• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#21 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

You don't need a reason to help people.

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:08 AM

I really don't feel like I'm in the loop here or like I even belong in this thread--the only seasons I've seen are with Nine and Ten!

Then it's time to fill you in, my good friend, it's TIME to fill YOU IN!!! :XD: Let's all help out on this, as I'll most likely forget some.

Starting with the 1st Doctor, William Hartnell.
The Doctor is a renegade time-lord, exiled from his own planet, by his own people. He fleed his home planet with his granddaughter, Susan and they spent a good while on Earth, until two of Susan's high-school teachers got suspicious of her awesome knowledge, so they followed her after school one day, into a junk yard - eventually Ian and... that chick whose name I can't remember.. ended up on the Doctor's ship, the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) The Doctor, being a man of science, set the TARDIS in motion with these two new passengers aboard, much to Susan's dismay - Back then the when and where of the TARDIS's next destination was completely random, as the Doctor had intentionally broken the guiding circuits so as not to be tracked by his own people.

As their adventures continue, the meet many kinds of aliens; daleks, cybermen, etc... and with the meeting of the Cybermen ("The Tenth Planet" - Episdoes which have unfortunately been lost) the 1st Doctor grows weary, and is no longer able to live, collapsing to the floor, and to everyones surprise, he re-generates into an entirely new body. (Susan is no longer there at this point, as the Doctor left her stranded on Earth in the year... 2005, I think it was)

There's not much to say about the second Doctor other than that his best story was probably "Tomb of the Cybermen" and also, his last story "The War Games" he is put on trial for his "Crimes against the Time-Lords" is found guilty, this time forced to regenerate, and banished to Earth for 100 years. (Hence the majority of Jon Pertwee's stories being set on Earth) *Phew* this is a really daunting task...

Maybe just go here instead

You can also find out quite a lot here, so long as you're willing to poke around a fair bit.

The 40th anniversary book should also bring you up to speed.

There's also lots of fan sites out there, and I even once came across a "dalek time line" and a "cybermen time line" focusing only on the stories with those adversaries.

and welcome to Doctor Who fandom. :P_:P_:D_:P happy reading, viewing and researching. ^_^

#22 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:53 AM

Wow, Horrisu-san, that was very informative. :P Thank you for all the links, I've tried looking up previous Doctors on wikipedia and stuff but the research was just too much!

I'm not really "new" to the Dr? fandom, but I'm definitely new to the previous Doctors and their Arcs!

In fact, I think the only Companion other than Rose I know is Sarah Jane. ::P: I'll go look up that stuff now, especially the Master!

#23 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

This will no doubt help you out immensley (assuming you haven't found it yet), what with a "Beginners guide to Doctor Who" and all.

#24 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

yep this show been around for a long long long time :D i havent seen all that many since before scifi started showing it the only way to seen the old shows was public tv stations and my public tv station cancel the dr who back on the 6th doctor so i glad to see the show now on cable
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#25 Eryri

Eryri

Keeper Of The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

It's a hell of a shame that a lot of the earlier episodes are no longer in the archives. Many of the 'Monster Era' shows during Pat Troughton's tenure as the Doctor has been decimated completely. I would loved to have seen the complete Evil Of The Daleks story. It's only through publicity photos shot during the making of the story that we can see how massive the original Emperor Dalek looked like.

http://en.wikipedia....alekemperor.jpg

#26 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

I have a place where I can get older episodes, so I might just have to download the "Master Arc" or whatever it's called if they're available. :XD:

#27 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:22 AM

It appears there's going to be a new animated series featuring the new companion, which you can read about at the link provided. - I'm looking forward to seeing how it's going to slot in with the events of season 03

Im kind of hopeful that if it's successful it will spawn animated adventures of previous Doctors, much like how you can get the audio adventures of almost all of the previous Doctors - but those bore me; I like to have visuals.

One of the Patrick Troughton (The 2nd Doctor) Cybermen stories, a good portion of which has been lost, has had the missing bits replaced with animation - keep in mind while some 108 episodes of Doctor Who are missing, 100% of all of the audio still remains in tact - zOMG, I just thought of something... 108 episodes of Doctor Who are missing -> 108 Stars of Destiny! :w00t!: Coincidence!? I think not! :lol: Okay, I'll stop. :blush

#28 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

A major spoiler for next season was announced in The Independent On Sunday. Perhaps some of you already know. Let's just say that the villain everybody wanted to come back is returning!

#29 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

A major spoiler for next season was announced in The Independent On Sunday. Perhaps some of you already know. Let's just say that the villain everybody wanted to come back is returning!

I hope you mean who I think you mean? I wonder if they'll ever bring UNIT back? - Propperly I mean, not just like the did briefly in season 01 - and the Brigidear(sp?) I so want him to come back... and who could forget good ol' Bessy? and I was never entirely sure if it was Bessy or Betsy.

Edit: The new series starts Saturday, March 31st, 7pm (In England) That's this coming weekend! :lol: Finally, something to fill in the void that was left be HEROES.

#30 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:39 AM

Uh, sorry to post directly after myself, but did anyone catch the new episode "Smith and Jones."

What do you think of Martha Jones, the new companion?

and the Jadoon? (I look forward to seeing them again myself.)

#31 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Loved the 3rd series opener 'Smith & Jones'. Tennant keeps getting better in the role and I seem to prefer Martha Jones than Rose even though she's only been in 1 episode so far. What a great addition to the Dr Who species the Judoon area - like the space police of the universe.

It seems this year's 'Bad Wolf' is a mystery person called Saxon. A poster with VOTE SAXON was seen in the episode. It's rather obvious now who this Saxon character is going to be - The Master!

#32 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

It seems this year's 'Bad Wolf' is a mystery person called Saxon. A poster with VOTE SAXON was seen in the episode. It's rather obvious now who this Saxon character is going to be - The Master!

How on Earth did you get all that from just this one episode? :wub: If it turns out you've hit the nail on the head with this one, then I must say very well done indeed <would put applauding smiley here like the ones they have on ign message boards, but there isn't one.>

And yeah, I think Martha's turning out to be a Rose-beater as well, but that's yet to be seen, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the Face of Boe again in this series as he was my favourite character from series 1 (as odd as that may seem.)

#33 pige

pige

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

How on Earth did you get all that from just this one episode? ^_^ If it turns out you've hit the nail on the head with this one, then I must say very well done indeed <would put applauding smiley here like the ones they have on ign message boards, but there isn't one.>

And yeah, I think Martha's turning out to be a Rose-beater as well, but that's yet to be seen, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the Face of Boe again in this series as he was my favourite character from series 1 (as odd as that may seem.)

hopefully Martha will fall into a more traditional, non girlfriend, companion and take less time away from the guys in rubber masks.

Had cybermen, had die-a-leks, gotta be the Master. be interesting to see what he does without timelords to mooch off extra life from.

Does anyone else think that Galafray and the timelords just went into hidding, and didn't bother to tell the Doctor?

#34 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

I don't think The Master turns up until the last 2 episodes of the series but before then we've got the Dalek episodes set in 1930's Manhattan which should be good fun. This Saturday's story The Shakespeare Code looks interesting and will hopefully live up to the trailer.

#35 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

darn and i have to wait until scifi channel shows it they are like a season behind
but cant wait and see the master
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#36 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

Here's an article from Digital Spy regarding the mysterious Saxon in the new series of Doctor Who:
http://www.digitalsp...timate-foe.html

#37 Cotton Cloth

Cotton Cloth

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

Here's an article from Digital Spy regarding the mysterious Saxon in the new series of Doctor Who:
http://www.digitalsp...timate-foe.html

Great Article!

So it seems Saxon (possibly The Master) is being played by John Simm, the guy who plays Sam in Life on Mars (my favourite show of recent years).

I don't know, but somehow I just can't see goodie goodie Sam Tyler as the Master. I mean if you're going to hire someone from Life on Mars to play a super villain, surely you'd want to go with Philip Glenister, who plays Gene Hunt.

Anyhoo, that's just my opinion.
Posted Image

#38 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

So what was the verdict then on The Shakespeare Code? An OKish episode, nothing really stood out for me. Looks like New York is going to be featured heavily in the new series. They're going to be there next week and then we've got the 2 part Dalek story coming up shortly.

#39 Cotton Cloth

Cotton Cloth

1st gen member

• Senpai
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:25 AM

So what was the verdict then on The Shakespeare Code? An OKish episode, nothing really stood out for me. Looks like New York is going to be featured heavily in the new series. They're going to be there next week and then we've got the 2 part Dalek story is coming up shortly.

Indeed. OKish is the word. Or rather would be the word, if it were a word.

But I digress.

I'm really impressed by Martha Jones, the new companion. Smart, funny and no push over. Ya gotta love her.

The two highlights of the episode for me:
1. Christina "sigh" Cole, as the witch. Possibly the most beautiful woman walking the planet today
2. The Harry Potter payoff at the end of the episode. Made me squeal with delight!
Posted Image

#40 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

Shakespear code, based on the preview I thought was going to be a bit like The Unquiet Dead from the Christopher Eccelston era, but thankfully it turned out to be pretty good.

I like Martha's inquisitive nature, asking the Doctor in the begining about how the TARDIS travels through time and such, and I hope she keeps it up.

I'm also looking forward to whatever episode it is in which the Doctor is pisses off Queen Elizabeth.

I think next weeks episode, set in New New York (Why not Neo New York?) looks pretty good.

I'm also looking forward to where the relationship between Martha and the Doctor is going to end, because it looks like she's falling for him, and he still hasn't gotten over Rose yet.

Hm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users