Photo

Tracker question: BT-client of choice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

Poll: Which torrent client do you use? (347 member(s) have cast votes)

Which torrent client do you use?

1. Original (12 votes [3.46%])

Percentage of vote: 3.46%

2. BitComet (124 votes [35.73%])

Percentage of vote: 35.73%

3. BitTornado (41 votes [11.82%])

Percentage of vote: 11.82%

4. Azureus (87 votes [25.07%])

Percentage of vote: 25.07%

5. ABC (12 votes [3.46%])

Percentage of vote: 3.46%

6. Others (71 votes [20.46%])

Percentage of vote: 20.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:58 AM

I have been seeding like crazy for awhile using Azureus BT Client. I always thought that it was a really good client and uploaded 5-7 torrents in a couple of hundred kb/s. But now I tried Shadow's experimental or whatever it's called and the speed increased to well over 700kb/s (single torrent). Yeah I know this could be all coincidence, that this torrent just happend to be a popular one or whatev, but shadow does seem faster.

My question is which client is best for seeding? Shadow's has all those fancy super-seed functions but Azureus has a lot of automated functions. Can anybody experineced tell me the difference between the clients? I think I read that someone recomended ABC but I don't really like that one =|

#2 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:26 AM

To me it seems that for each perosn its different i use Bit Tornado and it works great for me. While friends i know dont like it much and use things like comet and Azerus while the next perosn will use something different. If its woking for you stick with it afterall thats what counts.

#3 turbos86

turbos86

=P

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2731 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:44 AM

Personally, I use ABC for seeding/initial seeding. It has the Super-seed function that I found to be very useful. However, ABC tends to be very unstable and crash a lot.

Connection speed really depends on your internet connection and how you setup your BT client. Do some experimenting, or even look up google and see how other people seed files.

#4 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 05:32 AM

I like to use bitcomet...
Because it has more features than ABC and does not eat up much system resources...
Like abc and azereus it can put everything in one window...i also have some fun with shadow as well which can get very fast sometimes...
It all pretty much works the same for me i think...so stick with the one with you feel comfortable with

#5 Demenis

Demenis

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

Azureus has a super-seeding function as well.

I don't have the time or resources to find stuff for initial seeding, but I do want to give back to the community and while it isn't perfect, I think Azureus is closest to a what I want in a client for seeding options after the download completes. ABC and BitComet are much more limited in that respect. With Azureus, I'll have 20 or so completed torrents, but seed 6 at a time. The program automatically figures out which torrents need my bandwidth the most and seeds them based on rules I set up. It's much more flexible than the time and ratio options in ABC, and the ratio option in BitComet. In the one month I've been using Azureus, I've only seen one occasion where nothing was being seeded, but I tweaked the seeding rules a bit more, and I think that won't happen again. :wub:

The only question I have is how much of the tracker's resources I'm using with Azureus continuously scraping 20 torrents. :blink:

#6 memomu

memomu

H!O fileshare

• Senpai
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:15 PM

Im I the only one using TorrentStorm? http://www.torrentstorm.com/

It's easy to use and it works fine, btw, could you guys post some screens of those programs that you use?, just want to know if it's like TorrentStorm... :blink:

#7 Johan

Johan

9th gen member

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

It's easy to use and it works fine, btw, could you guys post some screens of those programs that you use?, just want to know if it's like TorrentStorm... :blink:

yeah u are im use azureus
Hello Project & Hello Morning fan!
away good /home/johan best :)

#8 Zandar

Zandar

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

I'm using Bittornado version 0.3.1, I believe version 0.3.10 is allready out.
But I just stick to the one that hasn't given me any hassle yet.
Here's a screenshot of an older version but it's the same style as the one that I have, but I do get a green light instead of a yellow light.
Posted Image
If it ain't Musume, I don't want it.
Posted Image
by courtesy of Lainay.

#9 DrWorm

DrWorm

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:31 AM

I used to use TorrentStorm for a while, but switched over to Azureus when TorrentStorm stopped updating (they still haven't since June). I'd recommend switching as there's been numberous updates to the bittorrent clients since then.

As for screenshots, just go to the websites for Azureus and BitComet (do a web search) for the programs.

#10 ghostwolf

ghostwolf

HPS seeder

• Uploader
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:00 AM

I use Azureus on my windows machine. I'm going to test ctorrent on my comming linux server/seeder machine. ctorrent is sopouse to use less memory.

#11 MMFAN

MMFAN

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

i sue only TorrentStorm :wub:

Its the best :wub:
ITALIAN Morning Musume FAN

#12 Johan

Johan

9th gen member

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

http://jpopbits.no-i...der/azureus.gif
edit
torrents i seeding :blink:

Over sized picture changed to link.

Edited by turbos86, 29 January 2005 - 08:15 AM.

Hello Project & Hello Morning fan!
away good /home/johan best :)

#13 tchenku_rms13

tchenku_rms13

6th gen member

• Uploader
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:23 AM

i use the "experimental" BT client. i forget the actual name

it's the simplest one etc etc so i like it. each torrent hogs a good bit of RAM but it doesnt hurt computer performance too much unless running for days and days, ending and starting torrents constantly.
shift_Mikitty

#14 Chr0n0

Chr0n0

7th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:57 AM

BitTornado is my preferred client for seeding now, I like the super-seeding function
oink!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~人間玩具Chr0n0~
Founder & Scanner, DPG
Translator & Procastrinator, Mangaproject
Timer & Encoder & Tea Server, HPS

#15 yots

yots

4th gen member

• Senpai
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

bittornado...
because i can use gui or only the command line ^^

#16 Zandar

Zandar

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:01 PM

bittornado...

I also use bittornado, but with the gui.
I'm curious how do you use it through the command line?
Is there a difference then?
If it ain't Musume, I don't want it.
Posted Image
by courtesy of Lainay.

#17 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:01 PM

I also use BitTornado, but what is "superseeding"? I have read the tutorials, but I still don't quite get it. What is it good for????

#18 ghostwolf

ghostwolf

HPS seeder

• Uploader
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Super seeding = fair seeding, or somting like that. It is a mode then you pritoritise peaple that have high share ration. (my english suck at the moment). this mode is realy useful if you are only uploading and it leaves the leachers behind (peaple with more or less none in upload speed)

#19 jimjerjr

jimjerjr

7th gen member

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:31 PM

Oh thanks. I think I get it. If I have, say 35% of the file downloaded, but I have already shared >100% of that, I will get priority (from a superseed) on the remaining bytes that I need over somebody who didn't share as much of their downloaded bytes. Is this correct?

#20 yots

yots

4th gen member

• Senpai
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

bittornado...

I also use bittornado, but with the gui.
I'm curious how do you use it through the command line?
Is there a difference then?

don't know if you can do it on windows.... if you have linux, you just type btdownloadheadless --options (max upload, superseed etc) file.torrent

the only difference....is that you can't change the options while downloanding (max upload, max download etc)...
the obvious advantage is that it use less resources (and if you have an old pc like mine, you need it ^^; ).... it will show the %, the seeder/leecher, how much you have download and upload like the "normal" bittornado :w00t: