43 replies to this topic

#1 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Dreams on a Sparkling Stage ☆ 〜Seasons with Morning Musume〜

recently i put my graphics thread on hiatus, and since i can't make graphics for a long while sob i've been writing fanfics on my phone.
so this is one series i wanted to share with everyone, i hope it's readable :)

disclaimer: not everything in my story will be technically perfect; i may have tweaked the audition process etc here and there a little bit. so if you find any problem with it, just blame me for trying to be creative :lol:

also, i'm sorry but i'm replacing real 9th gen with fictional 9th gen. mostly because i thought of the plot before they arrived. but 9th gen will still be making a cameo :)

summary: hanaki mei is a typical school girl with huge dreamsーshe wants to be an idol. she longs for the delight and thrill of performing on a huge stage, so when the 9th generation auditions for Morning Musume are announced, there's no question what she has to do. the only problem is...what is she willing to sacrifice for being an idol?

characters below table of contents! you can't miss it.

CONTENTS
Chapter 1 & 2
Chapter 3 & 4
Chapter 5: Unexpected Disaster
Chapter 6: Rekindled Hope
Chapter 7: Eh?! Surprise Triumph
Chapter 8: Finally Finals
Chapter 9: Rivals, I won't lose!
Chapter 10: Game Start!
Chapter 11: Let's be closer
Chapter 12: Dancing is our passion, our rivalry
Chapter 13: I want to show myself to the world!
Chapter 14: This tension is heating up
Chapter 15: The Audition Concludes!
Chapter 16: A Final Showdown
Chapter 17: Confession
Chapter 18: Sweet Taste of Victory

CHARACTERS (i used the CG maker for this, how smart am i lol)

Posted Image
HANAKI MEI
Nickname: Hana, Meichan
Birthday: May 16 1996
Bloodtype: O
Hometown: Tokyo
Hobby: Dancing, purikura, blogging
Special skill: Flexibility

Posted Image
TAKASU YUME
Nickname: Takkirin
Birthday: August 10 1996
Bloodtype: A
Hometown: Saitama
Hobby: Singing, eating, going to karaoke
Special skill: Hula hoop

Posted Image
KIMURA MAYU
Nickname: Kimacchi
Birthday: June 15 1997
Bloodtype: AB
Hometown: Saitama
Hobby: Drums, calligraphy
Special skill: Facial expressions

Posted Image
NAKANO UMIKA
Nickname: Umi
Birthday: November 2 1995
Bloodtype: AB
Hometown: Chiba
Hobby: Reading manga
Special skill: Baton twirling

Posted Image
FUJIWARA HITOMI
Birthday: September 29 1996
Bloodtype: B
Hometown: Fukuoka

FIRST TWO CHAPTERS BELOW!

meee.jpg

Check out my personal blog!

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

▷ Update: ℃-ute - THE FUTURE Dance Cover //

#2 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

Chapter 1: This is my dream

Humming the tune from Morning Musume's Love Machine, I skip out the door and head to the postbox to fetch today's newspapers.

In the newspaper, there's an advertisement.

It says: "After two years, Morning Musume is looking for new members! If you like to sing, dance and want to show off your talent, please audition for the 9th generation of members!"

Eh? Morning Musume is my favourite idol group! They are part of Hello! Project, an idol agency which also produces idol groups C-ute and Berryz Koubou.

Not to mention Morning Musume has the most wonderful, most talented, most gorgeous girl there is.

Takahashi Ai.

She's the reason why I love to sing J-pop songs in the shower, the reason why I took up dance since I was six when I first saw Morning Musume's concert, the reason why one day I dream of becoming just like her.

She's my idol.

And Morning Musume is the most respectable and amazing idol group in Japan! They're having 9th generation auditions? I think for a while.

I love singing.
I especially love dancing.
I absolutely, absolutely love Morning Musume! (And Takahashi Ai)

I think back to the time when i went to Morning Musume's concert when I was six. The arena was pulsating with energy, the stage lit up with the brightness and power of the girls who sang and danced their way into the audience's hearts, including mine. The introduction of the new fifth generation members revealed Takahashi Ai, a young, awkward girl who didn't look like a grown up at all. She was only fifteen, and her dreams were already flourishing on the enormous stage.

At that point in time, as I saw her performing her heart out, the hope of the star of tomorrow shining brighter than the real stars in the sky.

Yosh. I've decided...I will audition for Morning Musume and reach for my dreams! I'm going to grab this chance, and follow in Takahashi Ai's footsteps.

That afternoon I go online and print out the audition application form. I have to answer basic personal questions, and provide front and side photos. Ah...am I cute enough? Morning Musume is pretty and cute, I can't look hideous.

I study my face in the mirror, peering at all my funny little features. There's a little mole under my left eye―my mother calls it a beauty spot, but sometimes I think it looks like a fly landed on my face. But I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem, lots of H!P girls have oddly placed moles and still look great. Like Yuuka.

I bare my teeth into a little smile, and a tooth peeps out. The tiny fang on top on the right side of my mouth. I've never gotten around to getting it fixed, because my friends tell me it gives my smile character. Which is true, in a way, but does yaeba give me a good image?

Well, whatever. I shouldn't think so much. I run a hairbrush through my black waist-length hair, making sure it's silky and smooth.

I set up my special edition Rilakkuma camera on the table, and smile my way through a few snapshots. When I'm done selecting a few close up shots, I prop my camera on the shelf to take the full body shot.

After a while of fretting, I send the application to the Hello! Project offices. I hope I make it to the first round, at least...

Three months after I sent in the form, nothing happens still. But I come home from school one day to good news.

"ONEE-CHAN!" My little sister Machi barrels through the hallway and into my arms. "You got in, you got in!"

"EH?!" I shuffle my feet into my home slippers and steer Machi into the living room. "What?"

Machi waves a letter around. "You passed the application, so now you have to go for the first audition!"

It's true...I was accepted for the audition! Yatta! YATTA! I didn't think I would really get in...this is unbelievable. My dream is blooming, unfolding into reality. I'm one step closer to reliving my fantasy.

Next goal: The audition!

Chapter 2: I'm on my way!

I'm nervous. Today's the audition day, where I would be going to the studios in Saitama to perform my solo audition. If I pass, I will enter the semifinal round of 40 girls, and from there they will choose a handful of girls for the final audition.

When Mama drops me off at the studio building, I clutch my bag anxiously. Mama gives me a big hug, then pops back into the car and drives off, waving from the window. We made an agreement, Mama and I, that I would do the audition on my own. She knows I get nervous.

Inside the building, there are throngs of girls everywhere. Hundreds of them, there must be!

Ah...feeling a bit lost, I head towards the reception counter where there's already a messy queue of girls and parents. When it's my turn, I give the necessary identification, and the lady behind the counter gives me a number tag with my name.

"621 (Hanaki Mei)" the tag reads.

Does that mean I'm the 621st applicant?! Eh ~ There're so many girls here...and not to mention the other audition venues in the rest of the country! I decide to wait in a corner before the formal audition starts. I flip open my phone, and a torrent of good luck messages hit the homescreen.

Hehe! I giggle softly, scrolling down the list of messages. Ii ne ~ My friends are really the best...

"Attention." The speaker crackles. I look up and see a lady wearing a suit speaking into a mic at the far end of the hall.

"Girls who are auditioning for the 9ki audition of Morning Musume, please be prepared once you have received your number tags. Applicants number 1 to 500, please move to the back of this hall where you will have your singing audition. Applicants number 501 to 1000, please follow the directions to the dance studio where you have your dance audition. Good luck!"

At once, a frenzy explodes across the hall as everyone rushes to find their venue. I eventually squeeze into a herd of girls heading towards the dance studio, holding my number tag in place so it doesn't fall off.

Inside the spacious dance studio, there are cameras and screen partitions scattered all over, along with backstage people walking around. We are assembled into many different groups, so that we are split among the judges.

Hmm. I count the heads in front of me, and realise I am the 28th in line. Ii ne, there's still a lot of time! I decide to stretch my muscles a little, so I'd be ready to dance my best.

Dancing is what I'm best at, and I'm determined to give it my all!

While I'm stretching my legs, there's a tap on my shoulder. I turn around in surprise to see a girl about my age.

"Ano, you have to move up..." she says.

I turn back around and true enough, there's a little gap of space between me and the girl in front. AH.

"Gomen, gomen!" I quickly scoot in front. "It's cool." The girl smiles back. Looking closely, she's really pretty. She has shoulder-length, silky black hair and those type of eyes that are always twinkling and smiling.

"You must be really serious about passing the audition," she says with a smile. "Ah, I'm Takasu Yume. Please call me Yume, nice to meet you, Mei-chan!" she reads off my tag.

I return the grin. "Un, I guess you could say that. I really love singing and dancing, especially dancing!"

Yume laughs. "Thought as much! You have a really good dancer-like body, I'm so envious! Who do you like in Morning Musume? Michishige is pretty much the best."

"No, Aichan is the best..."

As we talk, a genuine smile grows on my face. I've already made a friend! And she's fifteen, the same age as me! It might be wishful thinking, but it would be so great if we got into Morning Musume together!

Soon, it's my turn. Yada, that was fast! I hastily take my place at the centre in front of the panel of four judges.

"I'm Hanaki Mei, and I love Morning Musume, especially Takahashi Ai because she inspires me to follow my dreams. I will do my best for this audition, and give it my all." I fluently recite the introduction that I rehearsed for weeks, though by the look of it the judges have probably heard this from every participant they see. Great. Well, nevermind.

I take a deep breath - and throw out my arm as I launch into the opening steps of Iroppoi Jirettai, my favourite dance ever performed by Morning Musume.

I give every ounce of energy into the dance, making sure I hit all the right flicks and spots, and at the same time sewing all the movements together seamlessly. At the end, I hold the ending pose for a few seconds before returning to an upright position. I try to smile relaxedly while the judges deliberate. Eventually they nod at me and I walk away, vibrating with exhilaration.

YATTA! Just as I'm about to sit down in the holding area, I notice Yume dancing Nanchatte Renai by Morning Musume. Hey, she's good too...

Two hours later, I find myself back in the hall again, waiting for my turn or the vocal segment of the audition. I take a sip of my water, hoping to soothe my throat so I can belt out my stuff later on.

Behind me, Yume is trying out a few notes for size. She has an amazing voice; it reminds me of Fujimoto Miki's. "Your voice is brilliant," I say. Yume flushes and grins back sheepishly.

When it comes to my turn, I find I am not as confident of my singing as I am of my dancing. Ami, my best friend at home, says people like my voice because it's cute. But can it extend to the impression of the judges?

I sing Shooting Star by S/mileage. I begin to smile, because it's such an adorable song! When I finish, the judges write down notes while I stand there breathless. They nod, and I promptly dismiss myself so I can watch Yume sing Shabondama.

Of course, she rocks it.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#3 enfo

enfo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Even though I'm only 2 chapters in, I'm captivated, and can feel little mei's determination, and nice work creating faces for the characters, it gives your story a personal touch.
We're eagerly awaiting the next installment :D

#4 Hexoone

Hexoone

The Embodiment of Schrödinger's cat and the Two Sided Coin.

• Senpai
  • 5378 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

The much awaited and anticipated story of the year is just unfolding. Feast your eyes. <3

Cant wait.

post-86820-0-64715800-1379316256.jpg

Thanks and credits to ` ♥ [ Apple Cake's Graphics ]~

#5 MayaChanShiDae

MayaChanShiDae

basically inactive

• Senpai
  • 2327 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Really good :)

aikagifwtex.gif
♥ Morning Musume (Sayu, Eripon, Aichan, Haruna, Miki, Nine smile lineup) H!P (Maimai, Nakky, Captain) ♥
♥ Sig by xdrewdrawdrawn ♥ Avvie by Jamie ♥ Voted Greatest High-King and Milky Way fan 2011 ♥

♥ Kikka 
TwitterTumblr

#6 Ebii

Ebii

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

I like it a lot, now that auditions started again I'm even more excited ~ XD. Nice touch to use the idol maker, they are all cute!
(・∀・)ノ☆

#7 kagaki

kagaki

I love Captain too much...

• Senpai
  • 4781 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

It's good so far
I can't wait for another chapter ^_^

83647689.jpg

Set created by reinalovesllamas~

Shimizu Saki and Okai Chisato

#8 Mei.ka~

Mei.ka~

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2211 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hehe, the Glico Oshimen maker is awesome! I will get to reading the actual story right away since I just saw the pictures and decided to comment on them. ^^;

VwvggPK.jpg
Avatar and Signature by Me ~I love cheese! X3~"
Graphics Thread

#9 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

thank you for all your warm comments everyone! <3 i can't wait too. i hope you all look forward to the coming chapters!
here's chapter 3 and chapter 4!

Chapter 3: An Idol loves her friends at home!

The long audition is finally over. After saying goodbye to my new friend Yume and exchanging email addresses, I began to head home. On the train back, I start to wonder if I have performed well enough today. Thousands of girls have auditioned all over the country, will I make it into the final 40? Ah, please, please let me pass! And Yume too!

The next day, my friends pounce on me during breaktime.
"Ne, Mei-chan, how was it?"
"Did you meet Tsunku-san?"
"Were there really millions of girls?"

The commotion simmers down once I have recounted the audition experience.

"It sounds so cool," Sachi, the class rep, says. "I'm sure you will get it, you're such a good dancer and singer."

"Sou sou!" Ami chimes in, opening her lunchbox. "It would be even cooler because Mei-chan is our friend!"

Riku leans on me. "Hana-chan, will you give us free concert tickets?"

I laugh. "I don't want to get your hopes up, but..." I begin.

"Hanaki-san auditioned for Morning Musume?"

I look up to see Ikeuchi Hiroki, our classmate, looking curiously at us. My cheeks immediately turn red, because I have liked Hiroki since the beginning of the year. He has dark, messy hair and a cute quirky grin. He's nice to everyone, and when he sees me he's always smiling. Sometimes when I'm dreaming, I like to think he'll confess to me one day.

Unfortunately, they know this.

"Hiroki-kun~" Ami squeals. "Doesn't Mei-chan look cute enough to be a Musume?"

"Ne, Acchan!" I protest, and give her a small shove. Sachi and Riku burst into peals of laughter. I flush even redder; I'm so embarrassed. What will he think of me now?

But when I look at Hiroki, his face is red too. "Yeah, she is," he says, then quickly turns and walks away.

Eh?

Chapter 4: Ah? There's progress

Two months pass by without incident, and finally the results of the final 40 are due. Yume and I begin to email each other everyday, asking again and again if we have received any news.

Yume often sends me an email like this:
"Ohamyou Hanameimei! Any news?! No?! Ehhhh yada! Maa ii janai, look at this funny picture. Omoshiroi ne!!"

She always makes me laugh. Even if either of us doesn't make it, I'm sure we'll stay friends. Though of course I hope we do get in!

Finally, I receive an email from Yume one day.

"Hanahime!!!!!!! I got in!!! Yatta yatta yatta! What about you??"

I gasp. Yume got in! That's wonderful, but...what about ME? The next few days, I still have no news. I am kept on tenterhooks, awaiting in agony for the results. Emails from Yume continue to shoot in, but they only make me even more anxious.

If I don't get in, I don't know how I'd cope with the disappointment. I've come so close, I don't want to be dropped now. Every day waiting is another day I seize up in panic whenever I get an email.

Though if I didn't make it, my family would probably treat me to a nice dinner to cheer up, like steak. Or maybe sushi and mochi? Actually, I think I'd rather pass the audition and live my dreams. I want to meet Takahashi Ai, and perform alongside her and Morning Musume!

I remain tense, awaiting the results.

Until one day, I finally get an email from the agency.

"Dear Hanaki-san, we are pleased to informed you that you have passed to the semifinal round of auditions for Morning Musume 9ki Auditions. Details of the preliminary round is in the following email."

Eh...I did it. I really did it. I'm into the next round. I am one step closer to my dream. Which means...

I beat thousands of girls in Japan.

YATTAAAA!
Aichan, wait for me!

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#10 Hexoone

Hexoone

• Senpai
  • 5378 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

nice easy suspense~ SO GOOD. <3

demand moar~ >8D

#11 Mei.ka~

Mei.ka~

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2211 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

I read all the chapters so far and I like it! Although I do think it's a little fast-paced, it makes it fun and easier to read. And I thought that chapter 3 was really cute and the best chapter so far. *Sigh*, that'd be so cool if that happened for real~! Keep it up!

VwvggPK.jpg
Avatar and Signature by Me ~I love cheese! X3~"
Graphics Thread

#12 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

thank you all! :D this time the chapters are gonna go slower, don't worry ~

Chapter 5: Unexpected Disaster

My family was overjoyed at my success in the last audition, and that night we went out for grilled seafood dinner. I am so happy! I really am so blessed.

As for now, I am waiting with Yume in the waiting room of the agency headquarters with 38 other girls. Everyone is absolutely thrilled to be in the second round!

Today we not only have to sing and dance again, but we will be reviewed by Tsunku himself! It's just too exciting!

I wonder if the members of Morning Musume will watch us too. I imagine Takahashi Ai looking at me perform, impressed, and my stomach flutters.

I check to make sure my original number tag is still there, and at the moment the same lady from the previous audition appears and gives us instruction to go to the dance studio.

"Right now, you will be having your solo song and dance please. All of you should have sent in your pieces as mentioned in the last instructions given prior to this audition. Please follow me to the studio and prepare yourself. After that, you will go to the second studio for your interview."

There's a faint murmur of anticipation as everyone heads to the studio. It's a smaller studio than the previous one, and everyone sits on chairs split into two groups. I take a seat beside Yume, and we both try not to look too nervous.

There seems to be even more cameras than the last time...I gulp excitedly as the first people take their turn.

Wow. These girls are really good, aren't they? They're all so pretty, and so cute too. Look at that one! Her hair's so swishy. And her teeth! They're so blindingly white, and perfectly neat. I poke my tongue around inside my mouth, feeling my fang. Hmm.

Yume pokes me lightly in the side. "Ne, Tsunku's watching us now!"

Even though I know he's only watching through a camera, I turn to face the door. Nope. Of course he isn't here.

"I know...I hope I don't mess up!" I fret anxiously.

"You won't." Yume holds my hands, squeezing them reassuringly. "I know you can do it, Mei-chan. Just be yourself! If you sing and dance like you always do, you'll blow them away. I promise."

"Yume-chan..." I'm so touched by her words. Yume is truly, truly a great person!

All right. I'll relax now.

Time passes and girls dance on and off the stage. I can't pay attention to them―I'm too nervous. Eventually, it's my turn. "Ganbatte, Hana-chan!" Yume whispers.

I take my place in front of the judges. I take a deep breath, and glance at the CD player where my music will play from. Suddenly I notice an entanglement of cables near my feet.

Eh? Uso! What if I trip? Who left those cables there? Why, WHY didn't I pay attention before I came up? Do I―

Before I can complete my thought, the opening lines of Koko ni Iruzee blare out of the music player. AH! I can't do anything else...I'll just have to wing it!

With a frantic glance at the cables, I began the dance, holding the mic in my hand. I dance my way through the beginning, trying to maneuver my feet away from the cables.

"Yes, wonderland! ..."

Keeping my face carefully calm, I hold my breath as I throw out the steps flawlessly, as I always do. Yes! I can do it! I can ignore the stupid wires below and dance my best!

Then it all happens too soon. As I spin around during a move, my foot catches against the cable and throws me off balance. Time seems to slow down as I feel myself being pulled towards the ground. It's coming closer, closer...

THUMP!

I breathe.
Maybe it was a bad idea to forget the cables.

There's a shocked silence - then at once there's a flurry of stage as everything seems to turn to me.
My ankle starts throbbing mercilessly, waves of pain stripping it of its ability to move. The cameras continue rolling as I sit there, stunned, and someone hauls me to my feet and whizzes me off before I can say anything.
As I'm being hustled off, I catch a glimpse of Yume's face. It's full
of concern and sympathy, and I just want to melt my sadness in her warmth.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#13 enfo

enfo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Ahh drama, was wondering when that was going to come into play, poor Mei!
I love where this is going, keep the chapters coming! :D

#14 Hexoone

Hexoone

• Senpai
  • 5378 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

wow. interesting cliff you've got there. 8D

#15 Glasseyelashes

Glasseyelashes

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 10775 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

she should just get a free ride to morning musume. i mean, the tangled cords ARE the staff's fault! :P

#16 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

thank you all! <3
^ LOL, if only that was possible, i'd be sabotaging the audition in no time for a chance to be a member XD

Chapter 6: Rekindled Hope

I sit uncomfortably on the metal bench in the sick bay, with my stiff, taped up ankle propped up on a foot stool. As I fidget on the cold, hard surface, I can hear faint traces of music travelling through the air.

A lump rises in my throat. The horrible memory of spraining my ankle in front of everyone replays in my mind, and my back prickles with mortification and sadness. I was so close. So, so close. I'll never get to the finals now. I'll never be in Morning Musume. I'll never be able to perform with Takahashi Ai, or with the other members I admire so much.

Has my effort been wasted? Just by one fall?

I'm wallowing so deeply in my misery that I don't see the figure that has parked in front of me.

"Are you all right?"

I raise my head and to my utmost surprise, Tsunku, the almighty producer of Hello! Project is standing in front of me. I gasp, and automatically launch my butt off the bench to stand.

A searing pain shoots through my ankle, and I try to hide the pain on my face.

"Ex―excuse me!!" I exclaim, my voice wobbles.

Tsunku lifts up a hand lets out a throaty chuckle.

"Please sit." He gestures towards the bench. I numbly lower myself. "Are you all right? I heard about your fall."

My heart begins to thump and my face reddens. Tsunku saw me mess up! This couldn't get anymore embarrassing.

"Ye...yes. Thank you." My voice comes out as a indistinct mumble. Then I stop. What am I doing? I'm not supposed to give up now. I can't be weak.

"I mean...yes! I'm feeling much better!" I force as natural a smile as possible, and beam at Tsunku. "I'm pretty much fine!"

Oh, wait. I shouldn't be saying that, what if he asks me to perform right here and now?

But Tsunku just looks at me with a curious expression. Then he pulls a chair over and sits down so that he's facing me.

"Hanaki-san." He knows my nams? Oh right. I have a name tag. "Do you like Morning Musume?"

For a second, I'm taken aback. Then I take a deep breath―and start talking about how much I admire and adore Morning Musume. Morning Musume are my role models; hardworking, ambitious, beautiful. Takahashi Ai is the ever reliable leader, the one that leads the group and pulls them together. I want to be just like them.

I talk about the first and only time I ever saw them: the concert in my hometown when I was six. The atmosphere had been just amazing, bursting with energy and full of life. It was such an incredible experience, and I explain how I have always wanted to do something like that.

I describe my experience under the stage. I want to be on it. I want to be the one that brings happiness to people, having received so much myself. There's so many sides of me I want to show to the world, to be able to perform and open up to everyone is my dream.

Somehow, I veer a little off and begin talking about the other groups in Hello! Project, especially the Hello! Project kids who had grown as idols. I talk more and more animatedly, and I feel myself getting excited.

Then I stop myself practically in the middle of a sentence. What am I doing, blabbering on like this? I give an embarrassed cough.

Tsunku chuckles "You are very passionate."

I nod a bit shyly. There's a pause, then Tsunku draws himself up.

"Take care of yourself, Hanaki-san." He smiles, and leaves the room.

Ah...that was really weird. And amazing. Tsunku just talked to me. TSUNKU! If it's any consolation, I'll be able to brag about this to my friends and forget my failure.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#17 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Chapter 7: Eh?! Surprise Triumph

The next day, my classmates flock around me the whole day as I maneuver around on crutches. Ami, Riku and Sachi take turns to help carry my things and help
me around. Even though I'm really thankful, the attention's starting to become kind of embarrassing.

On the plus side, Hiroki has been looking at me quite a few times today. It's kind of nice. But also a bit of a throw off that I have to butcher my foot to get his attention.

During lunch, my friends firmly fit me into my chair and take out my lunchbox for me.

"Uwah, looks like mama packed me extra stuff today!" I goggle at the thick slices of tamago and unagi. There's even my favourite strawberry daifuku, which Mama doesn't usually pack for me.

Ami giggles. "If there's something good about twisting your ankle, it's strawberry daifuku!"

I smile ruefully, and pick up my chopsticks. As I scoop up the grains of rice, my gaze gets lost in the white purity of the rice. My mind flicks back to my failed audition. Then I remember Yume.

Yume. I never saw or heard from her, except for a get-well-soon text I got shortly after that day. I didn't reply because I'd been too tired.

I wonder if she got into the final audition? I'm sure she did. She's brilliant. And she didn't trip and fall.

Okay, stop it! I shouldn't be like this. The audition was just a fun experience. I wasn't really serious about it in the first place. I think.

Anyway, I have school to concentrate on. I need to prepare for final exams, and there's high school entrance exams...and then...

Suddenly, there's a buzz from my pocket. I fish out my cell phone and flip it open, and there's a blinking envelope icon. Ah? It's a number I don't know...

"Hanachan, who is it?" Sachi says, sucking the filling out of her cream puff. "Don't do that!" Tomomi and Ami giggle.

"Un...I don't know..." I open the email and read it.

"HANAKI MEI: We are pleased to inform you that you have passed to the final auditions for the 9th generation of Morning Musume. Congratulations! The details of the final audition camp are below..."

...huh. Is that...could it...wait, what? What?!

I stare at the words.
"Passed...final auditions...congratulations."

Impossible. I botched my last audition! How could this...how could this happen?

Strangely, the memory of talking to Tsunku surfaces in my mind.

Seeing my expression, my friends rush to my side and grab hold of my phone, eagerly scanning the screen. Then they stop dead too. For a moment, all of us lapse into shocked silence.

"KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Ami screams, then grabs my phone and thrusts it in the air. "A-Acchan!" I gasp.

"YOU DID IT! MEI, YOU DID IT!" The three of them start hugging me. Soon, the other classmates are surrounding me.

"Sugoi ne! Hanaki-san's almost in Morning Musume!"
"Hana-ki! Make us proud!"
"You're so cute!"

Then Hiroki approaches my desk. My cheeks flush, and my heart begins to beat even faster.

"Congratulations, Hanaki-san." He grins at me. "I knew you'd make it."

"I, um...I didn't think I would." I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, suddenly shy. Tomomi bursts into laughter, and I surreptitiously pinch her wrist. The laughter dissolves, and so does the stain across my skin.

I beam radiantly at Hiroki, my eyes sparkling. "Thank you!"

I'm not sure if it's just me, but Hiroki seems to blush.

---

Tonight, my family is celebrating my surprise success at my favourite yakiniku restaurant. Machi has been jumping up and down all day. I'm so excited too!

Then I remember Yume again. I should call her...but what if she didn't get in? I wouldn't like to touch on a sore point...

Oh, I'll just call her. To catch up. And then casually drop in a remark about me moving on to the finals.

Yume picks up on the second ring. "Moshi moshi...Mei-chan?"

"Y...yeah." I bite my lip to keep from blurting out the news immediately. I'm absolutely bursting already!

"Mei-chan? How are you? Are you okay? What happened to your ankle? Is it going to heal soon?"

I smile. "Yes, it's fine, thank you. How...how are you?" I add tentatively.

There's a pause. "I'm good, yeah." Another pause. "Oh, and um. Just saying. I, uh, got into the final auditions for Morning Musume."

At the moment, I'm speechless with joy, relief, excitement and pure glee. My tongue's tied, and I can't uncoil it fast enough to express my happiness.

"Mei-chan?" Yume sounds a bit guilty. "I'm sorry, I just thought I should tell y―"

"WE GOT IN! We're going to finals TOGETHER!" I shriek, jumping up and down.

"Wha―EHHH! Really?! I thought...you...let's do our best together!" Yume screams along with me now. "We'll get into Morning Musume...together!"

Nothing could fully express my feelings. I spend the next two hours talking to Yume over the phone until it's time for dinner.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#18 Hexoone

Hexoone

• Senpai
  • 5378 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

WOW. epic! I can totally feel the suspense. wow. very NICE! Its almost magical! XD

#19 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Chapter 8: Finally Finals

It's today. It's finally today!

The final audition camp for the 9th generation of Moning Musume!

Yume and I stand at the entrance of the building, after our parents have dropped us off. We grin each other, holding on to our duffel bags, which are filled with whatever we need for the coming week.

"I can't believe it." My mouth curls into a wide smile all by itself. "We're here."

"We're here," Yume echoes, looking dazed.

We pick up our bags and enter the doors with a determined stride. Inside the foyer, there's a desk. A man is sitting at it in front of a conputer, and when he sees us he stands up.

"You are here for the audition?"

"Yes," Yume says clearly and firmly. "I'm Takasu Yume. She's Hanaki Mei."

"If I could see your confirmation letter and ID...?"

After fiddling with cards, photos and certificates, a woman with a UFA tag clipped on her lapel approaches us.

"Takasu-san, Hanaki-san, I am Shinoda Rie, the audition coordinator. I will be bringing you to your room. Please follow me."

Room? We'll be sharing a room? Yume and I look excitedly at each other, and pad along behind the woman down the hall.

We arrive at a hallway with several rooms. Shinoda-san brings us to the door marked 202, and slides it open. The room is like a traditional Japanese room, with a tatami flooring and sliding doors. There's a TV and VCR though, and two vanity tables. A bathroom leads off into a corner.

"Wow!" Yume smiles widely, and nudges her duffel bag off her shoulder.

"You may set up your futons at night, they're in that cupboard over there." Shinoda-san points at a cupboard. "You have fifteen minutes to settle yourselves, then I will come again," she adds, then leaves the room.

For a moment Yume and I look each other, our faces stretched into silly grins. Then we spontaneously leap at each other into a euphouric bear hug, squealing and laughing.

"Is it normal?" Yume gasps, shaking in my shoulders. "To be this excited?"

I struggle to put on a stoic face. "Stop being childish. There's nothing to be so excited about."

Yume pokes me in my side, and I collapse into laughter.

After a few more giggles, we settle down to unpacking our things. A while later, Shinoda-san appears again.

"Please come with me, I will bring you to the gymnasium where you will meet the other finalists and be briefed."

The other finalists. Girls every bit as good as us, who fought to the very end for a place. I feel a prickle of anticipation as I walk down the hall.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

#20 Apple Cake

Apple Cake

Maimai ♔ Zukki

• Senpai
  • 2176 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

Chapter 9: Rivals, I won't lose!

Yume and I enter the conference room after Shinoda-san. Seated near the front is a man in a suit. He has a UFA badge on his lapel too.

In front of him is a girl around our age with long, silky black hair flowing softly down her back. When she turns around, I see that her face is amazingly beautiful.

Pale, rosy skin, big doe eyes accentuated by long dark lashes, and shiny pink lips. Such natural, gorgeous features make me feel pale in comparison.

After a pause, Yume dips over in a small bow and I hastily follow. "Shitsureishimasu."

"This is Hanaki Mei-san and Takasu Yume-san." Shinoda-san introduces us.

The man smiles, and I feel strangely reassured. He invites us to sit.

"Good morning. I'm Nobihiko Shinji, the audition supervisor. I'll be briefing you on the audition process this week."

After a short exchange of "yoroshiku"s and bows, Yume and I sit down in chairs facing the pretty girl. She smiles at us, and her face becomes even more radiant. We smile back shyly.

Shinoda-san's pager beeps, and she excuses herself out of the room. The rest of us remain inside, an awkward silence hanging. I look surreptitiously around the room. It's white and modern, and looks really high class. I suddenly feel a bit frumpy in my own clothes.

But it's amazing to be in a UFA office...it still feels like a dream, being one of the finalists. I swallow a rising grin, but the blush has already escaped to my cheeks. The pretty girl sees this, and her shining eyes crinkle in amusement. My eyes smile back at her. It seems like we'll become friends!

After a while, Shinoda-san returns. This time, another two girls enter behind her. The first girl enters. "Shi-shitsureishimasu..." She stammmers.

Her hair's tied into two cute braids winking from either side of her neck, and her cheeks are chubby and rosy. She's small and petite, though she's wearing a baggy sweatshirt that looks too big for her. She's so cute, I think wistully.

The second girl enters. The first thing I notice are her striking features. Her nose is perfectly ski slope-shaped, and her cheekbones are sleek and defined. She has a beauty spot under her left eye, which is the exact opposite of mine. Her limbs are long and sinewy, yet lightly toned. Is she a dancer too?

"Good, you're all here. I will introduce myself once more; I am Nobihiko Shinji, the audition supervisor. I'll be in charge of observing your audition progress, and will make my recommendations based on your performance for the following week."

I gulp. I'd better not mess up in front of this guy!

Yume stands up. "Takasu Yume desu, 15sai desu."

I quickly shoot up after her. "Hanaki Mei desu! 15sai desu! I'm born in Tokyo." I sit down, blushing and fluffing my bangs back into place.

The pretty girl rises from her seat next. "Nakano Umika desu, 16sai desu. I'm from Chiba. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu." Her voice is sweet and laced with a melodic lilt, and I can't help but admire her further. Gee, it's almost as if I'm in love with her. I shouldn't be so creepy.

"E-etto...Kimura Mayu desu. I'm going to be 14 soon, and I'm from, um, Saitama." The tiny girl stands briefly and bows, then sinks back into her seat immediately.

Finally, the last girl draws herself up slowly, the black lace shawl on her shoulders silkily sliding down, the iridescent beads like a waterfall. She straightens herself and arches out her chest ever so slightly, and tosses her shiny dark curls over her shoulder. Then she parts her glossy, heart-shaped lips, curling them into a confident smile.

"Fujiwara Hitomi desu, 15sai desu. I'm from Fukuoka." She pauses to sear everyone of us with her piercing eyes. From the corners of my eyes I can see little Mayu shrinking back slightly. I extend my foot a bit and kick Yume gently under the table and she nudges me back with her boot. Who is this girl?

"I will do my best to win." With that, she gives a brisk nod and lowers herself back into her seat.

Suddenly, my mouth feels dry as it parts slightly. These are the girls I'm competing against. The talented Yume, beautiful Umika, adorable Mayu and confident, sassy Hitomi.

My rivals.

meee.jpg

*。*

Slice of Apple Cake 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users