• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

this is an age old question which is better for anime i like to watch dub or sub. Some say sub is the best while this may be partly true because it was in fact made by the japanese

I like watching dub as well some say watching dub means you too lazy to read I feel this is untrue

there alot anime i like that i love the dub version and there some animes i love in it original sub version

here some subs i like :

slayers this my fav of all time and i wont even watch dub version for this series it has to be sub

sailormoon- face it sub was always best for this one since dic ruin it with its dub version

you under arrest and ah my goddess i prefer sub because seems to work better for these two shows

but there alot good dubs{

like ranma 1/2 which i feel one the best

el hazard ,tenchi, bleach, cowboy bebop, and alot the movies are not bad at all

and project ako i like both verison that i watch them alot

so what you think you like dub list them and list which animes you like sub more . Now days i have watch one show of each and try think which one will i like more

the 2 new animes i am watching Solty Rei and star ocean seem have good dubs as well
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#2 Mab

Mab

Everywhere you go, the sky is the sky, and people are people.

• Senpai
  • 1221 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

I prefer dubs more overall, though I do watch either. I like dubs because I feel it can add more to a show. Jokes get across better when spoken instead of read, and I feel like I can just get more out of a show when my eyes are free to roam more. Plus, I hate fansubs, it's always really hurt the anime industries overseas.

The argument that dubs suck is a dead argument. I'm not going to say that there aren't bad ones, because there are. But, there are just as many bad Japanese voice actors as there are English ones. It usually comes down to money, more money means better directing, writing, and casting for any language. There are lots of awesome dubs these days, I think there is just a biased elitist attitude that comes with the territory. Also, the subaholics(usually the people that don't buy anime and only watch fansubs) are usually just so ingrained in hearing the Japanese voices that it just sounds unnatural for an anime character to have an English voice. That's NOT the problem of the dub itself, there are plenty of other normal people out there who will enjoy them.

#3 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

^

i like what you say i too enjoy dub so i can get more out the show

and for getting the jokes there tons in ranma 1/2 that in dub i got and in sub took me awhile

only sub i got jokes right away was slayers to me its the most perfect show made with subs

thats and i hate the english voices but over all i will watch 70% dubs
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#4 Mai17

Mai17

I'm so damn broke right now ....

• Banned
  • 1031 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:52 AM

both of them are ok to me ...

I think it really depends on the Anime

some I prefer sub, but some I prefer dub

for example : "Mahōjin Guru Guru" I prefer dub coz sometimes the jokes are really hard to understand if you're not Japanese

#5 Huntail

Huntail

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:36 AM

I think so to-It depends on the anime-I just watched the first half of season 2 of Hell Girl and its only subbed-I wasnt sure Id like it since Id only watched Dubs before but it was really good and not a problem and it was kind of cool hearing the original voices even if I didnt understand all they were saying.

both of them are ok to me ...

I think it really depends on the Anime

some I prefer sub, but some I prefer dub

for example : "Mahōjin Guru Guru" I prefer dub coz sometimes the jokes are really hard to understand if you're not Japanese

#6 Keiyori

Keiyori

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

I prefer sub, but I don't mind dub.

Reasons for sub:
-Sometimes they make references and jokes that really can't be translated. For example in DN Angel, the main character Daisuke has his little pet -companion, With, transform into him for a day while Daisuke does something else. With can't pronounce Daisuke's name correctly and instead introduces himself as "Daisuki" which means "I like you" or "I love you". Something like that translated wouldn't have the quite the effect.

-For some animes it will take some time for a studio to license it and have voice actors dub over the original. So sometimes if you can't wait for the dub its quicker to just watch the sub, instead of having to wait months, years, or maybe even never, for an anime to get dubbed.

Reasons for dub:
-Sometimes I just don't want to read to subs and actually be able to focus at the entire screen rather than near the bottom.

-Sometimes the dub will make their own jokes and references and they can actually be quite amusing ^_^

-It's a little refreshing to listen to a language that you can understand

#7 Lawrence

Lawrence

Genki ni, KOHA =D

• Senpai
  • 2128 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

the ONLY one time i'd agree with dubs is there's more action than talking like 80/20 sort of ration but other tthan that, subs subs and would always be subs~ there's just too many things you cant translate like minor quirks in the language like naruto's dateba yo which is TOTALY untranslatable

edit: the only one time i think i liked the dubbing was FMA o.o

#8 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

i watched star ocean to me the dub is better then the sub

not like old days when we had speed racer

todays voice actor just as good as japans

watch fatel fury ova's

their English voice are just bad ass the bad guys have even better voices
Posted Image

#9 MatchinColorGurl08

MatchinColorGurl08

10 years J-Pop and 9 years of K-pop

• Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

I love both but it depends on an anime. I had watched many dubs such as Tenchi Muyo, Sailor Moon, and Ah My Goddness, Bleach, and etc... The only thing that I hate about the dub version is they cut out, skip, or put together the scenes. Sailor Moon is one a good example. "Day of Destiny" was the worse dub ever. http://www.hello-onl...tyle_emoticons/hello-online/c15.gif The cut many parts from the Japanese version and makes it into one episode. I was so confused at each part when the Sailor Scouts were "taking away" and came back as ghosts to help Sailor Moon. :D In the Japanese version, there were two episode for it (The first episode shows the deaths of the Sailor Scouts, while the second episode shows Sailor Moon beats Queen Beryl).

It's all depends on an anime. However, if you buy the dvds with the uncut versions, that's a great deal. http://www.hello-onl...tyle_emoticons/hello-online/c13.gif

#10 mixedmedia

mixedmedia

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 3089 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Subs almost always, but if the subs suck or it's not that popular, I'll take a chance on the raw version. I'd be lying if I said I wait until the DVDs come out and buy or rent them for all the anime and Asian film I watch. As far as I know subs or raw is the only option for drama so I got used to it. Most Japanese/Korean/Chinese(?) shows have text that pops up on screen anyway so maybe the problem isn't reading subtitles but not being used to it.

Besides, so many times the content gets changed to match mouth movement or "cultural differences" or some other dumb reason that what's being dubbed in is rarely the same thing as what the person is actually saying. The English voice actors not being able to pronounce Japanese names and places is also quite bad. Plus how Kansai-ben becomes Texas accent or whatever pisses me off too.

Even worse is when the ppl just take those lines and make them into subtitles (dubtitles) so even if you understand a little Japanese you can tell what they're saying is not matching with the subs at all. Disney's Miyazaki translations are probably the most notable example of this crap.

In general, until you're good enough to not need them, subs (usually) provide the closest to the original translation and don't cut "questionable content" out or have people powering up for weeks on end. Dubs are funny for old kung fu movies though. I stay away from dubs now but some of the one's I hear when flipping channels are so bad I end up having a bad impression of the anime to the point where I might not watch it. The Crayon Shinchan dub is so terrible, but then again I grew up watching the Japanese one with subs.

But I guess the main point is that people are watching and maybe they'll learn enough where they don't need either.

#11 Shinyun226

Shinyun226

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Well.... I'm a purist so I obviously prefer subs, or actually raws are the best but my Japanese still needs work and there's still a lot I need subs for. For me the issue is not the quality of the voice actors or whatever but the preservation of the ORIGINAL format. Frankly I don't care if the dub is better than the original because quite simply ...its not the original. For me this applies to not just animation but also films/dorama/games (yes, I refuse to play dubbed games... I also prefer the original text be intact but......... that's unreasonable I guess, LOL) and also all languages (I refused to watch japanese debs of american stuff as well while I was in japan... thankfully TV is dual-audio there though)
Going with that all I'm against censorship/cosmetic changes/text or credits replacement etc...

Believe it or not this is a pretty "sensative issue" for me and I get pretty pissed off if tries to argue about this with me, LOL.

#12 HPworshiper13

HPworshiper13

Killing time murders opportunities

• Senpai
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

I actually would prefer dub more than sub, but because majority of the dubs are @$$ i would go with subs. Unless the anime has Wendee Lee(haruhi's and konata's voice actress) or Tara Strong(voice of Rikku FFX)'s voice then im not really going to like it. a dub that i actually thought was better than the real japanese dub was the Dragonball series
~!Touhou FTW!~ Posted Image ~!Touhou FTW!~

#13 Lawrence

Lawrence

Genki ni, KOHA =D

• Senpai
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

^i played FF-X and X-2 coz of Tara :drool:

i like her voice too much *o*

#14 HPworshiper13

HPworshiper13

Killing time murders opportunities

• Senpai
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

^HELL YEAH!! Tara is aweshum hahahaha She also did bubble's voice from powerpuff girls, which i have to admit i was a fan of when it was on (i was 10 at the time cut me some slack XD) and also did timmy turners voice from fairly oddparents XD

Here's one of the reasons why I kinda prefer to watch dub more over subs...

Posted Image
~!Touhou FTW!~ Posted Image ~!Touhou FTW!~

#15 BigDnm01

BigDnm01

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

I generally prefer subs w/japanese audio to english dub-over.

In Fact, I sometimes get annoyed with American dubs. More an opinion, I love Japanese voice actors (seiyuu), they have such an amazing voice acting skills where they can convey the full emotions of their characters. Americans can't do that. It's also probably cuz Japanese seiyuu have a lot more training than others.

There is a one I like though, Fullmetal Alchemist, the voice actors seems pretty good to sound like the characters, in actions, expressions, emotions etc.

some I really cringe when I hear the english dub, like Naruto and Bleach.

#16 kagaki

kagaki

I love Captain too much...

• Senpai
  • 4781 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

I would prefer subbed rather than dubbed but there are some dub that i can watch such as Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura. But the reason i don't like it much is that lets say if they charater has a strong voice in the subbed and a squeaky voice in dubbed I wouldn't like it as much. But i respect dubbed a bit

83647689.jpg

Set created by reinalovesllamas~

Shimizu Saki and Okai Chisato

#17 Arche-JoIyO

Arche-JoIyO

♥ Pudding of Puddings ♥

• Senpai
  • 9576 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

When I was little I hated subs, I even watched Love Hina (the first downloaded anime I ever watched) dubbed when I could have watched the subbed version.

But now dubbed versions seem to suck so much in general... also listening to japanese is cool... it sounds so cute <3

g8aHT2F.gif

#18 MatchinColorGurl08

MatchinColorGurl08

10 years J-Pop and 9 years of K-pop

• Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

@kagaki
OMG!! Don't make me get started with Sailor Moon Season 3 and 4. They changes voice actors for Sailor Moon, Mars, or Venus. Man, I was so pissed off when season 3 came on. ^^; :D

@BigDnm01
I feel the same way about Bleach and Naruto. I refused to watch the English dub because they cut out the "best parts." because it's had too much violence. XD

#19 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

sailormoon wasn't dub finest hour yes so i say sub works best here

and slayer sub is best but some show like el hazard is better dub

it was done so well this anmie most fans prefer the dub over the original japanese

now as for bleach i like their english voices alot

and i like sub on bleach too as i watched both
Posted Image

#20 kagaki

kagaki

I love Captain too much...

• Senpai
  • 4781 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

@ Matchin' Color Gurl I see your point even my sister said that season 3 and 4 pissed her off and to tell you the truth i don't even like dubbed anymore. The anime that I know they messed up was Gravitation they all sound like robots and it ruined a perfect shounen- ai anime. I was so pissed off

83647689.jpg

Set created by reinalovesllamas~

Shimizu Saki and Okai Chisato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users