• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#1 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

You don't need a reason to help people.

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

So let's all talk about Doctor Who, old and new - not to mention Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new season 03 of Doctor and finding out what this new companion is like. I remember when I first saw a pic of her on the Doctor Who website and thinking "She looks like she's gonna be just like Rose, but not," but after seeing the season 03 teaser on the end of the Christmas special, I now think she's just gonna be her own character.

I wonder what "classic villain" they're going to re-introduce in series three? (If any)

#2 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

Yay! Dr Who! I absolutely adore this show, ugh.

I saw the Christmas Special, but I already forget it. I just remember that the 10th Doctor left when the bride invited him in, pretty much. And the huge spider thing. Was Martha (isn't that the new companion's name?) in the special? Ahh, I don't know.

I don't really want a new companion, Rose is the only one I want to see on that show! I loved the dynamic of Rose and Nine the most, but Ten and Rose were pretty good too.

Also, I was never too fond of Jack, so I haven't watched any Torchwood, though I suppose I should. I heard he's not like he was on Doctor Who anymore, though. My friend said he was "emo", haha.

As for the villains, you know the Daleks are going to be back. Like, seriously. Maybe the Cybermen, too, but I'm pretty sure the Daleks will be back. I'll miss Cassandra as a villain though, she was hysterical.

Wow, I just wrote an essay. :lol:

#3 Eryri

Eryri

Keeper Of The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antioch

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

The Daleks are definitely back in the new series, apparently involving a time travel plot in which they encounter the Doctor in 1930's Manhattan.

I thought I saw a Sontaran in the trailer for season 3 but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm still a huge fan of Tom Baker's time as the Doctor. He was MY Doctor as I grew up watching him but David Tennant is rapidly becoming a favourite as well.

#4 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

I too enjoyed the 9th Doctor/Rose relationship. As for Torchwood, if you haven't seen it; seriously... don't bother. All of the questions you wanted answered weren't, and based on the last episode of TW, they will be answered in season 03 of Doctor Who.

Yeah, Daleks are def' back, as you see the black one at the end of the season preview - that's the one that did an emergency temporal shift in the last ep! ::lol:: (and I'd just assumed that it was representative of all four of the Dalek high council - or whatever they were - shifting as well)

And the face of Boe is back!! :XD: I love that character. And I love the line from s02e01, "He said he'll speak to a wanderer; to the man without a home." - It was something like that, anyway.

I'd like to see what modern sontarans look like - wonder if they'll ever bring The Master back? and I can't wait for the day when they have a multi-Doctor story arc once more! :XD:

#5 Charmy Risuzu

Charmy Risuzu

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing one more appearance of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. I know he's retired but it would still be nice.

#6 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Some people on other forums including myself actually thought we saw Christopher Ecclestone in the trailer. Apparently it wasn't him but it would be nice to have Ecclestone & Tennant teaming up together.

#7 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

i love dr who my fav doctor right now hads to be Tennant before him i would say either Colin Baker or Tom Baker
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#8 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

A long overdue villain that I'd love to see return would be the Ice Warriors last seen in the 1974 story The Monster Of Peladon. A tabloid paper stated that they were due to appear in the Season 3 opener but Russell T Davies has said that whilst he'd like to see them return they won't appear during next season at all.

Seeing the Silurians again would be nice, last appearance in the 1984 story Warriors Of The Deep.

#9 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

i would like to see the master somehow retrun
now thats a villian for the doctor
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#10 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

Horrisu-san, is Torchwood really not worth it? I've heard mixed reviews. Some of my friends love it and some think it's not a good show at all. I'm wondering if I should download the first episode or so, just to form my own opinion. I think I just want to see what happened to Jack after "The Parting of Ways". :lol:

And Eryri, it's "Eccleston". :lol:

sailormari, I'm having trouble reading your posts, due to the lack of punctuation... :/

#11 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

Horrisu-san, is Torchwood really not worth it? I've heard mixed reviews. Some of my friends love it and some think it's not a good show at all. I'm wondering if I should download the first episode or so, just to form my own opinion. I think I just want to see what happened to Jack after "The Parting of Ways". :lol:

Yeah, I think downloading is probably a good idea so you can see for yourself, but I personally hope they never make another season of this show. And I really do think that all of your questions about Jack will be answered in season 03.

I'd like to see some more old companions return - Ace, Tegan, Turlough (obviously not all at once, though)

And seeing the Brigadier return is something I've been waiting for as well - maybe even bring him and the Master back in the same plot - it'd make sense.

And yeah, I almost thought I saw Mr Eccleston in the s03 preview, too, but on closer inspection it turns out just to be some guy.

Just watched the s03 teaser again... More cat-people! and that pig headed thing like from those first Slitheen(?) episodes (I hate the Slitheen... from Raxi... Raxi.... something.... Raxicoricofalipatorious(sp?) That's it!)

#12 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:24 AM

I was very disappointed with season 1 of Torchwood, let's hope that next season will be a vast improvement.

jaclyn - I don't think watching the 1st episode will reflect how inconsistent the scripts on Torchwood were over the course of the season. It starts out quite well but quickly goes downhill.

#13 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

does anyone know when the scifi channel here in the USA will start the thrid season?
Posted Image

#14 usagi_no_kami

usagi_no_kami

うさちゃんピース!!!

• Senpai
  • 11934 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I think it starts again in the summer.. maybe june?

#15 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:31 AM

Horrisu-san and Eryri, I think you two managed to talk me out of downloading Torchwood without even trying. :blink: If it seems like my questions about Jack will be answered in the 3rd season, then I don't think I'll bother. Like I said, I was never even fond of Jack. I think I watched about 10 minutes of a Torchwood episode over my friend's shoulder, so that's good enough for me, then!

And to Eryri, how were the scripts inconsistent? I suppose I could go to wikipedia or something, but I'd rather get a first-hand account. XD

#16 ZetaCron

ZetaCron

• Senpai
  • 1631 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

I was very disappointed with season 1 of Torchwood, let's hope that next season will be a vast improvement.

jaclyn - I don't think watching the 1st episode will reflect how inconsistent the scripts on Torchwood were over the course of the season. It starts out quite well but quickly goes downhill.

Or even better, let's hope they don't make a second season! :XD: :D Seriously though, I personally don't wanna see any more Torchwood.

So what are some peoples favourite story arcs that there have been over the years? I quite like EarthShock (Peter Davison era) and Silver Nemises (Sylvester McCoy era) - I thought "Dalek" (Chis' Ec') was awesome - possibly even may fav' ep from that season.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of any right now.

EDIT: I actually thought that one, first episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures, was better than every episode of Torchwood all put together. Seriously.

#17 Eryri

Eryri

• Senpai
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

I agree with you on that one. The Sarah Jane Adventures was way better than Torchwood.

Favourite stories: the introduction of Davros in Genesis Of The Daleks, Patrick Troughton's final story The War Games, the alternative Earth tale Inferno with Jon Pertwee, Pyramids of Mars and one of the N-space stories Warriors Gate which saw my 2 favourite companions Romana and K-9 leave.

jaclyn - by all means download Torchwood and see for yourself just how bad it was. I insist you do that, don't just listen to Horrisu-san and myself. At least then you can say that both of us were right in slagging it off. As for inconsistency. Take these 2 episodes. One is called Countrycide and is all about cannibalism set in a small rural village in the Brecon Beacons. It's not perfect by any means but I really enjoyed this one as it had tension, a good pace about it and you never knew at first whether it was an alien or not stalking the team members. Compare it to one of the worst episodes called Combat which is basically similar to the film Fight Club except it's humans vs aliens in a steel cage. Whoever wrote that script was just plain lazy.

#18 Charmy Risuzu

Charmy Risuzu

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

This may seem strange, but my favorite Doctor was William Hartnell.

I discovered Doctor Who several years ago when I found the first two stories on VHS at a garage sale.

#19 jaclyn

jaclyn

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

I really don't feel like I'm in the loop here or like I even belong in this thread--the only seasons I've seen are with Nine and Ten!

#20 sailormari

sailormari

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

I really don't feel like I'm in the loop here or like I even belong in this thread--the only seasons I've seen are with Nine and Ten!

then you dont know about the Master :P He is a renegade Time Lord who is the greatest individual enemy of the Doctor
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users