• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#1 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

You may have heard something about this at E3 2006. well, for those that havent, here's the deal:
the Wii is nintendo's next major console, which was codenamed REVOLUTION during its production. The aim is to change the way that computer games are played, primarily by using a very unique controller...
here's a trailer to get you up to date
http://www.youtube.c.....h=Wii trailer
to find more go to www.gamespot.com or search for Wii at youtube.

well? what do you think?
Posted Image SIMPLY THE BEST

#2 hamster

hamster

10 Years & Counting

• Senpai
  • 1743 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

i read the small little artice on egm, it's going to be the cheapest next gen console at 249$

#3 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

thats right it will. however i am in england so i work in pounds.
the point of it being cheaper is obvious: nintendo want to appeal to NEW GAMERS. they want to attract new people into gaming. a good way to do this is to make the console easy to afford. huge prices scare people off, they certainly scare me off (such as Xbox 360). yuck :c06:

#4 hamster

hamster

10 Years & Counting

• Senpai
  • 1743 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

playstation doesn't suck
ninetndo revolution is still to kiddy for me

#5 kera

kera

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

I said quite a few years ago that I wouldn't buy another game console again... Wii (Just why did they have to choose that name? It's impossible to speak about it seriously without sounding ridiculous) will probably make me change my mind. For top-notch hardware and flashy games I already have my PC. Wii is about innovation.
Posted Image

#6 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

I said quite a few years ago that I wouldn't buy another game console again... Wii (Just why did they have to choose that name? It's impossible to speak about it seriously without sounding ridiculous) will probably make me change my mind. For top-notch hardware and flashy games I already have my PC. Wii is about innovation.

you, my friend, are a very intelligent person.
you are exactly the kind of person that nintendo are aiming at with the Wii.
As for the name, let me try and explain. i think the 'ii' stands for the two independant motion sensor controllers. The name sounds like 'WE' , which gives the impression of connection with other gamers (playing together). i know it sounds like wee (as in piss), but i think that was kind of clever on nintendo's part. i mean, a name like that will get people talking, which is a good thing. Any publicity is good publicity, and publicity is what nintendo's consoles have been lacking in recent years.....

#7 rahvin

rahvin

4th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

here's the second trailer:
http://www.youtube.c.....h=wii trailer
come on people, Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :(

#8 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:18 AM

Wii is about innovation.

Definitly.

I was crazy about the PS3 until E3. Now.. Well looks like Sony will have to wait for my money until they can show some obvious reasons for me to buy one. Removing the rumble feature, weak games and a ridiculus price doesn't really suit me well. Enough of that.. This is the Wii thread. And I gotta say, that the Wii looks amazing. And if you can get the console, the nunchuck (spelling?) controller, a game or two for around 350€ then sign me up. It's a big difference between 350€ and 700€ for the PS3. I can't wait to test the nunchuck controller.. Wii sports looked really fun and I can imagine having lots of fun with it and a couple of friends.

#9 wildstarr

wildstarr

Goddess, thy name is Maki.

• Senpai
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:29 AM

Twilight Princess is the only reason you need to get this console. If your a Zelda fan that is. It looks incredible.

And with the Playstation 3 coming out at $599, this it a nice alternative for some next gen gaming at only $250.

Posted Image

#10 Blaice

Blaice

3rd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:52 AM

i read the small little artice on egm, it's going to be the cheapest next gen console at 249$

there's an upside and a downside
upside is cheap because the production is easier and cheaper than the other 2 because (the downside) no HD
i know that not all have HD-TV but no matter how beautiful Zelda already is, i'd rather have to pay another 50 euro for even better quality, think about it, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Zelda and Mario on HD
the visuals of revolution (i'm gonna keep that name) are still pretty amazing for something that small, but after getting use to HD, its still a little bit disappointing that nintendo didnt choose for HD

but the controller RULESSS, so how are we gonna play Mario Kart on the revolution :( :XD:
Semper Fi
Black Ice / Blaice
~=*安倍なつみ*^- & -^*安倍麻美*=~

#11 hamster

hamster

10 Years & Counting

• Senpai
  • 1743 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

maybe they'll make a custom controller to play mario kart

#12 Sev

Sev

Graduated member

• Validating
  • 3639 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

From what I know Nintendo will use the "classic" controller in their bundle and the nunchuck will be an accessory that you need to buy seperatly. So playing Mario Kart prolly won't be any problem, atleast not with the classic controller. Now what's intresting is that Nintendo are planning on releasing some kind of platform that can download over 250 classic NES and SNES(?) games directly to the mem unit of the Wii. And it will be compatible with the Game Cube and further on the DS aswell. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Source: Game Reactor #38

#13 wildstarr

wildstarr

Goddess, thy name is Maki.

• Senpai
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

Here are the specs as of last month...

Official Wii Specs

Now what's intresting is that Nintendo are planning on releasing some kind of platform that can download over 250 classic NES and SNES(?) games directly to the mem unit of the Wii. And it will be compatible with the Game Cube and further on the DS aswell. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Source: Game Reactor #38

You can download NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbografx games

Posted Image

#14 Van Demonium

Van Demonium

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:28 AM

Yes indeed Nintendo have made another major contribution to gaming /entertainment.
All of the major leaps in video gaming came by nintendo.

1. The directional controller (D-pad)
2. The shoulder buttons (SNES)
3. The analogue joystick(N64)
4. The Z trigger (N64) - (Which hasn't been used by any other machine yet. Puzzling.)
5. Motion sensor controller (Wii)

Sony seem to have half-heartedly lumped an inferior motion control sensor in their PS3 control pad but it just seems too lazy by the industry leader.

Watching the videos posted by rahvin makes me come out in goose bumps just thinking about playing Zelda, Mario & Pilotwings. The only blip with this release is that it will be bought for children by their parents and will be seen as a 'childs toy'.

Nintendo, it seems, can not market great inventions for western consumers. They just seem to rely on shoddy marketing and word-of-mouth. NINTENDO, PLEASE DO BETTER!

I for one will be buying a Wii (can I have a Wii, please?) Not for sheer nintendo blindness but for what the Wii really seems to be - A genuine next generation console that offers something totally new and exciting to entertainment.

Oh, and by the way. The Wii will have gamecube compatible controller ports so you can choose not to use the nun-chuks if you don't want to.
"I'm just watching a bad dream i'll never wake up from" - Spike Spiegel.
小川麻琴 forever.
Check out my band -

#15 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

Yes indeed Nintendo have made another major contribution to gaming /entertainment.
All of the major leaps in video gaming came by nintendo.

1. The directional controller (D-pad)
2. The shoulder buttons (SNES)
3. The analogue joystick(N64)
4. The Z trigger (N64) - (Which hasn't been used by any other machine yet. Puzzling.)
5. Motion sensor controller (Wii)

... eh you forgot the light gun :]

In my opinion though, even though Nintendo may have made the initial major leap, Sony can take those leaps and refine on them, the Playstation2's controller is a perfect example of what I mean:

Dual Analog Sticks
Dual shoulder triggers
Analog pressure sensitive buttons
Analog pressure sensitive D-PAD (yes, it's pressure sensitive!)

The wii makes me curious, but not until I see enough games that I want to play. I'll just wait and see ^__^

Of course, any system that gets Rez-2 will have my money in a heartbeat o.o

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#16 kera

kera

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:03 AM

Actually, the Dreamcast controller has one (well, actually, it has two, but the concept is the same)

I agree with the rest of your post.
Posted Image

#17 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:17 AM

Interesting facts from another friend of mine:

1. Four direction input was in gaming way before Nintendo came around, all they did was ditch the stick, that's progression not innovation.

2. Meh, it's two more buttons. Progression not innovation.

3. The controller for NiGHTS was the controller with the first analog stick, actually. The Saturn (or rather, the game and controller) came out about a year earlier than the N64. They don't even get points for progression here.

Posted Image

4. Uh, it's, again, another button.

5. Microsoft's Sidewinder Freestyle Pro was actually the first motion sensing controller. It came out oh.. 6 years ago? 10? Nintendo was -not- the first company to think about it. The Sidewinder was a total and complete flop by the way. That's why no one remembers it.

-Kasey
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#18 綺麗な氷

綺麗な氷

Druidist follower of the Goddess Kago

• Senpai
  • 3252 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:22 AM

5. Microsoft's Sidewinder Freestyle Pro was actually the first motion sensing controller. It came out oh.. 6 years ago? 10? Nintendo was -not- the first company to think about it. The Sidewinder was a total and complete flop by the way. That's why no one remembers it.

Ah yes, I remember using using one of those. I used it at my brother in law's house for a dirt biking game. It took a while to get used to. Kinda annoying at first, though it might be more fun for console gaming.

3. The controller for NiGHTS was the controller with the first analog stick, actually. The Saturn (or rather, the game and controller) came out about a year earlier than the N64. They don't even get points for progression here.

Posted Image

I remember Nights into Dreams...that was a pretty fun game actually.
Mo ghrá thú, a Ai Kago
New signature coming probably never! :D

#19 hamster

hamster

10 Years & Counting

• Senpai
  • 1743 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:43 AM

i still have that controller and game

#20 RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMoon

RyeCrimsonMooch

• Senpai
  • 1350 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:19 AM

Twilight Princess is the only reason you need to get this console. If your a Zelda fan that is. It looks incredible.

Pretty much the only reason I'm getting it. I was REALLY iffy on getting a Wii (And seriously, who came up with that name? Guess you couldn't name it Fu~u...), but then I read an article in some gaming magazine and I wanted one soooo bad! ::lol:: All its special little functions sound like so much fun! :lol: (I sound like a 50 year old mother...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users