• Please log in to reply
23094 replies to this topic

#22541 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

Never understood the concept of supporting the artist by buying their music. Their music should be good enough for me to want to buy them.

#22542 Punkin

Punkin

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

I agree with this ^ -- if I don't like an album or single, or DVD, I won't buy it to own a physical copy, no matter how much I love the artist. That's why stuff like YT and Spotify are great. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a DVD or listened to a song/album online and liked it so much I bought a physical copy of it, but also how many times I've been so damn happy I didn't buy a physical copy because I didn't like the product.

#22543 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:53 PM

^ ^^  Wait, WHAT??  I never implied supporting an artist for content you don't care for.??  That makes no sense.

Never understood the concept of supporting the artist by buying their music. 

Allow me to explain it to you then.  An established artist that is in this case usually working for a company / label will lose their job if the music doesn't sell.  If it sells and does well, they retain their employment.  Not sure how much clearer it could be.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#22544 Fall

Fall

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1745 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:15 AM

If the artist is already established, they get more benefit from you buying a poster than buying a CD.  Fair warning, this will be a long read for anyone that cares:

Spoiler

The major benefit that Airi gets by sticking with a contract under UF is that they will be as loyal to her as she is to them so long as she's able to at least break even. She'll be paid mostly the same regardless since she'll still attract an audience. Compare that to someone like Meimi who is taking an active risk in her career by tying herself to a label like Victor where they will have no loyalty to her, and unless she becomes super popular, actually will have her future decided by remaining profitable with digital sales.

#22545 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

^ Thanks for sharing that, and of course the direct income from live events is indeed the typical formula for any artist (hence why most bands tour in the USA, especially back in the days of record label dominance and power over an artist).  I was just trying to make a general point that sales still support an artist if not directly to their pocket more to their existence or relevance to retain any sort of employment. 

However that last paragraph about album sales versus individual merchandise is very interesting and a foreign concept in the music industry from where I live.  The fact that if I buy an Airi beach towel does her more good than her own solo music album as a singer is really sad.

Nice that you mentioned Meimi, who ties w/ Airi as my all time favorite idol.  Indeed she has taken risks but so far she seems to be doing very well and most importantly seems very happy about her decisions.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#22546 core2quad

core2quad

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 11868 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

COUNTDOWN JAPAN 18/19

End-of-the-year greeting

#22547 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

If the artist is already established, they get more benefit from you buying a poster than buying a CD.  Fair warning, this will be a long read for anyone that cares:

Spoiler

The major benefit that Airi gets by sticking with a contract under UF is that they will be as loyal to her as she is to them so long as she's able to at least break even. She'll be paid mostly the same regardless since she'll still attract an audience. Compare that to someone like Meimi who is taking an active risk in her career by tying herself to a label like Victor where they will have no loyalty to her, and unless she becomes super popular, actually will have her future decided by remaining profitable with digital sales.

So this is why Airi has videos hard selling goods, but not music. Interesting. Where is this from? I'd love to see the rest of their conversations.

#22548 Fall

Fall

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1745 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

That was all me. By saying it was a "long read," I just meant that I can't touch a keyboard most days without accidentally producing something that approaches the length of a novel. I just put most of it into spoilers to save on space for those who don't like having to scroll so much through a topic.

Spoiler

It would seem that I did it again here as well...

#22549 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

^
Worth mentioning that Suzuki also has her Ray model gig, which unless I'm mistaken is the kind of job that keeps fulltime models fed, even if not comfortably or allowing savings. Just as far as Suzuki is a pretty solid bet for the agency, at least for now.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#22550 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:04 AM

^^ Wow, Fallacia, well said! Thanks for sharing those thoughts... they are rather shocking to me as I felt that CDs were still doing ok in Japan but it looks like they exist only as mere tokens.  Very intersting... and sad.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#22551 sheikhyerbutay

sheikhyerbutay

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

^^^ Thanks for the info Fallacia.  I have never read anyone explain it as well as you have here on this tread.  I had a hunch this was the reality of their marketing plan.  There is no way UF and all it's many employees could survive on the CD sales they make alone.  

#22552 AiriFan2368

AiriFan2368

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:32 AM

http://www.hello-onl...oll-2018/page-3

Results are in!

Winner of the 2nd annual Female Up-Front Acts Poll 2018 is.... SUZUKI AIRI

1. Suzuki Airi (341)

#22553 chisafan

chisafan

Chiitan's Spaghetti Chef

• Senpai
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

I like her wild boar bit :lol: <3

(あけおめ! Happy NY!)

Spoiler

#22554 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

Airi did game programming. She probably only did a simple pong game, but who else wants to see it? :D 

https://www.facebook...481518588529169

#22555 sheikhyerbutay

sheikhyerbutay

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 799 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:31 AM

This may be old news for everyone, but I just stumbled onto it today.  I don't understand most of it but the surprise is worth watching!

#22556 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

Where do you go for your Airi discussions/news? 2ch seems to have completely lost interest and this thread is inactive too. :(

#22557 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Airi's dance crew. :D

https://www.instagra...id=3j3do9t9j984

All five °C-ute members are very busy doing great things but nobody spends much time paying attention to them though. Strange......

#22558 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:01 AM

Unfortunate fate of graduated idols? Why did they have to disband :(

#22559 sheikhyerbutay

sheikhyerbutay

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

The very latest news is posted on Twitter, Twichy, and Instagram by the °C-ute girls themselves. It is all done in Japanese.  I do not have accounts with any of these, and I am not fluent in Nihongo, so I depend on 910%'s Facebook postings.  Every now and then Wota In Translation will do an in depth blog about °C-ute members.  

I still like coming here to Hello-online for anything C-ute related because there is lots of lore for me to still see.  But this is not an inter-net secure site.  You can pick-up viruses here.  A lot of people will not visit here because it is not secure.   I wish Hello-online admin here would make it secure, but do not know the reasons for keeping it as it is.

Why did they have to disband :(

A rhetorical question, right?

#22560 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

I follow all five on Instagram which has a translation function. They pretty much keep current on that medium besides their blogs and Twitter. I've been an H!P fan long enough to watch them embrace social media and it's a beautiful thing. It used to be that the English-speaking fan forums and YouTube were about the only ways to try to keep up-to-date. Now we can follow them personally in practically real time, especially when they go live on Insta, YT or Showroom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users