Photo

Converting/Encoding/Compressing Video

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#61 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

Ew. Interlace artifacts suck the worst.

There's a few possibilities for fixing this here:

1) Does every frame exhibit this interlacing artifact? If so, then you're really going to be out of luck, since that means the source material is 60i, which means there's no way of really fixing all of the interlace artifacts without some kind of interpolation.

2) If it seems to follow a specific pattern (though it may have restart or break the pattern when you hit a cut boundary - i.e. if there's a scene change), then you can try to use virtualdub's frame rate 3:2 telecine removal. What this means is the source material is 24fps, that was upconverted to 30fps for playback on standard tvs/dvd players. You'll see a pattern that looks like: P P I I I (P=progressive - not interlaced, I=interlaced frames) so effectively every five frames you have four source frames (two frames are split between those three Is). To enable it, go to Video -> Frame Rate -> Inverse Telecine (3:2 pulldown removal) (x) Reconstruct from fields - adaptive. This will still exhibit problems on scene changes, so be sure to add a deinterlace filter (blend both fields (best)) as well.

3) If vertical resolution really isn't *that* important (i.e. if you're encoding it for a PSP or something with limited vertical resolution) - use the deinterlace filter, set to discard field 2.

One last suggestion - get a good deinterlacer and experiment with that. Check out Donald Graft's home page, and under the "Mine" section, get his Decomb Filter Package.

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#62 xmorfis

xmorfis

Egao!Yes!NOOB

• Uploader
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

Thanks...Dr.Nyeko XD ..I follow your advice!

#63 JAYBE

JAYBE

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

If you need convert video, to use PocketDivXEncoder
Posted Image

I kill the wish for thinking
And my peace for world

#64 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

Hmm dunno if the same applies.. But if I want to convert a .TS file to .AVI, what program is best recommended? (And hopefully will not make anything lose Sync as I do with my program ><)
Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.
OR if you need my assistance in fansubbing (QC/Encoding), let me know.

#65 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hmm dunno if the same applies.. But if I want to convert a .TS file to .AVI, what program is best recommended? (And hopefully will not make anything lose Sync as I do with my program ><)

I haven't got the exact answers to it, and I myself am a beginner in encoding etc. But firstly, what is it, the program that you usually use? (as you've mentioned "..as I do with my program..")

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル
RI.DIU.SU,, RI.YU.SU,, RI.SA.I.KU.RU

p/s. AKB48 is Shmexy~ aRr~ >:] *ebil*

°-°Izu°-°

Amoz-senpai's Guide to Quoting/Editing
FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
updated: August 2007

#66 rnwc

rnwc

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

Why don't you just use a general purpose editor such as Adobe Premier? Problem solved.

#67 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

@MogXIII: I use a program called SUPER� (Which is pretty good){But when I use this ot convert .TS to .AVI, it shows too many interlacing?(Lines) ANd random times loses sync.

@Rnwc: Adobe Premier... I will look into that as I never heard of it =X
P.S.: Looked into it.. so.. does it allow output of .avi? As I didn't really see that mentioned on the site.

Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.

#68 rnwc

rnwc

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

@Rnwc: Adobe Premier... I will look into that as I never heard of it =X
P.S.: Looked into it.. so.. does it allow output of .avi? As I didn't really see that mentioned on the site.

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full said the little boy who lived down the lane.
Right from the horse's mouth (click link to adobe premier overview.
Of course, not everyone can spring for/have access to this program which is why there are several freeware programs that will do the same thing. It won't come with the array of functionality that Adobe offers (or work as fast) but hey, it's free. Just do a google search.
Your best bet will be to use a divx converter, hdtv to mpeg2, and virtualdubmod tool(s). I hope you have LOTS of patience because my buddy said it will take a long time (read overnight) to convert the files especially if you use 2 pass encoding. Hope this helps.

#69 Frox

Frox

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

Indeed,....there's the long road to Amsterdam or the shortcut to the bin.

I use DrDivx,....just because I'm lazy XD Hehe,... I know I've said it before.

#70 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

@MogXIII: I use a program called SUPER� (Which is pretty good){But when I use this ot convert .TS to .AVI, it shows too many interlacing?(Lines) ANd random times loses sync.

hm, imo, i only use SUPER when i need to convert them into something *watchable* in mobile phones.

other than that, well, virtualdub, tmpgenc & the rest. :wink:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#71 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:48 AM

It isn't a bad program I mean it gets the job done.. Only time it sort of proves invaluable = .TS/.VOB files.. Sometimes I get lucky and it works.. then others it loses too much quality/sycn/lines

#72 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

It isn't a bad program I mean it gets the job done.. Only time it sort of proves invaluable = .TS/.VOB files.. Sometimes I get lucky and it works.. then others it loses too much quality/sycn/lines

if you're familiar/comfortable with SUPER, try some applications from IMTOO. :c13: hope it helps.

ps. oh btw, i think most of it are shareware though. g'luck :wink:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#73 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:26 AM

do you guys know whats a good .flv converter?

racequeen.jpg

#74 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:52 AM

SUPER© does the trick =P

#75 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:22 AM

thanks SacredCultivator, you have all the answers :)

racequeen.jpg

#76 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:25 AM

Hehe I wish I did so I could figure out my own problem, still waiting for a reply on it. By the way, your welcome.

#77 A.K. - ZONE

A.K. - ZONE

~ 君がくれたもの ~

• Validating
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

Does anyone know a good way to convert Matroska files (.mkv) to another format, maybe avi or mpg?
I tried some softwares but I can't seem to get a video with the same quality without having to create a huge file. :lol:

I was also wondering if you guys know how to convert RMVB files to avi as well with the same quality of the original video without making it too big.

#78 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:57 PM

Does anyone know a good way to convert Matroska files (.mkv) to another format, maybe avi or mpg?
I tried some softwares but I can't seem to get a video with the same quality without having to create a huge file. :lol:

I was also wondering if you guys know how to convert RMVB files to avi as well with the same quality of the original video without making it too big.

Hehe as I have mentioned over and over, give SUPER© a go, it converts any format to any (Well not literally, but most).

As for FileSize, depends on the settings you use

#79 A.K. - ZONE

A.K. - ZONE

~ 君がくれたもの ~

• Validating
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:56 AM

yea, I heard about SUPER but I can't install it on this pc.. XD
was trying to find another way

#80 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:08 AM

Oh.. bleh nevermind that then, sorries.