• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 chin0bo

chin0bo

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:04 AM

i like both but i don't agree with the comment that kpop is imitation of jpop. there are many songs that are used in many languages, so i guess you can say everyone imitates everyone :). and yeah kpop is very influenced by urban music like r&b and hip hop and so on at the moment cause its hot down there and the in thing (cuteness is also really in for guys and girls). in the end i just think its all up to personal preference.

#22 (AZN)animedude

(AZN)animedude

O__O

• Senpai
  • 2588 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:36 AM

lately i've been listening to more kpop than jpop...maybe cuz i felt like i know a good bit of japanese music been listening to it for awhile i should try new things since there are some really nice kpop artists so i guess it's for me expanding my musical "palete" so to speak (i don't even know if i spelled palete right :))
:P suddenly...azn's become a ZONE man XD

read mah blogs =D
and read mah reviews =D #2 on that list, and going up

#23 °Cal.Mer.Sac

°Cal.Mer.Sac

Let's tanobaru!!!

• Senpai
  • 4455 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

im more of a fan of jpop but kpop is good too. i only dislike korean MV because everyone gets hit by cars or dies of some disease. besides that both are very good.
Posted Image

#24 Za Hitokiri~Gunshin

Za Hitokiri~Gunshin

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 2698 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

don't like korean at all :c33: so I'll stick to J~pop :c16:

#25 Mandaz

Mandaz

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:49 PM

It doesn't make much of a difference to me, really. Music is music. ^^
Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try...

...I'll never know.

~Mandaz~

#26 Kishimoto Erika

Kishimoto Erika

I'm just peachy!

• Senpai
  • 5741 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

It doesn't make much of a difference to me, really. Music is music. ^^

I agree. There are a lot of Korean artists that become hits in Japan, like Younha, BoA, Trax and K. I like Korea more when it comes to horror movies, though.
Kpop 101
A Primer to the Simple Kpop Facts You Should Know

#27 hervin

hervin

Stylee Style-e

• Senpai
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

im more of a fan of jpop but kpop is good too. i only dislike korean MV because everyone gets hit by cars or dies of some disease. besides that both are very good.

yeah noticed that too or if none dies they just got beat up wonder why they are so into it...
still water attracts floating weeds
Posted Image

#28 Gaijin24

Gaijin24

5th gen member

• Banned
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

I newer tryed any non japanese eastern music. I dont know if i should when i like J-pop that mutch allredy. ::lol::

#29 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

you might like SES or baby VOX their pretty good
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#30 Za Hitokiri~Gunshin

Za Hitokiri~Gunshin

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 2698 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:39 AM

I know I don't like chinese music AT ALL, and I don't like K-rock....
don't think K-pop would be much difrent....

#31 Ronin

Ronin

人生Bluetooth

• Senpai
  • 2095 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:54 AM

Japanese pop, because I like the sound of the Japanese language more than the one of Korean. I noticed when I listened to the Korean versions of Younha's songs like "Ima ga Daisuki". It still sounds good, but something's missing. Japanese has a more distinct sound, so I like Japanese pop and rock. Korean is better for ballads like Chinese. Faye Wong's songs transferred into Japanese would sound horrible. ^^

Don't break the Pocky in your hearts.

#32 hervin

hervin

Stylee Style-e

• Senpai
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

you might like SES or baby VOX their pretty good

yeah SES is good its very much same like j-pop but more with a urban touch although they've already disbanded but it was fun while it lasted
still water attracts floating weeds
Posted Image

#33 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

I dont know but i would say i prefer Jpop over Kpop though.

Even though some of the Jpop artist are Koreans... what they are singing i would associate to that as Jpop.

Anyway it doesnt matter. Just listen to what you like. Some Korea songs are nice also.

#34 Garamon

Garamon

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1000 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

I agree with many of you who wrote that Korean popular music, generally speaking, is too much like American popular music. I too prefer the originality which I seem to find more of in Japanese music.
I also detest the trend where many Koreans try to look as Western as possible, by dying their hair blond and using blue/green contact lenses. It looks really bad IMO, especially the contacts.

In all fairness though I must admit that I haven't listened to very much Korean stuff. I'm pretty sure they have artists which are just as original as Japanese, but maybe the Korean ones have a harder time "being heard" through all the "Americanized" artists?
One group I like quite a lot is Baby V.O.X., and from what I read at Wiki. they've reformed as Baby V.O.X. Re.V, which should have just debuted in Korea.

#35 Sophie Rose

Sophie Rose

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

I like Jpop and I like Kpop too (i.e DBSK, Fly to the Sky, Super Junior etc.). They're both different styles and I can't really compare them considering they're different language for one thing, but they both have their good and bad. Then again I like C-pop also, so I pretty much like pop in general. Although Kpop seems more like Kpop/R&B most of the time.

#36 natasha

natasha

5th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

I like K-Pop very much, but i don't like the way it evolved during the last couple of years (i always prefered the pyical techno, dancish sound like the earlier works of Kim Jung Hyun, Lee Hyung Jung, Baek Ji Young or Uhm Jung Hwa; just to name a few). Now many artists changed to R'n'B, Soul, etc. It's some sad to see them imitating the american style.

I hope at least some of them find back the way to their roots! :huh:

#37 Lilth11

Lilth11

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:29 AM

I used to be a major fan of J-pop... but it was always love/hate because a lot of artists annoyed me because their voices were way too high and squeaky. Seriously. I even found Ayumi Hamasaki's voice annoying (sorry to all Ayu fans, but hey, I'm entitled to my opinion). And then I found K-pop.... and is just appeals to me so much more. Reasons?

1). More guys SOUND like guys. Seriously. Why do some Japanese male singers have REALLY high squeaky voices like a girl? When I hear a guy, I want to hear a hot low voice, NOT a high voice....

2). More power; seriously. The Japanese language just seems.... reedy sometimes? With Korean, I get more power, more feeling, and more SOUL, y'know?

3). Better rap and hip hop- I do love these two genres, just not the way that American mainstream uses it. Rap in Korean just sounds more POWERFUL and I don't know why, but BETTER. Japanese rap just sounds.... funky.... y'know?

Reasons I don't like K-pop: Way too many "second_____" and crap like that; I don't listen to much of today's "popular" singers except for BoA, Epik High, and DBSK.... I'm going more old school with Shinhwa, H.O.T, etc.

Too many groups (though Japan takes the away for largest group ever; AKB48, lol, it sounds like a machine gun)

J-pop: Too many squeaky voices. Period. A LOT sound the same. J-rock seems to depend on screaming. Guys at times seem to depend on looks.

#38 BigDnm01

BigDnm01

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

I listen to some amount of K-pop, RnB, rap, hip-hop, etc.... and though I do like some of it with some unique sounds (Epik High), in general, it seems K-pop doesn't have a really distinctive style. Most of it are copycats from other countries as I see it, aka USA, Japan, etc. Nowadays, it's more like a American style of music (pop, hiphop, rap, urban, rock). of course it does have some of it uniqueness...

I lived in America and that's how it feels like. Of course the plus side is that I see fellow Asians succeeding in making music similar to how Americans does, but then again, I'm not a big fan of American music altogether.

J-pop, on the other hand, I found it unique and really special, Like nothing else in the world. their are many diverse genres and style of music. besides J-pop, I also like ballads, J-rock, J-urban, J-RnB, J-rap, etc.
I like H!P with their main bubblegum pop style, as well as their experiment with other styles.
other J-pop acts like Ayumi Hamasaki, Arashi, Kinki Kids, Utada Hikaru, mihimaru GT, Shimokawa Mikuni, T.M. Revolution, Otsuka Ai, Tommy Heavenly6, brilliant green.
I like J-urban/hiphop/rap/RnB like Ketsumeishi, RIP Slyme, Home Made kazoku, M-flo, EXILE, Koda Kumi, etc.
and j-rock like L'arc~en~ciel, X Japan, Janne Da Arc, Gackt, Aya Kamiki, Orange Range, YUI, and many other artists with their diverse music or otherwise fun music that I like to listen, too.

As for K-music, I listen mostly to Epik High (20+ songs), Big Bang (7), BoA (but mostly her japanese, though), DBSK (3), Clazziquai (3), Girl Friends, Chae Yeon, Lee Soo Young (my fav korean singer), Wonder Girls (5), Girls Generation (5), MC Mong (7), Younha (3, and one of them are japanese), and several others, although only 1 or 2 songs worth mentioning...

The point is, I like J-music more than K-music...

#39 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:15 AM

lately i been listening to Banana Girl a hot k-pop artis

not sure why....maybe because she so darn cute

Posted Image
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#40 Ryoutarou

Ryoutarou

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:40 AM

I like Kpop a lot better because most of the songs have a more mature feel as opposed to Jpop. Like, I'd be embarrassed to be blasting something like Hello!Project or Johnny's in my car but a lot of KPop has a modern/americanized feel which I like. KPop artists like Big Bang, Wonder Girls, Epik High, Younha, SHINee all have a certain quality that can't be attained in JPop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users