• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CardCaptor

CardCaptor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone, I just wanted an opinion from you all (^.^). Between the PSP and the DS Lite, which one should a person buy? and why? (I want to buy one but I don't know which... People have there own thoughts and sugestions, please help me!... >.<).

#2 Tanakacchi

Tanakacchi

Never stop loving Reina! <3

• Shinmem
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hi everyone, I just wanted an opinion from you all (^.^). Between the PSP and the DS Lite, which one should a person buy? and why? (I want to buy one but I don't know which... People have there own thoughts and sugestions, please help me!... >.<).

PSP FTW!, u do more stuff with a PSP then a DS lite, but yeh its up 2 u which 1 u feel best for u, i got a PSP my self and i think it can do loads of stuff, from playing games to surfing the net, watching movies, listening 2 music and have pictures, so yeh, in my books i think PSP is better, not to sure about the DS lite tho, but i think its alright with the touch screen and all, but all they did with the LITE is change the buttons round, changed the colour and add more settings for brightness, not much on graphics and other things..and i think its better then the PSP aswell..
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image= This looked cute so i thought it would be nice for u Gaki-san fans to look at :)

#3 CardCaptor

CardCaptor

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

PSP FTW!, u do more stuff with a PSP then a DS lite, but yeh its up 2 u which 1 u feel best for u, i got a PSP my self and i think it can do loads of stuff, from playing games to surfing the net, watching movies, listening 2 music and have pictures, so yeh, in my books i think PSP is better, not to sure about the DS lite tho, but i think its alright with the touch screen and all, but all they did with the LITE is change the buttons round, changed the colour and add more settings for brightness, not much on graphics and other things..and i think its better then the PSP aswell..

Lol Tanakacchi-chan! Thanx for the reply! I'll keep that in mind. ^^

#4 yggg

yggg

Devourer of Spam

• Dai-Senpai
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

u can check some of the fun stuff they are doing at the PSP thread

for me I own one and would strongly recommend it over the DS (think of it as a Video iPod that can be used to play games too :lol:)
ZONE is only good at one thing... that is, making music :)

#5 qx123

qx123

Five Tiger Generals

• Dai-Senpai
  • 1585 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

PSP XD because its sony~ ok i am biased ::lol::

#6 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

PSP, though I'm biased as well. I have both an ancient (1.5 fw) and new (2.0+ish) firmware version - one for doing homebrew (which I need to get off my buttocks and start workin on) and the other for new games and media.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say the DS has a *slightly* better screen because the PSP has really bad ghosting problems when playing vids (especially at 30fps, you can see trails at times).

That all said though, lately I've racked more time on my DS because of two games - Brainage and Metroid:Hunters.

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#7 Blaice

Blaice

3rd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:52 PM

LOL nyekobug & qx123 go post in the PSP post you're both biased :c06:

go for the one that you would like
PSP - multimedia platform
+movies, music, pictures
+better screen quality
+homebrew posibilities
-extremely expensief, the multimedia platform is useless unless you get a 1 gig stick minimum
-regional, cant play other regions (unless you have the first few PSP release)
-homebrew only with 1.5 (possible reintroduction with 3.0)

DS - pure gaming
*more/better games (backward compatability)
*touchscreen & stylus > new/different gameplay
*fully online capabilities (multiplayer games)
-less graphic
-no multimedia possibilities

go check the games that you like to play, what games/movies/music options do you prefer, than deside

i have both, and both have there advantages and disadvantages
BUT BOTH WILL HAVE NEW FINAL FANTASY :w00t!:
Semper Fi
Black Ice / Blaice
~=*安倍なつみ*^- & -^*安倍麻美*=~

#8 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:44 AM

LOL nyekobug & qx123 go post in the PSP post you're both biased :c06:

go for the one that you would like
PSP - multimedia platform
+movies, music, pictures
+better screen quality
+homebrew posibilities
-extremely expensief, the multimedia platform is useless unless you get a 1 gig stick minimum
-regional, cant play other regions (unless you have the first few PSP release)
-homebrew only with 1.5 (possible reintroduction with 3.0)

DS - pure gaming
*more/better games (backward compatability)
*touchscreen & stylus > new/different gameplay
*fully online capabilities (multiplayer games)
-less graphic
-no multimedia possibilities

go check the games that you like to play, what games/movies/music options do you prefer, than deside

i have both, and both have there advantages and disadvantages
BUT BOTH WILL HAVE NEW FINAL FANTASY :w00t!:

Hey Blaice

Heh, I have to correct you on two things-

PSP is not region-coded for games. I have a 2.0+ FW PSP, and I also own Boku no Watashi no Katamari Damashii, and it plays well. You also forgot to include the microphone for the DS, which adds to interesting gameplay (something like Battle Action Lawyer something where you yell OBJECTION at the DS, and Brainage - which uses the mic for things like voice calculations).

I will admit that though the stylus makes for interesting "new" gameplay, it has it's drawbacks depending on the implementation. For example, the original release of Metroid prime:Hunters used the stylus as a click-to-shoot-at-something, which made it extremely awkward since you're obscuring the playfield with your fingers and stylus. The current implementation of Hunters uses the stylus on the lower screen to act as the "mouse" for aiming, and you use the L trigger for firing. Other example - Brainage - it's all stylus controlled, but due to the handwriting recognition software, it often confuses the way I write numbers with other ones.

That said, I like my DS for the games on it, and I like my PSP for the games on it. Though I haven't played either in a couple weeks since I got sucked into GRAW.

-nyekobug
1.95TB uploaded!!!! \^.^/ Unofficially in charge of the HM2000 reseed project. My favorites: infidelguy.com, Digitally Imported FM (my playlist), 2 the Ranting Gryphon and Opie and Anthony. Visit the 塊魂 (Katamari Damashii) message board too!

Server is offline pretty much indefinately for filesharing. Sakura beats my share ratio :(

#9 Blaice

Blaice

3rd gen member

• Shinmem
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:57 AM

Hey Blaice

Heh, I have to correct you on two things-

PSP is not region-coded for games. I have a 2.0+ FW PSP, and I also own Boku no Watashi no Katamari Damashii, and it plays well. You also forgot to include the microphone for the DS, which adds to interesting gameplay (something like Battle Action Lawyer something where you yell OBJECTION at the DS, and Brainage - which uses the mic for things like voice calculations).

I will admit that though the stylus makes for interesting "new" gameplay, it has it's drawbacks depending on the implementation. For example, the original release of Metroid prime:Hunters used the stylus as a click-to-shoot-at-something, which made it extremely awkward since you're obscuring the playfield with your fingers and stylus. The current implementation of Hunters uses the stylus on the lower screen to act as the "mouse" for aiming, and you use the L trigger for firing. Other example - Brainage - it's all stylus controlled, but due to the handwriting recognition software, it often confuses the way I write numbers with other ones.

That said, I like my DS for the games on it, and I like my PSP for the games on it. Though I haven't played either in a couple weeks since I got sucked into GRAW.

-nyekobug

PSP has its own microphone expansion although there are only 2 games with it for the moment
you're right about regional but PSP are regional for UMD movies
i have hunters too with the L for firing and stylus to move which is perfect, love the multiplayer
ofcourse the stylus isnt always an improvement it all depends on the game
but thanks for the point-out
BUT YOU'RE STILL BIASED =P
Semper Fi
Black Ice / Blaice
~=*安倍なつみ*^- & -^*安倍麻美*=~

#10 nyekobug

nyekobug

nyekobooger

• Senpai
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:22 AM

PSP has its own microphone expansion although there are only 2 games with it for the moment
you're right about regional but PSP are regional for UMD movies
i have hunters too with the L for firing and stylus to move which is perfect, love the multiplayer
ofcourse the stylus isnt always an improvement it all depends on the game
but thanks for the point-out
BUT YOU'RE STILL BIASED =P

True true, but I think the mic. expansion for the psp is mainly for multiplayer chat (i.e. SOCOM).

Heh, and yes, I am biased. XD I still love 'em both :)

-nyekobug

#11 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:54 PM

Izu's short reply.
hm, psp - i use it for music & video (haven't found any game worthy), ds - gaming.. full-time.. multiplay etc.. :c33: (ps. fun fun games, for serious types, i prefer the big brother.. i.e. ps2/pc etc.)

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル
RI.DIU.SU,, RI.YU.SU,, RI.SA.I.KU.RU

p/s. AKB48 is Shmexy~ aRr~ >:] *ebil*

°-°Izu°-°

Amoz-senpai's Guide to Quoting/Editing
FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
updated: August 2007

#12 bolivar

bolivar

5th gen member

• Uploader
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

I actually choose both!

I used to hate DS cos its bulky & the brightness is dim. Now with DS lite, I would prefer the latter cos its more portable. Whereas PSP is good for as an entertainment device for MP3s & mp4 & so on.

U can't really compare both cos they got different functions. Some ppl prefer DS games & some PSP. For my preference, i prefer PSP cos its alike PS2 games plus its compatibilty with future PS3, my dream console.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 sejl

sejl

REAL MUSIC

• Shinmem
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:01 AM

PSP because it more versatile, games, video, music, photos, enough said

#14 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

..heh, can't wait to play the re-new'd version of the classic mario game, with better/cuter graphics, and new power-ups, enemies.. and of course the 2 player co-op mode.. :XD:

hey hey hey, what can i say, i grew up with mario & sonic.. 2 games that brushed up my platform skillz.. hehehe.. :blink:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#15 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

since i have both of them i put in my two cents. They're both good but i have play/use the ds more than the psp.

The ds just have better games and everyone don't need to have the game to play, i think guilty gear everyone needs to have it. Plus u can buy flash memory adapter so u can play all you GBA roms and stuff. Plus u can play music and videos as well. But the the sound/visual guality of the psp though.

The psp is good because lots of games but they're all ports. And if u buy psp now its a waste of money. With the firmware updates u can't play downloaded psp games. U can only do that with 1.5 and 2.0 firmwares. U can now play wifi SNES games with 1.5! 2.0 is okay because u can downgrade it back to 1.5.

verdict - get the ds, a psp is just a computer with out the keyboard. if u have a laptop, u don't need psp

racequeen.jpg

#16 Scepter

Scepter

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

I'm between these two: Lite looks and feels awesome but PSP is pretty decent aswell. I'm about to to either one next week or so.

Pros:

PSP:
- A couple of cool action games that I'd like to play
- Video
- MP3
- Region free
- Decent graphics

Lite:
- Looks awesome!
- Interesting games (that are reasonably priced, btw!)
- homebrew (SNES, NES, scummv...)
- Video
- MP3
- Price
- Touchscreen

Cons:

PSP:
- Pretty expensive... ~300€ for a giga pack :F
- Expensive games
- Doesn't have any killer-apps/must-have games
- Video: I really don't want to watch a movie from a 4.5-inch screen
- Too big to fit into my pockets
- Scratches easily
- No modding

Lite:
- Gotta buy the memory card reader (~20€)
- Most of the interesting games are first released in Japan (=gotta order throu air mail), then possibly in Europe

_______
So for now I'll prolly go for DS Lite. I've never been a fan of either company btw. ^_^
Risa Recommends:http://www.denness.net/scrobblersig/username/Citadel/labelcolor/6666FF/trackcolor/000000/backgroundcolor/#EEF1F6/backgroundtransparent/0.png
Posted Image
Yo. Please support my band :)

#17 yots

yots

4th gen member

• Senpai
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

199€ for the standard pack.. and 1giga memory card on ebay is less than 35/40euro (if you need it... if you are not interested in video as you said... a 256/512 it's enough.. and these MS are avery cheap :lol:)

#18 toxic025

toxic025

Haterz!Online

• Senpai
  • 8026 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:31 AM

Cons:

PSP:
- Expensive games
- Doesn't have any killer-apps/must-have games
- Video: I really don't want to watch a movie from a 4.5-inch screen
- Too big to fit into my pockets
- Scratches easily
- No modding

Lite:
- Gotta buy the memory card reader (~20€)
- Most of the interesting games are first released in Japan (=gotta order throu air mail), then possibly in Europe

_______
So for now I'll prolly go for DS Lite. I've never been a fan of either company btw. :lol:

u forgot to that psp has short battery life. About 3hrs for games play and and maybe longer for movies.

for the ds lite all the games may come from japan but it is atleast region free

racequeen.jpg

#19 MOGXIII

MOGXIII

Sleeping Member

• Senpai
  • 2197 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

u forgot to that psp has short battery life. About 3hrs for games play and and maybe longer for movies.

if u have extra cash, grab the extra battery packs or those "extended" batteries that let it run for 5 hours etc. of course make sure that u get stuff from brands that u trust.. :wink:

°-°Izu°-°

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
リデュース 、 リユース 、 リサイクル

°-°Izu°-°

FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES

#20 'Guin

'Guin

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

for the ds lite all the games may come from japan but it is atleast region free

Depends on the game, actually, and the battery life is 4-6. Considering what you get for those 4 to 6 hours I'd say it's perfectly acceptable. Further, add in the fact that you can play while charging (in a car or at home for that matter) and I don't really see the point of bringing up battery life.

The PSP is also region free, heh. I play JPN games on my beautiful, untainted 1.5f just fine thank you very much. :lol:

I say, ignore all the "pros" and "cons" you see and pick the hardware that has the -games- you want to play. That's what any smart consumer would do anyway.

I, personally, have both.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
PEN'Guin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users