• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#61 pichichi

pichichi

Love life!

• Senpai
  • 563 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:48 PM

If there is a pattern of good games selling for that console, then that console is the best choice regardless of power or cost. That how I decide when buying a next generation console. I don't just jump in and buy the latest console the day it is release. I wait a while, most likely a year before buying.

:c16: pichichi :c16:

Posted Image

#62 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

If there is a pattern of good games selling for that console, then that console is the best choice regardless of power or cost. That how I decide when buying a next generation console. I don't just jump in and buy the latest console the day it is release. I wait a while, most likely a year before buying.

you have a point, but it may just be that you're not the kind of person that investigates in much detail about the games coming out on a new console. so you might be in danger of watching games advertisements on TV (which are always grossly misleading) and thinking that they are good. the internet/magezines offer the best info on games so i would advise you to look there.
i know what you mean though, and if you wait longer then the price should go down a bit....at leat thats what i thought about the DS.....and then they made the DS lite. oh well, it looks like im going to have to satrt saving up.......
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#63 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

Looking to create H!O's version of the Wu-Tang Clan

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

you have a point, but it may just be that you're not the kind of person that investigates in much detail about the games coming out on a new console. so you might be in danger of watching games advertisements on TV (which are always grossly misleading) and thinking that they are good. the internet/magezines offer the best info on games so i would advise you to look there.
i know what you mean though, and if you wait longer then the price should go down a bit....at leat thats what i thought about the DS.....and then they made the DS lite. oh well, it looks like im going to have to satrt saving up.......

What, are u saying that I have a problem looking into upcoming games?! So what if I do? Seriously, as long as game players ( I dont like to say " Gamer " cuz everytime I hear it, I think of advertisement. They always mess it up ) keep themselfs mildly informed, we wouldnt have a problem. Like people keep themselfs informed about other things, games arent any different. Megezines are good, but if you want more timlier news & info, internet is the way to go. I use Gamespot.com even tho I have an account for IGN, 1up & Gamespy, Gamespot has a lot more things for the viewer. A weekly live show, that has some problems. And at 4pm pasific, they have a " Boss of Bosses " things. Sounds cool. I dont want to sound like an advertisement, but any of those sites would work just fine.
Join the Wu!Project...Three Spots Still Open, PM for more information
Listen to the H!O Podcast at the thread!
http://www.hello-onl...?showtopic=6332
Or Go Straight To the Episodes!
http://helloonline.m....com/index.html <---- New Episode Every Saturday Night: Check Your Local Listings

#64 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

actaully i was talking to pichiichi......

#65 Van Demonium

Van Demonium

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

Well, every machine has it's own group of excellent games and in order to experience them all fully we need to buy every machine. Right? (rhetorical question, no replies please)

I will not be buying a PS3 right away. I'll wait, like I did for the PS2, for it to go down in price.

But yes. I will be buying a Wii on release day (or week!). This down to the fact that I haven't been so excited about a console launch for ages. 360.....*yawn*. PS3....*sigh*. Wii....OH GOD YEAH!

BTW. The Wii isn't HD compatible so who does this really affect?
Does this all go down to looks over playability? Quantity over quality? Nurture over nature? - (By this I mean games that are designed by a faceless team versus a true genius (Miyamoto)!)
"I'm just watching a bad dream i'll never wake up from" - Spike Spiegel.
小川麻琴 forever.
Check out my band -

#66 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

^^people should listen to Van Demonium....he seems to know what he is on about.

#67 pichichi

pichichi

Love life!

• Senpai
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

Actually, you wouldn't believe how much research I do on games before buying them. I really don't want to spend $70 bucks on a bad video game. I don't Believe the hype ads usually bring up.

I have a paid subscription for Gamespot for 4 years now and read what others say about the current games. I also visit forums and other video gaming sites where video game players go too and talk to the people who work at the video game stores. One of my favorite game reviewers is Jennifer Tsao from EGM.

There is another reason for the waiting part. If there are any problems or not with the hardware, people will complain about it on forums and stuff. Once I get a general idea of what people are talking about, then it will be one of the factors that I consider if I buy that particular console.

Posted Image

#68 Van Demonium

Van Demonium

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

If you do research games before you buy them then you are eligible for a very special club called...
THE INTELLIGENT GAMER SUPER FUN GO! TEAM.

You are the kind of person that the mass games industry does't like. Because you can make informed decisions about possible purchases so therefor........You can join our club.
Just say yes to join. I'll join any of your clubs (as long as they have nothing to do with monkeys!)

Deal?
小川麻琴 forever.
Check out my band -

#69 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:50 AM

Yes to join. Ill join even if I dont like the word gamer.
http://helloonline.m....com/index.html <---- New Episode Every Saturday Night: Check Your Local Listings

#70 'Guin

'Guin

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:32 AM

i am not a fanboy i can assure you.
i own a playsatation 2 and there are many games i like on it. im not saying that PS3 will be crap, im just saying that from what i have seen i havent been impressed or excited by it. the Wii seems to be changing direction....which should hopefully improve nintendo's sales (which i think they deserve for thinking differently). if you are happy with the way video games are being taken by sony and microsoft then good for you. BUT I AM NOT. its just not as exciting as it used to be when new consoles were announced. and ive heard the same from many people.

i think you ('Guin) have a view of me (someone who you really dont know) that i am some kind of nintendo maniac....but i am honestly not. so i think you have been quite rude really. there's no need to try and nit-pick at everyone's points all the time. all you have done on this thread is correct people on minor things. its pointless. if you dont want a Wii then dont bloody get one. everyone has their own opinion about the Wii...if you have nothing constructive to say then dont waste your time....

AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TALK TO ME ABOUT ENGLISH? YOUR NOT EVEN FROM ENGLAND...

Eh, I still lean toward pegging you a fanboy. I find this line of thought from Hideo Kojima to pretty much sum up my stance on the Nintendo BLECH.

"I had an interview at E3, and I responded like this," said Kojima. "The PS3 is a movie theater. You pay 1,800 yen and view a movie with great sound and a huge image. These aren't movies that are remade directly from television, but video that's been made for the movies and everyone comes in wanting that. Xbox 360 is watching a DVD at home. It's for people who want to watch a movie, but anything is okay. The Wii is a television program. You turn on the television, and you can watch soccer or watch a variety show -- enjoy a program lightly."

"If you think about the future of the industry and game creators, I get the feeling that the winner had better be the movie theater -- or, the PS3. No one will say that the price is cheap. However, the PS3 is 'the future.' The Wii is interesting, but in terms of functions, it's a machine with past concepts."

All I've done in this thread is counter-post to the points other people have brought up. Doing so is part of having a "discussion" and/or a "conversation" and one of the great things about freedom of speech in real life, or on the internet, is that someone is free to say anything they want even IF it offends someone. That "nothing nice to say say nothing" mentality is nonsense.

Oh, and for all you know I could have MOVED here from England. Heh. I didn't, but I could have :c06: English is the standard language in America, it's my native tongue and I'm perfectly welcome to bring it into a conversation.

Indeed.

I am not a nintendo fanboy either but I can appreciate their games for what they are.
I found that Ico (for 'Guin's benefit) was one of the most visually beautiful games that had an intriguing story with whimsical overtones. I also thought that it was really sad that it didn't sell too well on the PS2.

IT WAS TOTALLY LOST ON PS2 PLAYERS!!

Now, if had been on the GameCube, it would have sold millions in the UK alone.

Is this just down to the fact that PS2 owners play NFS and FIFA/FIFA Street. Who knows.

I own a 'Cube and a PS2 and find all different games for each machine amazing.

BTW. When I say "PS2 owners", I mean people who only own a PS2 and laugh at the idea of expanding their minds with better games.

Discuss.

You honestly think that ICO would have sold more on the Gamecube? I sincerely doubt that. Not only for the insanely small userbase compared to the PS2 but the fact that the general focus of the N userbase is on first/second party titles, not on third.

Further, it wouldn't possibly ever have landed on a Nintendo platform to begin with since it's a Sony developed title. :( Chalk up the lack of sales to bad marketing (or lack thereof) and horrid release schedules. The same problem was suffered by Beyond Good and Evil, unfortunately. Easily one of the best games of this current generation. Fact is, while we'd all love to see the underdog pull a Katamari and explode, not all of them are going to, that's just how it is.

I think it's short sighted to lambast all the "PS2 owners" for sports titles, heh, there are people that play them on the Xbox and Gamecube lines as well. They're obviously going to sell more on the PS2 platform because there's about 80 million more consoles shipped on that side :D The same thing goes for any other game, really. Heh. I own all of this generation's consoles at this point, including the hand helds. (PS2, XBox, GC, DS, GBA and PSP)

it may look seem like it, but Nintendo is always making money. As the facts Guin droped is one way to show it. Here's another, they have the DS Lite out now, that sold like gang busters. Another thing people dont know, Nintendo has always sold their concoles at a profit, while Sony & Microsoft are selling at a loss, making up the money from the games. While Sony & Microsoft may may sold more concoles, Nintendo could have more money. People dont ever thing that Nintendo is selling at a profit, by the quality of the games. But people dont know the quality of the games because they think Nintendo is " Kiddy ". The hell is that? Gameplay that matters.
As rahvin said, better graphics dont always mean better gameplay. Answer me this, how could u make Mario get better graphics? WOW u can every HAIR on his Mustache, WOW u can see the line on his butt. Yeah. Thats the answer. :wink:

Look at Okami. Sure its a PS2 game, but it doesnt matter. It has great graphics. Just look. http://www.gamespot....creenindex.html
Just because games dont have realistic graphics, dont mean it can look good.

Let me drop some games with non-realistic but good looking graphics.
http://www.gamespot....creenindex.html

I dont mind looking at something realistic while playing a game, but if the game looks like what the game is trying to capture, it doesnt matter. What sells a concole is how the games on it play, if the Wii can give me a good time playing games, that will do it for me. But I want to look at a good looking game, but at the end of the day, gameplay is king!

Yea, they're making money, but they're losing market share. You can't expect them to CONTINUE to make money if their console sales continue to decline. Granted, they could very well ditch the home market all together and survive on their name recognition and their hand helds alone, but how long will that FIRM grip hold? PSP shouldn't have sold as well as it did compared to the DS. Nintendo has a huge, long and very impressive hand held history, Sony doesn't. The simple fact that the PSP stayed afloat is testament to the changes in the industry toward Nintendo.

Sony is now the name thought of when people think about gaming, not Nintendo.

Everything you've said about graphics I fully agree with, so I won't comment on that, but again I have to say that you should look at the grand picture of a console's power. Yes, more powerful hardware leads to more beautiful graphics, but it also lends a hand to every other facet of gaming. Holding back your hardware is a horrible choice.

Holding back on hardware is what kept the N64 with Carts over the PS1's CDs. Need I say more?

*Sigh* So. Much. Typing ;-;

If you do research games before you buy them then you are eligible for a very special club called...
THE INTELLIGENT GAMER SUPER FUN GO! TEAM.

You are the kind of person that the mass games industry does't like. Because you can make informed decisions about possible purchases so therefor........You can join our club.
Just say yes to join. I'll join any of your clubs (as long as they have nothing to do with monkeys!)

Deal?

Anyone that doesn't do research before buying games, and promptly goes out to buy the new MADDEN every year should be taken behind the nearest building and shot - preferably somewhere vital to human survival. Like the brain or the heart. Maybe even a lung.

Unfortunately, if we got rid of all the idiots the market would be much, much smaller. And the main companies that produce our beloved ICOs, SOTCs, BG&Es and Katamaris would have less money to do so in general and.. well.. you see the problem. :lol:

BTW. The Wii isn't HD compatible so who does this really affect?
Does this all go down to looks over playability? Quantity over quality? Nurture over nature? - (By this I mean games that are designed by a faceless team versus a true genius (Miyamoto)!)

The simple answer to your question is: Developers.

That's the same answer to the question of: Who cares if the hardware isn't up to snuff? And all other forms of said question. Oh, and the console most likely to have the highest Quantity of Quality is the one that'll make the devs the most money. The one that'll most likely make the most money is the one with the largest installed user base. If you honestly believe Nintendo'll have the largest user base.. well..

... :rolleyes
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
PEN'Guin

#71 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:20 AM

I'm way too drunk to read all of yer stuff.. But there's only one real answer to all the stuff yer talking about.

He/She who lives will knows..

The PS3 is not in anyway better or bader than the 360. I'm watching 1080i movies through my PLV Z2, and going High def will be like totally late when the PS3 hits the market. Sony just have to accept that they're WAY behind in this war, and they just have to freaking give it up. Keep your honor and accept that you've made some stupid freaking decitions. The 360 and the Wii will dominate the next gen market due to their replay value while the PS3 will only aim towards the Playstationholiacs (wich there's millions of) and nothing else. I'm just getting more and more sad to see Sony trying to come up with new stupid ideas of why the PS3 will make it, and I know guys like 'Guin will come up with new ideas of how the PS3 will make it. But trust me.. There's a small ammount of Nintento fanboys, but a FREAKING huge ammount of blind Playstationholiacs like you.

Freaking grow up. The war is lost. Learn to admit defeat and just give it in, like Sega did with the Saturn ES.Sony should stick to the PSP wich is the dominate hand held gaming system on the market.

#72 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:19 PM

well said Sev. stick it to those sh**stationaholics!!! ::lol::
NINTENDO is, and always will be the best games company in the world. now is their time to shine. i dont care how many fools out there think that "bigger is better"(graphics or otherwise). nintendo always come up with the highest quality of games, so i know which console im buying on launch day....(can you guess) :(

#73 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

im different. I dont know what concole to get. I like the Metal Gear, I like Super Smash, I like the Halo. I like Tekken, I like Mario, I like Dead of Alive. I like the Wii, I like the PS3, I like the 360. Ill wait for a dropped price. Even if the 360 isnt going to have a drop drice this fall. PS3 comming out in November. And we dont even know when the Wii is comming out. We are waiting for the release date to announce the release date for the Wii.

#74 Van Demonium

Van Demonium

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

Oh, and for all you know I could have MOVED here from England. Heh. I didn't, but I could have :c06: English is the standard language in America, it's my native tongue and I'm perfectly welcome to bring it into a conversation.

ACTUALLY your native language is Native American Indian

Your stolen language is English and what a bad job you are doing of using it

'Guin, if all you do is come here and try to show your inane banter then PLEASE KEEP COMING!
It really brightens my already perfect day to come home and read your posts prattling on about nothing.
You seem to just make stuff up

ICO - EVERYBODY knows it was an in house developed game, but that doesn't detract away from you using your imagination to pretend a little.

BUT you are right in saying that all views should be heard.

Oh, and Pepto Bismol, what term would you like to use instead of 'gamer'?
小川麻琴 forever.
Check out my band -

#75 Ol' Dirty Pepto

Ol' Dirty Pepto

• Senpai
  • 1610 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

'Guin, if all you do is come here and try to show your inane banter then PLEASE KEEP COMING!
It really brightens my already perfect day to come home and read your posts prattling on about nothing.

ICO - EVERYBODY knows it was an in house developed game, but that doesn't detract away from you using your imagination to pretend a little.

Anything not stupid sounding and not used by ads. ads destroy the word.

#76 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

okay i think we've given 'Guin enough of a battering for now...you just have to learn not to offend people 'Guin.
Actually i think you were quite good on your last post. polite, to the point and somehow managing not to be rude. WELL DONE! you may make some friends on here after all. :D
whether you love or hate nintendo's next bright idea...this thread will be going strong for a very very long time.....i forsee it. :lol: it just the kind of thing that gets people talking....something which nintendo will be pleased to know.,

#77 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:38 AM

im different. I dont know what concole to get. I like the Metal Gear, I like Super Smash, I like the Halo. I like Tekken, I like Mario, I like Dead of Alive. I like the Wii, I like the PS3, I like the 360. Ill wait for a dropped price. Even if the 360 isnt going to have a drop drice this fall. PS3 comming out in November. And we dont even know when the Wii is comming out. We are waiting for the release date to announce the release date for the Wii.

I play the games that I like, just like you. That's why I own most system. I don't care if it's Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or whatever. It's all about the games in the end. And I will buy a Wii and a PS3 if/when it drops in price. No doubt about that. 8 Days looks amazing and I'm sure there will be titles on the PS3 that will make it worth the money (not 600€+ though). The Wii wich prolly will land at about 250€+ is a little bit easier to overcome. The bottom line is that we already have the 360 out on the market, with some really good games, and more coming. And then both the Wii and PS3 will arrive late this year, wich only means that we will be spoiled with a lot of great games this winter. So put away your gloves.. You won't be going out.. This winter belongs to video gaming. :lol:

And all I can say to that is "WiiiiiiI!"

I've heard a rumor that the Wii will hit the market around september, but it is totally unconfirmed. But it should be in the fourth quarter and I think it'll be before the PS3 aswell.

#78 'Guin

'Guin

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:59 AM

This entire post is hilariously pathetic. The drivel I've been seeing posted by the lot of you really is laughable. It's worth it popping in for a chuckle or two. You all started with X amount of "points" and then, over the course of however many posts, they've all faded away and you're resorting to personal attacks and trying to spout off some nonsense about native languages.

HILARITY.

If you wanted to get technical, "actually", my "native language" by your inane logic would be whatever the hell the most common language spoken in Africa is. Your entire point (and I use that word loosely) about the language is ridiculous.

I defy you to point out some of the "stuff" I've "made up." It's not my fault you're too dim witted to do your own personal research and prefer to resort to spouting off random nonsense. 'Native American Indian' isn't a language, by the way.

I've heard a rumor that the Wii will hit the market around september, but it is totally unconfirmed. But it should be in the fourth quarter and I think it'll be before the PS3 aswell.

The most recent rumor is that it's set for a November 6th launch, and that the units are already in production.
PEN'Guin

#79 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:03 AM

:lol: oh well....back to the arguments....

#80 'Guin

'Guin

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:07 AM

okay i think we've given 'Guin enough of a battering for now...you just have to learn not to offend people 'Guin.
Actually i think you were quite good on your last post. polite, to the point and somehow managing not to be rude. WELL DONE! you may make some friends on here after all. :D
whether you love or hate nintendo's next bright idea...this thread will be going strong for a very very long time.....i forsee it. :lol: it just the kind of thing that gets people talking....something which nintendo will be pleased to know.,

Battering? What BATTERING? None of you have even put up a fight, you've all since completely DITCHED your arguments. You're so far in Nintendo fanboy denial that you're actually claiming to have "battered" me? How adorable. I love that you even admitted in this post that I was "to the point," but ceased to try to back up your arguments or issue counter points.

HILARIOUS. :c06:

Anyway, I have -one- friend here and have neither the need nor the desire to make any more. He was right in telling me not to expect high IQs 'round here. Blech. :c06:

:D oh well....back to the arguments....

You actually thought you could make statements like you have and not get a reply? :rolleyes
PEN'Guin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users