• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

You don't need a reason to help people.

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:56 AM

I'm just curious as to what software is used to do the subtitling, and what conventions there are for subtitling? Any strict rules that the Subtitlers must abide by, etc?

I'm not looking to get into subtitling (yet), but am just generally curious as to the process undertaken by those who subtitle.

In a few years when I'm good enough, I might like to take up subtitling. :P Even subtitle some things like the new Doctor Who into Japanese (If it hasn't been done already). Anyway, that's neither here nor there for this point in time.

Any answers very welcome. :D

arigatou. :)

#2 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:45 AM

Not too sure if this is int eh right section but..

Subtitling is a Broad thing... So you can't really ask it int he way you did.. As you know Subtitling includes if not all:
Timing
Encoding(Unless you doing softsubs)
Typesetting(Unless you do default and don't want it to look flashy)
Editing

Hehe forget what else there is...

But coming from someone with Editing/Encoding experience.. it can be a hard task to do ALL of that for subtitling and that is why I said you asked it in the wrong way..

As I do not know how to create subtitles myself only programs I know others use are Aegissub (I think.. but Aegis something) ahaha and it does take a while to learn each part and yeah...

Not too sure what else to say but I am sure others here will provide you better information + links as I am currently busy at the moment to provide such.

Edit: You can always Google these things (That is how I learned to Encode)

Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.
OR if you need my assistance in fansubbing (QC/Encoding), let me know.

#3 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

Okay, I've checked out a few different programs now, and Aeguisub really does seem to out-shine the rest.

After much struggling, the (very basic) tutorial, I think that I'm barely starting to get to grips with this program.

What I'd really like to know, is which comes first, "The chicken or the egg"?

i.e. Is it better to lay out the subs first, line by line in something like notepad, or is it better to use the software to do it all at once, timing and all?

Of course, because I currently only know English, I'm only subtitling English stuff into English, atm <3 but that's really just so that by the time I'm good enough at Japanese to do subtitling, I'll have a positive handling of the software.

Maybe one day I'll even be brave enough to venture into the karaoke side of things, but for now I'll just leave that as 'something yet to be discovered.'

Again, any and all help is very, very welcome.

Thank you. :)

#4 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:19 AM

No experience int he field but generally I would think do everything you can within Aegisub opposed to Notepad because you can export the file as a .txt or whatever format after you are done.
Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.

#5 BigDnm01

BigDnm01

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

i recently got this software called VirtualDubMod, but i don't know how to use it. if someone could give me some pointers that'll be great.
also i had subcreator and subtitleworkshop for creating subs, but with virtualdubmod, can i create subs and the timing with it and encode it as well?
do i still need subcreator or subtitleworkshop?
is there any better software out there than VDM?

also i try searching for Aeguisub, but no luck. if anyone could any some of my question, i'm really grateful.

#6 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:08 AM

I don't really know anything about VirtualDub, but I know that you can get aegisub here. :blush: Good luck. ^^;

Edit: After a bit of a poke around on the internet, I found this; a considerablly adequate tutorial! :lol:

Hope I've helped. ^_^

#7 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:25 AM

@BigDnm01: You cannot create Subs with VDM, you can encode with VDM and add in filters/subs, but not create.

For subbing best bet is Aegisub, gets a little getting used to but works wonders.

For a tutorial... Emm let me see if I can find my short guide...
(Copied and pasted from my source)

"The following is a Quick Run Through on how to encode using xVid.

Alrights then, I am not a great teacher or anything so my explanations isn't going to be too helpful as I am better at showing but don't really have the time to continuously make screenshots due to me being lazy like that.

But here is a quick run through of the settings you should have:
(In Video->Compression Settings)
-Profile ->unrestricted
Click on More next to it and you should have the following settings:
Quantization Type: H.263
Following should be checked:
B-VOPS (Numbers should be 2, 1.50, 1.00), Packed Bitstream

-Zones: Be sure to remove whatever is there.

At the bottom of that screen should be a Quality Preset, click on 'More...' and be sure the only things checked are, 'Use chroma motion' and 'turbo'. In the Quantization tab, make sure the numbers are; 2,31,2,31,2,31.

-Open up the Video file you'd like to Encode, and then load the appropriate filters that you will be using with the Video.

-Twopass 1st / 2nd, 1st is easy just select that and okay it and save as .avi and be sure to just store in job control and not to process, on 2nd pass {Alrights that is the basic setup, and in the Target Size here is the tricky part as you want your file to be as small as possible without losing quality so here are the ranges for you to pick from.
Music Videos: 20,000 - 50,000 (10-50MB, and of course if you want to be safe you can just set it to 100,000(For 100mb)).
TV Shows/Movies: 290,000 - 500,000 (190-500mb)}

Then okay everything and then save as .avi again same as 1st pass, and after go to File-> Job Control-> Start

Again this is only the quick guide and there are a few more things to do but those take much more time to 'teach' and I really am not sure how to explain how to use the 'extra-files' that I use so sorry for that...

But that should be able to get you headed in the right direction for Encoding using xVid"-SC

As for Aegis sub.. yeah.. don't have a guide and can't really post the one my leader made... But the link Horrisu-san posted isn't bad :blush:

#8 BigDnm01

BigDnm01

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:59 AM

to SacredCultivator and horrisu-san
Thanks for ur help. i'll see what i can do with this. and u say that Aegisub can do anything from creating subs, timing, encoding and typesetting? that's fabulous.

btw, SacredCultivator, are u a member of JPH!P forums as well? cuz i'm sure i chat to someone with the same username before whom also gave me some tips. if not, then completely ignore this part.

#9 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

@BigDnm01: Correction, Aegisub can do all you listed except Encoding :blush:, that is where VDM comes in.

#10 Dronak

Dronak

9th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

HPS does have guidelines for editing scripts. Kuno wrote them up and passed them to me when I joined the team. It contains information on how to use certain punctuation marks, conventions HPS follows, templates for the credit lines (which editors add to the scripts), etc. It's basically a list of how HPS does things so that all our scripts and subtitles can end up looking the same.

#11 .Brian

.Brian

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1258 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

I wanted to make a new topic, but i guess it fits in here aswell.

Wouldn't it be easier for HPS to just release soft subs? :-)
No Reina No Life!
Posted Image
Now back online!

#12 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

@Falc: This has been discussed and yes it would be easier for EVERYONE but it just isn't because of the things discussed (using subs as your own{Taking Credit} if you post elsewhere) that is why most groups do Hardsubs only, because of that... Sure there are some softsubbers + soft/hard subbers.

#13 .Brian

.Brian

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1258 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

@Falc: This has been discussed and yes it would be easier for EVERYONE but it just isn't because of the things discussed (using subs as your own{Taking Credit} if you post elsewhere) that is why most groups do Hardsubs only, because of that... Sure there are some softsubbers + soft/hard subbers.

Aaaah, okay.
Fair enough. ^^;

If only there was a way to create DRM protected subs. :rolleyes:
No Reina No Life!
Posted Image
Now back online!

#14 Universus

Universus

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:25 AM