Photo

Talk About Books! What book are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
965 replies to this topic

#41 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

just bought the paperback of "Knife of Dreams" (Book 11). man, i just started on the prologue & already i've realised how long since i read Book 10 & the rest and how much i've forgotten. had to wait this long to buy Book 11 coz my collection is the normal paperback with black cover & the wheel of time symbol in front (this is the UK version), not the large paperback or the ones with pictures on them (US version) which came out a year earlier i think. had to go back to read the online WOT encyclopedia to remember the characters and the plotline.

what i think of the series? true, it kinda got slow towards the later books. but i find it surprising, for a someone like me who usually doesn't like too much description in a story, i just love the details of WOT. like the epic feel of it and various plotlines. it can got confusing at times & it's far rom perfect, but if it's between loving it or hating it, i love it personally.

official news has quoted Robert Jordan saying that he will definitely end the series with Book 12, even if it has to be >2000 pages. i haven't finished Book 11 yet, but i'm wondering how all the plots can really end with just one more book. Will Tarman Gaidon be in Book 12? i guess we'll just have to wait.

i'm a friggin' book worm, so it's pretty hard to recommend books coz i love so much. just finished reading "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt which was a really good & funny account of his teacher days. if i had to recommend one book, i'd probably recommend "What Should I Do With My Life?" by Po Bronson. the book doesn't really give the answer outright, but by reading the various accounts/stories in the book, u can't help being inspired :o

If he has to fit Tarmon Gaidon into one book aswell as tie up all the plotlines, well....thats gotta be an amazing book. It would have to be action from beginning to end, so i'm looking forward to it.
I love the details of WOT too, but i agree with you about getting confused sometimes.
I might just look into those books you mentioned.
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#42 Ash

Ash

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Finished The Mousetrap and Selected Plays by Agatha Christie and Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Matsumoto Seicho. Both were kinda disappointing.

Plotwise, I can't understand how it's possible for The Mousetrap to be the longest running English play in the world. So weak, even when holding in mind it's a play and not a novel. The other plays were kinda weak too, with Appointment with Death the best in the selection.

Inspector Imanishi Investigates, or Suna no Utsuwa in Japan, was written by the famous detective writer Matsumoto Seicho, so I was very anxious to read it. It started really good, with a clue regarding Japanese dialects (sorta an interest of mine). The ending though was ridiculous, Matsumoto had just as well let the murderweapon be an alien laser -_-;
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

#43 paranoidAndroid

paranoidAndroid

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

I just finished reading Ooka shohei's Fires on the plain. Now im reading this filipino novel called "Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din."
And im having a hard time reading a tagalog novel than an English one. This will be my first tagalog novel that I will be reading. Once I'm done with this I will be moving on Jose Rizal's Noli Me Tangere or El Filibusterismo.

#44 Eryri

Eryri

Keeper Of The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

Currently reading 2 books:

Captive State - The Corporate Takeover Of Britain: all about corporations that have become so powerful in Britain they threaten the foundations of democratic government.

Shopped - The Shocking Power Of Britain's Supermarkets: the title of the book is self explanatory. How the supermarkets are destroying small traders, bullying it's own suppliers and food that comes from abroad that lacks flavour, quality and is pumped full of chemicals and crap.

#45 orac

orac

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

I had a book arrive the other day, can't read it yet though. It is called something like: Tokyo Tower, Mom, I and sometimes Dad.
Posted Image

#46 S4ku

S4ku

.:Dark Prophet of Mikiism:.

• Senpai
  • 1066 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

Atm im reading the book "Across the nightingale floor" about the clan Otori.. the first one of four books

Posted Image
[Daimyou S4ku Member of the Miki Branch of W.H.O.A.]

#47 wildstarr

wildstarr

Goddess, thy name is Maki.

• Senpai
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

I'm pretty random with my book readings, i'm with with Tough Guys Don't Dance (Norman Mailer) now, a week ago, The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), a month ago Feet of Clay (Terry Pratchett). Who knows what i'll be reading in a couple of days... (maybe an spanish writer, if a friends lends me El Pintor de Batallas).

I recomend everyone Discworld. Is hard to not love that books...

Hey another Terry Pratchett fan! :w00t!: I am reading Thief of Time right now. And yes if you like British humor grab the Discworld books. They are hilarious.

Posted Image

#48 ~Tettekete~

~Tettekete~

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

Just finished Ikebukuro West Gate Park XD
Posted Image

#49 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hey another Terry Pratchett fan! :w00t!: I am reading Thief of Time right now. And yes if you like British humor grab the Discworld books. They are hilarious.

I read the first book (Colour of magic) recently, but i just didn't find it funny at all. And i'm from Britain :lol:
It's not for me but i know lots of Pratchett fans here.
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#50 fr0d0b0ls0n

fr0d0b0ls0n

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1027 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

I read the first book (Colour of magic) recently, but i just didn't find it funny at all. And i'm from Britain :lol:

You aren't Britain, you are from Outer Space!!! j/k

Anyway Colour of Magic isnt the better one for starting with Discworld. I'll read Mort, Guards, Guards or Small Gods first.

Let the Terry-evangelization begin! ::P:

Aichan - Kamei - Riho - Kaedy - Sakura - Maachan - Fukuchan - Ayumi

#51 Ash

Ash

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I've read several Discworld novels, all dealing with the Watch. I don't know how the other "series" are, but the Watch is at least very entertaining with it's diverse castmembers and the ever cynical Vimes. Especially Feet of Clay was cool, dealing with a murder plot (I'm a sucker for murder mysteries) and even several (gasp!) Clues.

I actually started with Night Watch. Which was kinda hard. Don't recommend that as a Discworld starter :lol:

Currently reading: The Murdered Moths and Other Radio Mysteries, Ellery Queen.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

#52 Sliverfall

Sliverfall

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

I'm not reading anything right now, but I did just finish Dragonlance- The Dark Disciple vol 2: Amber and Iron. That is a good book! It's one of the best Dragonlance books I've read in awhile. It's very interesting, it just keeps you begging for more. I can't wait for the 3rd volume to come out!
Posted Image

#53 J_Binos

J_Binos

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

reading some book for school..."the Book of the Lion" by Michael Cadnum .. not relli interesting but i have to make a bookreport on it...sigh* summer n i hav homework...

#54 Amoz

Amoz

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2054 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

I'm currently reading Love Hina the novel (1st book) and before anyone says anything, it's not the manga, it really is a novel.

Internet killed common sense.

#55 Eryri

Eryri

Keeper Of The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

I'm now reading Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz. I just love his suspense novels. Once you start reading one of his books you just don't want to put it down.

#56 konstargirl

konstargirl

Been liking Touhou since 07 B******

• Senpai
  • 2615 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

Well, tommorow I'm going to read a beverly clearly book I checked out at the library. Oh yeah, to tell you the truth, I don' have a computer at home, I'm using the librarys computers instead. My big sister Chirstine has one, but she wouldn't let me used it untill further notice. :c06:
Posted Image

Halloween!!!

#57 elko

elko

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

I like sci-fi and now I'm reading Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
Posted Image

#58 fulano

fulano

I love Dream World

• Validating
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

The last book I finished is called "BLUE LATITUDES Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before," by Tony Horowitz. It is a very well written documentary about (most) of Capt. Cook's travels on his three world voyages. What makes this book unique is that the author (who is not a sailor, BTW) travels the world following Cook's voyages, and the world he visits is quite different than that of Cook's day. Using several literary sources, he reconstructs Cook's experiences of finding unspoiled tropical paradises in the South Pacific, then contrasts those images with the present condition. The book is a real eye opener for a westerner such as myself, and Horowitz doesn't pull any punches. What the reader gets is an unbiased glimpse into the lives of the islanders where he journeyed, and how they view the old fair captain. On some islands, Cook is highly praised, but by and large, he is looked down upon as one who brought venerial disease, greed, crime, and poverty to islands once inhabited by peoples who were self sufficient, healthy, and happy without the taint of the "civilized" world.
"What is it gentlemen wish? What would they have?Is it life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbit it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"

-Patrick Henry

#59 wildstarr

wildstarr

Goddess, thy name is Maki.

• Senpai
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

I read the first book (Colour of magic) recently, but i just didn't find it funny at all. And i'm from Britain :)

I didn't find that one funny either. I started in the middle of the series and his books get MUCH better later on. I started at Small Gods. Like fr0d0b0ls0n said I'd start with that one.

Posted Image

#60 RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMooch

• Senpai
  • 1350 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:34 AM

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey. Mummy got it for me :/ I'm going to assume that "Don't sleep in class you 'tard" is going to be in it just for me ::(:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users