• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

NB- As for what the theme proper of "The Wizard of Oz" is, I'll go with "Over the Rainbow" because it was used in the closing credits. Moreover, I know that "White Christmas" was used in a 1942 film called "Holiday Inn", which I have seen, but it was the theme of the 1954 movie that had the same name as the song.

My subjective feelings and limited knowledge give me this ranking, from #10 to #1, with links:

10. The Third Man (1949) "The Third Man" theme

9. A Summer Place (1959) "A Summer Place" theme

8. Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) "Bridge on the River Kwai" theme

7. Dr. No (1962) "Dr. No" theme

6. Psycho (1960) "Psycho" theme

5. Chariots of Fire (1981) "Chariots of Fire" theme

4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" theme

3. Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) "Breakfast at Tiffany's" theme

2. White Christmas (1954) "White Christmas" theme

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939) "The Wizard of Oz" theme

Of course, I had to leave off some great ones. What are your favorites?
"It is now generally conceded that the pumpkin, as a shade tree, is a failure." - Mark Twain

#2 Glasseyelashes

Glasseyelashes

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 10775 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

someone really awesome linked me to this page. ;)

i've never really given themes much thought. i mean, i do have a few on my ipod, but they're not main themes. probably my all-time favorites are LOTR and memoirs of a geisha. i've never seen the movie, but the theme from black hawk down is really good too.

#3 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

someone really awesome linked me to this page. ;)

i've never really given themes much thought. i mean, i do have a few on my ipod, but they're not main themes. probably my all-time favorites are LOTR and memoirs of a geisha. i've never seen the movie, but the theme from black hawk down is really good too.

Spoiler

I'll give those a listen to broaden my horizons.
"It is now generally conceded that the pumpkin, as a shade tree, is a failure." - Mark Twain

#4 kantutanTayo14

kantutanTayo14

12th gen member

• Banned
  • 7540 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

THE Best Movie Theme EVER

#5 Lawrence

Lawrence

Genki ni, KOHA =D

• Senpai
  • 2128 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

agreed with Jurassic park lol XD

also love "Hello Zepp" from Saw and pretty much anything Hanz Zimmer composes *nods*

#6 ~asianqueen~

~asianqueen~

AI~ddicted & KAME~cted

• Senpai
  • 1915 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

How can anyone forget John William's Imperial March?!
I don't even need top say the title of the movie and whose theme it is, 'cause it's just THAT EPIC.

I remember playing this in concert.
oh gosh the flute double tonguing staring at 1:11 KILLED my section and I. We ended up alternating the bars in order to pull it off HAHHA
~My Guardian Angle; Not Angel~ @ ~My fanfic thread!!!~
Posted Image
+lovely sig made by SNIPER and uber cute avie by kawaii beam!+

#7 Tim

Tim

:D:D:D

• Senpai
  • 972 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

My favourite Movie soundtracks would have to be.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Harry Potter.
  • Lord of the Rings.
  • Disney movies. Like Mulan and Lion King.
That's probably all. I really like songs that are similar to songs that two steps from hell play. Epic music.

But I much prefer video game soundtracks over movie soundtracks.

#8 Eeyore

Eeyore

Friend of Pooh. For what it's worth.

• Senpai
  • 2161 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

My #10 to #1... just off the top of my head... with links:

10 - Star Trek: Insurrection - the Ba'Ku Village theme
9 - Black Hole
8 - Life of Brian
7 - Dune
6 - Blade Runner
5 - FLASH! AAAAaah! Saviour of the Universe!!! (Flash Gordon)
4 - Dances With Wolves
3 - Last of the Mohicans
2 - Schindler's List
1 - Gladiator (The Battle theme)
0 - Duel of the Fates (from SW:TPM)

I'm not sure that these really are my top 10 (or 11)... I've left soooo many off: ET, Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon (Barber's Adagio for Strings), many of the Spaghetti Westerns, Magnificent Seven, How the West was Won...
Just soooooo many.
Star Wars and LOTR are just too obvious to really mention.

Most of Simpson & Bruckheimer movies have good themes: The Rock, Crimson Tide, Top Gun etc.
And Black Hawk Down has a great soundtrack.
So I've tried to pick less obvious ones that I like... although I think #4 to #0 are my faves... and they're not exactly less obvious.
:)
DISCLAIMER: Please bear in mind that with regard TakaH!Otty... I am biased. Very biased indeed (although I personally think it's not bias but merely a matter of quality). So please take anything I write with regard to her near limitless ability, talent, looks, appeal, charm, perfection, blah blah, with a pinch of salt the size of the moon. If you take it too seriously, I can not be held accountable for your over-reaction. ;)

#9 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

^ I'm glad to see you went to the same obsessive-compulsive thorough lengths that I did. I'll give those a listen.

@asianqueen: I thought of the Imperial March, of course, but it isn't the theme proper of Star Wars. It's better than the theme, just as some other parts of The Godfather's soundtrack are better than its theme.

Also, if television show themes are included, my top 3 (from #3 to #1) would be these:

3. "Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995-2001) theme

2. "Mannix" (1967-1975) theme

1. "Peter Gunn" (1958-1961) theme

#10 Eeyore

Eeyore

• Senpai
  • 2161 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

Best TV themes...

Chi Mai - Ennio Morricone (Life and Times of David Lloyd George)
Requiem for a Soldier - Bruce Anderson (Band of Brothers)
Paint it Black - Rolling Stones (Tour of Duty)
Le Parc - Tangerine Dream (Street Hawk)
Battle of the Planets (European version of Gatchaman)

But then there are many many more that are classics as well:
A-Team, Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica, Minder, Thundercats and soooo many more.
DISCLAIMER: Please bear in mind that with regard TakaH!Otty... I am biased. Very biased indeed (although I personally think it's not bias but merely a matter of quality). So please take anything I write with regard to her near limitless ability, talent, looks, appeal, charm, perfection, blah blah, with a pinch of salt the size of the moon. If you take it too seriously, I can not be held accountable for your over-reaction. ;)

#11 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

^ You have a vast knowledge of movies and television shows I've never even heard of.

#12 Eeyore

Eeyore

• Senpai
  • 2161 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

I would say the variety comes with age... but I also have a very good memory for music - far more so than for words.
Which I think is one reason I'm comfortable in liking music like Momusu, despite not knowing a word of the language... 'cos the words just come across as tonal-music rather than lyrics.
I actually only know the lyrics to very few songs in English.

But the music... if it's good I'll listen to it... and if it's catchy I'll undoubtedly remember it.
And Tsunku knows how to write damn catchy music!! :D

And over the past *cough* too many *cough* years I've heard my fair share of TV and movie theme songs.
And there have been quite a few that I can recall quite easily.

The BIG question is, though, whether you think my choices are actually good... are they theme tunes / music that make you go "Oh... wow! Good music!" or do they make you go "meh!" :)

#13 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

^ Well, your favorites, with the exception of "Paint It Black", seem to be epic in a sweeping, understated sort of way, a bit like Impressionist music (e.g. Debussy's "La Mer"), with a view more to the musical piece in and of itself than a view of themes as merely accompaniment to their movies and shows, which is how I tend to view them. I tend to prefer more driving energy and I also like the specific vocals and/or instrumentation to match the subject matter of the film or television show, plus I usually think the very best themes are vocal, with the lyrical content being clearly expressed, while you, as you note, prefer instrumentals or vocals as instrumental in substance, delivered for their sound, not their meaning.

I wouldn't venture to say which lists are "better". It is a reflection of personality and upbringing, no doubt, and if your preference is for Impressionism, mine is more for a programmatic and hence Romantic (in the artistic sense) approach, more like Richard Wagner and the like. The two ways of looking at music are equally valid.

#14 kantutanTayo14

kantutanTayo14

12th gen member

• Banned
  • 7540 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

#15 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

^ Excellent theme! This thread wouldn't be complete without it. I'd heard the song, of course, but I didn't know it was a movie theme.

#16 Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

Mononofu 4 Life

• Senpai
  • 2108 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Only Time- Enya

From the movie Sweet November; very inspiring and relaxing song

Posted Image

Signature made by MayaChanShiDae

#17 Glasseyelashes

Glasseyelashes

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 10775 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

ahh, anything from enya is awesome! i've loved her since i was about 11 years old. she also has a song from the LOTR movies, "may it be". such a beautiful song.

#18 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Honorable mentions... cinema themes...

"Singin' in the Rain" (1952) theme

"Exodus" (1960) theme

"Love Story" (1970) theme

"The Exorcist" (1973) theme

"Halloween" (1978) theme

"Titanic" (1997) theme

And television...

"Lie to Me" (2009-2011) theme

#19 micchipyon☆

micchipyon☆

おつかれいな ~ ♡

• Senpai
  • 4081 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

Harry Potter & Disney movies. ♥

☆ set by Apple Cake // 田中れいな、永遠に 愛する♥ ☆

Posted Image

twitter × personal tumblr × youtube × yuko fantumblr
《voted as tanaka reina's & ogawa saki's greatest fan 2O11》

#20 Oikaze

Oikaze

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1834 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Other honorable mentions... a movie...

"The Pink Panther" (1963) theme

And a television show...

"Mission Impossible" (1966-1973) theme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users