Photo

Talk About Books! What book are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
965 replies to this topic

#21 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

I'm not reading anything at the moment... Probably should start something. But the last book I read was Haruki Murakami's 'Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World'. I loved it. Chances are that the next book I'll be reading is something from him as well.

I'm reading "A Wild Sheep Chase" right now! (Well, I'm writing to H!O at the moment, but... you know what I mean)

I haven't read Hard Boiled yet, but I really liked Dance Dance Dance, and Wind-up Bird. The longer it's been since I read Norwegian Wood, the more I like it. I don't know if you have access to Pinball, but it's semi-prequelish to Wild Sheep Chase, so if possible, you'd want to read it first I guess.

Murakami is rather awsome.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#22 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Uhh...no. Even if you liked LOTR, which I found kinda slow-paced too, you shouldn't read "The Wheel of Time" series. I devoured the first 4 books and couldn't get enough of them, but then I read book 5, then 6, then 7. The pace slows to a crawl people. Nothing happens! I've read some pretty colourful reviews on-line, and I just gotta laugh at the murderous content of some of them. While some people might not mind page after page of endless detail decribing ornamentation of various dresses or the lack of mental stability of our heros, most people I've talked to recommend you to stay the heck away. I would agree, this just isn't everyone's cuppa tea.

LOTR isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea though is it? There's plenty of crappy detailed travelling scenes that really slow things down. So if you can put up with that then Wheel of Time shouldn't bother you too much. Even when it gets boring, you know that means something big will happen soon. And the endings are always great.
You said yourself greyhorse, you loved the first 4 books.....so stick with it 'cos you know how good it can get. I'm on book 7 and things are quite slow....but i can see where it's going. This is the build up to The Last Battle......and you just know thats going to be great.
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#23 Tubster68

Tubster68

Nacchiholic!

• Senpai
  • 1071 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

I'm trying to read my friend's Yearbook when he was in Japan, trying to read what messeges they wrote. ::):

Key word: Trying.... Trying so hard.

#24 SeraphK

SeraphK

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

For you Wheel of Time people....its not ending any time soon, try 3 more books at the least, unless he decides to let loose all hell for 2 really big books. (excuse my language) Yes, I've read all 11 so far, prologues included. For those of you wondering...yes it can be really slow at times, especially at the beginning, but near the last quarter of the book everything goes about 100X faster. Personally, I'd recommend it to those interested, but that's just me.

No books for me lately, too busy working.
Please call me Seraph. No need to type out the 'K'

Recent topics at Seraph's Sanctuary: Initial thoughts on PV; Wishing Well

#25 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

Im currently reading this book. Well trying to anyway :XD:

Yuko? :blink:

Yep its all about Yuko Nakazawa. Basically a life story its pretty good. Poor Yuko :crying

#26 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:44 AM

For you Wheel of Time people....its not ending any time soon, try 3 more books at the least, unless he decides to let loose all hell for 2 really big books. (excuse my language) Yes, I've read all 11 so far, prologues included. For those of you wondering...yes it can be really slow at times, especially at the beginning, but near the last quarter of the book everything goes about 100X faster. Personally, I'd recommend it to those interested, but that's just me.

Well said. My brother has read all 11 books aswell, and he tells me pretty much the same thing. When it gets boring, wait 'till the last quarter and things really speed up. I'd recommend it, but that's just me aswell....
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#27 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:58 AM

there is already a manga discussion/recommendation thread thus this one will only deal with books
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#28 MoonKnight

MoonKnight

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:57 AM

Gosh, I wish I had more time to read good books. I have friends who read books and I feel so... uncultured? Haha.

So anyway, I just started reading Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins. If you like the way Vonnegut writes, you'll probably like Still Life with Woodpecker. Basically it's a love story that takes place insided a box of Camel cigarettes. Yup. Trust me, it's good.
パクパク!パクパク!おべんとパクパク!WOW!

#29 Sliverfall

Sliverfall

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:07 AM

I just started reading Forbidden Realms: Sliverfall.. now you all know where I got my username.. lol I'm on the second part of 7 and it's already really interesting. I'm gonna have to finish it before next week along with a Dragonlance book or I'll get a library fine. T.T
Posted Image

#30 orac

orac

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

Lol, I am in the middle of several books, >.>, the following are just a few:

The Art of Memory

Genki 1: An Integrated course in Elementary Japanese

The Human Aura

Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
Posted Image

#31 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

i'm reading a French cook book, its interesting. Trying to cook something else other than asian food

racequeen.jpg

#32 Novaforever

Novaforever

Tsuji: Dumb as a rock, but still my #1 girl

• Senpai
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Yep its all about Yuko Nakazawa. Basically a life story its pretty good. Poor Yuko :crying

My friend bought that book. Except she doesn't know Japanese. She plans on it being the first book to translate when she can understand it. I told her she has to tell me everything that goes on in it!

Right now I'm reading Catch-22. For those of you who haven't read it, it's a satire! Was I the only one who didn't know that going in? I totally thought it was going to be just another depressing war book. Then by sentence three I was cracking up. It is actually a really hilarious book, and make a lot of good points. I highly reccommend it to everyone.
Posted ImagePosted Image
New avatar/siggy by AnK! *hugglez* Gam is bomb + Obligatory Tsuji

#33 sLaVe4MM

sLaVe4MM

Thanks for The Memory, it's been more than beautiful.

• Senpai
  • 3502 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

Right now I'm reading Catch-22. For those of you who haven't read it, it's a satire! Was I the only one who didn't know that going in? I totally thought it was going to be just another depressing war book. Then by sentence three I was cracking up. It is actually a really hilarious book, and make a lot of good points. I highly reccommend it to everyone.

I was gonna start reading that, then I dunno, I decided not to.
But if its supposed to be serious and makes you crack up....... that might seem slightly interesting! :) I love cracking up at something serious (since I dont do it in real life) like scary thriller movies!

@Pepto you said Mangas count right? I just realized you put it on the sub heading... that it doesnt count... :huh

-sLaVe4MM

http://sweetkaramel....dex.php?act=idx

Pervy Thinkers Association >>LIFE ~ is just another story~2007/7/27<<>>Finally, I get to write again! Get yo KOREAN NEWS!<< CLICKIE ON THE PICIES! They take you to a new world :]

#34 (AZN)animedude

(AZN)animedude

O__O

• Senpai
  • 2588 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

uhh...da vinci code for like the umpteenth time (i onno why i still read it...i only read it cuz of this darn philosophy class) and angels and demons (of course i got alot of heat from my highly christian parents and family members)
:P suddenly...azn's become a ZONE man XD

read mah blogs =D
and read mah reviews =D #2 on that list, and going up

#35 Ash

Ash

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

^Hm, why read both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons? They're practically the same (way overrated) book :)

Currently reading The Mousetrap and Selected Plays by Agatha Christie. Somewhat hard to read, as it's written down as an screenplay. I've read such a book before, however for radio plays (The Mystery of the Murdered Moths and other mysteries, Ellery Queen), this one is more difficult as it has a lot more descriptions on the set, acting and movements.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

#36 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:31 AM

always read the bible just different version and year when it was pub

racequeen.jpg

#37 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5684 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

But if its supposed to be serious and makes you crack up....... that might seem slightly interesting! :lol: I love cracking up at something serious (since I dont do it in real life) like scary thriller movies!

I wouldn't say it's serious that makes you crack up... it's a really humorous take on a serious subject... if that draws any distinction for you? It's one of those things which makes my friends say, "It's funny because it's true." Which is mostly self-explanatory, but loaded up with an extra helping of repetition.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#38 sLaVe4MM

sLaVe4MM

Thanks for The Memory, it's been more than beautiful.

• Senpai
  • 3502 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hmm... I guess Ill check it out if I have to read novels for English thats our choice then.

Reading a new manga : The Devil does exist. (from CMX)

-sLaVe4MM

http://sweetkaramel....dex.php?act=idx

Pervy Thinkers Association >>LIFE ~ is just another story~2007/7/27<<>>Finally, I get to write again! Get yo KOREAN NEWS!<< CLICKIE ON THE PICIES! They take you to a new world :]

#39 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:04 AM

manga DOES NOT count.

there is already a manga thread
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#40 firefly

firefly

1st gen member

• Shinmem
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

Well said. My brother has read all 11 books aswell, and he tells me pretty much the same thing. When it gets boring, wait 'till the last quarter and things really speed up. I'd recommend it, but that's just me aswell....

just bought the paperback of "Knife of Dreams" (Book 11). man, i just started on the prologue & already i've realised how long since i read Book 10 & the rest and how much i've forgotten. had to wait this long to buy Book 11 coz my collection is the normal paperback with black cover & the wheel of time symbol in front (this is the UK version), not the large paperback or the ones with pictures on them (US version) which came out a year earlier i think. had to go back to read the online WOT encyclopedia to remember the characters and the plotline.

what i think of the series? true, it kinda got slow towards the later books. but i find it surprising, for a someone like me who usually doesn't like too much description in a story, i just love the details of WOT. like the epic feel of it and various plotlines. it can got confusing at times & it's far rom perfect, but if it's between loving it or hating it, i love it personally.

official news has quoted Robert Jordan saying that he will definitely end the series with Book 12, even if it has to be >2000 pages. i haven't finished Book 11 yet, but i'm wondering how all the plots can really end with just one more book. Will Tarman Gaidon be in Book 12? i guess we'll just have to wait.

i'm a friggin' book worm, so it's pretty hard to recommend books coz i love so much. just finished reading "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt which was a really good & funny account of his teacher days. if i had to recommend one book, i'd probably recommend "What Should I Do With My Life?" by Po Bronson. the book doesn't really give the answer outright, but by reading the various accounts/stories in the book, u can't help being inspired :lol:
Posted Image
Mame-hime ~ perfecto mundo! sugar, spice & everything nice!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users