One and Only

3rd gen member

• Banned
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

I want my Japanese to be as accurate as possible

I'd like to start w/ 1 line from my favorite song

そうね どっか余裕感じてる私

The line seems to say 'I feel like I've got more time (to spare) now / I'm feeling more flexible in some respects (because I can afford it / got enough leeway to spare)' but I think the implication is: she's winded down / settled down and isn't in such a hurry to chatter nonstop anymore

Not sure what's the best way to describe the line w/ all that in mind

#2 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

Personally I think she's a bit down because the other person doesn't tell/show her enough how much they love her. 

It's important to remember the line just before, "なんか しゃべり方も変わったみたい", "somehow, it's like the way I talk has changed". 

She's nervous, but she also knows what she wants, so maybe that's what she can "afford" or "spend" so she doesn't have to hold back on her words -> her way of talking has changed. 

And to continue from the Morning Musume thread...

言い過ぎた日も -> even the day when I said too much

It doesn't mean the amount of words that she has said, but in the sense of "oh no I said too much! now the secret is out". I think she doesn't want to talk too much about her true feelings but on some days the words just blurt out. 

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#3 cunning

cunning

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:01 AM

Great thread idea! 

I think translating song lyrics might not be the best way to learn Japanese in most cases. Sometimes listening to songs, the lyrics can sound a bit stilted if you think about them in the context of someone saying it in regular conversation. It is a really great way to learn Kanji and vocabulary though. 

What kind of tools is everyone using to learn Japanese? 

While I'm in this thread, I wanted to bring up a lyric from a Tsubaki Factory song. Actually I did a video about translation where this is one of the talking points. The song is 低温やけどhere's the lyric:

いたく熟れたイルミネーション

The "official" translation on the youtube video has it translated as "Severely ripe illuminations" which makes no sense. It's definitely a weird lyric, I've never heard the word "熟れた" used in the context of anything but fruit. I interpreted as "Christmas lights so bright they hurt my eyes" but that is going off of the idea that "熟れた” can somehow be translated as "Bright" - I've also seen it meaning "mellow" in online dictionaries but have never heard it used that way. Also it technically doesn't mention eyes anywhere so it's a loose interpretation for sure. What are your guys' thoughts?

Officially a KSS unit stan

Fan of H!P since 2006 💖

#4 One and Only

One and Only

3rd gen member

• Banned
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

I'll try to put 'afford' in the line. Thank you for replyin'. (^^)

I mainly use online Japanese-English dictionaries to translate songs

Literally, 'Severely ripe illuminations' is right but it didn't carry over into English well. Mellow may be good. Extremely mellow (colored) lights. I don't think 'proficient' would work there

Somethin' I wanted to note

For example, 笑顔

It can basically be translated as 'smile' or 'grin'. If there's no context to rely on (in this case, there isn't), how does a person decide what it means?

I chose 'Bright smile' (The reason is below)

Which leads to another point

I've only seen '笑顔' translated as 'bright smile' @ 1 place. The MV for 'You bright smile is like the sunshine'

The closest I've seen is 'beaming face'

Why is that?

And for 内緒, I feel like 'seclusion' or 'privacy' would be better than 'secrets' simply cos I don't think I should keep secrets

But is it supposed to be 'secrets'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users