• Please log in to reply
1625 replies to this topic

#1561 mountainoluv

mountainoluv

happy lucky chance wonderland

• Senpai
  • 936 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

^We don't know if the coconuts were even offered Japanese lessons. Junjun and Linlin started learning Japanese (from actual tutors) immediately, but that doesn't mean it was the same back then, when H!P was still brand new. Not to mention they had a built-in translater (Ayaka) so it's possible that UFA didn't think lessons were necessary. But, don't be confused. The coconuts did introduce themselves in Japanese at concerts in the beginning and used the proper "yoroshiku onegaishimasu". And throughout their time there, you could hear improvements in Danielle's and Lehua's speech, as if they were picking up on key phrases that they learned from people around them, rather than being taught in a classroom.

Think about it. If they lived in Japan, sang Japanese songs, and went on Japanese talk shows, why on EARTH would they REFUSE to learn to Japanese??

And, um.... wtf does Nakazawa have to do with anything??

It seems like, when Coconuts first started, that Ayaka :wub: was super-shy, and that she kind of just got thrust into the role as leader, due to her being bi-lingual. Over her career in H!P, she really grew in self confidence, and charisma, not to mention talent as a singer and as a dancer. Should I mention that she got sexier, too? :) Well, Ayaka is in my top five idols. I enjoyed her surprise English lessons very much. I could watch those for hours on end. She took a lot of abuse from the other girls, just for trying to teach them English, and she always came across as extremely cheerful, and had a big smile. I wish Ayaka would make a comeback in the entertainment industry! :good:

#1562 Aly B

Aly B

Hopelessly devoted to MoMusu.

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I actually asked Lehua on Twitter how she learned japanese. She replied

The agency hired a translator for me, I took some lessons, and the other members helped me as well...

Doesn't sound to me like she was refusing to learn.
Posted Image

#1563 Hayai Ohirugohan!

Hayai Ohirugohan!

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

Why we wanna hear from them

Because UF's mouth says Coconuts were short-lived was other than the Japanese Ayaka & "Halfie" Mika, the remaining Hawaiians were unwilling (or refused) to learn or even speak the Japanese language & assimilate to Japanese culture.
Contrast this with Junjun's debut at Yossie's grad concert where her self-introduction was in Japanese. It wasn't native-fluent, she struggled, but at least she attempted.
That's why she & Linlin had a longer MM stint than Nakazawa.

You get on my nerves. I know I don't post much, but I lurk quite a bit, and it seems every time I see a post from you, all you're doing is trolling. Stop pretending your opinion matters so much, and stay out of threads of groups you're not a fan of. Seems there are many people who would love to talk to Mika and Lehua. And if they actually were members here, I'm sure you'd be one of them.
Posted Image

Signature and Avatar made by 바니 「вσηкyυ」

#1564 kantutanTayo14

kantutanTayo14

12th gen member

• Banned
  • 7540 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

You get on my nerves. I know I don't post much, but I lurk quite a bit, and it seems every time I see a post from you, all you're doing is trolling. Stop pretending your opinion matters so much, and stay out of threads of groups you're not a fan of. Seems there are many people who would love to talk to Mika and Lehua.

Seems the "high-mighty-and-divine" newb won't, & would rather be :offtopic: & making personal attacks at other H!O forumers :rolleyes:

#1565 Aly B

Aly B

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

^ She's not entirely wrong, nor entirely off topic. You get on my nerves, as well.

In any case, I wondered if you might wanna reply to my posts - the ones that called you out on ur BS - instead of picking on the new kid.

The coconuts tried just as hard as any other H!P members, and most of them about 50x harder because of the language barrier. Just because they weren't as popular as JunLin, doesn't mean they weren't trying hard enough.
Posted Image

#1566 Welniuke

Welniuke

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

I always thought Coconuts were more popular that JunLin...
Though I don't actually know anything about them so...

#1567 cunning

cunning

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

You have to remember this was way back in like 1999 :/ The girls (Even coconuts, unpopular as they may seem) barely had any time off, so it would have been difficult becoming fluent between performances, recordings, and going back to hawaii to relax for a while, whereas junlin were in a bigger group full time, so it was more beneficial for them to learn Japanese. I don't think the Japanese lessons were on the minds of management or the members, at least not first and foremost.

Regardless, Danielle seems to be fluent now, and I think Lehua understood a bit more than she let on, possibly holding back for the sake of humor, but thats just a guess. And we can't really say because she didn't have many appearances near the end of her run (ie watashi mo i love you, and jounetsu yuki miraisen), to display said skills or lack thereof.

Also, being active (at least in performances) from 1999-2004 or 2008 if you consider Ayaka as a solo unit as "Coconuts Musume" is not short lived...

Anyway, the people in this thread would love to hear from any of the members, me included. So lets keep those type of comments to ourselves, shall we?

Officially a KSS unit stan

Fan of H!P since 2006 💖

#1568 2squared

2squared

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

Ayaka recently updated her blog. It looks like she has done some shopping for her baby. I wonder what all she bought and if she'll eventually post photos of stacks of what she purchased.

(Sorry for no photos, but I am too busy *studying* at the moment :c03: )

#1569 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

Coconuts were relitively popular for a while but like Melon Kinenbi were overshadowed by the huge popularity of Morning Musume. Coconuts Musume seemed like a bit of a mad experiment with foreigners that almost fell apart very quick when members started dropping out with the language barrier and cultural differences making life hard for them. As far as learning the language i imagine for the ones who stayed in the group for a couple of years probably learned enough Japanese to get by you don't live in the country for 2 years without picking things up but you get the silly playing up to the Japanese opinions of gaijin and they likely pretended to not understand and only spoke in English for comical purposes. Seems a shame really that they didn't focus more on getting the girls to speak Japanese as all the focus in interviews was on Ayaka and Mika who spoke Japanese.

TEAM TAKECHAN

#1570 Aly B

Aly B

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

I found a few videos on youtube today that I never saw before. This is one of them. Sorry if it was posted before, but I didn't feel like searching through 79 pages just to find it.

Posted Image

#1571 Aly B

Aly B

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

I posted this in Lehua's thread, but I'd figured I'd put it here, too, since it pertains to other coconuts, as well. Lehua contacted me and asked me to let everyone know that she's going to open up a new album on her facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001979325448) where she will be uploading anything that we, the fans, send to her.

Hi Aly, I will be creating a new album labeled "FANS" on my Facebook. In this album I will be posting anything that a fan sends me (photos, drawings, letters or anything else creative of me or M-COCO). Please let M-COCO fans know or people that you know who support me! Thank you!!! <3

She's friends with other Coconuts on FB, as well (all but Ayaka, I think), so they would also see anything she posts, especially if she tags them. So if you have anything you wanna share with them, you should probably send it to her. :good:
Posted Image

#1572 Ayaka Hoshimura

Ayaka Hoshimura

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Lehua got facebook? *0*

#1573 Guest_StellaFleure_*

Guest_StellaFleure_*
  • Guests (Not logged in)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

Lehua got facebook? *0*

Yes, she has got facebook :). http://www.facebook.com/lehua.nahina (as mentioned on her homepage)

#1574 mountainoluv

mountainoluv

• Senpai
  • 936 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Lehua got facebook? *0*

Yes, she has got facebook :). http://www.facebook.com/lehua.nahina (as mentioned on her homepage)

Lehua made a Tweet about a week ago that she was only going to accept 1,000 more friends. So, if you want her to add you as a friend, hurry up and send her a friend request! :)

#1575 denadel

denadel

Sheki-Dol fan

• Senpai
  • 1128 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image

www.hpoldschool.com (under construction)

#1576 Country Musume FanBoy

Country Musume FanBoy

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

Wow, amazing pic!!! :D

2mdmglx.jpg

Taiyo & Ciscomoon ~The One & Only~ <3

#1577 mountainoluv

mountainoluv

• Senpai
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

Ummm . . . it has been quite a while since anyone has posted in this thread. So . . . I thought I'd suggest a song for Coconuts Musume to record if and when they have a reunion. It is called "Candy Music," and it is from the group Candy. Here is the link:

candymusicbycandy

They will probably have to translate it from whatever language they speak in the former Soviet republic of Georgia. :good:

#1578 wahashimoto

wahashimoto

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Just curious if anyone has any higher quality scans of the Dance & Chance, Tokonatsu Musume and Watashi mo "I LOVE YOU" covers?

Avvie made by me! :3

miya.mikitty.gaki-san.chisa.kanon

#1579 Ian905

Ian905

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Still trying to find covers for Tokonatsu Musume and Watashi mo I LOVE YOU, if I do I'll post them here. :)

Btw: I don't know how many of you listen to Kiss The Coconuts, the CocoMusu radio show, but at the beginning of this month all the links on SparklingMelrosePool's site went down because the site she(?) used to host them went under. I decided to wait it out and see if they would come back but nope, still down. :( Anybody know of an alternate source? It would be a real shame to see them lost permanently...

Fan of the 48 Family, Linda III Sei, Tokyo Performance Doll, THE Possible, and Seifuku Kojo Iinkai.

My last.fm

#1580 mountainoluv

mountainoluv

• Senpai
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

No, I don't know about links to those radio shows. Btw, I ran across this video from 'Group Candy,' or just 'Candy.' Believe it or not, they are from the former Soviet republic of Georgia. (Yes, there is a pop music industry in Georgia, ha ha!) Here is the link:

They remind me of Coconuts Musume. The girl with the 'A' on her t-shirt can really belt out a tune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users