Photo

Keeping a computer connected to the internet...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

Call me さくら and yes, I am a girl

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

So....for the past two weeks, my computer will just periodically (no set time fram, mostly when it feels like doing it) stop connecting to the internet.

Now, I know it's not my actual connection, as my mom's laptop stays connected all the time when my computer doesn't.

The only way for me to get it to reconnect to the internet, is to restart. (Makes this really fun to try and seed -_-)

And, the last time that I restarted I saw windows trying to shut down a program with a rather odd name. It was something like "MPDnd_Hooker" ....I'm not sure of the first 3 characters, but I do know that the rest of it I could see was "nd_Hooker"

So....any ideas so I can keep my computer connected for MORE than 24 hours -_-

Berryz Koubou Fansite - Special Generation Forum (sadly this forum is gone but the link remains for posterity)
Listening to J-pop is like eating a can of Pringles "Once you Jpop you can't stop!"

#2 Camui

Camui

Addicted To Hitomi

• Dai-Senpai
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Ok, first thoughts: maybe it's spyware, adware, malware...etc. So what kind of anti-everything evil programs do you have to scan your computer and protect it? Assuming you have some that is.

You should open up task manager to see if that program is running in the background normally. You should do a search of your hard drive for 'nd_hooker' and see what turns up so you can find the full name and whatever is related to it. That way you'll be able to search for more info about it as well as share the name with us so we can help.

Out of curiousity, is your connection wired or wireless?

#3 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Totally related to Spyware, viruses like Camui says. Could also be related to a software firewall program such as Zone Alarm of Norton Internet Security. They're known for there magnificent "feature" of blocking all traffic.

This is what I'd do assuming you're running PC with Win :) on it.
1. Make sure the comp is clean from viruses, spyware and other malicious software using more than one program. (Running Norton AV is not enough, trust me.)
2. Switching to Windows ICF or SP2 FW if using a third party software firewall (or nothing at all if behind a hardware firewall (router etc)).
3. Putting up a ping over night and see if you just looses your connection on a application level or if the NIC actually can't get any traffic through. [ping ip -t] to make an infinite ping loop.
4. Taking required actions after a good nights sleep.

And I suppose you've tried to disable/enable the NIC in the control panel and it still won't start working, right?

#4 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

I actually scanned my comp, only had 2 tracking cookies for spyware. Running anti-virus right now, after an hour of running, everything still showing as clean.

I'm performing a search right now.

And my connection is wired, the laptop is wireless.

I do have 2 firewalls going at all times. SP2 and Zone Alarm. SP2 almost never does anything, and Zone Alarm has been having issues with the "True Vector Service" having to shutdown.....which it immediately restarts, but I never lose internet connectivity.

Yes, I have tried disabling and re-enabling the NIC, as well as pulling the net cable and replugging after at least 30 seconds. the only thing that would resolve it at that point is restarting.

Also, I should mention that it still allows me to connect enough to see people come or go on MSN messenger too.

Berryz Koubou Fansite - Special Generation Forum (sadly this forum is gone but the link remains for posterity)
Listening to J-pop is like eating a can of Pringles "Once you Jpop you can't stop!"

#5 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

Then it's most likely not your NIC. Stuff like this is always difficult since it could be anything. I suggest reformatting and reinstalling windows if the "cleaning" won't do it. Just coz your AV program won't find anything doesn't mean it's not there. You could do a little more tests and see what applications and protocols works when you loose connection with your browser. Try FTP, Telnet and another browser perhaps. But it's like I'm saying.. The easiest way around is probably reinstalling Windows. But then you won't know what was wrong.

#6 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Hmm....okies.....I'll look into that and see if that's a plausible approach at this point.

thanks Sev and Camui

#7 Rikku^^

Rikku^^

2nd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:42 AM

What do you guys reccomand is the best thing to protect the computer from these viruses? Mine pc was broken because when I shut it of it wouldn't come on again. Think they are called Trojan horses or something,this virus. :unsure
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Garamon

Garamon

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1000 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

What do you guys reccomand is the best thing to protect the computer from these viruses? Mine pc was broken because when I shut it of it wouldn't come on again. Think they are called Trojan horses or something,this virus. :unsure

I recommend using a well-known program such as Norton AntiVirus or AVG (good free one), or some other well-known AV program.
I use Norman (Norwegian one) myself, because it comes "free" with my Internet subscriction. But I think it's good anyway.

Also you should have a good firewall. Myself I use only the one that comes with Windows :D (SP2), and haven't had any problems yet.
A good free one is Sygate.
Norton (Symantec) also has one, if you get their "Norton Internet Security" package. (It costs almost US$ 70 though.)

Then get some spyware-remover such as Ad-Aware, and run it from time to time.

Now you should be pretty well protected. Good luck. :D

#9 kera

kera

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

I do have 2 firewalls going at all times. SP2 and Zone Alarm.

Actually, I had trouble very similar to this after installing ZoneAlarm a few years ago. I tried uninstalling it... and my internet connection stopped working, period. It took quite a few hours of hard work to get rid of all the horrible stuff ZoneAlarm had left around my computer. Seriously, it was worse than any virus, worm or trojan I've ever seen. From that point on I just stopped using firewalls and I've never had problems again.

In my experience, "protection software" (antivirus, firewall, etc) often ends up doing damage than it prevents (assuming you aren't reckless and use decent software (e.g. not Internet Explorer) and keep it updated). Or even better, just switch to a decent OS *waves Gentoo flag*

Anyway, try disabling or outright uninstalling ZoneAlarm and see if your connection just stops working at all after a few minutes. If it does, you're probably on to something, but good luck fixing it XD
Posted Image

#10 Scepter

Scepter

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

I used to have this problem but I managed to fix it: I installed a program called RASPPPoE.

Before the installation my internet uptime was max. 12 hours, now it's +50 hours (then I turned the computer off). XD
Risa Recommends:http://www.denness.net/scrobblersig/username/Citadel/labelcolor/6666FF/trackcolor/000000/backgroundcolor/#EEF1F6/backgroundtransparent/0.png
Posted Image
Yo. Please support my band :)

#11 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

RASPPPoE is a PPPoE client that will only help if you're using a PPPoE internet connection with u/p and aren't running it through a common router wich has a PPPoE client built in. Don't think that's the case here.

#12 Rikku^^

Rikku^^

2nd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

I recommend using a well-known program such as Norton AntiVirus or AVG (good free one), or some other well-known AV program.
I use Norman (Norwegian one) myself, because it comes "free" with my Internet subscriction. But I think it's good anyway.

Also you should have a good firewall. Myself I use only the one that comes with Windows XD (SP2), and haven't had any problems yet.
A good free one is Sygate.
Norton (Symantec) also has one, if you get their "Norton Internet Security" package. (It costs almost US$ 70 though.)

Then get some spyware-remover such as Ad-Aware, and run it from time to time.

Now you should be pretty well protected. Good luck. XD

I had Ad Aware and Norton Anti Virus,but AdAware use to find some virus that Norton didn't even find,but I'll try something better than Norton. Thnx to all of you XD ,and btw isn't firefox better than Internet Explorer,prevends some viruses to connect with the user? Heard it from a friend...so I don't know if it's true or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

What programs you're using isn't what's important. It's how you act online.. Trust me. No program can make up for the human behind the keyboard. Be careful.. and stay out of trouble.

Take your vitamins, and clean your room and all will be fine.

#14 Rikku^^

Rikku^^

2nd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

What programs you're using isn't what's important. It's how you act online.. Trust me. No program can make up for the human behind the keyboard. Be careful.. and stay out of trouble.

Take your vitamins, and clean your room and all will be fine.

Hehe yeah I also think what you do is what you get,but I can't help it if I wanna have some pics of MM and I search on google. There are chances that i can get the virus from one of those pages,you never know where the viruse is hiding. And I already ruined my computer twice,the other time wasn't my fault :unsure , so I really don't want to ruin it again. :blush
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:44 AM

Anyway, try disabling or outright uninstalling ZoneAlarm and see if your connection just stops working at all after a few minutes. If it does, you're probably on to something, but good luck fixing it :o

Tried that and my net connection died instantly....faster than normal -_-

I used to have this problem but I managed to fix it: I installed a program called RASPPPoE.

Before the installation my internet uptime was max. 12 hours, now it's +50 hours (then I turned the computer off). :lol:

RASPPPoE is a PPPoE client that will only help if you're using a PPPoE internet connection with u/p and aren't running it through a common router wich has a PPPoE client built in. Don't think that's the case here.

I do believe I have PPPoE built into my modem/router. So...where can I find this program for testing?

#16 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

At their homepage @ http://www.raspppoe.com/

But bare in mind that a PPPoE connection most often only allows one session at a time. So if you disable the client in your modem/router, you wont be able to get the other comp out on the net, unless you make a shared internet with two NICs. But don't belive it's the client in the modem/router that's the problem since it works fine on the other comp. Could be something else in it, like the DHCP not really communicating well with your comp, but if has an open session and the other comp works, the solution wouldn't really be switching client.

But you could always try. It's not much work, and it would be great if it solved the prob.
:lol:

#17 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hmm...sounds more like that would be more trouble than it's worth......

Oh yeah....something else I noticed, is that when it does that.....all of a sudden I have almost no RAM left.....I wonder if something is leeching the RAM to where it cause it to kill the net.....

Thoughts?

#18 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

Definitly. Since your net actually don't drop. From what I understand MSN and some other stuff still works, so basicly it's something bugging your browser, or just to much error so the pages can't be shown. But now when you're saying your RAM drops I lean more towards it being software related in the matter that some process or program just bugs out and makes a disturbance towards the browser. Try to figure out what it is that eating all the memory and kill it and see if that would resolve the problem.

#19 Sakura_Y

Sakura_Y

• Senpai
  • 1607 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

Well...it actually kills IM clients, Bit Torrent (Bit Comet in my case), and IE/Firefox/Opera...so basically anything that connects to the net.....even my weather updater loses it's net connection.

And....everytime that happens.....I can't access the Task Manager......so how else could I see what's running?

#20 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hmm. This could be anything. I think it's most likely software related, but It could also be overheating. So you can't access the task manager nor using your broweser. But how's the computer acting beside those things when it happens. Does it look like most programs stops responding or is it jus a few?

You know what. I don't like the sound of this at all and I'd totally reformat and reinstall windows if I were you. Just make sure you backup all your H!P stuff if you decide to do it.
:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users