90 replies to this topic

#1 sejl

sejl

REAL MUSIC

• Shinmem
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:55 AM

With the permision of ky_khor i was able to make this thread

I just recently got into world of Kpop and i have to say i really like what i see, Korea has great artist like BoA, Se7en, Hyori Lee, and probably right now Asia's most popular artist Bi(Rain)

In 2001 or so the term Korean wave was coined as Korean pop culture was growing around Asia and there is still a demand for Korean entertainment now, and with artist like BoA who are finding obvious success outside of Korea is seems like Kpop is a major force

Also Korean singer Bi(Rain) was listed as one of the 100 most influential people who shape our world by Time Magazine, he also in febuary performed two sell out shows at Madison Square Garden and apeared on an MTV special, and he is to have his American debut in October of this year possibly collaborating with people like P.Diddy and others

As we compare Jpop and Kpop, it can be said that Jpop still has a firm hold on Asia and has many fans around the world, but Kpop's fan base is also increasing as well, also as i've explored the two i found that with popular Japanese music rock bands, ballad singers and fun happy songs dominate, but it seems that with Korean popular music a more urban style or r&bish style is more popular than anything else

I really don't know how many people on this site know about Kpop but believe me it's big and they have quality artist, but i just wanted to find out everyones opinions on the two, which ones they like better, and which ones they think can have more of an influence in the future and prehaps which one has the right artist to break into the American market and have success

please have an open mind everyone and please no flamming about anything, and if you don't know much about Kpop i suggest you explore it

#2 sazabi

sazabi

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

I like both but these days I listen to way more J-Pop then K-Pop, I havn't fully been into K-Pop for years now but I do still check up on it for my favorite artists. I guess I stopped listening to K-Pop for awhile because in my opinioin it lost it's identity with all the mass produced groups and artist that are so alike and that are pimped by the record companies, granted the pop world is like that but trust me i use to watch kbs gayo top 10 and kbs music bank for years religiously (since 1993) and as K-Pop grew more and more popular groups would be cloned weekly as soon as H.O.T. and S.E.S. came out.

I mean lets face it Fin K.L. and Sechs Kies were DSP Entertainments version of H.O.T. and S.E.S. but they came into there own unlike all the other record companies clones and I actually ended up digging them more then who they were based off of or meant to compete against. I don't even wanna bother going into BoA* and her clones lol when she debuted when she was 13 (for the record BoA* is my favorite though) I think thats what I really dislike about K-Pop, alot of the artists are so similar these days its hard for me to get into it because I feel it's not real and its just companies making a quick buck, and they all sound the same and unless they prove there longevity I don't pay them no mind, I've seen alot of groups come and go in the k-pop world. lol I remember around 2000 the whole lip syncing ordeal was big also in K-Pop and everyone had to prove they could really sing and perform live.

I'm more into the K-Hip Hop stuff then the K-Pop. I actually like the korean hip hop scene more then the Japanese Hip Hop stuff, Other then that I'm only checking for the likes of YG Artist, Seo Taiji, Drunken Tiger and the Movement artist and alot of the older artists that are still around. When I actually do listen to K-Pop it's all the old stuff.
Posted Image
Luck is like having a rice dumpling fly into your mouth.

#3 Rikku^^

Rikku^^

2nd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:34 AM

I thought this would go here perfectly. These days I'm liking K-pop even more,either because i watch to much Korean TV or because of the artist. Anywho I saw this MV on Pops in Seoul for about few weeks ago and fell in love with the song. This is now my favourite K-pop song ever and is sung by the beautiful and talented Baek Ji-Young:
The song is called -->Sarang An Hae<--,in english Love You Not. :D hope you enjoy,respond if you want! :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 boykun

boykun

たまねぎ!!

• Senpai
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:04 AM

a lot of Korean artists are breaking into the Japanese market, which is good. in my experience with Kpop, I saw that many of their major artists lean towards an R&B style nowdays. compared to when I listened to Kpop a couple years ago, when most artists were pop oriented. I guess the fans love R&B now, whereas Japanese fans love their pop. I do listen to some Kpop artists, but not nearly as much as Japanese music. its probably because I don't have a source for Korean music, but I think Japanese music is much more diverse and unique in style. there have been many creative Japanese artists coming up in the past couple months or so, especially from the indies scene. I think the shibuya-kei movement is starting to come back with new creative artists. as for breaking into the American market, I think Korean artists have a better chance, since the most popular styles in both countries are pretty similar. the artists trying to break into the American market should just come out and present their music, instead of presenting themselves and going "hey! I'm ASIAN!".

I do like some urban style music, but I prefer more diversity for my choice of music. right now I'm really getting into electro pop and weird/unique, shibuya-kei music more than before. like stuff from ENDLICHERI☆ENDLICHERI, Mondo Grosso, YUKI, SUPERCAR/post disband works(ex members, Furukawa Miki), Nobuchika Eri, and Cocco. stuff I really couldn't find outside from Jpop.
but of course, I'm always open to any kind of music. so, more insight on Kpop would be nice.
2001-2005 ..good days.. good times.

Posted Image
breakfast time . wallpaper.download

#5 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:29 AM

I use to listen to nothing but Kpop but then I got tired of it. It was all the same. Singers young as 12 coming out with solo CDs and boy band and girl groups popped out from everycorner. Most only lasted 1 album. The groups I use to listen to were HOT, SES, FinKL, Honey and I forgot the rest. They were ok when they first came out but then they all broke up, don't know about FinKL. So I just thought the whole Kpop scene was just a trend. And the record companies force their artiest to release their albums too early, making the quality of the music subpar. And korean music lack a rock scene.

I think korean music will make it big faster than Japanese music because theres lot of stations, like International Channel and others, that offer korean vids at times for them to watch. They play Japanese music like at 1am, noone is gonna stay up that late to watch some jpop vids. And if you wanted to buy kpop CDs they're like $12 or less, cheap for Americans to buy.

I do listen to some korean music, mostly K-Urban. Last kpop I checked out was i-13, the korean MM. None of the 13 girls can sing and some were way too young. And noone listens to Cpop haha

racequeen.jpg

#6 Rikku^^

Rikku^^

2nd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

Cpop I never listened to,wait doesn't TVXQ sing in chinese as well as in korean and japanese?! :huh Anywho I think japanese singers are much better,don't get me wrong. It's just that I think some korean songs are very nice listening to. Also like to add that the new Psy song 'we are the one'(kind of rock song) is quite catching.

So there are songs I can listen to,but these are only songs from different artists. While the japanese artists/group like Janne da Arc I can listen to almost every song the have recorded. :lol: And i also think that some korean groups like Super Junior has just come a long way because of their image,and maybe dancing. As to my conclution is that i can listen to kpop,but I listen even more to Jpop.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Shino

Shino

Domo-kun will eat YOU!!

• Senpai
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

...but it seems that with Korean popular music a more urban style or r&bish style is more popular than anything else

You got a point here. This "urban style or r&bish style" REALLY is more popular than anything else. I think korean artists have more chances of being a big hit on America because their style are closer to the american style than the japanese style is. Sure, Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi are big hits in Japan, but types like BoA and Bi(Rain) make much more sucess in America. It's like compare Celine Dion and... Madonna, I don't know. Their styles are differents. Just like japanese and korean music.

Particularly, I don't like k-pop because of this, because I think it look like american music. But this is taste, and we already discuss this on another thread. Actually, I'm more a j-rock type, but even in Japan j-rock isn't as popular as j-pop or, even maybe, k-pop.
I'm going to live all my life untame!

#8 Proto

Proto

Amiyakism Follower

• Shinmem
  • 1033 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

Back in the days when I first learnt about BoA, I listened to kpop. I have to admit that it wasn't a bad experience at all. However. I must say that Jpop has been much more, way more influential to me, at least. I've stopped listening to kpop for years now. Not that I dislike it, it just doesn't compare to jpop to me for some odd reasons. Perhaps the melody? the tune? the lyrics? I have no idea, I just don't like it as much =/
Posted Image

#9 Iamet

Iamet

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

I agree with everyone here about K-Pop, how it can be easier related to the US's music because they both share their love for R&B. As for me, I, too, used to listen to K-Pop, but as of right now, I'll still listen to it once in awhile. Though, I'm still leaning towards J-pop. I used to be so obsessed with DBSK... Aren't they still in business? I'll be happy to know if they still are!

A recommended song from K-Pop would be Tri-angle, a mega collaberation of DBSK, BoA, and Trax. Starts off with DBSK and their R&B, then BoA comes in later with a ballad, and Trax, being the Korean Linkin Park, brings in their awesome rock. And then it goes back to DBSK. I really like the live versions of this song, simply because the choreography is so cool to look at...*O*...
Posted Image

#10 Plague

Plague

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

~here is what I have to say [just j-pop...just]

~they really hit the spot of entertaniment, you know why?

(...WHY?)

~Its because of [Berryz Koubou]....and yeah its just [BK]
~They have great performances, but wait...I'm from the Philippines and I think I will try to research their translated lyrics. The original lyrics realy have the great power of pop.

~Try visiting this for more (or less) information :

http://www.freewebs....rryzportal.html

[Cute Connection?]
Posted Image
[freewebs.com/berryzportal][[email protected]][PGSM]

#11 kamegoo

kamegoo

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4517 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

hhegegege jpop forever..but i like BoA...atlantic princess!

i tried to sing t but its kinda hard,,,though i have korean and japanese claasmates..also chinese..

but atlast i did it..!my first korean song! :crying :lol:
3Y2YJ.png
cr: R/M & SweetHoney

#12 (AZN)animedude

(AZN)animedude

O__O

• Senpai
  • 2588 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:12 PM

j-pop: H!P...ayumi hamasaki, YUI, perfume, amane kaoru (sawajiri erika although i liked YUI's songs better :X), etc
k-pop: BoA, se7en

both IMO are equally as good...it's just that atm imo j-opo has more good people around...but k-pop still has it's "diamonds in the rough" per se
:P suddenly...azn's become a ZONE man XD

read mah blogs =D
and read mah reviews =D #2 on that list, and going up

#13 eddichigo

eddichigo

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

i just feel... kpop is an imitate of jpop....

no offend to ppl who like kpop.. just my personal thots... :unsure

#14 sailormari

sailormari

Spreading Mari goodness since 1998

• Senpai
  • 15428 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

j-pop: H!P...ayumi hamasaki, YUI, perfume, amane kaoru (sawajiri erika although i liked YUI's songs better :X), etc
k-pop: BoA, se7en

both IMO are equally as good...it's just that atm imo j-opo has more good people around...but k-pop still has it's "diamonds in the rough" per se

isnt S.E.S also K-pop too they are real pop or at least they were i think they may broke up
Grand Master Shogun SailorMari and part of the Mari Branch of W.H.O.A. (World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy)
Posted Image
voted Mari's Greatest Fan in the 2010 & 2011 Greatest Fan Awards...thanks to all who voted for me and thanks to Sprinklebuns♥Yutorin for siggy

#15 Himalia™

Himalia™

M-Line Purist

• Senpai
  • 14231 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

I dont mind K-pop but cant understand a word of it. I still like BoAs preformances though. I simply prefer J-pop though. Recently i downloaded some random videos to see if i could find something else to like. Sometimes i strike it lucky and find someone i end up really likeing but most of the time its a miss. Anyway i did download one preformance by Ayumi she was doing a cover of Cutie Honey. Started to watch it (not realising it was in Korean, i had no idea who she was)and i couldnt understand a word and was thinking WTF!. It then occured to me she was Korean but it has made me look alittle more in that direction now because the preformance was great to watch pity it was mimed though.

#16 zone_abunai

zone_abunai

• Kouhai
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

kpop comes nowhere close to jpop. yeah, there are few good korean music but other than that kpop is just total piece of crap that doesnt even deserved to be called music...nuff said

#17 eddichigo

eddichigo

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

kpop comes nowhere close to jpop. yeah, there are few good korean music but other than that kpop is just total piece of crap that doesnt even deserved to be called music...nuff said

hmm.. yea.. recently the kpop i came across are mostly one style.. that's onli r&b....

#18 hamster

hamster

10 Years & Counting

• Senpai
  • 1743 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

i agree with you on that zone_abunai, to me kpop is starting to die.

#19 eddichigo

eddichigo

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I'm not so sure bout kpop music... cuz i dun listen to it at all....

but i am sure of one thing.. korean dramas are damn HOT now!!... just dunno y every1 follows into that.. realli miss the japan dramas that were realli HOT years back.....

#20 Shino

Shino

Domo-kun will eat YOU!!

• Senpai
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

It was already said, but the only thing is that k-pop is so similar to american pop music, that if you love DBSK, why not to love NSYNC or the Backstreet Boys? They are the same! ::):

I mean, R&B is not my favorite style of music, and k-pop is just R&B. That's why k-pop makes more sucess in America, because it's like their own music.

I think when a person begins to listen to asian songs, he/she wants something different than western music. That's why I love j-pop and don't care about k-pop, because j-pop has a self identity, is different from western music, and I love this difference.
I'm going to live all my life untame!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users