• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 nic

nic

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Just saw the advertisment for H!O friends.. can some1 exmplain what is it about and whether it is related to H!O

#2 kantutanTayo14

kantutanTayo14

12th gen member

• Banned
  • 7540 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:39 PM

Just saw the advertisment for H!O friends.. can some1 exmplain what is it about

You know http://friendfinder.com? Yeah, it's like that

and whether it is related to H!O

It pays for the H!O site

#3 yoshikix

yoshikix

ちょこっと Love

• Senpai
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Just saw the advertisment for H!O friends.. can some1 exmplain what is it about and whether it is related to H!O

I thought i was your friend! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

"Statistics is like a bikini, what is revealed is suggestive, but what is concealed is vital."

#4 Shirow

Shirow

ふかゆ

• Senpai
  • 3183 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

I dont like the concept of having to pay for my friends.

mak.png

#5 Amoz

Amoz

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2054 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

One doesn't have to like it, one doesn't have to be part of it and it's really easy to ignore.

Internet killed common sense.

#6 NatsuNoCheri

NatsuNoCheri

Sayaka Kitahara's no. 1 Wota

• Senpai
  • 1024 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

I dont like the concept of having to pay for my friends.

I don't like the concept of H!O friends, period. This isn't supposed to be a place for "friends," it's supposed to be a Hello!Project lovers community, or at least that's what I thought it was supposed to be. If people want "friends," they should go to Myspace or Facebook or whatever. I think "friends" is a distraction from the purpose of Hello!Online...:D :( :wub: :wub:

Aren't there other ways to get money for the site? Like ads, but not annoying ones?

#7 Shirow

Shirow

ふかゆ

• Senpai
  • 3183 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

One doesn't have to like it, one doesn't have to be part of it and it's really easy to ignore.

I know that, just throwing my two cents towards such a scheme, but if it pays for the server than I'm happy.

mak.png

#8 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

that friends thing was really noticeable at first but now I don't really noticed it. but it does pay for the server so its all good.

plus the friends thing just go to msn or pm each other. they're free!

racequeen.jpg

#9 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

I just pay no attention to it since its of no interest to me. However it does help alittle for the costs of this forum so that is a good thing.

#10 ☆LuckyFortuneCookie☆

☆LuckyFortuneCookie☆

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1041 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

I always wondered about how "this" forum was paid for...I mean, I don't see advertisements everywhere like a proboard...

anyway speaking of Myspace * please warn me if this is off topic, I'll remove it*

www.myspace.com/tearsofabrokenchinadoll

#11 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

You don't need a reason to help people.

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:25 AM

I was always under the impression that the links to YesAsia and CDJAPAN did their bit towards helping pay for the running costs associated with H!O?

#12 ★Shining Star★

★Shining Star★

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1463 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:49 AM

^Î'm sure they help a bit to, but onestly did anyone buy from there and browsed from here to they're site? I think most pople just typed in they're website when browsing. I'm sure these few yesasian adds aren't covering all expences so otther ways are needed to finance it. The site has a lot of server traffic each month, and so many visitors. I wished I could help somehow.

#13 haku

haku

CEO

• Headquarters
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

I was always under the impression that the links to YesAsia and CDJAPAN did their bit towards helping pay for the running costs associated with H!O?

It would, if someone bought anything from yesasia or clicking the google adds. We don't get anything from CDJAPAN because they doesn't have any affilities program. The yesasia banners have brought in so that I could barly could pay the server cost each month, now I'm trying to find other ways.

I have placed all banners to the very right which is the worst place to put a the banner in case you like to have many clicks. But that place is the least distractive to the users. Still I'm trying to leave the forum free from banners. The google adds give $1 a day and the Friends thing haven't made in a single cence this far.

I just trying out new ways. If I could, I would choose to not have any banners at all. But that is not how things work.

And about the Friends site. I don't see why people would care about that tab if they are not interested?

#14 Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1235 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Does the friend thing only bring in money if people sign up to it? If so, I can't see it bring in much, though obviously you're experimenting with ideas.

I do think the message needs to be spread that if people buy something from YesAsia, they should make a point of doing it via the referrals . That way people are helping the site also, killing two birds with one stone, but I don't think many people here realise they can do that.

#15 Vinya

Vinya

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

as for it being noticable, I don't really pay it any attention...I didn't even know it was in the menu bar until I noticed the blog function <_<

I agree...maybe something like that would be better suited for myspace and facebook but....that makes me a hypocrite, because all my friends on those sites I know in RL.

Shakey_Jake33 I had no idea that we could do that. Thanks for the info!

Posted Image

#16 12345PAPARAA

12345PAPARAA

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1703 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

I didn't even notice that ^^ They have something similar on asianload.

I try to always use the H!O link when buying something on YesAsia :(

#17 Wingates

Wingates

This the face of Terror! roar

• Senpai
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

to be honest with you, the H!O Friends thing is prolly a great idea <3
cause seriously, its a great way to meet new people outside of our countries. Theres tons of people from China, Japan, and what not.
Still, ya gotta do a bunch of stuff before you can actualy talk to people which sucks. Also its pretty expensive.
But!! its like Japan Forum..just without the forum .-. and it's expensive >->..I love the idea though cause theres so many people from all over asia and it's good for people that have a hard time trying to meet new people in forums, like me.
Also theres alot of mean people in forums =[ and if you don't do things right in forums you get flamed and it gets hard to post again and discourages you D:

Luckily for me I'm going to be getting a good job and be able to pay off the h!o friends. And it's not as annoying and complicated (well at least I think so .-.;;; ) as facebook

Posted Image

Forever supporting our little angel.

#18 Scramasax

Scramasax

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

I realize that the Yes-Asia banners help pay for the site and I would definitely click on them whenever I wanted to buy something off yes-asia. The only problem I have is that they link to the international Yes-Asia site which doesn't ship to the U.S. Therefore, I can click all I want, but I still need to manually enter the URL for Yes-Asia. If I'm understanding this correctly, that doesn't help the site at all.

^ Just trying to help.

#19 haku

haku

CEO

• Headquarters
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

I "think" it still use the same cookies as the global.yesasia.com site. they pay in £ but some weeks they also pay in $, I guess that is when they sell from the us.yesasia.com site.

but well, maybe I should ask them

#20 haku

haku

CEO

• Headquarters
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

I spent an hour or so to fix so the yesasia links point to the right page now (that say, us.yesasia.com if you are US resident), also if you are JP, HK or KR resident it will change language to respectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users