Photo

Converting/Encoding/Compressing Video

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#41 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

Alternately, if you're doing a DVD->DVD split, DVDShrink is a great tool if you play around with their Reauthor function. For example, I have a Brilliant Green Terra 2001 Live Concert tour, that was a combination of the concert and behind the scenes. Total, it was 7GB, I ended up doing the following:

Tracks 1-4, 6-10, 12-15, 17-18, 20 : Disc 1 (concert)
Tracks 5, 11, 16, 19 : Disc 2 (behind the scenes)

Which worked out just fine at 4/3GB each disc :]

But yeah virtualdub is the way to go for what you were looking for, but just wanted to add this to the usefultool list ^___^

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#42 Amarach

Amarach

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

Lol, thanks, I will give it a try. Just need to get a DVD burner and a bigger HD first. :P Sucks only having 2-3 gigs to play with.
Posted Image
You can't run from death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it.
My Personal Site of my life in China
My Art at DeviantArt.Com

#43 rebo

rebo

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

Thanks..

#44 SataAndagi

SataAndagi

6th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

For those of you who rip dvds and use watermarks, what program do you use to add the watermark to your rip? I have some DVDs that I'd like to rip and share on this Tracker however, I want to add a watermark to my enconde so that one Ebay selling bastard don't try to sell it!

#45 yakuruto

yakuruto

おーはー!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

Found this LINK

in fact, www.videohelp.com is a very good source of guides and freeware tools to edit your videos.
Posted Image

#46 SataAndagi

SataAndagi

6th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:57 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll look into it ^_^

#47 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

how can i convert a vob file to a avi file with same quality as the dvd?, i try VirtualDubMod but sometimes the quality sucks

these r the programs i use

Smartripper
VirtualDubMod

#48 momusufan

momusufan

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2898 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:32 PM

I found a couple of other programs to converting vob to avi.

this one is magicdvdripper free to use but full version costs US$29.95

another one is XiliSoft DVD Ripper Free to use but the full version costs US$35

#49 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

how can i convert a vob file to a avi file with same quality as the dvd?, i try VirtualDubMod but sometimes the quality sucks

Hi Spades-

Hopefully those programs that momusufan suggested work for you, but if not, my best suggestion would be to increase the bitrate, and turn on the following properties for the encoder (assuming you're using XviD):

Quarter Pel Interpolation
High accuracy motion estimation
B-Frames

Turn off Global Motion Estimation tho - from what I understand it's buggy and the resultant video sometimes doesn't work on Macs. :good: You can configure the video encoder you're using by going to something like Video->Compression and select the filter (XviD) and click Configure. I don't have Vdub with me here at work so if you want a more indepth explanation, either respond here or PM me, and I'll try to write one for you tonight.

Oh, and if you can provide me a couple of screenshots of frames that you think "sucks" compared to the original, maybe I can suggest a few other things (biggest thing I can think of is enabling the deinterlacing filter).

-nyekobug

P.S. a rough estimate - if you're encoding from a 10Mbps MPEG-2, professionally encoded source, you can expect similar quality if you reencode with a 5Mbps MPEG-4 based (i.e. XviD/DivX) source. I've gotten good results using 2:1 compression on the bitrate. If you're aiming for 1-2Mbps, good luck trying to get something that's the same quality as a DVD :lol:
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#50 wildstarr

wildstarr

Goddess, thy name is Maki.

• Senpai
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

Thanks momusufan! I've been looking to do the same thing as Spades but never found anything. I got the magicdvdripper you suggested and it was fairly easy to use, I just need to figure out the best conversion quality. :good:

Posted Image

#51 Spades

Spades

JAV

• Senpai
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

i try magicdvdripper n XiliSoft DVD Ripper but it keep crashing :good: , so i try the increase the bitrate n it work :lol:

Oh, and if you can provide me a couple of screenshots of frames that you think "sucks" compared to the original, maybe I can suggest a few other things (biggest thing I can think of is enabling the deinterlacing filter).

i think its the dvd because when i ply it on my dvd it seem to be blocky, so i guess it was the dvd..lol but sometimes it not, im goin try the deinterlacing filter n see wat happens

THX GUYS FOR THE HELP :w00t:

#52 driler

driler

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

Im looking for program to convert avi or mpeg to mp4. do anyone know where some simple and good one?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#53 momusufan

momusufan

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

Im looking for program to convert avi or mpeg to mp4. do anyone know where some simple and good one?

pspvideo9 is an open source converter that converts AVI, MPEG, VOB, and WMV into MP4. Its mostly used to put videos on PSP but you don't have to do it that way, it makes a regular MP4 file to play back on an MP4 player, winamp, vlc, and Divx player will playback MP4's fine.

#54 driler

driler

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Thank You Momusufan :lol:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#55 CryonRyu

CryonRyu

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:58 PM

Hi All!

I usually use the following simple chain to convert DVDs to AVI (DivX/MP3 or OGG):
1. SmartRipper to get VOBs (or just copying in case of unprotected DVD).
2. DVD2AVI to get project file with timing (the .d2v project file) + WAV file.
3. VFAPI is used as frame server to create virtual AVI file (sound isn't supported).
4. VirtualDub or DubMod to process that virtual AVI with filters. At this step we tune DivX, Xvid or whatever codec for video and OGG, MP3 (lame is the best) or whatever codec for audio.
That's all. Lol

If you want to achieve best quality in sound, you can try one of the following:
Adobe Audition, CoolEdit Pro, Wavelab, Soundforge: etc.

Some my friends prefer to use Gordian Knot Rip Pack, may be you will like it. lol

Well, I'll be here if you have questions on above chain....

Mata ne~~~

#56 frenchkiss

frenchkiss

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

If you use VirtualDubMod you don't need the frameserve thingy...

#57 CryonRyu

CryonRyu

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:01 PM

If you use VirtualDubMod you don't need the frameserve thingy...

Yep, you are absolutely right! I didn't know that, main reason for me to use DubMod was the ability to build OGM container with OGG sound inside. lol Personally I like OGG sound at about 192kbit/s.

By the way, if someone had problems with using DVD2AVI+AVISynth (mpeg2dec plug-in) then just try DGMPGDec. I recently started to use this package and now have no problems with losing frames and .d2v file format!

See ya!

#58 zone_abunai

zone_abunai

• Kouhai
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:31 AM

i need help with some video codec thing. im using windows media maker to edit some videos, but there are certain files that i cant open that dont have video codecs. i try to download the codecs but it says theres an error. my friend said to use virtual dub but every time i try to open up the files without video codecs it says

"pack synchronization error"

or

"couldnt locate decompressor for format ***** (unknown)

and then it says it requires a VFW codec to decompress videos and direct show codecs are not suitable."

can someone help me?

#59 xmorfis

xmorfis

Egao!Yes!NOOB

• Uploader
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

I'm trying to encode VOB file using Virtualdubmod...with xvid. The quality OK but this awful lines really gettin up my nerves...is there any filter to eliminate this lines...I try deinterlace but it didn't help one bit.

Posted Image

#60 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:59 AM

I'm trying to encode VOB file using Virtualdubmod...with xvid. The quality OK but this awful lines really gettin up my nerves...is there any filter to eliminate this lines...I try deinterlace but it didn't help one bit.

http://i35.photobuck...mbarteruk-1.jpg

Hm, just a quickie, have you checked around.. I think I read about this same problem somewhere before.. but if I'm not mistaken, it's here too or in one of the topics within these section.

Someone had the same problem with the lines too. :unsure sorry xmorfis, I haven't done much video conversion yet. Good luck, Ganbatte-ne! :wink:

edit:
Heh, was correcting some typos, and removing the tags on the image, then realised your picture filename.. hehehehe.. bad picture eyh.. :wink:

Edited by mogxiii, 06 March 2006 - 10:04 AM.

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル
RI.DIU.SU,, RI.YU.SU,, RI.SA.I.KU.RU

p/s. AKB48 is Shmexy~ aRr~ >:] *ebil*

°-°Izu°-°

Amoz-senpai's Guide to Quoting/Editing
FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
updated: August 2007