• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 KaitoDoraemon

KaitoDoraemon

Ai chan: I'm so free I dunno what to do now XD

• Senpai
  • 2359 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

the only dubbed version i cud EVER accept wud be those from POKEMON. other dubs..naaahhh.. dubs just make a certain element of anime missing..

Posted Image
高橋愛ちゃんBlog Translations!!!
You know why I call myself her Royal Clown? because she LOL'ed at "KAITODORAEMON" during her final radio show~! CLICK LOL

#22 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

^ That being said, Pokémon in japanese is epicer. Well except that the USA opening is epic too :good:

g8aHT2F.gif

#23 LiVing_DoLLs

LiVing_DoLLs

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

I prefer subs and I agree with KaitoDoraemon, dubbed anime kinda loses it's essence for me.
Akumade Hitori desu kara.

#24 kagaki

kagaki

I love Captain too much...

• Senpai
  • 4781 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Have anyone notice with dub they cut out the good parts and don't give the whole season?
I'd rather watch on youtube at least some people will have it

83647689.jpg

Set created by reinalovesllamas~

Shimizu Saki and Okai Chisato

#25 BlackTsubaki

BlackTsubaki

Takamina

• Senpai
  • 1061 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I like em in their OG form. For example I much rather watch GTO in its subbed form, for some reason the dubbed voices really don't give me the emotion that I got from the orginal.

There are some though I rather watch dubbed than subbed, School Rumble is a perfect example, I can not stand Hairma's or Tenma's voice in japanese. It bothers me so much I can't past the first 13min of an episode.
So im kinda on the wire with this topic.

Takamina I Shimada Haruka I Mayuyu

#26 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

i like ah my goddess and your under arrest in japanese

but to me alot newer anime being dub very well and i rather watch english instead reading

one anime i started watch was excel saga with is super funny

both version are great to watch one english version makes some new jokes since its in english so its fun to watch both versions
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#27 ♥Sancchan♥

♥Sancchan♥

悪魔の恋人

• Senpai
  • 2401 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I definitely prefer subs. That way I can also learn Japanese while watching anime. :w00t:
I can't stand dubs ever since Sailor Moon was dubbed into Croatian at our national television.. it was so bad that it almost made my ears bleed. T^T

#28 sosanlx

sosanlx

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

Most of the time for me it is what you are used too. Which voices are you used to listing for that anime. And most of the time for me it is Japanese. But for some anime that is on the television here for example I'm used to English voices and don't want anything else then. And I think it is also different for me because English is not my native language and I'm getting quite used too Japanese. I can't understand everything without subs in Japanese. So I watch them with subs as a support kind of thing.

Posted Image

#29 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

^ i see what you mean i like that with some

slayers and ah my goddess and your under aresst i want jajapanese since i saw them in japanese first

and even through they done it wrong i use to english for dragon ball and bleach
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#30 Pukovnik Krv

Pukovnik Krv

Krv fae Vastafel

• Senpai
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

Dubs are a scourge. Subs ftw.

Then again, I'm weird. I even watch American movies with English subs just so I don't have to listen to some of the accents <3

#31 .gina

.gina

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 4164 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

^ Lol I just watch everything subbed for no real reason :wacko:

But I prefer subs. I watched the dub of Sailor Moon as I used to watch it as a kid and it made me cringe. Definitely prefer subs, I'm yet to see a dub that doesn't make me cringe.

#32 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

^ I did exactly the same 2 years ago. I watched an episode of Sailor Moon in latinamerican Spanish dub. It made me go like "WTF I SWEAR IT WAS BETTER THAN THIS" lol. I didn't remember it was sooo bad.

g8aHT2F.gif

#33 Mab

Mab

Everywhere you go, the sky is the sky, and people are people.

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Being, primarily, a japanese forum here, I'm not surprised by most of the responses. Responses that I honestly disagree with. Like I said, I think dubs can add so much for English speaking audiences that you can't get from reading a translation. But, I don't really feel like going into a lot of detail. Instead.. I'd rather just post these, they are documentaries about anime fansubbing. How it started, how it's evolved, and where it is today. I agree with a LOT of this guy's points. This has nothing to do with vying for dubs, it's simply pointing out a lot of the shortcomings of subs. I'm sure most people here would find this video interesting, and probably educational. I'm sure a lot of you guys are going to dislike the viewpoint of this video though.. most hardcore sub lovers seem to hate it. Anyways, you should check it out! :

Anime Fansub Documentary PART 1
Anime Fansub Documentary PART 2
Anime Fansub Documentary PART 3
Anime Fansub Documentary PART 4
Anime Fansub Documentary PART 5

I think the longer I watch this video, the better it gets! It's just so insightful. Hopefully someone else finds it interesting.. I know I learned a lot from it, and realized things I didn't really notice.

#34 jei

jei

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

FLCL is the best example of good dubbing. They managed to keep the Japanese flavor and tone in their dialogues. Why this Anime is not as popular as it should be is beyond me.

Chobineko wa boku no kawaii imouto desu :3

Posted Image

#35 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

Of course good dub exists. Koni-chan is the perfect example of awesome dub (well in Spanish though)... it got more popular in Latinamerica than it ever was in Japan, since with the dubs they changed almost every joke for a joke that Latinamerican people would understand. Risky choice, but it was for the best.

Anyways, I still think the original language is the best choice.

g8aHT2F.gif

#36 prettycatchy

prettycatchy

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:30 AM

Growing up, the dubs were good (90's). After I discovered fansubs, I never went back to dubs (unless it was dubs I was already used to before).
Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Ronin Warriors, etc were good dubs on TV for me (in English of course). Record of Lodoss War was amazing in its dubbed form (also in English).

The way I see it is that whatever version I watched first, I tend to prefer it over the other. So since I know that most anime is Japanese, I will watch the Japanese version instead of dubs, but in fansub form of course.

Check out my fanpage! Twitter Blog Youtube
Completed: GAM - LU LU LU / C-ute - Dance de Bakoon!, Aitai Lonely Christmas / MM - Majide suka ska! / Buono! - JUICY HE@RT

#37 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

^ you should try anime that was release in last 5 years dubs are greating way better

now i watch a show in both dub and sub and usally dub wins for me if the voice acting is good
Posted Image

#38 aisacchan

aisacchan

~愛を信じてる~

• Senpai
  • 1856 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:10 AM

I prefer subs than dubs. So I can heard seiyuu's voices and also learn japanese :D

川*’ー’) ラブ ラブリー 愛ちゃん
48 推しメン : 渡辺麻友松井珠理奈松井玲奈

#39 洋hiromi水

洋hiromi水

dance, dancing all of the night~ ♫

• Senpai
  • 1654 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

I'm really into voice acting, so I usually prefer dubs.
Well, but I have to say that I actually speak German and since I wanted to improve my English I watched some anime in English. After a while I found out that this is a great advantage, because there are far more English dubbed anime than German ones.^-^
The only anime I've enjoyed watching in German was Sailor Moon, Dragonball (Z) and Avatar The Last Airbender, because I feel like the German voices just fit better than the English ones. Also, Elfen Lied has great German voice actors.
Anime that I really like more in English than in Japanese with subs is Death Note (I just love L's voice!!), Venus Versus Virus (I like just the way they're speaking) and Bleach (I love Ichigo's voice!!).
And there are some that I prefer in Japanese, like Higurashi No Naku Koro ni. Well, I watched the first season in English and then the dubbing stopped, so I had to watch it in Japanese until the end. But the Japanese voices are really great, much better than the English ones.

So probably it really depends on which kind of anime you watch, but as I already said, I prefer dubbed ones. Another reason for this is that I enjoy watching the style of an anime, like how it is drawn. I can't enjoy this THAT much when I have to read the subs all the time.^^

Yamazaki Mei Kaga Kaede  Haga Akane  Danbara Ruru Sasaki RikakoAkiyama MaoHirai Miyo

#40 Beecubed

Beecubed

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

Subs, all the way. Dubs can get pretty annoying, but I guess you could get used to it...

But there's just something epic about the Japanese language, and I'd prefer to watch anime listening to Japanese and learning at the same time.. so... yup. ^___^

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users