• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Rabiesfish

Rabiesfish

6th gen member

• Senpai
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

when you do translations, how do you do it? do you actually hear every single word they say?? :blink: even then, when I'm listening to them I can't tell when they're using a dialect or some slang that isn't in my dictionary.. :wub:

#2 tchenku_rms13

tchenku_rms13

6th gen member

• Uploader
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

well im guessing theyve spent a good bit of time in japan or are japanese :wub:

but either way

thank goodness for HPS :blink:
shift_Mikitty

#3 Johan

Johan

9th gen member

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:15 AM

well im guessing theyve spent a good bit of time in japan or are japanese :wub:

but either way

thank goodness for HPS :blink:

or have a Auto translate progg :wub:
Hello Project & Hello Morning fan!
away good /home/johan best :)

#4 tchenku_rms13

tchenku_rms13

6th gen member

• Uploader
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:20 AM

nah theres no way they have programs that advanced these days. i'd say it's nearly impossible :blink: gotta have the human understanding hehe
shift_Mikitty

#5 LilJo

LilJo

HPS Leader

• Senpai
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:04 PM

The HPS translators have formal education in Japanese through universities.
LilJo of HPS

#6 Rabiesfish

Rabiesfish

6th gen member

• Senpai
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

cool. i wanted to improve my Jp enough to translate, but I can never catch the small mumbles and the dialect references...

#7 epifanes

epifanes

5th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

cool. i wanted to improve my Jp enough to translate, but I can never catch the small mumbles and the dialect references...

minimum requirements are at least 3 years of uni education, one year in Japan and watching A LOOOOT of japanese TV(anime, comedian shows...best option is watching many different genres) <_<

#8 Rabiesfish

Rabiesfish

6th gen member

• Senpai
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:26 AM

well I'm working on the last bit, I like the variety shows where they have the Japanese subtitles "-_-
I'm still lacking vocabulary I think, my daily life in Japan seems to give me a completely different vocabulary set than is needed to understand stuff on TV <_< ^^;

I'm especially impressed with the one-piece translations where they even explain the French or Spanish origins of some words while I was still trying to work out whether the characters were speaking in Japanese or English :omg:

#9 yakuruto

yakuruto

おーはー!

• Dai-Senpai
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:21 AM

I've studied japanese for 3 years under a japanese teacher and a couple of years on my own. I'm confident on my translation skills but only for my personal use because I'm sure that an extensive edition is needed if any of my translations is going publc :w00t:
I have translated some files (just partially because I don't wanna make them public so I get lazy in the end, specially with timing :w00t: ). Most of the time I get the general idea of what's going on the first time I see a video but when I try to translate something I try to catch every word, not to translate literally but to adapt the dialog better to english or spanish vocabulary.
Posted Image

#10 Epofra2K

Epofra2K

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

The HPS translators have formal education in Japanese through universities.

Don't believe what Liljo said... the HPS team translates everything only by FACIAL EXPRESSION!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

#11 LilJo

LilJo

HPS Leader

• Senpai
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:31 PM

minimum requirements are at least 3 years of uni education, one year in Japan and watching A LOOOOT of japanese TV(anime, comedian shows...best option is watching many different genres) :w00t:

Hmm I wonder how I got in... :w00t:
LilJo of HPS

#12 epifanes

epifanes

5th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:45 AM

leader doesnt need to meet those criteria...its just for us, poor overworked translators :blink:

#13 Chr0n0

Chr0n0

7th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:53 AM

I hope one day my Japanese would be good enough to be able to actually translate properly...
but that day isnt even yet visible on the horizon... arrrr

<_<
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~人間玩具Chr0n0~
Founder & Scanner, DPG
Translator & Procastrinator, Mangaproject
Timer & Encoder & Tea Server, HPS

#14 Guest_angelwings711_*

Guest_angelwings711_*
  • Guests (Not logged in)

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:57 AM

Ahh.... It's actually this type of work I want to get into (well not so much subbing movies and such but translation in general). I would really like to take Japanese in University but it's so expensive. "-_- Maybe after I finish my Linguistics degree and save up. I really want to learn.

And I bet some tasks are harder then others..... do you guys notice different dialect at all when subbing Momusu stuff? Because in English you can have 2 or more meaning for one word (ex. Pool to swim in and Pool the game with two cues and 8 balls); Do you run into problems like that in Japanese?

My grandfather liked Spanish because no two words meant the same thing.

Edited by angelwings711, 08 April 2005 - 02:00 AM.

#15 Dronak

Dronak

9th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:37 AM

Translating can't be easy. You have to know two languages very well, probably at least close to fluently, in order to be able to understand everything that's said in one language and then determine the best way to say the same thing in another language. While some things are probably fairly straightforward to do, normal conversation for example, others have to be tricky, like idioms and such colorful sayings. I certainly appreciate all the work the translators and subbers do to allow those of us who don't know the language to understand videos.

I can't speak for the translators here, but my guess is that yes, ambiguity like that will arise in most languages, angelwings711. That's where you'd need to use context and other clues to figure out which meaning was intended. With the "pool" example you gave, you'd probably get differences such as "do you want to shoot pool?" and "do you want to go to the pool?" You can tell which is which by the rest of the sentence.

#16 bolivar

bolivar

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

I would like to suggest if HPS could juz release srt files juz like wat MMBBS forum(they subbed H!M weekly) does to reduce the time for their workload & we can get more & faster subtitles. I think re-downloading the same vids juz to see the subtitles of past H!P vids are a waste of time for downloading time & diskspace too.

Releasing srt files would be ideal for all of us. We could always juz load & play it direct without having to download those huge vids files again. I think HPS has got a stronger & manpower to do a greater job than MMBBS. Great job! HPS! :cool

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

I would like to suggest if HPS could juz release srt files juz like wat MMBBS forum(they subbed H!M weekly) does to reduce the time for their workload & we can get more & faster subtitles. I think re-downloading the same vids juz to see the subtitles of past H!P vids are a waste of time for downloading time & diskspace too.

Releasing srt files would be ideal for all of us. We could always juz load & play it direct without having to download those huge vids files again. I think HPS has got a stronger & manpower to do a greater job than MMBBS. Great job! HPS! :cool

Many reasons why not to do that.
  • People selling stuff on ebay can easily edit srt to something they want to and reencode and sell. Can't do that with hardsubs. as easily
  • It looks helluvalot nicer to watch hardsubs than soft and you can have karaoke and translators note and stuff like that all over the screen.
  • Don't have to search for the freekin files. When it comes to new files, like h!m every week, it's easy to pick show from tracker and sub from mm-bbs. But when it comes to the general picture, someone release a raw and then later on someone subs it... have to search for the old file and blablabla. Whatif all the previous HPS-releases were in srt? gah crazy chaos in my archive that would be XD
plus side for softsub would be that you, possibly, wouldn't have to encode again and download again. But to me, hard is the way to go. soft is just the temporary solution ;p

#18 jarkza

jarkza

~_~

• Senpai
  • 580 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

4. You don't have to answer to every person who doesn't know about video encodes and such (read: noob) about how to use the subs in the video. At the current way it's just click and watch XD

#19 しげる

しげる

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

After checking recent [HPS] subs, I only had 1 original video of a sub that they did and that was the Hello Pro Hour episode. Im pretty sure that there are quite a bit of people who dont have the originals of the files they have subbed and its really nice to download a file for the first time already subbed. Also, I bet there are people who for whatever reason didnt keep the original, then they would now have it back, subbed XD I would like to thank [HPS] for always doing a great job and keep it up‼‼

#20 draky

draky

8th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

I hope one day my Japanese would be good enough to be able to actually translate properly...
but that day isnt even yet visible on the horizon... arrrr

XD

Yeah, I'm feeling the same thing. Even after 2 years of Japanese I still can't get much more than the general idea most of the time.
*wipes tear* So long ZONE...so young, but your music will live on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users