• Please log in to reply
1026 replies to this topic

#1021 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Spoilers for actual spoilers as well as me rambling about said spoilers. Also I promise I'm not trying to hurt anyone's fun or go on and on about how bad 15 is. I just have a lot of feels after waiting so long and after playing World and all of the 13 sequels which were all fantastic games and this one just isn't.

The possé is flat and one-dimensional, and in the English dub, kind of mean? Both Ignis and Gladio get irritated easily and are awfully bossy considering Noctis is the crown prince/chosen king. I could forgive that if there were some actual character development giving me some motivations or depth of personality, but instead they remain stereotypes pretty much throughout the entire thing. They kind of attempted something weird with Prompto, but that whole thing came so out of left field at the end of the game that all I could do was laugh because it made absolutely no sense, and clearly none of the other characters were bothered, either. Like, whatever plot points they tried to throw in for some sense of emotional range or conflict didn't work cohesively because they didn't go any deeper into the story, and the characters mostly just moved through those points rather than showing us any sort of growth or change. It certainly didn't help that they never spent more than 10 seconds on any given character's actions or history.

Spoiler

It would have been so easy to balance the sidequests with story and character development, too, but they didn't.

Okay, to put this into perspective, before I even got to Lestallum for the first time, I had put in about 30 hours of gameplay in completing about 50 sidequests, not one of which gave me anything to add to the narrative of the game or defined any backstory or character. And there are so many open world games that do that so well. That's part of the reason why I rate the game so low (in addition to several other reasons): there are just too many other games that successfully do what 15 attempted and failed to do for them to have any excuse for their failure. 

I honestly don't see them doing a sequel just because of how the game ended.

Spoiler

I see 15 as a spiritual successor to 12. There are a ton of similarities, even if unintended, but I imagine SE's response will be similar as well. They try it, they promote it to moderate acclaim, they aren't crazy about the end result, maybe quietly release a small extension of the universe, probably for handheld, and then move on. I mean the fact that they let Tabata be the sole director after a certain point does suggest that they just wanted it over and done with. He's a closer, not a creative. 

DDOhydd.gif

#1022 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

New patch in FFXV lets you play in the Moogle Chocobo Carnival! As long as you have a save in altissia you can take part in the festival~ 

With all the doom and gloom in altissia, it's a nice change of pace lol 

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#1023 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

Final Fantasy XV

@minaeshi: thanks, I checked and yes, I had to select an outpost for fast travel. Still sucks you can't just jump to some locations. Plus the Regalia is so slow, I wish it'd have a bit more speed it's always in cruise mode. 
Yes I already bought a lot of music, especially FFIX's which I love. The last days I could play (I ended chapter 6 and had to leave the PS4 at mum's so I won't be able to play for a long while lmao we take turns because I'm a good daughter) I ended up totally forgetting to put play, and went feed the dogs or sth in between the longass trips. 

Disappointed the summons are like that, honestly they get their hair wet when it rains that should be enough realism. I loved the part of the first summon though, Gladio should havebeen more empathetic dude was having a big headache lmao.

^Apart from that, I saw there are Prompto and Gladio chapters coming up? Hope it adds to their characters. I haven't been able to download any extra content -third world country internet, but only at mum's lol-.

I didn't read the spoilers Lurkette posted but I did with everything else. IA about the sidequests. They get hella repetitive, like giving someone stuff to repair their car. I already did it like 5 times. The quest I loved was killing some of the huge toads because, I did it freely and went to the toad lady who actually asked to do that, so it was like yass I beat you to it, don't have to go back. Didn't know the developing system was such a mess, just that it took longer than expected. Like The Last Guardian.

I hate the hunt system like can't you just save the requests instead of having to go back and accept another request? Does it have to be one and only hunt, in turns? And every dude has a different hunt task so I have to check in person which ones I'm missing. Doesn't help last rpg I played with hunts was Ni no Kuni and it had a normal hunt system with a list.  The hunts per se are fun though, I'm still some levels lower but the big bird sounds like fun, or that thing that creeps on the road.

Which takes me to Ignis's "Noct, the roads are perilous at night...". Quoting Auron: "Enough." Certain cutscenes also get a bit uneccesary, like when you have to decide what to eat and he does that hand...well I can't remember how you say that even in Spanish, but just after you decide. Ignis in general annoys me a bit. Too serious, is the one that talks saying stuff like perilous the most, and spoiler for chapter 6 

Spoiler
. Also about Ignis https://prompt-ffxv....509/oh-my-jesus

Another spoiler for chapter 6, 

Spoiler

Gladious like Ignis feels a bit one dimensional. Their "skills" feel a bit useless, and it brings me to Prompto's photos, another cutscene (I know cutscene is not the word but I don't know the word for that) that gets a bit...idk it's like enough of it already. I feel I need to get something in return for that stuff. 

I feel Prompto is pretty fleshed out. Dude has a backstory, a love interest, makes opinions of almost anything, loves Chocobos. 

Noctis is the one I like the most. 

Another thing that annoys me is the clothes system. Which is literally none existent. I like having different outfits that add to your battle skills. Like instead of logos for the car I'd rather have new clothes, hats and sunglasses. Even Iris is dressed like in eternal mourning.

also this made me lmao https://twitter.com/...783614232072192

I'd like to know what you think was succesful Lurkette (and the not so good though that's more easy to see I think). If it happens to be a spoiler I won't read but will definitely come back to answer after I finish it. 

Even if I said all that, I am enjoying the game. I decided to ignore some side quests and probably finish them when I finish the game because if not it just gets frustrating, but my spirit is very ~finish all quests then we'll continue~ yet this game just beat me in that sense. The thing I'll have to get over -maybeee- is that they won't return to stuff like VII/VIII/IX's gameplay, and that the games are easier nowadays than before (I also think I might be way better these days than when I played those games as well, but comparing other type of games, like Tomb Raider's old and new, it does feel games are easier now). In regards to that though, I liked having my ass almost beat by some bees and monkeys when I tried going to that cave before chapter 6 ends, since I was some levels below them.  

Final Fantasy XIII-2/3 

I haven't played it and I know you guys like the game (I got too bitter with XIII to try and it was expensive as hell so it added to the wound, but I cared so little about almost all characters that I'm also a reluctant to buy it), my biggest annoyance with XIII was how bad the battle gameplay was, for my taste. I checked some gameplay videos of it but still not convinced, it feels similar but faster. I actually wanted to say the art director was Isamu Kamikokuryo and ended up talking about it. Guess I wanted to be convince it's worth a try but, it's probably not my style and shouldn't force it haha.

World of FF
What's your usual stack setup?

IA it doesn't add the word World in the title for nothing, old characters and monsters, it's nostalgic.

Final Fantasy XI Online /for PS3

I finally can have internet in my PS3, so I was wondering if it's worth a try, if anybody knows. I know it's an online game ofc, and that Fenrir looks badass but that's as far as I saw.

I think I might buy X and X2 and play them again but in the PS3. I finished both but I enjoyed their gameplay a lot.  

If it comes to it, which old FF would you like to have a remake, same gameplay and all but with the new generation graphics? I can't remember it correctly but I think VI had some good story and interesting characters. I love IX and VIII but I feel the graphics were good already? Like VII's remake is okay, but VIII and IX were kinda perfect in their style? I would probably be as enthusiastic if they got remakes since they are my faves though. I could use a VIII-2 as well, even if it's kinda perfect ending in it's own way. The one I haven't played is IV, has anybody played it? 

Ah I went full fan mode today. 

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#1024 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'd like to know what you think was succesful Lurkette (and the not so good though that's more easy to see I think). If it happens to be a spoiler I won't read but will definitely come back to answer after I finish it.

So most of the things I think were done really well were holdovers from what the game was originally supposed to be--Noctis being the prince of a kingdom that worships reapers and the concept of death. It appears as though pretty much all of the prime cut-scenes (of which there are not nearly enough) were done when that was still the general premise of the game, and they are absolutely stunning, even if they don't have quite the intended effect because they don't fall in line with where the story ended up going. But if you remember that that was the original idea, suddenly other things in the story and character design (the all black, all the time wardrobe) make a lot more sense than they do without that context.

Other good things:

-Monster design. They pulled out a lot of old school enemies, many of which have been forgotten in modern games, and they made them very realistic and often genuinely terrifying. A lot of monsters in FF tend to be largely stylized, which takes some of the fear out of the fact that they're monsters, so it was fun playing one where the monsters were actually capable of scaring me and, in some cases, being very deadly regardless of my level.

-Dungeons. Most (most, definitely not all) of the dungeons were designed really well for relative ease of navigating in and out, and they're all really interesting to look at. I was kind of bothered by the fact that most of the continent just looks like the US west coast, not particularly inspired or fantastical, so the dungeons help add a dimension of visual interest for the different locations. Also, they recorded specific dialogues just for each dungeon, so it helps break the monotony of "Hot one." "Yeah." every 5 minutes. Oh, and some of them are relatively hidden, so on the rare occasion you do come across one on your explorations, it feels fairly satisfying to find a sort of secret.

-Weapons. I would have liked a bit more diversity in the weapons, but the Royal Arms are all awesome, and I really liked that each weapon had very specific movements and limitations. It added strategy where it desperately needed some, since I can't go around using a katana or heavy sword for every enemy or just stand in the back and shoot.

-The end lol

Spoiler

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now, but that's what immediately comes to mind.

For World, Sylph and Ifrit's various developments, mostly Affrite, were mainstays for Reynn, and then with Lann I switched in and out depending on what new mirages I got and what I wanted to level up more. Behemonster is my XL mirage, always.

Because XI is an MMORPG, and because it's an older one, it might not be as fun because there aren't a whole lot of people playing anymore. You can still probably get through a lot of the game on your own, but it will be difficult and require a lot of grinding to get to a point where you can take on large bosses by yourself. So that's your call.

I've played IV, it's a lot of fun. It was the first time they tried a more in-depth story, and while it doesn't succeed in that 100%, it's still pretty good. And it's VIII's predecessor in that you get to go to the moon, so that's fun. I'd like to see all of them with full remakes, though, which is why I enjoyed Dissidia even though it was hard and crazy repetitive.

DDOhydd.gif

#1025 ☆RisaReinaSayu☆

☆RisaReinaSayu☆

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1748 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

#1026 cdean12343

cdean12343

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

FF7 is the best quality wise

#1027 Fall

Fall

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1745 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:57 AM

I find it mind-boggling that after all this time, the mobile versions of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions,  Final Fantasy I, and Final Fantasy II still haven't been ported to steam.  They've even managed to bring FF9 to mobile and PC in that time, and they had accidentally lost their source files for IX years ago.

I'd pay twice the mobile version's price just to have the convenience of FFT on my PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users