Photo

Which MM member is going to graduate soon?

• Please log in to reply
1674 replies to this topic

#1661 taylorniw

taylorniw

no

• Senpai
  • 4838 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Being the most popular member means literally nothing at this point in time and I doubt that's even true. Not like everyone (or anyone really) is trying to pick her up for gigs and cms nor does she have any recognition with a casual audience. And I highly doubt her merch sales are topping Mizuki or any of the other prominent front girls. That she's the only member of her gen to not have a photobook even though girls like Haruna and Sakura gave gotten them speaks volumes. If she was H!P's top dog we'd know it. Everything about her screams midtier popularity.

They won't put her on shows. They've made it clear they have very little faith in her ability to be a variety star and they're right. Her unpredictable 'lol random' shtick is the lowest form of comedy, as in it's comedy for people who aren't actually funny, and the only people who think it gives her any star power are her fans.

34ybrz6.jpg

#1662 minaeshi

minaeshi

Mahou Idoru Shoujo ♥

• Senpai
  • 2746 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

then graduation it is lol 

av___crystal_star_by_firstfear-d538kcp.g
 • ♥ •  M I N A E S H I  • ♥ • 
Tamura Meimi  Tanaka Reina  Sayashi Riho 
Kamikokuryou Moe ♥ Aikawa Maho ♥ Murota Mizuki  Sato Masaki  Ikubo Haruna ♥ Ikuta Erina 

#1663 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 3457 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

That she's the only member of her gen to not have a photobook even though girls like Haruna and Sakura gave gotten them speaks volumes.

Though that doesn't always mean popularity. Of course it's usually the most popular members that get photobooks (aside from... well, Haruna and Sakura), but for example Miyabi had as many photobooks as Chinami - one of the most popular members of Berryz as many as one of the less popular members. It could be that either Masaki doesn't want to do a photobook or management doesn't want to (could also be because Masaki might be hard to work with, considering her concentration problems). In comparison, while Sakura isn't that popular management always tried to push her (starting with her solo singing events) and Haruna... well, they did add her as a fashionable member, so maybe they thought they should work with her model experience. Or it is a goodbye-present like some people mused and she's next to go. Who knows.

I do agree, though, that Masaki isn't as popular as people might think. She's gotten the biggest gain of fans last year, though.

VKnn8U2.png

#1664 taylorniw

taylorniw

no

• Senpai
  • 4838 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

The photobook was just one example. Even Kanon got more solo work than Masaki did. If she was truly one of the most popular girls they'd utilize her somehow and after half a decade they've never made a serious attempt. She's barely on tv, she's barely in magazines, her radio presence is no more prominent than anyone elses, she's not a true lead and her only real center was shared with a new girl and is arguably one of the least successful of all the more recent a-sides. That either points to her not being that popular or someone hates her guts.

And if her being hard to work with is true then that's worse, especially given that she's not 12 anymore. Being popular means nothing if management can't use you because you're incapable of working properly.

34ybrz6.jpg

#1665 CandyApple

CandyApple

♥ Gorilla-kun ♥

• Senpai
  • 2443 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:17 AM

Miyabi chose not to do a lot of photobooks btw. Her first one was when she was really young and I don't think she was comfortable with the content, so her second and most likely last one was released when she was an adult.

CASig.jpg

"I have a tender image for angel, and I named it wishing to spend days having a tender heart like an angel.

Also, you shed tears when your feelings are at their height, like when you are too happy or too sad, so I wanted to shed that kind of tears with you guys."

- Nakanishi Kana, 2014

#1666 chaebol

chaebol

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

Spoiler

If anyone is going to graduate willingly, it's probably Haruna. She's getting older and it looks like she wants to venture into some modeling. If she got modeling work before debut then I'm pretty confident she will get work post grad.

5869d94c67b03791954371.gif

Morning Musume’17 l Black Pink l T.O.P

2017: Ishida Ayumi l Makino Maria Nonaka Miki

2016Ishida Ayumi l Makino Maria l Sato Masaki

2015:  Ishida Ayumi

#1667 taskinist

taskinist

fighting without makeup

• Senpai
  • 2466 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

To be fair, I feel like Maachan's popularity has increased exponentially in the past year or so, and we all know H!P aren't quick to respond to trends. I think she's definitely not as big as people assume, but I feel like she's grown past mid-tier popularity faster than they've kept up with.

Even if they responded accordingly, though, I think she'd probably get less work than offered because she seems difficult to work with.

2M5bV04.png

haga akane  akanechin fan tumblr + blog translations (hiatus)

#1668 JennyInTokyo

JennyInTokyo

Takahashi Ai wota! ♥

• Senpai
  • 3103 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I don't believe Masaki is as popular as it can be made out. I know a lot of Western fans like her but I don't think she's major popular in Japan. She has some following but I don't think she's as popular as Ayumi or Mizuki.

Even if management didn't want to make Masaki graduate if her injury gets worse under any circumstance there is not a lot they can do. They can't risk the health of a girl no matter how popular she is.

zy7bds.png

From the beginning until the end, I will remain by your side...Ai Takahashi fan, forever and always

A royal subject to the Mizukingdom!

Graphic by Michirin

http://youtube.com/jennyintokyo

#1669 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 3457 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

True. Even Eri and Riho had to graduate in the end, so popularity doesn't do anything.

VKnn8U2.png

#1670 mizukingdom1

mizukingdom1

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

I feel like Maa-chan's popularity is like Zukki's... They are very popular but just not in the "fan" kind of way, like lots of people found out about the group when Zukki's weight fluctuated because it was in the news and such, became fans of the group but just not specifically her "fan"... 

So basically what I'm trying to say is, I don't think you can judge popularity just based on the number of fans.

#1671 JennyInTokyo

JennyInTokyo

Takahashi Ai wota! ♥

• Senpai
  • 3103 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

I think it also depends on how strongly the fans support the girl! Maachan seems popular to me because her fans are very outspoken about her, so it seems she looks very popular but in reality she isn't. It's like Mizuki is one of the more popular members of the group yet I never see outspoken fans for her, but you see the numbers she has so it is always difficult to know how popular the girls are and in which context!

zy7bds.png

From the beginning until the end, I will remain by your side...Ai Takahashi fan, forever and always

Graphic by Michirin

#1672 taylorniw

taylorniw

no

• Senpai
  • 4838 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Mizuki isn't the kind of girl to really inspire fervor in a person and I mean that in the least rude way possible. I'm not a fan but I don't have anything overwhelmingly negative to say about her.

I feel like Maa-chan's popularity is like Zukki's... They are very popular but just not in the "fan" kind of way, like lots of people found out about the group when Zukki's weight fluctuated because it was in the news and such, became fans of the group but just not specifically her "fan"...

So basically what I'm trying to say is, I don't think you can judge popularity just based on the number of fans.

You can't but since the idol boom is over an MM has sort of peaked for the era, the people who support you are the kind of popularity that matters. Just a couple years ago I would have said differently. If they were really big and in demand that kind of popularity would matter more. Rikako has a lot of fans like that but you'll notice all the real leads and fronts in Angerme are the girls with the fan count to back them up.

34ybrz6.jpg

#1673 celestia414

celestia414

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2358 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

If Masaki isn't that popular, why did she win the japanese fan's poll for favorite member of Hello! Project then?

Currently Stuck In My Head: Ai wa Maru de Seidenki

Hello!Online Top H!p Songs of 2016 Voting Results! HERE

#1674 rinafest'16

rinafest'16

Endless Moms

• Senpai
  • 1474 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

^Most fans don't participate in those polls while MOST Maa fans will participate in them

I'm not trying to deny her gains in popularity but I don't take those kind of polls as an indicator. Theres one H!P poll conducted through google docs where starting this year you have to verify your ballot and I'm sure its because of people voting multiple times. And its the girls who's fans are more intense are going to be the ones to try and vote multiple times.

The Elites:Mizuki,Rina, Saki, Tomoko, & Mao

Casual stan: Erina, Ayumi, Maria, Ayaka, Rikako, Risa, Mai, Chisaki, Nanami, all of Kobushi Factory, Risa, & Yumeno

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ suffering from Maasa and Zukki loss currently

#1675 JennyInTokyo

JennyInTokyo

Takahashi Ai wota! ♥

• Senpai
  • 3103 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Mizuki isn't the kind of girl to really inspire fervor in a person and I mean that in the least rude way possible. I'm not a fan but I don't have anything overwhelmingly negative to say about her.

You can't but since the idol boom is over an MM has sort of peaked for the era, the people who support you are the kind of popularity that matters. Just a couple years ago I would have said differently. If they were really big and in demand that kind of popularity would matter more. Rikako has a lot of fans like that but you'll notice all the real leads and fronts in Angerme are the girls with the fan count to back them up.

I know what you mean. I love Mizuki more for performance than personality. Plus I speak to a lot of her other fans but they're not really outspoken about her online.

A poll wouldn't be trustworthy to determine a members popularity. The number of people might to be to small to really get a honest result among many other factors.

zy7bds.png

Graphic by Michirin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users