• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 XFER

XFER

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1249 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:27 AM

Not sure exactly where to post this, so here goes. The forum has been working wrong for quite a while. We can't see the new posts... I mean, we can, but only if we go into a thread that doesn't necessarily has the mark that it has new posts. This makes us guess where new posts might be, and it's a bit... annoying. We don't know when new posts are being made as we go in blind.

So, wondering if a fix is being worked on, or if this is the new normal.

MRkgm6i.png

#2 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:40 PM

We have someone looking into these issues, but there is a real likelihood that the issues can only be fixed by the site owner. If it comes down to whether or not the site owner will come back and be willing to fix everything, your guess is as good as mine. I have attempted to contact him, but I have not received a response.

In the meantime, all I can do is delete extra posts and do small things to try to make quality of life on the forum better, but unfortunately there I can't give a clear timeline on when or even if these issues will be fixed.
DDOhydd.gif

#3 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 01:34 AM

The forum is also broken in the sense that people can not register a new account, and also, many can't log into their existing account.

It would also be nice if we could change the rules so that more people could create topics. Given how rarely I post replies it's going to be years before I get permission to make a thread. I think the forum would be a lot more active/lively if more people could create threads.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just create a new website/forum and start over with a new version of IP Board?

#4 XFER

XFER

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1249 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 02:40 AM

Thank you Lurkette!! I'm just glad to be heard ♥

And I do agree with Kimono33, maybe start a new forum? I don't care where, maybe one of those free proboards forums. I bet if we inform everyone, most if not all, would go willingly to the new forum.

MRkgm6i.png

#5 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 04:27 AM

Another issue is that this site is horribly slow, and also buggy when posting/editing.

I have previous experience setting up forums, and also an IT background, so for me it would be quite easy to do. Biggest issue would be my current financial situation (broke) and my health. Once I get both of those things out of the way, I'd be happy to create and host a new forum for Hello Project and other JPOP fans.

I could try to reproduce the look and feel of this site as much as possible and improve it in other areas. I think the green theme is nice, and overall, I think IP Board is good as it has lots of great features like the Picboard etc. If we did create a new site, we'd likely need to ask the admin to provide a data-dump of all the Picboard images, not sure what else... I won't be able to "scrape" the Picboard data as that would take an extremely long time to do.

Are there any aspects to this forum that you'd like to see changed or improved? Perhaps it might be good to brain-storm some ideas.

#6 Sugaya Risako

Sugaya Risako

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2468 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 10:45 PM

Thank you Lurkette!! I'm just glad to be heard ♥

And I do agree with Kimono33, maybe start a new forum? I don't care where, maybe one of those free proboards forums. I bet if we inform everyone, most if not all, would go willingly to the new forum.

I know I would ^_^

<p><p>Morning musume, amo vocês !!!!!! Mizukitty,obrigada por tudo, sentirei saudades!

#7 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 03:10 AM

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I would love to see a section, or dedicated thread for "Morning Musume Gen 1-8 (Pre-2011)", in other words, from the first gen, to Linlin, Junjun, Aika. Morning Musume was a completely different group prior to 2011 (probably because Tsunku was still involved at that time). Post 2011 we start to see major changes.

#8 Doraleous

Doraleous

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:04 AM

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, Kimono-wearing Mister, but, working or not, this place is always half-dead (don't get me wrong, I love the forums tho).

People have abandoned the places with this kind of format largely in favour of twitter and whatnot, so if you start a new project in this same Internet Forum manner, I honestly doubt you'll be able to get any traction going. This goes for all the other Idol discussion forums I know as well, it's always the same faces showing up and posting. And to get all of these few faces to move to a new place AND have new people to show up, it goes beyond any technical skills, you'd need some heavy clout and campaigning to achieve that.

(Oh, not to mention the useless Lurkers like me make the place look even more lifeless)

Kenshuusei is where it's at, debut these stars in the making already.

#9 chisafan

chisafan

Chiitan's Spaghetti Chef

• Senpai
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:42 AM

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, Kimono-wearing Mister, but, working or not, this place is always half-dead (don't get me wrong, I love the forums tho).

People have abandoned the places with this kind of format largely in favour of twitter and whatnot, so if you start a new project in this same Internet Forum manner, I honestly doubt you'll be able to get any traction going. This goes for all the other Idol discussion forums I know as well, it's always the same faces showing up and posting. And to get all of these few faces to move to a new place AND have new people to show up, it goes beyond any technical skills, you'd need some heavy clout and campaigning to achieve that.

(Oh, not to mention the useless Lurkers like me make the place look even more lifeless)

Hmmm... the truth hurts, don't it  ^_^

What is the idol scene like on Twitter, Insta and FB these days?

If making a new board make sure the text resizes to a slimmer browser window, please. Here, if you make your window into a column the text gets cut off on the sides. Maybe the full width is readable if you have a curved monitor? Dunno.

#10 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 01:08 AM

People have abandoned the places with this kind of format largely in favour of twitter and whatnot, so if you start a new project in this same Internet Forum manner, I honestly doubt you'll be able to get any traction going. 

I agree with what you said about difficulty getting traction, but I don't think that Twitter is that great. I personally don't use twitter, and I can't imagine having the types of discussions that we have (or could have) here, on Twitter/Insta/FB...

#11 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:00 AM

What do you think about the layout? Is it missing anything? Anything to improve? Any mistakes?

What other parent companies or JPop groups are popular enough to have their own Heading or Section?

#12 Casidesia

Casidesia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:10 AM

The most logical thing would be to move to an already existing site like H!O, but I really like the layout here in comparison.
I like forums better than places like Twitter or discord because I like getting my news here, and having dedicated threads help that.
I just want H!O working
Lurkette, do you know if the owner would consider selling the site? I know it's hosted locally, but there is much that could be done to remedy that.

MM: Ayumi, Maria, Rio |||| A: RikakoAyanoWakana |||| JJ: RuruAkariRiai

TF: Mao, Marine, Mizuho |||| BYO~: Minami, Kurumi, Kokoro |||| ON: KanamiMomo, Kirara

HPKU:  Yulia, Karin, Ayana |||  HPK: Niina

#13 Doraleous

Doraleous

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 01:41 PM

I actually like the individual threads for members, I only check the threads for members I'm into and skip right over the ones I'm not interested in. If it was only one thread for the whole group, I'd be forced to sift through the posts to get to content about members I like.

The only thing that clutters it, IMO, is the fact that they leave the threads for past members in the same place, it'd really help to move the threads of graduated members into a sub-forum since:

A)There is much less to talk about them since most of them are not active Idols anymore

B)There is much less discussion there because there are a lot less people interested in them (I couldn't care less what Takahashi Ai is doing these days, no hate though, you're a legend, girl)

Kenshuusei is where it's at, debut these stars in the making already.

#14 Lurkette

Lurkette

マシュマロの心

• Headquarters
  • 3939 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 03:01 PM

^ I would be open to the idea of creating new sub-forums for former members. Personally, I think there should be one in each section so that ex-MM members can be found through the MM section, but I'm open to additional suggestions.

I just want H!O working
Lurkette, do you know if the owner would consider selling the site? I know it's hosted locally, but there is much that could be done to remedy that.

That would first require him to actually be reachable. I've sent him several emails over the last few months and he only ever responded to one of them, the first one.

That said, he has not been open to selling in the past. When he shut down the tracker, there were numerous offers to take over the site so that he wouldn't have to worry about it, but he still refused. He seems less invested now than ever before so I can't rule out his willingness to sell, but I can't tell you one way or the other if I still can't get in contact with him.
DDOhydd.gif

#15 XFER

XFER

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1249 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:42 PM

One thing I don't want changed at all, is the fact that every single member gets her active thread. Saying Zukki, some day she decides to release a single, and it would be a chaos to have to wade through pages and pages just to find her info. I love that the forums are divided into groups, and in every one you have individual threads for all members, past and present. That's something I don't want to give up.

MRkgm6i.png

#16 TVD

TVD

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 5479 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 10:10 PM

FYI, alternatives are avaliable: https://www.jplop.co...wforum.php?f=16

#17 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 01:47 AM

I actually like the individual threads for members, I only check the threads for members I'm into and skip right over the ones I'm not interested in. If it was only one thread for the whole group, I'd be forced to sift through the posts to get to content about members I like.

One thing I don't want changed at all, is the fact that every single member gets her active thread. Saying Zukki, some day she decides to release a single, and it would be a chaos to have to wade through pages and pages just to find her info. I love that the forums are divided into groups, and in every one you have individual threads for all members, past and present. That's something I don't want to give up.

In that case, it's no problem.

I will keep you guys updated!

#18 Shinji

Shinji

7th gen member

• Senpai
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:34 AM

I don't think a new forum is needed. There's already several options besides H!O if technical or design issues here are too much of a problem.

Each of these fora has it's own vibe and I'm sure you would find one that suits you.

This being said, I sure hope H!O's owner willl get in touch with Lurkette and that some of the problems will be solved.

#19 Kimono33

Kimono33

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 02:27 PM

(Please Delete)

#20 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:04 PM

Respectfully, we don't need a new forum. The reason a large majority of users left H!O was because there were too many issues with the site, and it continues to this day with no indication of the sites owner giving a shit about H!O or even H!P, so it's understandable that we all seldom click back to this forum. And while it would be great to have a new forum that fixes all of our issues, H!O has decades of content, events, and community here and it will be extremely hard to replicate that on another forum in this era of fandom. 

If the owner of the site could do the bare minimum of allowing the admins authorisation to fix these bugs, a lot of people would come back. If they decided to give the full administration rights to someone trustworthy and happy to take on the burden (and there have been a LOT of respectable people in this fandom who could be that person, Lurkette here being one of them), I'm certain a large number of people who left H!O for twitter or discord would happily come back here. 

We just the person who owns the site to give a damn about it.

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users