• Please log in to reply
23094 replies to this topic

#22701 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

If someone was good enough to be a real singer, they would go solo. Being an idol isn't really a good career unless you're in the biggest groups (though the girls say UF is pretty good too). Even then, many top idols fade into obscurity upon graduation.

#22702 bobvahn

bobvahn

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

Its called Idol for reason,  The idea is to be idolized by many people not to be specified by how good they sing, but many things.

Selling 'looks' is one of it, or more likely their charisma.

They do recruit idol with good sing, other specialized in dance, sometimes they do that things like instrument, beatbox, ext. 

As a model,

Sometimes they specialized in acting in tv, stage or theater,

some have a good talk skills to be put on tv variety show( this things is big in japan), sometimes comedy or as ambassador of a product or an attraction or something else

but of course the main thing they do is group musics.

They are Idols, they have their own characteristic and rules . Otherwise they should be called a singer, a girls band,  an actor, tv personel, an so on.

Some idols legend at some skill or two, I never heard any legendary super idol topped even at nearly everything above .

#22703 Fall

Fall

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1745 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:12 PM

One of the main philosophies of a lot of modern idol agencies is in allowing fans to see the growth in an idol's abilities as they realize their potential. Tsunku has also said at various points that while he does prefer those with strong qualities, if he thought someone had the capability of becoming a big star on their own, that wasn't really what he was looking for in an idol since it doesn't really mesh with the system. That's not to say that we don't sometimes have extremely capable performers right from their outset, but even those have room for growth and a story to follow.  It's part of why someone like Koda Kumi still became a huge star after losing out in a Morning Musume audition to Goto Maki, who for as skilled as Gomaki was, possibly would never have become such a huge celebrity if the idol medium did not exist. While Morning Musume was certainly popular for its time after Love Machine, H!P as a whole has been built more on showcasing potential than creating megastars.

In a way, H!PK was the extreme test case of that experiment, having participants who were so young that nobody ever should have been able to tell exactly how much potential those like Airi, Risako, or anyone else had that ended up in Berryz or C-ute. That's part of why something like Hello! Project is more of a production than a product. The process is every bit as important in the marketing of H!P as the quality of the final product that makes it onto an album or concert DVD. The flip side of H!PK and the later iterations like the H!P Eggs or KSS program though is that we did end up with someone like Airi who may be a bit of an anomaly in the system because of how strong she is as a performer after being an idol for 2/3 of her life. Whether or not she becomes a bigger star after being promoted as a soloist than C-ute ever managed as a group remains to be seen, but it'll be an entirely different beast, and not everyone can be Beyonce or Justin Timberlake.

#22704 Punkin

Punkin

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1388 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

Or want to be, you know? People say that Airi isn’t a fantastic Beyoncé-level vocalist or that she doesn’t have a specific sound but who says she has to? Airi isn’t where you wanna go if you want deep power vocals - Ayaka, JUJU, even Tamura Meimi is the way to go for vocals like that. Airi’s good in the sense that she’s stable and has good stamina and can hit various notes with ease, but she’s not impressive in the sense of having a strong and powerful vocal tone. She never has been and has never been pushed as such. Because that’s not what she is. Granted, she sometimes tries to take on more than she can handle (IDENTITY, honestly. It’s not terrible - Airi at her worst is still better than many singers at their best lol. But she does get screechy sometimes if she goes too high, especially if she’s trying to hold the note. Her vocal range is lower, which she’s been sticking to lately with songs like Bring it Down and the different is noticeable. Her vocals in BiD sound much smoother and better than usual) but she’s still a strong singer nonetheless.

In regards to her various styles and such — you can’t blame management or the company on that one. Airi has said multiple times herself that she presented to the company what she wanted her career to look like as a soloist. Airi has more control than she’s been credited. She said that after °C-ute she was pretty depressed for a while and wasn’t sure if she should continue as a singer - she’s aware that she’s not the best dancer out there, and she’s aware that her vocals aren’t stellar (diva-like, powerful), and she knows she’s not necessarily unique in looks either. She recognizes she’s a jack of all trades and a master of none. So she was feeling like she couldn’t stand on her own as she wasn’t complete enough. But she realized that that’s her charm, and that it’s okay to be how she is and rather than to try to be something she isn’t, or to quit because of it, it’s better to embrace her versatility and well-roundedness and be herself.

That said, she talked about how she struggled with choosing a style. Cute? Cool? Rock-type stuff like what she had with Buono? Or a more cool pop sound like what’s in the mainstream? She couldn’t decide, because Airi herself likes all various genres and styles and her music tastes are all over the place, paired with the fact that as an idol she got to dip her toes into all these areas and try all the styles on to see how they fit. She felt like choosing just one and sticking to it would be a shame, because she’s losing parts of herself. Airi herself is a little bit of everything, and that IS her style and sound — versatile and well-rounded.

There are all kinds of singers. Some are rock. Some are pop. Country. Jazz. Rap. And various mixes of genres. And they stay in those lanes because that’s what they like and who they are, what represents them the best. But if you want someone with a specific style, Airi ain’t it. Those artists are there for those who like those specific styles and genres. Airi isn’t the only one who likes versatility or has music tastes that are all over the place — I’m like that too, so I love that about Airi. I get all the stuff I enjoy in one place.

(I started with this analogy and went further than originally intended with it but imma post it in full anyway because nothing explains this better, imo. My two fav things, food and music.)

When you want pizza you go to a pizza joint that does that specifically, and when you want Italian spaghetti you’re gunna go to the little Italian place that specializes in it. You want trashy McDonalds? You’re gunna go there for that sweet, sweet trashy food craving you’ve got going. You go to a buffet and maybe they have spaghetti, pizza, burgers, noodles, and beef and broccoli, and maybe all of those things aren’t “real” or “genuine” because they’re not made by people who specialize in them (cue your grouchy Aunt’s “Ugh, this isn’t REAL Italian Pizza! Where’s the [badly pronounced Italian word]?“) but they’re good enough and satisfy just the same. You go to a buffet to have the freedom of eating whatever you feel like. Sometimes eating too much of the same thing is boring and starts to all taste the same (honestly, most pasta is the same it’s just a different shape. There. I said it.). Airi is a darn good 5 star buffet as far as I’m concerned, and that’s what I’m hear for.

Airi might have a ton of different sounds and styles but the best thing about it is there’s an Airi for everyone, regardless of gender or age (and I’d like to note here that versatility is much more popular in Japan than artists who stay in one lane. Arashi is a great example of this - their versatility is one of the largest factors that contributes to their massive popularity in Japan. And Koda Kumi was successful while being versatile the same way Airi is).

Too many artists put themselves in a genre box they can’t get out of, and there’s only so much innovating and experimenting one can do when they stay within the same area or style of music, or stick to a specific image. People rag on some artists for being too “one lane” as they get boring over time (Britney, various country singers, etc), and then some rag on artists who are in too many lanes and don’t just pick one. She can’t satisfy everyone, but she can get darn close by being a bit of everything and appealing to various demographics and audiences. That’s why buffets like Airi exist.

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.

#22705 AiriFan2368

AiriFan2368

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:04 AM

she knows she’s not necessarily unique in looks either

She is unique in looks :arrow:

#22706 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:39 AM

Pop stars have a certain trajectory and Airi has missed that train, as great of an idol she is (the only reason I've been interested in H!P for so long in the first place), her voice quality isn't the kind you can sell, and even her performance has rough spots (get a non-idol music fan to watch her concerts and they'll tell you where). She has a lot of the good ingredients, but not the one that matters. She'll probably never break 100k in single sales at this point. I just hope she doesn't go obscenely sexy like Goto Maki.

I think she realizes this, which is why she's so interested in someone like Kikuchi Fuma instead of aiming bigger. What is Fuma even doing nowadays?

#22707 AiriFan2368

AiriFan2368

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

Somehow back to my question, many 48/46er qualities are poorer than Airi, but economically more successful. Do they have better business mode? I think there is enough market for Airi, just how to sell. Yoshino Nanjō's voice is not super strong either. In addition, her vocal skill is improving, e.g.,in Kimagure.

#22708 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5683 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:40 AM

^
Japanese pop culture is restless and relentless. It takes incredibly intense fame for your fame to survive in Japan.
Time scaling
Spoiler
Show business isn't, ultimately, about ability. Nothing in the world is a real meritocracy, and J-Idol is probably the least meritocratic industry ever. (Give or take feudal agriculture)

Also... like you implied, Akimoto-P and his team are very good at what they do (making a market for access to mid-to-low-list celebrities, and populating that list).
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#22709 give me aiai

give me aiai

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:00 AM

Yoshino Nanjō's voice is not super strong either.

Nanjolno is such a weird comparison here to pick. Even if Airi has been in the biz as long as she has, Nanjo has had far more exposure through anison, and with no offense to H!P -- Love Live is, and always will be, a far larger franchise than H!P, even with her character being bottom tier of popularity. 

#22710 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:57 AM

What's up with her hairline?

qBVmAhC.png

Show business isn't, ultimately, about ability.

That's highly debatable. You can sell a turd, but acting, singing, standup comedy etc. require a lot of skill.

#22711 Greyface

Greyface

• Senpai
  • 5683 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

^
Requiring skill doesn't mean the heap is organized from the top skill downward. Who's a better actor, Arnold Schwartzenegger or Steve Buscemi? Who's more famous and better paid? Is Chris Hemsworth a better actor than Patrick Stewart? Can Will Smith act?

You do have to be able to do your job, whatever that job may be, but getting rich and famous and making everybody else rich is not really "skill." It's all sorts of things. Skill is one of them, but not with any particular primacy.

Don't get me wrong, some people do get famous primarily for being skilled. But seriously, skill alone didn't make Beyonce into Beyonce. It was everything all at once that made her.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#22712 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

You're not knocking on Will Smith, are you? Yes, he can act. All those guys can act, with varying levels of skill, but they can.

I get what you're trying to say, but "show business isn't about ability" is such an overly simplistic, unfair misrepresentation of show business and the many performers in it who are highly skilled. You can't just grab a good looking guy off the street and expect them to become famous overnight. It kinda happened to Stallone, but that's what made his story so incredible - he was a rare talent.

Skill alone, no of course not, there are amazing actors that will forever be extras, brilliant singers that will never see the limelight, but you can't really undermine the value of ability in show business.

#22713 Greyface

Greyface

• Senpai
  • 5683 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

^
You seem to agree with my point but continue to pretend to argue. And I don't know what you're saying that does not agree with me. (Except Will Smith, who performs for the camera, but does not act)
"Skill" is neither necessary, nor sufficient for success in show business.

#22714 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:46 PM

You said "show business isn't about ability". That's not true. I'm not pretending anything, you just apparently don't understand your own statements. Maybe English isn't your first language, in that case I forgive you.

Acting for film/TV is performing for the camera. Will Smith is an actor. He acts. You are confusing his celebrity status that he brings into movies that often overwhelms the characters he portrays as the absence of acting, which is wrong. Try Ali, Pursuit of Happyness, etc.

#22715 Greyface

Greyface

• Senpai
  • 5683 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

^

Show business isn't, ultimately, about ability. Nothing in the world is a real meritocracy, and J-Idol is probably the least meritocratic industry ever. (Give or take feudal agriculture)

You're not arguing with me. You're arguing with an arbitrary extract of things I said.

1. Very few people are entertained by the recognition of skill. Some are. Most are not.
2. Show business is not a meritocracy.

And you are trying SO VERY HARD to make it like I'm saying that no entertainers have skill. Or that entertainers don't need any skill. Which I'm not (except Will Smith).

If you want to argue against something I have NOT said, and have no intent to say, I don't really have any problems now that it's clear that is what has been happening. But I definitely will not hold up your 2nd end of the conversation.

#22716 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 12:40 AM

I don't care who you think I'm arguing with. And it's not hard at all. Maybe you are struggling because there are comprehension issues here. Again, if English is a language you acquired later in life, I forgive you.

"Show business isn't about ability" is wrong. What you really mean to say is someone can be popular even if they're not great at what they do. Although that is a bad example of the world not being a meritocracy, because people in show business still have to work hard. That's where drugs get involved.

"Very few people are entertained by the recognition of skill" is another strange thing to say. How many millions are few? "Most are not" is bad conjecture you can never prove. In singing, it's a lot about skill + being in the right place at the right time. Comedy is mostly if not all about skill. Theater has high demands for skill.

Are the Kardashians the full extent of show business to you?

And yes, Will Smith acts. He has movies where his acting is critically acclaimed. Get over yourself. :)

#22717 Fall

Fall

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1745 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 01:21 AM

The believe the point was that if showbusiness were solely about ability, then only those who excelled most in ability would succeed. As they do not, the entertainment industry, as with any other industry, is not truly a meritocracy. That's less a matter of English fluency and more just a matter of expectation.

#22718 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:03 AM

No one is saying show business is ONLY about ability. But to say it is not about ability is wrong. Showmanship even by the poorest abled celebrity is still manifesting a learned ability. Producers can polish the turd, but in that process of polishing, the turd learns something. They know to work the camera, they learn to work emotions, they learn to show only one side of them that is good for TV, there is also the minutiae of memorizing scripts, ad libbing, improv, crowd control. 

Popularity is not about ability. But show business is built by and upon very able people.

Going back to the original topic, why do you think Airi has middling to mediocre sales despite a relatively heavy marketing push by her agency? Ask any non-idol fan what they think after watching her perform and you'll get your answer i.e. that she lacks ability, which seems to correlate with her shortage of popularity. She had enough to stand out among H!P, but not to attract the mainstream.

Is that what's going on here? Apologists trying to explain Airi's shortcomings? That perhaps she would be more popular if show business were a "true meritocracy"?

#22719 Greyface

Greyface

• Senpai
  • 5683 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:08 AM

^
You think I'm concerned about whether you forgive me for your bulldoggish insistence that I am disagreeing with you when I'm not? That I worry that your opinion of me might suffer because you have decided to ignore everything I've written to complain about how I use the word "about" without even getting to that point in your own writing?
That is a way to live your life.

I responded directly to somebody asking about the relative market success of two people, taking for granted the questioner's comparison of performance abilities.

#22720 Kuraudo17

Kuraudo17

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1347 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:53 AM

That's a whole lot of get over yourself. I have said many things and you missed everything? Get over yourself. You have a problem with me extending sympathy? Get over yourself. You want to start talking about how other people live their lives, when you can't separate fact from opinion? Get over yourself.

It's still wrong to say show business isn't about ability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users