• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MinikuiOnnanoko

MinikuiOnnanoko

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

For those who don't know what is Fruits Basket, Fruits Basket follows the life of high school student Tohru Honda, recently orphaned when her mother is killed in a car crash. Tohru lives with her grandfather, but when his family moves in, and remodelling is performed on the house, Tohru resorts to living in a tent, unwilling to impose on her friends, and holds down a job to support herself. Despite suffering many hardships, Tohru remains her cheerful and optimistic self.

One day, Tohru comes upon a house in the woods which is the home of Shigure Sohma and Yuki Sohma (an admired and worshipped, yet aloof, boy from her school) from the Sohma family. When the Sohmas discover that Tohru is, in fact, living in a tent in the woods, they are quite suprised. The entire area is Sohma property, and Tohru pleads to stay, offering to pay a rental fee for living on their land. Feeling sorry for her, and desperate to end their take-out eating habits and filthy living conditions, the Sohmas offer her their spare room in exchange for cooking and housework. When her tent is buried that night in a landslide, she has no option but to accept.

Tohru soon discovers the Sohma family's secret, and the reason why Yuki is so private and taciturn; thirteen members of the family are possessed by the 12 animal spirits of the Chinese Zodiac ("Jyūnishi" in Japanese) and the spirit of the cat. They transform into animals when hugged by the opposite gender, or when they are under great amounts of stress. When she promises to keep their secret, the Sohmas allow Tohru to keep her memories rather than hypnotically erasing them, a fate that has previously befallen everyone who had found out.

The story follows the lives of Tohru and the Sohma family, as they deal with each other and a society where neither quite fits in, as well as the feared Akito Sohma, head of the Sohma family.

Has anyone seen this great Anime of read this wonderful Manga? If so, what do you think of it? I think it's awesome! I have 5 mangas and 3 DVDs. If you haven't seen/read it, you must! You're going to love it.

Fruits Basket's Official website

Posted Image

Cover of the Fruits Basket 1!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

Looking to create H!O's version of the Wu-Tang Clan

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

Shigure is pimp! He is a dog that loves high school girls
Join the Wu!Project...Three Spots Still Open, PM for more information
Listen to the H!O Podcast at the thread!
http://www.hello-onl...?showtopic=6332
Or Go Straight To the Episodes!
http://helloonline.m....com/index.html <---- New Episode Every Saturday Night: Check Your Local Listings

#3 (AZN)animedude

(AZN)animedude

O__O

• Senpai
  • 2588 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:18 AM

:D no ur not the only one...i'm still here :lol:

meh but to be honest i'm not a huge fan of it considering...i haven't the time nor the space to watch it...but what i've seen was pretty nice IMO
:P suddenly...azn's become a ZONE man XD

read mah blogs =D
and read mah reviews =D #2 on that list, and going up

#4 jangster

jangster

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

I've seen the anime and it's definitely one of my favorites. What I really love about it is the characters. Their personalities are portrayed amazingly well. And even though the series might seem a bit episodic at some points, it's the character development that keeps the story going so strong. Not many animes can get so silly without getting distracted from the intelligent main themes, or make you cry in one scene and laugh in the very next one.
Posted Image

#5 MinikuiOnnanoko

MinikuiOnnanoko

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

The thing I like in Furuba the most is the chatracters. :c16: They are so lovely and adorable. XD
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#6 maikosaiko

maikosaiko

4th gen member

• Senpai
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

just swong by to say i'm also very touched by this 'girly' anime.
i've been skeptical about watching shojo manga, but chobits changed
it all, and i tried and watched fruits baket dvd. minoru honda is hot !! :lol:
ZONE gave me the strength and energy to my life... they're just like vitamins.
Posted Image

#7 Sophie Rose

Sophie Rose

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:36 AM

After reading and watching the anime/manga, I would have to say I like the manga better. Well I was disappointed that they didn't introduce either Rin or Kureno in the anime. =/

There was more drama in the manga. Now if there was only a second season. XDD We get to see all the good stuff happening. >>;;

#8 Sho85

Sho85

9th gen member

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

For the manga (translated in english),you can download them at Stoptazmo.com. I think the story is nearly at the end already. :P

#9 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:18 AM

After reading and watching the anime/manga, I would have to say I like the manga better. Well I was disappointed that they didn't introduce either Rin or Kureno in the anime. =/

There was more drama in the manga. Now if there was only a second season. XDD We get to see all the good stuff happening. >>;;

yea thats what most people say, the manga is way better the the anime

racequeen.jpg

#10 katkat33

katkat33

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

wah, that was a detailed overview =P

yea i watched fruits basket a while ago.. i liked it sooo much :lol: i realli liked the OP theme song, and i memorised it and kept singing it at one point ::lol:: although i didn't understand half of what i was singing hehe ^^'

#11 kamegoo

kamegoo

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4517 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

when you say fruits basket..i always think of kyo first..he always comes to my mind...

i wonder y...

maybe its because he is soo HOt.. :blush :c33: :c13:

and i love the way the story goes..i read and watch it..
3Y2YJ.png
cr: R/M & SweetHoney

#12 Jpopgoth

Jpopgoth

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

I love fruits basket and my fav character is yuki and hatori there so calm. :wub: <3 :wub: :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

KaWaII

#13 nic

nic

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

Watched the anime.

Favourite characters: Kyo the cat

#14 MaioAio

MaioAio

「赤西」と「伊野尾」 two timer, slave, wife & GF

• Senpai
  • 1965 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have the anime and mangas 1-14. It's nice, but it start to be so boring. I don't like it anymore, it's starting to be so serious after 10th volume...

#15 CowSuitGirl

CowSuitGirl

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2036 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree with MaioAio.

#16 MaioAio

MaioAio

「赤西」と「伊野尾」 two timer, slave, wife & GF

• Senpai
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

How nice that someone thinks like me! :cold:

#17 Japtalian

Japtalian

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

Fruits Basket was the first manga I ever read, and it is still be absolute favorite.

Has anyone seen this AMV? It's so sweet :cold:
The Day Kyoko Slipped Away

#18 Anna(dactyl)

Anna(dactyl)

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

Furuba is one of the two manga I still read (the other being The Wallflower)
But, I think I'm one or two volumes behind, and this is in America, which I think is much farther behind.
My favorite characters actually aren't zodiac characters... Hana-chan, Uo-chan, and Kakeru, who I don't believe is in the anime. Can't get enough of those last two and their arrogantness. (is he in the anime? I wouldn't know, I don't watch it.)

Scratch that, I just looked him up on Wikipedia. He only appears in the manga. (coincedentally, the next one I need to read has him on the cover! whee! :wub: I guess you could say he's my absolute favorite.... so energetic and adorable and fake-innocent and all that jazz)

Though, if I had to pick a favorite Zodiac character, it would be Haru... don't ask me to explain, way too much going into that one.

Not to offend anyone, but I really dislike Tohru. I know she should be admirable, what with her caring about others more than herself, but there's something about her being too... girly? weak? I don't know.

Now that I'm done with that... :sob:

XD FURUBA~!

#19 Kurrupt

Kurrupt

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1123 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

i liked fruits basket

but i never have time/enough money to buy the rest of the manga :x

#20 matt9210

matt9210

Rika <3

• Senpai
  • 3938 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Boys, can you tell me whether you like this manga?

Im a bit wary of getting shoujo in case its a bit TOO girly.

matt2.jpg
Credit goes to Cassandra for this beautiful set <3
Finally saw Rika on 27/05/10 at the H&A Concert in London <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users