• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 ahaw

ahaw

3rd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:09 AM

4. You don't have to answer to every person who doesn't know about video encodes and such (read: noob) about how to use the subs in the video. At the current way it's just click and watch XD

yeah... that make sense.... not only mm stuff but others like anime also

#22 jarkza

jarkza

~_~

• Senpai
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, I'm feeling the same thing. Even after 2 years of Japanese I still can't get much more than the general idea most of the time.

Ah, encoder... For a second I thought it was a translator saying that :D
After my first japanese course I can understand something already, yay....

#23 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

I find that slang terms can be a nightmare to translate fortunatly i have not come across them very often. Subbing songs is not so bad although i find the slower tempo ones (not always) are easier to translate than the more upbeat ones. Certain artists i also find easier to translate than others, i guess thet some seem clearer than others. What i find hardest is anything like the backstage stuff all the general chat and stuff like that as i often cant even work out what there saying but then again im not fluent by anymeans. Some of my friends assume my Japanese must be excellent because ive subtitled a few HP songs, that i can state is not the case i have huge amounts to learn as i can so easily get stuck. One thing i did find good about subbing stuff tho was that the lyrics tend to stick (for me at least) and help you learn about how sentences are structured.

The only drawback i have found is that because most of my Japanese language skills are fundamentally self taught and mostly revolve about Hello Project stuff that ive been told (more than once i might add) that i talk like a schoolgirl :blush :lol: :D

#24 H!P46

H!P46

바나나컨셉트!

• Senpai
  • 1854 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

The only drawback i have found is that because most of my Japanese language skills are fundamentally self taught and mostly revolve about Hello Project stuff that ive been told (more than once i might add) that i talk like a schoolgirl :blush :lol: :D

:D I fear that's what I'm going to talk like if I ever manage to learn. I've got some basics but I still can't shake off the Welsh accent in my pronounciation! :huh It's quite amusing listening to myself, firstly because of the weird accented Japanese and secondly because I can't hear how I usually speak so hearing a recording just sounds strange. Self-teaching is the way to go for the most part as courses are just so expensive but I do think they're worth the money (that I can't spare to take one). I've set myself some realistic targets which I hope to able to achieve. It's just a case of organising my time to learn properly.
Blog Translations

从'v') The Kitty, Miki Fujimoto
从' 。'从  The Monkey, Aya Matsuura

#25 boketaoshi

boketaoshi

Auditioning...

• Senpai
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hello. I'm Japanese.
I'm so impressed there are so many subtitled HP stuffs on youtube and I feel very happy to know there are many no-Japanese HP fans.

Is there anything I can contribute to your work as Japanese?
My English is a bit poor as you see now, but I think I can help especially in slang or dialect thing.

For intance, if I upload dictated Japanese text somewhere, will it be helpful?

#26 tommythecat

tommythecat

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hello. I'm Japanese.
I'm so impressed there are so many subtitled HP stuffs on youtube and I feel very happy to know there are many no-Japanese HP fans.

My English is a bit poor as you see now, but I think I can help especially in slang or dialect thing.

Well you english seems far from poor to me :lol:
Ya HP has a real dedicated following even outside of Japan and im sure anything you can contribute will be welcomed!

Posted Image

No one can ever replace you Makoto

#27 Kuno

Kuno

7th gen member

• Senpai
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hello. I'm Japanese.

Hi there boketaoshi,

Sure, you'd be a great help! I sent you a Private Message, so please take a look at it. You can see at the top of the page if you have a message or not.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kuno

#28 bolivar

bolivar

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:53 AM

Juz a funny thought of my own, i wonder if HPS could find some female cast with sweet voice to dub Hello! Morning. Perhaps can produce the 1st ever english dubbed H!M on the tracker. :XD:

It may not be as good as the original but as least its something fresh & new! Hope to watch an episode like that. XD

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Sirr

Sirr

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

No offense Bolivar, but I'd much rather hear the original voices rather than a dub... Even a good one. There are alot of differences in the voices of Japanese females and westerners. The dubbed movies and anime I have seen just don't measure up to the voice qualities of the originals. You lose alot of the small nuances of Japanese speech when spoken in English, and some sentence structures lose their effect or don't translate at all... Then again, I'm a bit of a purist...

#30 ★pandapple★

★pandapple★

H!P Lifer

• Senpai
  • 1535 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

I agree 100% with Sirr, though I don't think you have to be a purist to dislike dubbed videos. You really do lose a lot when dubbing. I haven't seen any dubbed movie or anime that I wouldn't rather see subbed. Plus, in H!M episodes, there are times when people all talk at once, or they talk very excitedly. I don't think this would be easy to dub at all. I doubt that a group of unprofessional voice actors (maybe even professionals?) could properly capture the emotion that is in the girls' voices when they speak. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see a spoof dubbing of H!M show up. I just don't know if that would be well received by fans or not. People would either absolutely love it or revolt in anger XD Interesting idea though... :w00t:

#31 skyxkami

skyxkami

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here received Japanese classes in high school? I received about two years worth of Japanese in high school and spent months watching raw and HPS videos. I cannot thank you guys enough.

#32 wrongun

wrongun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here received Japanese classes in high school? I received about two years worth of Japanese in high school and spent months watching raw and HPS videos. I cannot thank you guys enough.

I wish I could have taken Japanese in high school. My first high school taught Japanese starting in 9th grade, but our family moved away before I entered the 9th grade. The new high school didn't have Japanese, so I took Spanish. Only two years ago did I begin to learn Japanese on my own. And only two months ago did I take up my first Japanese course. It was a weekend thing for 10 weeks. But I signed up for the next level course which will start in 10 days. It's quite expensive but I like the location and I can afford it now.

#33 BigDnm01

BigDnm01

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:54 PM

ur lucky then. back at my old high school, just before i started there was a japanese course. but they cancel it, those idiots. i never had a chance to really learn japanese. when i was in high school. i took french since they said that another language would help for applying for scholarship to university. If i had a choice i would've choose japanese no matter what. althought there is nothing wrong with french or any other language, it's just what i would've chose becuz i loved the japanese culture ever since.

now years later and i still haven't had a chance to learn japanese. i couldn't afford lessons nor those computer software like Rosetta Stone. and i also never had the time. with technical school, working, and just being lazy i guess. :lol: . but recently i obtain some pimsleur japanese audio lessons but only got through a few of them. i would love to learn kanji and kana (or whatever they called those japanese character writing system) but u certainly can't learn those with audio tapes, only with a live instructor. unfortunely, i can't afford them rite now, either. but someday....

before when u mention about the dubbing.... although i wouldn't mind dubbing, I really would prefer subtitles over dubbing. becuz just what was mention above, listening to their original voices and reactions is so much better, it shows their personality through their voices, cute sounds they make. it really what makes them so lovable and adorable. that why i love watching them on tv, with or without subs. dubbing would really take all the fun out of watching it for me. but before i would trampled on the idea, i would like to watch one first and just to see how it'll turn out. but i think i already make my decision though, cuz the original would be much better.
for example. before i started watching japanese subbed anime videos, i watch any anime that were on american tv. at first, since i love anime and understand english, watching those make me happy. but when i discover the internet and the japanese dubbed/eng subs anime and watching those. although i didn't think of it in the first place, i eventually found that the original japanese version with the seiyuu are great, better than the eng dubbed. like with bleach and naruto for example. they way they talk and attitude, personality that they present fits the characters more than their english counterparts. at least that how i see it. i'm not saying dubbing is not as good (some are as good as the other) . just for much of what i see, i much prefer the japanese version.

#34 JaeCee

JaeCee

All your Risa are belong to JaeCee

• Senpai
  • 1147 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

I took Japanese for six years in high school, and did an extension course for two years. What did I get from it ? Nothing ! :S I was such a lazy bastard back then. Still, I can watch raws and generally know what's happening. I love listening to Japanese radio too. No visuals to distract, so it becomes a pure comprehension exercise.

3 years after high school, decided to seriously pursue it again, from scratch. Could've taken a test to start more advanced classes, but decided to go from square one. Cementing the fundamentals I think would be for the best. It's also a bit fun feeling superior in class, being able to read hiragana and katakana fluently. (Though my kanji is TERRIBLE.)
Posted Image

#35 Blue Sun

Blue Sun

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

when you do translations, how do you do it? do you actually hear every single word they say?? :noo: even then, when I'm listening to them I can't tell when they're using a dialect or some slang that isn't in my dictionary.. :bad:

I think they just get the common jist of what there saying because you can't really translate any language word for word. I know the chinese translations work that way at least. As far as dialect and slang, I'm pretty sure that translators have heard the language or used it enought to determine what is what.

#36 AOR

AOR

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

Um yes...Speaking of translations, I have a question:

I've read countless posts redirecting people to mm-bbs.org for subtitles, yet I always get a Server not found error...Has the site been down for the past three days or so? This is really starting to get on my nerves :lol:

#37 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

@AOR: Offtopic from the main thread but to answer your question they have been back for quite some time... Click Here there was just a change of URL. So there you go
Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.
OR if you need my assistance in fansubbing (QC/Encoding), let me know.

#38 AOR

AOR

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, sorry about that...Desperate times call for desperate measures though, eh mate? :lol:

Thanks a lot, by the by

#39 SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Division H!F

• Senpai
  • 2192 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

@AOR: No problem I do what I can to help, as it is the least I can do.
Hello!Fansubs is recruiting Translators and Karaoke-Typesetters, PM if interested.
OR if you need my assistance in fansubbing (QC/Encoding), let me know.

#40 Ahlen

Ahlen

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

i cant fint this anywhere :( anyone that have it and can upload it =). Subbed version =)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users