• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GabiUsagi

GabiUsagi

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

I live in Poland. We celebrate here Easter and 3 days before (so called Triduum). The most popular tradition here is making paintings on eggs. On Saturday we go to church with a basket with food, then a priest blesses it (the food). On Sunday morning we have a special breakfast including "blessed" food. But first we share eggs with each other. We also celebrate on Monday, I guess it's the most playful holiday. We have a tradition of spilling water on each other (something like ice bucket challenge XD). How about your country?

#2 Fluffis

Fluffis

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2108 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

^Interesting to see your egg painting going strong! 

Not sure what happens tonight for most families, but we and others celebrate mostly tomorrow. Easter buffet with traditional Swedish disgusting sour fish, lots of eggs, meatballs, sausages, shrimps, potatoes mix with more nasty fish and more. The mandatory drink (if not alcohol) would be the limited soda we have. That one exists on Christmas and Easter. It is the same soda just appearing twice on those two holidays.
Funny really, Coca-Cola are always investing so much during x-mas, trying to market their coke over our drink. They fail every year and I assume they are quite irritated about it! So yes lots of Easter soda for me tomorrow and I will have some tonight too. After the buffet our family organized an evening bonfire with lots of family friends and neighbors. *drinking commences* Once dark we light some fireworks and once the fire is over some leave and some return to our house for coffee/tea/snacks/candy/soda/more alcohol. The last people usually leave between 1AM and 4AM. 

Older traditions no longer as common is for kids to dress up as a witch and walk around begging for candy. (I did this as a young child lol!) This happens a few days before Saturday, but I can't remember when. Painting eggs is more common but eating a lot of them is more standard. Some religious people might have church events but like most Swedes they live fairly secular, even if they identify as Christian. So while dedicated ones might have church events (I assume that they do), it would be very few attending and I hardly even know what they do. Gussing the wine and bread would happen and relevant Bible texts too. 

#3 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

I don't, because I'm not a Christian.

And where I live (Norway), I don't think many people celebrate Easter. It's mostly viewed as a generic holiday/vacation period, where people either go skiing in the mountains or just relax at home or their cabin if they have one. Mostly activities like this.

Average annual church attendance in Norway is around 2% - 5%, so Easter like any other time of the year will only have a select few interested in going to church/partaking in religious aspects.

#4 taylorniw

taylorniw

no

• Senpai
  • 5495 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:34 PM

By rejoicing that I have a day off lol. My bosses are Jehovah Witnesses but still close for all the big holidays thank goodness. My dad was raised Catholic in a southern state but never took me to church, baptized me or anything. My moms family isn't religious either so I've never really celebrated any holiday super crazy. I do Christmas because gifts and Thanksgiving because my family insists.

Also I'm too old for Easter egg hunting and Valentine's has way better candy.

#5 ShiningLight445

ShiningLight445

Amateur Family Historian

• Senpai
  • 2247 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:57 PM

I don't usually color eggs anymore. It was super fun as a kid, but as I'm going to be 22 the fun is lost. lol we might still use those kits and dye them though.

My family doesn't go to the early sunrise service (too early for me, the one isn't the morning person XD ). But my church does a morning breakfast and then church starts at normal time at 9am.  Afterward my family goes home and we prepare a big dinner at 2pm. It's crazy because other family is over and we have to set up more tables and chairs and prepare and pick up food. But when the aunts, uncles, and cousins come over it's a great time :) In the background we usually have old Easter movies on tv. And at some point my younger cousin (Who is 6) hunts for eggs outside. This year though, will have to be inside. It will rain on Sunday. When my goddaughter will be old enough she will hunt for eggs too. So many more years of that ^_^

Then there's candy, too. And cards are handed out.

Now that I'm a college student, though, I wish I could just sit and home and do homework XD I got a lot to do this weekend anyway.

" ’15 has become a completely new Morning Musume。, but I want to treat the history that has been handed down to us preciously.  If there was a book about Morning Musume。’s history, I think I would be happy to see my name left there."

~Oda Sakura

"Masaki loves all music made by Tsunku-san. Every single note and word stabs me right in my soul! I mean it in a good way!" (translated by Ronin - thanks!)

~Sato Masaki

#6 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

We also have the tradition of colouring eggs here :lol: We hide them in our garden (or, with bad weather, in the house) and the youngest in the family can look for them (usually there's also a lot of chocolate eggs lol). Traditionally on Saturday there's a church service and after that we burn some Easter Fires. If you have a hill you can also let some Easter Wheels roll down :lol:

The best part however is the cake in the shape of a lamb :lol:

Since I'm not religious anymore that's more or less the only thing I'm doing for Easter - eating cake :lol:

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#7 Guest_StellaFleure_*

Guest_StellaFleure_*
  • Guests (Not logged in)

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

As a child we always painted eggs and we made something in art classes at primary/elementary school. But nowadays it's just "hooray, finally a few days off" for me as a working adult... and chocolate ^^;.

#8 ShiningLight445

ShiningLight445

Amateur Family Historian

• Senpai
  • 2247 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:39 AM

GabiUsagi, what food is usually put in the basket?  I'm curious ^_^ I don't know much of tradition in other countries either (I'm American lol)

" ’15 has become a completely new Morning Musume。, but I want to treat the history that has been handed down to us preciously.  If there was a book about Morning Musume。’s history, I think I would be happy to see my name left there."

~Oda Sakura

"Masaki loves all music made by Tsunku-san. Every single note and word stabs me right in my soul! I mean it in a good way!" (translated by Ronin - thanks!)

~Sato Masaki

#9 RenaiDestiny。

RenaiDestiny。

♥ Gorilla-kun ♥

• Senpai
  • 3347 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:10 AM

All my family does is eat a huge dinner lol. We used to do easter hunts and baskets and stuff, but all of the youngest are 15-21 now.

2DCV7Kc.jpg

#10 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

I'm not really religious but I try to partake in Lent just as a form of discipline and I gave up fast food + trying to be more patient. So I'm going to be celebrating with something from McDonalds but I've honestly had no cravings for fast food at all so I'm probably going to try to keep going.

I might get dragged to church, and when I was younger I'd have easter egg hunts but that was basically it. It wasn't an occasion that was worth seeing my extended family.

MizukiRina

Twitter

#11 bloop7676

bloop7676

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

At home we just have a bigger dinner, usually with a turkey (they always become available around the big holidays lol).  My brother's in-laws do an easter egg hunt at their church for the kids though  ^-^

#12 GabiUsagi

GabiUsagi

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

GabiUsagi, what food is usually put in the basket?  I'm curious ^_^ I don't know much of tradition in other countries either (I'm American lol)

Eggs, Sausage, Ham, Salt, Bread ect and a figure of sheep (made of cake or sugar) + kids take some sweets like choco bunny or choco eggs.

#13 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

I'm not religious but most of my family are so i'm "required" to celebrate with them. Not that i mind, free chocolate.

Starts off on Good Friday, nothing really happens during this time (i call it the mourning stage lol), most of my family will go to church and the old people will watch the same movie about jesus dying for our sins that they have been watching for yyearrrssss.. i spend this time watching anime lololol until 7pm where my family show up, they eat a shit ton of food and drink a lot, then we play games and knock out one by one, like a lowkey party. Saturday is the "rest" day, so we don't do anything. Sunday we have a huge breakfast, then the little ones go easter egg hunting (which i unfortunately have to chaperone this year) while the adults prepare for "part two" of the weekend. By night time it's basically a party until everyone knocks out again. Monday is bank holiday so we do the usual thing british people do on bank holiday lol.

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#14 Fluffis

Fluffis

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2108 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Not that i mind, free chocolate.

Now that is something I can easily get behind! Good for you!  :lol:

#15 Flaneganb

Flaneganb

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Used to when my dad being over religious... Since I'm on my own pathway now.. No one in the family force anyone anymore.

I have complicated family history.. haha
Parents come from different background and believe thus I grew up in a very multi-cultural-religion family in 1 home.

#16 GabiUsagi

GabiUsagi

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

^^ Free chocolate, you say. I've just eaten some Milka Loffel Ei (choco eggs with very sweet filling by Milka) and I feel like I've had enough of sweets. It was delicious, though.

#17 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 4427 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

^^ Free chocolate, you say. I've just eaten some Milka Loffel Ei (choco eggs with very sweet filling by Milka) and I feel like I've had enough of sweets. It was delicious, though.

im the oldest of the younger members of my family, and the kids always get free chocolate so it's a plus for me ^^; 

tumblr_lygzzoSBD21r56dlh.gif
  tanimoto ami • ise layla • sato masaki  ❤ 

#18 ShiningLight445

ShiningLight445

Amateur Family Historian

• Senpai
  • 2247 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

Eggs, Sausage, Ham, Salt, Bread ect and a figure of sheep (made of cake or sugar) + kids take some sweets like choco bunny or choco eggs.

Sounds good ^_^

~Oda Sakura

~Sato Masaki

#19 Zabieru

Zabieru

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:28 AM

Well, every year's a little different. Didn't do much this time, just went and had dinner with my family. I used to go to church with my family as well but not so much anymore.

2NsEwYR.png

#20 sheikhyerbutay

sheikhyerbutay

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

In my childhood, we would color Easter eggs with edible food dyes.  Next came painting decorations on them.  Later, you could buy decals to stick to them.  Easter Egg Hunts were always fun!!  We would eat the eggs at our leisure afterwards.   Sometimes, we would have so many they might last a week before we ate them all.    Any eggs not found would start to smell after a while.  Usually these were found, and eaten by our dogs.  (They loved Easter Egg Hunts, too!)

On Easter Sunday Mornings everyone would wear their "Sunday Best" clothes to Church.  White was the color of choice to show the purity of Christ's Resurrection washing our sins away "White as snow".   I will never forget my brother could not find his dress shoes, so he had to wear his old, brown, hiking/camping boots with his black slacks, white shirt, black tie, and white blazer, all starched and pressed.  Were my folks ever iterated at him!

Easter Lilly flowers adorned the front of the Sanctuary.   The Easter message from the pulpit was about Christ's Resurrection.  Redemption from our sins.  Renewal of our souls.

Fast forward to today:  My wife and granddaughter started working on plastic Easter Eggs two weeks ago.  They put marshmellows and chocolates into the eggs.  I smiled to myself.  I knew the marshmellows would be hard by the time the kids opened them.  We all had a good laugh about that.   Yesterday I wanted to go to church, but slept in.  The night before, I had just come in off the road from a long, very tough, project and was exhausted (still am).  We had an Easter Sunday dinner at my daughter's house.  Her husband cooked a delicious ham with pineapples and kiwi fruit.  Asparagus with tiny tomatoes, garlic, and scallions cooked in olive oil.   Potato salad.  Deviled eggs made by my wife and I.  Chocolates for dessert!  Then we lounged in the front room while the kids played.  I shared some old photos of my family from about a hundred years ago, so the newer generations would remember our past.  We shared stories of how things were back in the old days before the modern era.   Told some funny stories were shared............... and then I could not stay awake.  My wife took me home and I slept for the rest of the day.     I am still re-couping from one of the hardest, most dangerous, multi-story projects I have ever done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users