Photo

how do i get clips of tv programs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:41 AM

how do i get clips of tv programs?

Dear whoever's concerned :

So far, i've been downloading clips of TV programmes from trackers. I thank all who helped uploading and seeding. However, it occured to me suddenly this question; " Where do you get this file? ".
i mean, the show is broadcasted over the TV right? Then how do you get the clip?
They don't release VCDs of the shows right?
Did you...
Used a videocam to record ? (dun think its feasible though)
Watched the show on PC, and used some program to record?
Or is there actually a offical site from the TV station where you can download theses clips?
or is there something else that this well dwelling frog haven heard of?

Hope to get your reply soon. Thank you.

Yours faithfully;
Velven

(this is a computer generated post, no signature is required :blush: )

#2 turbos86

turbos86

=P

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2731 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:10 AM

2 main ways

1, Download them from mirc, P2P networks, usenets, FTPs or the likes~

2, Capture it yourself, with the help of a TV tuner card.

#3 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:21 AM

ok, let me rephrase abit...
so i get this tv tuner card so that i can see the tv shows on pc,
then i have to capture the show using winamp encoder or other the likes~ ?

:lol: Great!
thanks turbos86 :blush:

#4 turbos86

turbos86

=P

• Dai-Senpai
  • 2731 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, that's the idea
but exactly how with what programs, I'm not certain.

#5 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:37 AM

Is velven going to encode something for us?

#6 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:53 AM

:lol: HOw di you know!?! its supposed to be a secret... ^-^

( but seriously, not at the moment... :P )

:blush: off to download all "the likes~" programs from download.com...

#7 inflames

inflames

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:29 PM

TMPGenc is a pretty good mpeg encoder for vcd/svcd stuff, but if your going for encoding to xvid/divx, gordionknot is good if your new to it. But virtual dub can also do the job perfectly fine.

As for capturing programs, virtual dub or avi_io is probably the best ones to use.
Reccomended capturing codecs would be mjpeg (if you dont have hdd space to burn), but if you have plenty of hdd space, huffyYUV is also worth looking at.

Any questions let me know, i made the jump of getting a card for the first time 5 years ago and havent looked back since :GGRR:.

#8 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:31 PM

Wow.. thanks for the info inflames :GGRR:
i'll look up more on these programs :P
:P would you be mad if i said i haven bought the card? i'm sorta still saving :P

btw, happy belated 21th :P

#9 noodles

noodles

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:32 PM

so what kind/brand of card are ya looking at getting?
ive been planning on getting a capture card too but.....yea......anyone got any suggestions on whats good or what not to get?
Am I suppose to sign on the dotted line or by the X?

#10 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

hmm.. actually i haven thought of that...
:blink: anyone else recommends any?

#11 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

No idea...
----------->computer idiot<----------- :blink:

#12 jimbo the mighty

jimbo the mighty

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:04 AM

The Hauppauge PVR 250 capture card is a popular card because a lot of HTPC programs are compatible with it.

Since I got it about two months ago, I've only used the default programs that came with it. It does what I want it to do except for that one time when it only recorded 40 minutes instead of an hour <shakes fist at computer>.

Keep in mind that this card records in MPEG2, so the file size can get really huge if you select the best quality (about 1 GB/hour). Hmmm, this reminds me that I need to encode what I've capped for the past month, but I'll keep that a secret for now ...

Any tips on what settings to use when encoding would be appreciated.

#13 noodles

noodles

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:20 AM

yup im about to either get the 250 or the 350 (leaning more towards the 250...who needs an fm thingamagigy anyways..). everyones been telling me to get a hauppauge. with some registry edits and 8 or 12mbit/sec they say you will be on your way to mind bogglingly delicious caps.

#14 inflames

inflames

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:39 PM

My old card was a PVR 250. Was pretty good and had no problems atall with it.

For best quality with it, you should capture at the max bitrate; 12mbit. Final result is pretty much the same as it would be if you captured in avi, but you only use up about 1/4 of the total disk space ^_^.

#15 noodles

noodles

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:19 AM

i finally decided to get the 350 (darn 250s are quite the elusive bunch) but now im wondering whether i should have gone with an hdtv card. hd stuff would look a lot better but yea no use in thinking about it after i ordered my card already. :bad:

hey velven what kinda options/features (examples: tv in/out, High Def captures, hardware encoding, pci, usb) in the card are you looking for? some cards can go pretty cheap($20) or really expensive($2000) based on what your looking for.

#16 velven

velven

Official Maiko's BBQ

• Senpai
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

hoho, me?
i just wanna card that allows me to watch TV on the com and rip some interesting things out with reasonable quality... the other features? emm... guess i'll only know when i actually play with some card and encounter problems...lol
^_^ $20? thats cheap... but i dun really trust such cheap things...got cheated many times :bad:

currently, i'm asking my friend to scout one for me and gathering info from this thread...lol
hoho, do give more reviews ^^;

#17 hu5h

hu5h

ハッシュ

• Senpai
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

I bought a pinnacle something something tvcard a while back. It's great for just watching tv on the pc and capturing in reasonable quality. I'm sorry I don't know the exact name of the card but still.... Pinnacle is recomended by happy amateur ^^

The software that came in the bundle is ok, but I don't know if there are better ways of capturing and so on... I rarely do anyway.

so my review conclusion:

Posted Image

4 out of 5 ;p

#18 jimbo the mighty

jimbo the mighty

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

i've got a question to throw out: what program should i be using to edit the video i capture? i want to remove the commercials and trim the start/ends of the file so that i have just the program itself.

i think i'm going to be using virtualdub to encode MPEG2 into divx. first time i'll be doing this, so any tips would be appreciated.

#19 Sakura Momusu

Sakura Momusu

6th gen member

• Senpai
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

You could try using TMPEG since I use it to trim files I encode. The result is the encoded file with all the unnecessary parts edited out. ^^

#20 Chr0n0

Chr0n0

7th gen member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:01 AM

i've got a question to throw out: what program should i be using to edit the video i capture? i want to remove the commercials and trim the start/ends of the file so that i have just the program itself.

i think i'm going to be using virtualdub to encode MPEG2 into divx. first time i'll be doing this, so any tips would be appreciated.

Actually, you can use VirtualDub to select which section to encode, use virtualdub to set a selection start and end and then encode.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~人間玩具Chr0n0~
Founder & Scanner, DPG
Translator & Procastrinator, Mangaproject
Timer & Encoder & Tea Server, HPS