59 replies to this topic

#1 SparklingMelrosePool

SparklingMelrosePool

7th gen member

• Senpai
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hey guys, long time no see! :good:

It seems that the comments area of the torrents is mostly just used for saying "thank you" these days - which is nice, but not really necessary. So I thought I'd start this thread for actual discussion of the episodes themselves. I think I've said it in the past, but comments and questions about my subs mean much more to me than thanks. It shows that people have taken the time to watch and enjoy the episodes, and lets me know that my efforts weren't wasted.

So what did you think? The first two the six episodes are out already, but in my opinion, the best is yet to come :P . But all early Utabans were great. What did you like about these? Or what didn't you like? Any questions or things you didn't understand? Anywhere my translation totally failed XD ?

And if anyone's wondering about my "comeback" - it's not really a permanent arrangement. Basically I just worked with HPS again to get these six must-see Utabans out. But there are still a few videos in my collection that are calling my name, begging to be subbed. So it's quite possible you may still see more from me when these are done.

m@

#2 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

I think I've said it in the past, but comments and questions about my subs mean much more to me than thanks. ........So what did you think?

I think most of us fans' proficiency in Japanese is so much lower compared to yours that we're unable to say anything but "Thank you very much!"
We're so overjoyed at having the privilege of watching a subbed Utaban that we're unable to bring ourselves to criticize your excellent translations!

But anyway, what I usually enjoy most about these Utaban episodes is Taka-san's unique and hilarious brand of humour...
And I like the way he shows his genuine love for the Musumes by teasing them!

#3 tensai87

tensai87

Custom member title... ah?

• Senpai
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:24 AM

I think the subs are really good. There is no problem in reading and understand them!
About the show, it's funny seeing Iida being the star! they pick on her a lot, lol. Also it's kind of weird to watch Yaguchi and Yasuda more silent than the other members :good:
Posted Image

#4 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

Well, actually I have a problem with this Utaban:

http://www.hello-onl...p;torrent=15351

I can't download it... it says "Error (access denied, wait time in effect)"... I downloaded it 2 times, as I said on the torrent's comments, but I really want to watch it, so... ;_; I don't know XD

g8aHT2F.gif

#5 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

^ Because your upload/download ratio is too low for you to start downloading immediately... you might need to wait nearly another day... but you can try searching through Veoh; maybe someone will upload it there within the next few hours...

#6 Cotton Cloth

Cotton Cloth

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:58 AM

As much as I love watching these classic episodes - and they are a genuine delight - there's something a bit depressing about them. They really bring home how the current line-up is such a pale imitation of the originals. Gen 1 & 2 were so natural, so un-affected. It's as though the UFA machine has taken the life out of the girls and replaced it with cute poses and animal ears.

I was trying to hear the bit Matt was translating as "be", but couldn't quite make it out. If you don't speak a language it's really hard to notice these things. Can someone post what I should listen for?
Posted Image

#7 int0sia

int0sia

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

Great Utaban as always <3 And thanks for subbing HPS!

I was wondering who this lovely girl in back is?

Posted Image

XD
Posted Image

#8 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

Taka just started adding -be to all his comments after Nacchi got mad so it probably doesn't mean anything as it's part of a dialect maybe kind of like -dattebayo being on the end of most sentences by the manga character Naruto or how sometimes people slur desu/masu into -sse/ssu (eg Yukina saying kakkoissu instead of kakkoii desu).

Old Utaban makes one wonder what could have been if the girls who let early (Asuka, Kaa-san and Aya) would have stayed a little while more. Beating the dead horse but I doubt most of the current generation could take that sort of teasing or be as outspoken. The Manatsu no Kousen episode was quite raunchy with the 'copycat videos' and the anger meter.

Next gen Musume needs someone kind of dangerous as well as someone with a powerful voice.

Wasn't there two people in the waiting room dressed the same? Puffy?

#9 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Wasn't there two people in the waiting room dressed the same? Puffy?

I'm quite sure that wasn't Puffy...

In fact, I've just discovered here that they're known as:

FLIP-FLAP (フリップフラップ) - Wikipedia

FLIP-FLAP - Official Home Page

#10 siaogeena

siaogeena

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

wah thanks
was hoping more of utaban episodes
its so damn funny....

#11 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

I can't download it... it says "Error (access denied, wait time in effect)"... I downloaded it 2 times, as I said on the torrent's comments, but I really want to watch it, so... ;_; I don't know <3

If you still haven't managed to download it, someone has uploaded it, and the previous one, to YouTube:

YouTube - 990323 morning musume 1/2

YouTube - 990323 morning musume 2/2

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 1/3

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 2/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdx5BbfyMYM

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 3/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZg0y4jvFus

#12 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

No wonder since it took bilingual searching to find any info on that group which probably should have been a little bit more successful since they are twins but who knows why some groups do well and other's don't? Flip Flap flopped? Along with a large number of futbol videos there seem to be a few PVs/CMs for them on youtube.

Off topic: The only selfish request would be for subbed Utaban for some of the other H!P groups like Melon Kinenbi or Taiyo to Ciscomoon but as even the raws are difficult to find it's merely a what if request.

Further off topic: Sadly a lot of other groups that were super popular around that time (MAX, SPEED, ZONE) don't have too much in the way of TV show appearances online or subbed episodes but then again they were just unfortunate to have peaked before all this lovely technology we have today where we can have 5 different resolutions/bitrates of just about everything.

#13 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

^ Because your upload/download ratio is too low for you to start downloading immediately... you might need to wait nearly another day... but you can try searching through Veoh; maybe someone will upload it there within the next few hours...

Oh thank you, yes I had to wait ;) but now I downloaded it and I'm watching it right now :D I love these Utaban :D

(And... I can't watch videos from Veoh :D it's not available in my country anymore).

g8aHT2F.gif

#14 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

(And... I can't watch videos from Veoh :blink: it's not available in my country anymore).

Did you manage to check out the YouTube links I posted in this thread over half a day ago? Sometimes, they can also be available on YouTube, and if the titles and tags are obscure enough, they can remain there for a very long time, even over a year; but of course, the quality won't be as good as the actual file... but it should be clear enough to be highly entertaining!

#15 Cotton Cloth

Cotton Cloth

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Oh thank you, yes I had to wait :P but now I downloaded it and I'm watching it right now :D I love these Utaban :P

I hope you're busily seeding what you've downloaded so that you can get your ratio up. That way you'll be able to get the next episode as soon as it's released.
Posted Image

#16 SparklingMelrosePool

SparklingMelrosePool

7th gen member

• Senpai
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

I was trying to hear the bit Matt was translating as "be", but couldn't quite make it out. If you don't speak a language it's really hard to notice these things. Can someone post what I should listen for?

As mixedmedia said, it was the best way I could come up with to quickly convey Abe's Hokkaidou dialect. Most of the time she was ending her lines with "...da be" or "...da be sa". There may have been other forms in there, but those were the two most common. In past subs I've either ignored her occassional dialect slip (when it didn't matter), or just put a note like "(in Hokkaidou dialect)" of the top of the screen (when it did matter). But it came up so many times in these '99 Utabans that I needed some quick shorthand way to show she was speaking funny. :sob:

Off topic: The only selfish request would be for subbed Utaban for some of the other H!P groups like Melon Kinenbi or Taiyo to Ciscomoon but as even the raws are difficult to find it's merely a what if request.

Believe me, if I came across any T&C Utabans, they'd shoot right to the top of my list of potential subbing projects. Anything with RuRu is awesome, so RuRu on Utaban would be unimaginably choice... :lol:

m@

#17 faraithi sayounara~*waves*

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 7029 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Anything with RuRu is awesome, so RuRu on Utaban would be unimaginably choice... http://www.hello-onl...tyle_emoticons/hello-online/cool.gif

Yes, I agree totally! :sob:
RuRu is a sweetie! :lol:

#18 SunshineSlayer

SunshineSlayer

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

I really don't have anything to critique, because your translations are always great. But I would like to know how you went about studying Japanese to get to this level. I myself am preparing for the JLPT level 3 test and could use any studying advice I can get.

Thanks once again for your great translations and I hope that one day every MM Utaban will have subs. ^^;

#19 Haylee

Haylee

Old School Avenger!

• Senpai
  • 1135 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:06 AM

Thank you for the great subs!

I would just like to say that sometimes you have 'you're' when it should be 'your' and other trivial things like that. But that's my only critique! Good work!

Posted Image
Member of WHOA: Iida Kaori, Fukuda Asuka & Maeda Yuki Branches
"Don't love your new girl the same as you loved me..." -Memory Seishun no Hikari

#20 LoveMomusu

LoveMomusu

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

I can't download it... it says "Error (access denied, wait time in effect)"... I downloaded it 2 times, as I said on the torrent's comments, but I really want to watch it, so... ;_; I don't know :D

If you still haven't managed to download it, someone has uploaded it, and the previous one, to YouTube:

YouTube - 990323 morning musume 1/2

YouTube - 990323 morning musume 2/2

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 1/3

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 2/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdx5BbfyMYM

YouTube - 990527 morning musume 3/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZg0y4jvFus

OMG....thanks for putting this on....but is this also available on veoh??? i like to keep the file :sly:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users