• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Marida

Marida

卒業した

• Senpai
  • 2488 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

I got to think about this topic when I watched MTV and there was an interview of this girl:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kerli_Kõiv

She basically stated that people who listen to pop music do not like music and do not appreciate it. Then she stated that because she listens to classical and ambient, she does. Is that so?

For me it sounds like I don't appreciate music when I listen to Hello! Project, which is basically pure pop. BUT, if I get my kick out of it, does anything else matter? I LOVE music, it's an important part of my life, but because I don't listen to classical, does that mean I don't appreciate music?

What do you all think about it and what does music mean to you? Is it just something you listen to as background music or is it something that you deeply devote to? Or something else?

Mari fan since 2005!

#2 Kurrupt

Kurrupt

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1123 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

as long as listening to it makes you happy.

to me its a way to relieve stress, thats the biggest thing. when i'm pissed or something i just pop in my earphones and lay on my bed listen to some music.

people have their own opinions, to some people, they think rap is garbage, but I don't. you should be able to listen to whatever you want, classical to hip hop to country

#3 Danseryu

Danseryu

- The EXILE Enthusiast -

• Senpai
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

For me, music is everything. Melodies and beats, vocal registers and instrumentals, everything of the sort that can carry a tune. Music has different genres, just as schools have different subjects. Classical, pop, R&B, rap, etc., all derive from one another in some way.

I find music to relieve stress, to motivate, to relax, or simply to enjoy in all honesty.
道、君と歩いた今日まで かすかに 動くくちびる 特別な時間をありがとう「心」「勇気」「友」「笑顔」 嬉しすぎて 溢れ出した 涙が とまらない

Posted Image

#4 warqueen

warqueen

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

There are some kind of people who like to fell superior to others simply by listening a diferent music style (most of the time progressive metal, progressive rock, ambient, noise, and classical).
I have a lot of friends who think they are way better than anyone else for this reason.
Spoiler

Now, I can't see why.

For me, music is something you should love, and feel good when you listen to it, and there is no difference between the words like and appreciate in this case.

Some people usually criticize-me for liking j-pop. They say like: "why don't you listen to brazilian music if you live here?" or "you can't even understand what they are saying, they can be telling you to fu** yourself". I usually answer: "Because i like this."

Some people who listen to Classical music, say that appreciate the music is to understand how it is played. Recognize the chords, and stuff.
Posted Image

#5 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

Looking to create H!O's version of the Wu-Tang Clan

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

I love music. I am a hip hop junkie to being with, always will be. And for me, hip hop, the culture, not only the music was a way for me to express myself, a way to just be me. Hip Hop in the beginning was a way for youth in poverty in New York to express themselves. They took the leftovers, adjusted it to what they wanted and they created a culture. Hip Hop in it's essence, is a way to express and rebel. So in that case, the same thing happened for me. There were some pretty messed up things happening when I was growing up, and hip hop was a way for me to get away from all that and it allowed me to find out who I am. And to this day, I still have the same love and passion for it now as I did way back when.

I also listen to a little bit of everything to Morning Musume to Primus. It would be stupid of me to not listen to other types of music. With music, it's a way for the listener to see how the artist is thinking, how they are feeling. And its entertaining. So in short, music to me is a way for me to be me, music is a way for me to entertain myself, motivate, reflect and most importantly, a way to have fun.
Join the Wu!Project...Three Spots Still Open, PM for more information
Listen to the H!O Podcast at the thread!
http://www.hello-onl...?showtopic=6332
Or Go Straight To the Episodes!
http://helloonline.m....com/index.html <---- New Episode Every Saturday Night: Check Your Local Listings

#6 Chachimaru

Chachimaru

Her whisper is the Lucifer

• Senpai
  • 2276 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

To me, music is something you enjoy and love.
It doesn't matter what language it's in or what style music is it, as long as it makes you happy.
And something i couldn't live without.

......................................................”ねえ、ナナ。。。"

Posted Image

#7 turbos86

turbos86

=P

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2731 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

For a person to say listeners of a specific genre does not appreciate music is very ignorant. Music is music, no matter what style. Just because one person dislike a specific type of music doesn't mean that genre is not music, no matter how influential that person might be.

Everyone has opinions and everyone's opinion is different. Don't let it affect you and what you like. If it makes you happy, who cares what other people thinks.
I like bubble gum pop with crappy singing and low budget music videos, so shoot me! :P

#8 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

music is music I don't see whats the big deal really. there always gonna be people who look down on certain genre of music and the people who listen to them. if you don't like something then why waste your time bashing it and just go listen to your own music.

I for one listen to variety of genres. From metal, pop, hip-hop, country, classical, trance, techno, electronic, turntablism, trip-hop, kpop, jpop etc. if you only listen to one type it just shows people how narrow minded you really are. plus how does listening to a certain style make you better than others?

racequeen.jpg

#9 TheCase23

TheCase23

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4299 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Seeing as how music is the biggest part of my life, I find it really difficult to detail in words what exactly it means to me.

It is the world to me. Everything I do revolves around music in some way. When I'm online, 95% of the time I'm looking up something involving music. Whether it's reading about bands, reading reviews, checking music forums (like this one), searching for items to purchase, looking for songs to download, watching videos, etc.

Playing in bands for the last 10 years of my life has changed everything for me. My favorite thing in the world is playing music with people. Without music I wouldn't have met hundreds, if not the thousands of people I've met along the way because of playing shows and getting out doing things music oriented. Everyone I know nowadays I've met somehow through music. And the people I've met through music are so much more interesting and amazing versus the people I've met through the regular day-to-day stuff.

Today I spent 2 hours rewiring an old bass amp I have, even there, that is 100% for music.

I could take time to put things into more cohesive thoughts, but the end result would be far too long. Moral of the story, to me, music is what makes life worth living. Most things in normal people's lives don't mean much to them and their fads come and go. To people who love music, it's there forever, it never goes away. It is the most special thing in the world.

#10 Zorr

Zorr

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4978 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

warqueen I think you got it right when you said that some people just like to feel superior because of the type of music they listen too.

Music is there to evoke emotion from us, whether it be happiness, sadness or many others. For me, pop music evokes happiness and joy, it's upbeat and fun to listen to and makes me smile even if I'm not feeling great.

I do feel that classical music is, for the most part, better written than pop music and it evokes different emotions. However, I would never say that classical music is simply better, I don't think that's true, it's just different.

I couldn't live without music, it has such a deep connection. There is something so special about it.

Any music that evokes emotion is doing what it is supposed to really. Apart from the stuff that makes you want to shoot the stero cause it's so bad :P

#11 burnt glitter

burnt glitter

resident tsundere

• Senpai
  • 2425 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

I like all different kinds of music, with specific types of music that I do not like. I like everything but happy hardcore, country music of all kinds, and some rap songs.

Music to me is pretty important, but lyrics aren't. If I like the sound of the voice singing then I will like the song, it doesn't matter what they're saying, really. Music is my way to de-stress, my time waster. I hate silence so I am constantly listening to music, except when I'm sleeping/trying to sleep. I've got lots of music, 366 hours and counting. I'm always downloading and listening and relaxing as a result. If I had that weird complex where you can't comprehend music and it just sounded like noise, I think I would be a really unhappy person.

newsigsayunewnew.jpg

#12 Alienpyon

Alienpyon

With MM till the wheels fall off!

• Senpai
  • 6842 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

If you take the music-related stuff out of my room, not much will remain, actually.
But DON'T touch my Musume calendar, OK? :wub:
Miyoshi Erika, where are you? Posted Image

#13 Marida

Marida

卒業した

• Senpai
  • 2488 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

music is music I don't see whats the big deal really. there always gonna be people who look down on certain genre of music and the people who listen to them. if you don't like something then why waste your time bashing it and just go listen to your own music.

Well this is exactly what I was aming at. It just rases some kind of a rage in me, when people, so narrow-minded, give comments like "you are lower than me because you don't listen to the music I am listening to". And believe me, there are lot's of people who think like that.

It's just, argh, I dunno... :wub:

Mari fan since 2005!

#14 JMol

JMol

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

Well this is exactly what I was aming at. It just rases some kind of a rage in me, when people, so narrow-minded, give comments like "you are lower than me because you don't listen to the music I am listening to". And believe me, there are lot's of people who think like that.

It's just, argh, I dunno... :wub:

Ah musical snobs. I don't understand them myself. Some people just like trying to make themselves feel good by criticising others for things that aren't really important when it comes down to it. They do it with music, tv programmes and anything else you can think of really.

Fo me music used to be everything. Something that can make you feel great when you are already happy and something that can cheer you up when you're down. Then I got bored of the UK music scene and mostly stopped listening to music (except in the car). Then I discovered H!P and now it means about as much as it ever did.

With music when you feel down you can put on something that cheers you up or something that helps you work through the mood you are in (like listening to a sad song when you feel sad gives you an outlet for your own feelings). When you are happy it can really raise your joy to a whole other level. Plus for me with H!P music there's also a whole other dimension that comes to the fore. That whole other dimension being beautiful singers and lots of them. :wub:
My blog: http://morningtime.wordpress.com
My subs download folder: http://www.mediafire...9b5ba589d1986ba

So glad I got to ask Hangry&Angry a question. YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#15 Villappines

Villappines

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

Music to me is a form of expression of everything that goes on around us, for every moment taking place. Weither it's a memorable moment, a happy moment, a sad moment, or just times where you want to let go you know? Music shouldn't be judged and criticized, it should be expressed freely.

#16 12345PAPARAA

12345PAPARAA

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1703 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

I'm listening to music whenever I'm alone, wether it's outside or at home (exercising, doing homework). And it's 90% pop and techno :wub: Yeah, I appreciate pop music :wub:

#17 JmusiC

JmusiC

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

For me music is a hard habit to break. Whatever what I'm feeling is I'm always listen to music. I can say that I listen to all genres of music but I can also say that I don't like all of them. But as a music enthusiast I don't criticize other people about the music their listening to instead I appreciate them to the best that I can.

People has their own point of views about music. Don't let it affect your perception about music because the important is that music makes your life happy.

Posted Image
Credit: Khimme@GG Philippines for the sig | SoShified

#18 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

Call me さくら and yes, I am a girl

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:46 AM

Music is everything to me honestly.

I make and listen to music, so to me music is my form of relaxation, as well as a way to keep my sanity in most situations :w00t:

Berryz Koubou Fansite - Special Generation Forum (sadly this forum is gone but the link remains for posterity)
Listening to J-pop is like eating a can of Pringles "Once you Jpop you can't stop!"

#19 HP_MS24

HP_MS24

5th gen member

• Banned
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Music is like art, it tells a story or an emotion. So in this way I'm really picky about what I listen to and I won't listen to 'mainstream' music that is normally played (in the USA) on the radio. It's not music, it's electronic noise, they don't care about the music. It's just a big game and a popularity contest to them. Repeating the same 2 sentences over and over is not music. It's total crap!

That's why my favorite MoMusu song is the Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari Performance (not the second one though) and why my favorite all time song is Melon Kinebi's Chance of Love.

#20 FumikoH

FumikoH

Let's fun!

• Banned
  • 3181 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

For a person to say listeners of a specific genre does not appreciate music is very ignorant. Music is music, no matter what style...

I think this is solid truth! European classical music from hundreds years ago was popular music of its generation, still it is very nice, but music is alive and it grows and changes during time. I experienced this last night: boyfriend and I attended concert of jazz band Hiroshima, this band includes usual drummer plus percussionist plus taiko drummer! like historical Japanese village musician! and usual bass player and piano+synthesizer player and saxophone+flute player, plus koto player! historical Japanese instrument in jazz! and she is astonishing musician to do this!

What The Music Means To Me: I love music as I love my life. When I was young girl in elementary school I was preparing to become musician and singer personally, I studied piano and voice training many years in Japan, my goal in junior high school was to become singer and song writer like my personal idol Izumi Sakai who appeared only two or three years before my relatives sent me to live in USA. My dream was = sing my own song in Kohaku! which I think this dream is still stuck inside my body, behind my bellybutton. Anyway when I came to USA I was too shy and I did not understand to ask my aunt for continuation of my lessons! so I did not continue, and I became engineer and different dreams. But during past three years my uncle is teaching me to play guitar! and two weeks ago I made personal debut playing and singing in coffee house club during Open Microphone Night, 30 minutes! and 6 songs! Wow, I was fun!

Posted Image Charter member of dorky doki club!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users