• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 AaronD12

AaronD12

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:01 AM

I just received a Philips HTS5500C DVD home theater system and wanted to share my experience with you, along with the fact that the DVD player can be made region-free VERY easily and is quite inexpensive.

This DVD player is actually a home entertainment center in a box. The DVD player is a 5-disc unit that plays all forms of recordable discs and pretty much any format you'd want to watch including DivX. The speakers are adequate for a small apartment or bedroom and includes a nice-sounding, powered subwoofer.

The DVD player can output composite video, S-video, or component video in interlaced or progressive scan -- great for HD-ready TVs. There are two audio-only inputs as well to use the DVD player as an amplifier. In addition, there is an AM/FM tuner. Prompts from the DVD player are shown on-screen as well, including amplifier volume.

In addition to standard DVD videos, it will play VCDs, SVCDs, discs comtaining DivX video files, MP3 music files, and JPG image file, and display Kodak PhotoCDs.

The best part is that you can make this player region-free so you can buy (hint!) and watch your favorite Hello! Project DVDs. To make the player region-free, power the DVD player on and open the tray. Now, from your remote control enter 99990. That's it! Pop in a Hello! Project DVD and close the tray!

Should you want to change your player back to a specific region, open the tray, and enter 9999X from your remote, where "X" is the region you want. (e.g., US = 1, Japan = 2, region-free = 0)

-Aaron-

#2 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

Call me さくら and yes, I am a girl

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:04 AM

I have a CyberHome CH-DVD 300, it's only supposed to be a Region 1, but....I know how to change it's region coding to 0 (or 2-6). It's as simple as making sure the player is on without a disc in the try, then pushing Menu, 1, 9 then setting the region to 0 then open the tray.

I love it, I can finally buy H!P dvd's *jumps around in joy* and it's a nice little dvd player for about $35 (component output too for EDTV)

Also, this has I guess the "standard" viewing abilities. I can watch VCD's, DVD's, Audio, MP3's, Kodak Photocd's (I think ones I burn as well >_> not sure though)

Berryz Koubou Fansite - Special Generation Forum (sadly this forum is gone but the link remains for posterity)
Listening to J-pop is like eating a can of Pringles "Once you Jpop you can't stop!"

#3 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

I have yet to get my own dvd player. All my dvd player would be the dvd-rom/rw or the ps2.

..and next, the car player would be the next dvd gadget.. x_x

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル
RI.DIU.SU,, RI.YU.SU,, RI.SA.I.KU.RU

p/s. AKB48 is Shmexy~ aRr~ >:] *ebil*

°-°Izu°-°

Amoz-senpai's Guide to Quoting/Editing
FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
updated: August 2007

#4 juicytwos

juicytwos

3rd gen member

• Uploader
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

I got an Insignia 7" IS-PD040992 portable DVD player during the after Thanksgiving sale at Best Buy. I tried it out on some DVD and it worked. When I tried one of the Best Shot DVDs, there was a region error...no suprise there.

Luckily there was a secret menu that changes the region to 0 or all-region that I found through the net. So simple!

I use it mainly as my TV output while I play games on my other TV. If I want to watch other region DVDs I use my japanese PS2.

#5 AaronD12

AaronD12

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

Luckily there was a secret menu that changes the region to 0 or all-region that I found through the net. So simple!

Share the code here so others can take advantage of it. :cool

I found a way to unlock my LG LST-3510A HD tuner/DVD player combo as well. This one's a little more involved. It requires making a CD with a special file on it.

http://homepage.mac....rond12/5000.zip

Extract the contents of this zip file. You should have a folder titled 5000. Inside is a folder titled RMTM0000. Inside is a folder titled Scarlet. Finally, inside that folder is a file kpjc19_1.dvd

Put these files on a standard ISO-9660 CD, using 5000 as the disc title and putting the folders and file on the CD. When you put the finished CD into the DVD player it comes up with a service menu that allows you to change the region to 0. :w00t!:

-Aaron-

#6 juicytwos

juicytwos

3rd gen member

• Uploader
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:40 PM

Umm...I guess. :lol:

Turn on the DVD player and leave the CD door open. On the remote control press the SETUP button. Press the right key on the remote 3 times, the preference page will show up, press 9653. Use the up and down key to select the Regionthen select 0 for all regions.
BAM! H!P concerts at your portable viewing pleasure!

#7 rnwc

rnwc

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

I have 4 DVD players (if you count the ones in the PC). The one I like the most is the cheap made in China, Chinese brand name I picked up. Why? Completely region free. Just pop in the DVD and press play. No messing around with menus and what not like with the other DVD players.

#8 cool_kickin_dude

cool_kickin_dude

Charmy Ishikawa's personal news reporter

• Banned
  • 1967 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

I bought me a dvd player a few weeks ago. It's a Philips, just wish I could make mine region-free. Wonder if there's a code to do it?
Go to the H!P fanfic and post please! Check out my fanfic blog as well!

#9 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:46 AM

go here? and enter your model for your Philips and if it's listed you can

Berryz Koubou Fansite - Special Generation Forum (sadly this forum is gone but the link remains for posterity)
Listening to J-pop is like eating a can of Pringles "Once you Jpop you can't stop!"

#10 RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMooch

• Senpai
  • 1350 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:05 AM

I have a CyberHome CH-DVD 300, it's only supposed to be a Region 1, but....I know how to change it's region coding to 0 (or 2-6). It's as simple as making sure the player is on without a disc in the try, then pushing Menu, 1, 9 then setting the region to 0 then open the tray.

I love it, I can finally buy H!P dvd's *jumps around in joy* and it's a nice little dvd player for about $35 (component output too for EDTV)

Also, this has I guess the "standard" viewing abilities. I can watch VCD's, DVD's, Audio, MP3's, Kodak Photocd's (I think ones I burn as well >_> not sure though)

I had that DVD player, and I loved it. Very simple, very easy to work with, and small enough to fit anywhere.

The only problem I had with it is that it was on region 2, and my uncle wanted to watch a region 1 DVD, so instead of doing the smart thing and calling me or waiting till I got home, he pressed a whole bunch of buttons... and now when I plug it in, it doesn't do anything and the screen in black.

But besides that, I love(d) it XD

#11 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:46 AM

I had that DVD player, and I loved it. Very simple, very easy to work with, and small enough to fit anywhere.

The only problem I had with it is that it was on region 2, and my uncle wanted to watch a region 1 DVD, so instead of doing the smart thing and calling me or waiting till I got home, he pressed a whole bunch of buttons... and now when I plug it in, it doesn't do anything and the screen in black.

:XD: oh my......too bad they don't have a system restore like a computer does XD;

#12 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:04 AM

:XD: oh my......too bad they don't have a system restore like a computer does XD;

I think it's more than just a 'system restore'. It must have caused some mechanical damage too. Sadly. Posted Image

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#13 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

I think it's more than just a 'system restore'. It must have caused some mechanical damage too. Sadly. Posted Image

Yeah....that's what happened to an Onkyo dvd player I used (I still have it though)....only.....it started to scratch the discs

#14 cool_kickin_dude

cool_kickin_dude

• Banned
  • 1967 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

well, I hacked into my player last night, till won't play my dvd's that I got a few months ago. Even though, they're scratched. XD

#15 miyu604

miyu604

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

Does it do any damage to hack my DVD player to make it region free?

#16 juicytwos

juicytwos

3rd gen member

• Uploader
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

Unless you are hacking it hardware-wise...chances are that no, you wont be harming it. In most cases, its just accessing a secret menu.

#17 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:02 AM

Unless you are hacking it hardware-wise...chances are that no, you wont be harming it. In most cases, its just accessing a secret menu.

Yeah....it's not like modding a PS2 or an Xbox. Though, I included a link earlier that takes you to a page where you can look up your dvd player to see if it has any way to change the regions

#18 juicytwos

juicytwos

3rd gen member

• Uploader
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

If you want, why don't you post the brand and model of your DVD player and we can look for you?

#19 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:32 AM

As long as you didn't handle it as quoted below..

..snip..
..snip..

Then, I guess it'll be fine.. XD :wink:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#20 cool_kickin_dude

cool_kickin_dude

• Banned
  • 1967 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:11 AM

i just figured something out. help me out guys, is there any way to play burned dvd's? I heard that if it's on .avi file, you can't play it. is that true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users