• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moonwell

moonwell

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

TOKYO – Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the only person officially recognized as a survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings at the end of World War II, has died at age 93.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip for his shipbuilding company on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city.

He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki, about 300 kilometers (190 miles) to the southwest, which suffered a second U.S. atomic bomb attack three days later.

On Aug. 15, 1945, Japan surrendered, ending the war.

The mayor of Nagasaki said "a precious storyteller has been lost," in a message posted on the city's Web site Wednesday. Yamaguchi died Monday morning of stomach cancer, the mass circulation Mainichi, Asahi and Yomiuri newspapers reported.

Yamaguchi was the only person to be certified by the Japanese government as having been in both cities when they were attacked, although other dual survivors have also been identified.

"My double radiation exposure is now an official government record. It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die," Yamaguchi was quoted as saying in the Mainichi newspaper last year.

In his later years, Yamaguchi gave talks about his experiences as an atomic bomb survivor and often expressed his hope that such weapons would be abolished.

He spoke at the United Nations in 2006, wrote books and songs about his experiences, and appeared in a documentary about survivors of both attacks.

Last month he was visited in the hospital by filmmaker James Cameron, director of "Titanic" and "Avatar," who is considering making a movie about the bombings, according to the Mainichi.

Immediately after the war, Yamaguchi worked as a translator for American forces in Nagasaki and later as a junior high school teacher.

Japan is the only country to have suffered atomic bomb attacks. About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Yamaguchi is one of about 260,000 people who survived the attacks. Some bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation exposure, including cancer and liver illnesses.

Certification as an atomic bomb survivor in Japan qualifies individuals for government compensation, including monthly allowances, free medical checkups and funeral costs.

Taken from Yahoo

Now here is my question, how would you feel if you were that man? Cause getting hit by one had to suck, but he was hit by two!

*offensive comment removed*
Posted Image
Made by Molly <3 Thank you !
Visit my store!

#2 k0nk0n

k0nk0n

「*:♪★”あたり前田”★*:♪」

• Senpai
  • 2651 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

Oh man a storyteller is gone. He must have been great to have survive both of the nuclear bomb.
:o

Posted Image

☆,。・:*:・°'★,。☆,。・:*:・°'★,。 So this is how SeaSick is like. . . .☆,。・:*:・°'★,。☆,。・:*:・°'★,。

#3 Mai17

Mai17

I'm so damn broke right now ....

• Banned
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

not sure if it's good luck or bad luck

got hit by the two atomic bombs that EVER used in history @ two different time, date and location yet still lived to his 90s

one thing is sure ...

it sucks to be him ...

#4 Waku!Waku!

Waku!Waku!

KameiAleque

• Senpai
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Lets pray for his soul...
Posted Image
Set is made by Silverwind [GEE TEE].

"i am your pudding's jelly, would you like to eat me?"
-Taeyeon (SNSD)

#5 Chudreav

Chudreav

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Lets pray for his soul...

I agree. I only heard about his story last year. Really bad luck..

#6 яιвση♥

яιвση♥

Keep your SMILE!

• Senpai
  • 2930 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:20 AM

Poor guy.

This is the first I've heard of him actually

v1rWyzF.png

#7 pesbs

pesbs

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

@Mai17

Yes, I agree with you.
The thing is that it can actually be both bad and good luck. Bad because he got hit by both atomic bombs and good because he survived both attacks.

#8 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

Gawd, so he got hit by 2 atomic bombs!? Man that sucks... I'm surprised he lived till his 90s D: !

Rest in peace, I hope those horrible bombs won't be used again ^^;

g8aHT2F.gif

#9 TerryXX

TerryXX

Retired Member

• Senpai
  • 1252 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

wow tis the first time i heard about this, poor guy!

^agreed

#10 MatchinColorGurl08

MatchinColorGurl08

10 years J-Pop and 9 years of K-pop

• Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Wow!! I never heard of that part in Japanese history books at my college.

#11 moonwell

moonwell

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

There is many important things they leave out in the history books.
Posted Image
Made by Molly <3 Thank you !
Visit my store!

#12 ダコタ!

ダコタ!

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

^ Very true.

History books cannot explain the horrors and truth of firsthand experiences like the tragedies this man had endured in his lifetime because such tragedies cannot be described in words.

I hope the rest of the world has learned the devastation that these bombs have caused. The bombings may have occured long ago, but repercussions of the attacks still plague Japan today. Ever since I read the Sadako and the Paper Cranes story in elementary school, I've been very hostile towards this topic. This man was unlucky enough to be in the worst two places at the worst two times the world has ever known.

He will surely be missed, it must have been incredibly sad to hear his story, but it would also give the listener a lot of knowledge about the bombings.

I hope to one day live in a world that condones worldwide peace instead of using violence and terrorism to put one country above the rest. Innocent lives are lost for terrible causes, but this is the harsh reality of this cruel world. No one can save you.

What we have here is a strange case of luck; the man was unlucky enough to be hit by both blasts, but lucky enough to survive until he reached an age above the normal life expectancy, and probably much more than anyone who had been caught up in these events.

Life is but a movie.

#13 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

well sad hear he died sucks he had to go through it twice aty least he can finally rest now

made me think

man: thanks god i finally made it home after living through that awful night nightmare.....hey isnt that a us plane up in the sky
second bomb hits

that just suck

but lets say this to remember him
lets hope no one else will ever know what it was like to be atomic bomb survivor and never use such weapons again

anyways RIP
let history never forget
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#14 wvTanakaFan

wvTanakaFan

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

I seen a small blurb about this on CNN..its unfortunant that they couldn't give anymore time than just 2 mins. The use of Atomic weapons were terrible and all we can do is hope that they will never be used again for any reason. My prayers are with your soul Yamaguchi-san

Yamaguchi-san
Requiescant in Pace(rest in peace)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users