• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Sypnosis from Wikipedia: Attack on Titan (Japanese: 進撃の巨人 Hepburn: Shingeki no Kyojin, lit. "Attacking Titan") is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. The series began in Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine on September 9, 2009, and has been collected into 21 tankōbon volumes as of December 2016. It is set in a world where humanity lives in cities surrounded by enormous walls; a defense against the Titans, gigantic humanoids that eat humans seemingly without reason. The story initially centers on Eren Yeager, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman and childhood friend Armin Arlert, who join the military to fight the Titans after their home town is invaded and Eren's mother is eaten. However, as the story progresses and the truths about the Titans are slowly revealed to the reader, the narrative shifts to encompass Historia Reiss, squad leader Levi, Eren's father Grisha, and other supporting characters.

Season 2 just started a while ago and as someone who hasn't read the manga I'm quite shook after each episode. (I don't want to read the manga until the anime is airing because I enjoy being shooketh)

The newest episode (031 - Warrior) really came as a surprise for me.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED IT!

I would have never guess Reiner and Berthold are the Armored Titan and the Colossal Titan respectively. Now that I watch the ending I realize the 3 children that are eating human organs surrounded by some kind of priests are probably Annie, Reiner and Berthold. 

I wonder what their "hometown" as they mention is.

And where the heck did the beast titan disappear after crossing the wall and who was he???

So many questions for only 20min episodes.

#2 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

so i'm guessing this thread is for the anime only?

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#3 MaKrena

MaKrena

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

I can't understand how people still don't read the manga XD when the first episode of the first season aired, i literally flew to read the rest of the manga lol

I haven't watched episodes 5 and 6 yet, i will edit when i watch them.

#4 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:24 PM

^rather than people still not reading the manga, i'm surprised that anyone who is watching SNK did not get spoiled on who the colossal and armored titans were before it was revealed on saturday. I remember watching the first season, and when the manga announced who the CT and AT were, someone immediately spoiled it for me on tumblr so i just went " f*ck it :'))))))))))" and started reading the manga lmao 

i'm up to date on both the anime and manga, but i just have to say how impressed i was with the animation of episode 5 and 6.

favorite part was (manga spoilers)

Spoiler

#5 Ohasumi

Ohasumi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1252 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

I suggest this thread to be anime only! I guess we can put manga spoilers into a spoiler tag, but anime spoilers don't have to be. Let's just assume everyone coming to this thread is up to date with the anime.

BUT OMG dude, episode 6 was crazy. I didn't expect Reiner and Berthold to be Titans. I was browsing reddit yesterday and I didn't realize this before, but here's a screencap from episode 5. That subtle foreshadowing. Spoilering because image is large. Not a manga spoiler. I haven't read the manga. XD

Spoiler

But episode 6 definitely caught me off guard. So many reveals. But how they revealed Berthold and Reiner was executed amazingly. I've never read the manga so I don't know how the reveal was done. But they had a lot of freedom to do it in animation. It happened reeeally quickly, but just before Reiner and Berthold revealed, before we see that lightning strike the wall (which looked the same as episode 1 of season 1), you can briefly see their faces turn into the manga-version of the colossal and armored titans. Masterfully executed. And the soundtrack didn't disappoint, that scene was all on point! See gif below.

giphy.gif

Past this point, I have my speculations. There's a couple of storylines going on at the same time, but I wanted to discuss my thoughts on why there was no hole in the wall yet there were titans inside. Back in Connie's village, there weren't any bodies or blood right? But the houses were still destroyed. Only conclusion I can come up with is that all those people turned into titans (hence what looked like Connie's mom on top of his house). And those titans are the ones who attacked Christa, Ymir, and the people in the castle. Or just that those titans came from other villages near the castle. So what if that big gorilla titan could turn normal people into titans??? I bet he's originally human, slipped inside the wall and started visiting villages and turning those people to titans. Honestly, all that makes sense to me. If that's not what it was then idk what's going on. xDD

Reiner and Berthold's motivations don't make any sense though. Apparently they want to drive humans to extinction. But if humans were extinct, what would the titans do? Like that part doesn't make sense at all.

#6 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

^It's really hard to answer any of those questions without spoiling it for you. but you're pretty much on the mark about connies village and where the titans came from. the anime kinda confirms it with sasha's scene when the titan was small enough to be inside the house as he was eating the child's mother, and when the titan on connie's home said "welcome back" to connie. note that during that same scene, they made a huge emphasis on connies eyes and the titans eyes, which were exactly the same. 

17883068_1903125883262219_25575563106944 tumblr_mpfmstGmfw1snx977o1_500.jpg

as for the reiner and berty reveal, when you look back on the first few episodes/chapters, you can see that there were many hints pointing to them being those titans. the biggest one being back when the 104th were having dinner and talking about the shiganshina district being destroyed, and eren said he saw both the armored and colossal titan. when the trainee's got excited and asked him what they looked like, the panel (in both manga and anime) pans to reiner and berty eating in the distance lol. 

#7 Ohasumi

Ohasumi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1252 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:25 AM

^Oh shoot they did with the eyes! I didn't realize that. I thought it was just Connie staring at the titan's eyes but there was an underlying meaning to that. That's interesting. But yeah, knowing the author, most of the hints he gives are so misleading sometimes. Like I thought for sure Christa was the titan because she went missing during that snow expedition/training they did. Also because the priest said they were keeping their eyes on her and this was the priest who knew about the titan in the walls. But then it turned out to be Ymir. Truth be told, I don't remember Ymir much in the first season to be honest. I'll probably rewatch the first season at some point. Like that part with Annie looking at her palm and Reiner escaping from her grip --- I didn't notice that at all. It just looked like she was shocked Reiner escaped from her grip but noooo, there was an underlying meaning to that as well!

Sometimes I wonder how far the author had planned all this.

#8 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

Yeah there are so many underlying meanings to the most simplest things. It's actually shocking how far back those moments go. Honestly, Ymir isn't a main character so you won't see much of her after this season tbh. I'm excited for the next few episodes though, especially Mikasa's character development. Look forward to see that titan again, but not for what comes after it :~;

I wonder what their "hometown" as they mention is.

And where the heck did the beast titan disappear after crossing the wall and who was he???

ohohoho, just you wait lol, when it's all revealed it's gonna be one huge "wtf". 

Even though i read the manga, i'm really enjoying this season as if i was a anime-only watcher lol

#9 triquelme483

triquelme483

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

We can talk about the manga here? 

Because i don't wanna make spoiler for some people :( 

#10 Aeria

Aeria

The Vagabond Dreamer

• Senpai
  • 1535 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:23 AM

I wouldn't mind talking about the manga here, since it's way far ahead of the main series. I'm caught up on the manga, but have yet to see the second season yet. 

Manga spoilers, but something I want opinions on:

Spoiler

#11 Ohasumi

Ohasumi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1252 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:26 AM

Yeah you can definitely talk about the manga, BUT for anime watchers' sake (like me), please keep them on spoiler tags. XD I've tried really hard the past couple of years not to expose myself to manga spoilers. I trust you fam. ;~;

#12 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

Yeah putting manga spoilers inside a spoiler tag should be fine, that way it's not our fault if anime-only watchers couldn't bare to click on the tag ^^;

Manga spoilers, but something I want opinions on:

Spoiler
Spoiler

what i'm more interested in is (manga spoilers)

Spoiler

#13 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

I think it was pretty obvious the titan in the house was Connie's mother. I wonder why humans started becoming Titans.

Also is there a particular reason there are dinosaurs in the opening? Seems really weird lol.

But I'm obsessed with the season 2 ending, very mysterious and fitting song I cant wait for the soundtrack.

#14 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

Haha yea I was wondering what was up with the whales and elephants etc. too  ^^; 

I assume you don't read the manga but the S2 ending kinda tells you about the lore about the titans and not just random gorey imagery. 

Also, iirc, it's going to be a (long) while before they find the reason why humans turn into titans...

Mafia Musume/Morning Mafioso

mafia_musume_banner_by_supermariabros-d5

Deviantart . Pixiv . Tumblr

H!P Comics

#15 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

the opening is really pretty weird, nothing in the manga explains why they had dinosaurs and stuff at the end of it so i'm going to assume they just did that to symbolize the titans being like animals.. i can't really think of any other explanation. and yeah the ending is spoilery af, im shocked that they even did such a thing so early on. if you want to know about the start of titans you just need to look at the ending.... kinda hoping season 3 is 24 episodes since the arc after clash of the titans (this one) is really long. 

edit; okay so i have nothing better to do, and since i'm so interested in snk i decided to look more into the ending of the opening where all the animals are running...

my conclusion is pretty much a spoiler so..... :/

(heavy manga spoilers and theories about the titans)

Spoiler

#16 Aeria

Aeria

The Vagabond Dreamer

• Senpai
  • 1535 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

^

Spoiler

#17 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Btw did anyone catch the Hitler Titan in EP030

Attached File  cats.jpg   168.13K   2 downloads

I giggled so hard

#18 Ohasumi

Ohasumi

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1252 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

^lol never caught that. That's pretty funny. XD

Was watching episode 6 reaction videos on youtube and this man had the best one. Just his excitement and denial throughout the entire thing was golden. If y'all have time (or like reaction videos), watch it from beginning to end. He makes little comments here and there that makes you go "I'm so sorry dude" because he's gonna get so shocked he turns from drunk to sober.

https://drive.google...mFCbUwxaFk/view

#19 Laharle

Laharle

ラブ・ミー・チェーン

• Senpai
  • 4437 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

I'm up to date with the manga

Spoiler

Acckk the good animation is making me want to watch the 2nd season. I got hooked with the first season and then went to the manga. At the same time I barely remember some stuff so.

竹内朱莉 小田さくら

#20 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

^

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic