Photo

What is and is not allowed ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

Ive read through all the forum rules and all that but im still left with a few questions.

No prerelease stuff seems to make common sence.

Im sure its been mentiond that photobooks are not allowed ?

However i find such things as any .vob file a grey area. Can anybody give an absolute answere to can i or can i not upload .vob files. Ive put just about my entire collection from DvDs i own onto my hardrive that way i will never damage them. So im left wondering am i allowed to upload any of this stuff or not ?

Some will say no you cant its an original, but on the same note you can see files which are just clearly a converted .vob file into something like an mpeg or avi.

#2 yakuruto

yakuruto

おーはー!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

I've asked haku before and he said .vob files are not allowed, if you convert them to .mpg or .avi then you can upload them. don't ask me why :blink:
Posted Image

#3 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:05 PM

There is nothing wrong/illegal with the format itself but since vob usually it is a raw dvd it is likely that ppl think it's ok to up ripped dvds if you say it's ok with .vob

I don't know how much the ripped dvd rule is in fact in use but I feel this tracker shouldn't be about piracy. It should be about spreading hard-to-get files (like tv-shows, radio programs, news) to people all around the world. The real fans should be able to spare some cash and buy the actual music (when it comes available :blink:) to support the artists.

But ya, an update on rules on uploading ripps would be nice.

#4 RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMooch

• Senpai
  • 1350 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

I can see why .vobs and direct from DVD rips aren't allowed. I got the vobs of Iroppoi Jirettai off of JPopSuki and all you havta do is burn it to a DVD and it's the exact same as if you bought it, just missing the card and cover.

And pre-released I can see too. If you have second thoughts on buying the single, you can always just download it nearly a week before it comes out. Then never think about buying it again.

I try to buy what I can... but since I don't have a job and it's so expensive to import anything, I'm limited on what I can and can't buy :blink: But if I can, I'll buy it :lol: I'm too addicted to getting packages and the covers/cases/extras. To me, those are nearly equal to the DVD or CD :lol: *major nerd*

#5 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

Well i own just about everything ive ever downloaded as an original anyway. If its good enough to download and i enjoy then its good enough to buy. Obviousely stuff that never got released does not count towards that.

Photobooks are a great example, there nice to download but they ar nothing compared to owning the real thing. I go for photobooks in a big way i love them, the truth is if i couldnt of downloaded so many i would hardly own any of the ones i currently have. Same goes for DvDs and Cds again if i could not download stuff i wouldnt buy alot of it. True some people will never buy the stuff and thats that basically, but for people like myself and i think i speak for a fair few of us here. We actyally get the stuff we really like.

#6 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:49 PM

so if u burn a single .vob file, it will ply as a dvd? u dont have to add anything to it

#7 ZONElover

ZONElover

Always my goddess !!!!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:42 PM

I think RyeCrimsonMoon got the main point around this.....

As you said vob files are just the same as an original dvd except for the covers and cards... i mean.... it�s a similar copy... almost a piracy.... i mean the objective here is to share files that a hard to find and eventually some release... but without the objective of promoting piracy traffic.... just to allow ppl to know hos is the file and if interested for a better qualitty buy the DVD...

The same reason for pre-releases.... we can�t just keep distributing copies of a new release... or we couldn�t be called fans...

You know ??? the main reason for not uploading vob files and pre-releases is that we want to let others know about our idols but we don�t want to start piracy and damage our idols sales..... that�s why tv programs and PVs doesn�t have any problem... but is different for dvd and pre-releases....
Maiko, Tomoka, Miyu, Mizuho and Takayo - We will always love you !!

Posted Image

#8 pippi

pippi

nino, my love

• Shinmem
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:56 AM

why dont you just buy the original ?????
I mean if the singer is from japan then buy 'made in japan'
if the singer from korea .. like boa .. then buy 'made in korea'
so that is real real original :D

I dont like downloadin ... too long ..
sometimes ..... when it reaches 99% then wooobbbsss ..... ^_^
pippilOtta da stOrmchazzzer ...
pipper - dragOnfly - fOrget me nOt - sakura - lil red dragOn gurl - yume - pippink peach
Posted Image

#9 Looshkin

Looshkin

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

Not trying to change the rules here, I can understand the reasons for not allowing these kind of files completely (internet police ^^; & encouraging to buy products) But I sort of have a discussion fever :) going on at the moment, so here goes:

As you said vob files are just the same as an original dvd except for the covers and cards... i mean.... it�s a similar copy... almost a piracy.... i mean the objective here is to share files that a hard to find and eventually some release... but without the objective of promoting piracy traffic

Isn't that the same with sharing the mp3 singles though? You can burn those mp3s on a cd, and there you have the single except for the cover and cards.

I don't know how things are in Japan when it comes to what appears on their tv and in what form, but isn't it more 'piracy' to share an Alo Hello episode (as far as I know this is dvd-only release) compared to a music video that is seen freely (again, as far as I know) on Japanese tv in VOB format?

edit: Not talking about the Making of which you can only find on the DVDs, just solely about the music video itself

#10 yakuruto

yakuruto

おーはー!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

The point isn't the material itself (video or audio) but the quaity. Some people here and in other places like .vob files because it's the same as DVD quality. With Divx and other codecs you can have near DVD quality in way smaller files, but it isn't DVD quality, so what the admin here is trying to say is "If you want DVD quality, buy the DVD"

I don't really understand why some guys make such a fuss for things like this, there are other trackers where .vob files are allowed, just go there and get the files if that's what you want ^^;
Posted Image

#11 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

I hope your talking about places like CDJapan, Yesasia, Amazon or other places where you can get original official goods.

Hello minasan! Please say congratulations to me! Yes, I just bought a whole bunch of DVDs from CDJapan - my first order! This is directly due to getting some files from this tracker ...

I said to myself: "you know, you SHOULD BUY SOMETHING! Pick the most favorite DVDs and get them now!" So I did.

I'm pretty excited to actually get the real thing, in the real wrapper, original quality.

A note about VOBs: What makes a VOB is the internal format - it DOES NOT automatically mean high(er) quality. For example, if somebody rips the DVD using "DVDShrink," you wind up with VOBs that have lower quality than the original VOBs.

Anybody can take any mpeg, any avi or whatever and use some DVD authoring software and make a DVD (hence VOBs). The result could well be video and audio quality than is nowhere near a good Divx encoding of the original. I have seen some amazing avi files on this and other trackers. They are not automatically worse than a VOB!

Relax and enjoy. Save up those yen, and once in a while - get the real thing and celebrate! :blink:

Thanks to all who shared files and made me to grow in my appreciation for these great artists!

#12 SataAndagi

SataAndagi

6th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

I'm like "Himalia", although, I don't own everything I've downloaded however, I do purchase a lot of what I do download. The only thing that actually stops me from owning it all is the fact that I can't afford to at this time. I have spent into the thousands of dollars though buying a lot of what I download.

I wish everyone could be like that but I know that's asking far to much. It is nice to hear that there are other ethical people out there ^^;

#13 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:28 AM

Whatever you can afford will do at the end of the day. Ive not bought much recently (a photobook and a few DvDs) thats mostly because im going to Japan in early October so i can get most stuff i want over there. Its a pity that you cant get more of the live preformances or the entire Hello Morning series on DvD, with or without subtitles.

#14 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

Druidist follower of the Goddess Kago

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:19 PM

A note about VOBs: What makes a VOB is the internal format - it DOES NOT automatically mean high(er) quality. For example, if somebody rips the DVD using "DVDShrink," you wind up with VOBs that have lower quality than the original VOBs.

XP Is that true?
I just started using DVDshrink.
Anyway I buy everything W that I download...also I do that with Minimoni.
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago
New signature coming probably never! :D

#15 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:13 AM

Is that true?
I just started using DVDshrink.

My comment about VOBs is mostly true, but not always. For example, if the DVD fits within the 4.7 GB of a single-layer DVD-R, then DVD Shrink will not reduce the quality, but if you try to fit a DVD that needs a dual-layer DVD, then DVD Shrink will automatically reduce ("shrink") the quality by just enough so that it fits. Or you can "re-author" the DVD, putting chapters in at different places, so that you get DVD files that can be split up. I think this is how some people make VOB files of individual songs - not the normal format of a DVD.

Now it is also possible to create a DVD from other files. In the process, the DVD authoring software will create VOB files, because that is the official data format of a DVD - but in this case, the quality can be no better than that of the original files. Converting to VOB will not magically make them appear in better quality.

I think what I have said is correct - but I invite you to do your own reasearch. Let me know if I got something seriously wrong, OK? :good:

#16 Van Demonium

Van Demonium

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

I have created VOB. files converting wmv files using SUPER, a free dowload (check it out). Even though the size was about 95% of a normal VOB. the quality wasn't. VOB. files are what a stand alone DVD player will recognise as its only playable format. All movie burning software (nero, roxio) will automatically convert avi, DivX, Xvid, mp4 and other common formats to VOB.s during creation of the DVD. HOWEVER, you can now buy newer DVD players that will play DivX format so 1 4.7 GB DVD has the potential to hold about 6.5 hours of near DVD quality video. Check it out for yourselves. Sneebs.
"I'm just watching a bad dream i'll never wake up from" - Spike Spiegel.
小川麻琴 forever.
Check out my band -

#17 opensky

opensky

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

HOWEVER, you can now buy newer DVD players that will play DivX format so 1 4.7 GB DVD has the potential to hold about 6.5 hours of near DVD quality video. Check it out for yourselves. Sneebs.

I agree. A DivX compatible DVD player is definitely the way to go if you have a lot of files and want to save HD space. I bought one last year and I love it. You can fit so many files and the quality is excellent.

A friend of mine once downloaded some .VOB files of some hollywood movies, and he received a letter from his internet provider statng that they were contacted by the movie company and he was warned to stop downloading movies. :lol:
Posted Image

#18 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

Some will say no you cant its an original, but on the same note you can see files which are just clearly a converted .vob file into something like an mpeg or avi.

I've asked haku before and he said .vob files are not allowed, if you convert them to .mpg or .avi then you can upload them. don't ask me why

.vob is mpeg-2. And what's converting? Renaming or re-encoding? I'm really curious if anyone know what really goes or not?

I mean.. rename your .vob and voila.. it's a fully functional .mpeg and suddenly you can upload it too, or can you?

#19 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:05 AM

I've asked haku before and he said .vob files are not allowed, if you convert them to .mpg or .avi then you can upload them. don't ask me why

.vob is mpeg-2. And what's converting? Renaming or re-encoding? I'm really curious if anyone know what really goes or not?

I mean.. rename your .vob and voila.. it's a fully functional .mpeg and suddenly you can upload it too, or can you?

@ yakuruto, basically some poor soul after waiting for hours to download the super hq of some video, sadly discovers that their pc sucks big time and can't understand wth is .vob's.. heheheh.. of course VLC could still open 'em (once they discover it, ..one of the choices.. another powerdvd.. etc..)

Anyway, I guess it's just a way to make sure that the stuff here is friendly to those "certain cases" ppl.

..on another note, before I finalize this post, i do realise that posting .vob is like ripping them directly.. and may cause *certain* parties to take *some actions*.. :c33: just guessing around.. :lol:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル
RI.DIU.SU,, RI.YU.SU,, RI.SA.I.KU.RU

p/s. AKB48 is Shmexy~ aRr~ >:] *ebil*

°-°Izu°-°

Amoz-senpai's Guide to Quoting/Editing
FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
updated: August 2007

#20 juicytwos

juicytwos

3rd gen member

• Uploader
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

You know...you can upload .vob files to the tracker now. Recent examples are H!P DVD Magazine Vol.6:

http://www.hello-onl...t=3499#filelist

The only thing that isn't allowed are pre-releases. Everything else in the tracker rules are just organizational, such as the use of romanized file names and english descriptions.