mach1neshopMember Since 19 Sep 2009
Offline Last Active May 19 2018 09:07 AM
- BSAE with minor in mathematics, engineering the next generation of propulsion systems for mankind, or something like that.
- Born and raised in the NYC, NY. Didn't see all the bad, but saw enough of it growing up, even if my situation was never nearly as bad as some of those whom I have had the privilege of growing up with/knowing.
- I don't exactly rank people from First to Last. I have a Tier system instead, cuz I actually do like everyone. Want to know who's where - ask .
- 100% Pinoy..makaintindi ako pero magkakamali ako sa grammar 'ko..pasensya kayo po, Americano ako kasi. Kung wala kaming awayan po, kaibigan lahat tayo, at mag-inuman lang lahat tayo, ah?
- Eclectic range of musical tastes, major interests being rock (LP, SOAD, Dream Theater) and orchestral/classical (Debussy/Beethoven/John Powell), OPM (the older, better stuff!), to a crapload of others. My entire life segmented in scenes has a soundtrack.
- Besides being a total music junkie, I'm an avid musician (playin piano for 12 years (classically trained) and guitar (rhythm for now) for just about 4). Can't get music out of me, which explains why I'm here.
- I don't bite. Me Just do me a favor and message usernames first, or risk denial.
- Finally: curiousity can't be solved if you don't ask. This list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, if anyone even reads this anyhow.
mach1neshop's random song spotlight: Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body from Plans
I'll take this to a slightly different direction. Deceptive easy listening, some clinkly/jangly acoustic guitar fills and body, upbeat bass, keys, and drum work mated with lovesick lyrics - pretty vanilla on initial glance and listen. Superficially you could argue it's just another indie lovesong, and I'd generally agree except for a couple of things. Personally, people seek some sort of fulfillment. Everyone to some degree wants to develop an understanding of one's soul and one's body - if you have a full understanding of both at the same time I personally think you've achieved a unity that few others truly possess. That unity I feel is the desire being expressed ("I want to live where soul meets body"), but sometimes that desire isn't in line with society (" 'cuz in my head there's a Greyhound station, where I send my thoughts to far off destinations, so they may have a chance of finding a place where they're far more suited than here"). Now take that further - we all want to find someone that understands us - you can call this person a soulmate or friend or whatever, and they could potentially come from different walks of life with differing experiences and baggage ("but I know our filthy hands could wash one anothers"). I say also that this might be metaphorical - perhaps this does not refer to another person, but an ideal version of one's self. The urge to understand one's self completely and be understood by another can either lead to the same place of true bliss, or typically, could be good for one goal and not so great for the other, arguably a fantasy/dream, which the jangly guitar work throughout sort of hints at. The song rather ends ominously in my opinion, echo-y and somewhat a minor key, which I take two ways: either the dream comes to an end, or the person has to make a decision - to be understood or to understand. Perhaps I'm talking out of my ass, or sounding tripped out on stuff, but, hey, interpretation of art is an exercise of personal perspective, and I tend to think way too much into things. Either way, it's still good stuff, go out and give it a shot.
- Group Senpai
- Active Posts 1007
- Profile Views 14996
- Member Title Where oceans bleed into the sky
- Age 28 years old
- Birthday November 8, 1989