#1 buttazone

buttazone

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

b7LoPlf.pngUHQSE4Qm.png

yPDJeA2l.jpg

Oyasumi Hologram ("Oyaholo") is an underground alternative idol duo formed in 2014. They have appeared on stage alongside Bellring Girls Heart, Have a Nice Day!, VMO, and live several live bands. Their releases have explored various genres including lo-fi, garage, and electronic.

Members

yNZmb2im.jpg

Hachigatsu-Chan ("Ms. August")

• Always happy, likes Lamborghinis
  • Often seen with green hair and her plush sea turtle pal Seataro
  • Paints and creates art
  • Member of rap collaborations 8mm and 8x8x8

Twitter: @8gatsu_chan
Instagram: 8gatsu_chan

PgSv7C5m.jpg

Kanamil

• Pink hair & trademark pointy tooth
  • Runs through the crowd with a cowbell
  • Stage dives & spits water on the audience
  • Performs as "We Speak Your Words" with OYSM's manager Ogawa Kouchi

Twitter: @kyanamil

Instagram: kynamil

Former Members

• Sayuko Nano
  • Matsumoto Yayoi
  • Tajima Haruko

Selected Releases

• Machine Songs (2014) - mini-album
  • OYSM (2015) - full-length with re-records from Machine Songs
  • Emerald (2015, 2016) - maxi-single EP collaboration with Have a Nice Day!
  • 2 (2016) - full-length, moving towards a more electronic sound
  • ... (2016) - full-length
  • 0413 (2017) - acoustic live album

Selected Videos

誰かの庭

Emerald (live w/ Have a Nice Day!)

MOSHPIT documentary (feat. Oyasumi Hologram, Nature Danger Gang, Have a Nice Day!)

Drifter

Neuromancer

Links

Official Website

Official Twitter: @oysm_hologram

Official Youtube

wxMtU0Gl.jpg

Ok! There! It was absolutely criminal that Oyasumi Hologram didn't have their own thread. Let the love-in begin.

#2 TotallyUncool

TotallyUncool

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I agree, and thanks for reminding me that I need to spend some time giving them an in-depth listen - I like what I've heard, but they deserve a lot more attention than just casual listening!

Neither Heaven nor sky above,
neither Hell nor earth below.

#3 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

It's probably too late by now since nobody uses this site anymore since they can't use it to access the tracker lol. Nice to see them with a thread though Oyasumi Hologram is one of my favourite idol groups since discovering them accidentally when they opened a Bellring Shojou Heart show I went to in 2015. Quite a versatile group they do a variety of live styles, their electronic DJ sound,full band rock lives,acoustic sit down lives and each one has it's own charm. The two of them as a duo remind me a lot of early Puffy, their voices and personalities fit together well and you get the feeling of two best friends playing shows and making music together. They produce some awesome merch for their shows too I have too many of their t shirts because they come out with awesome new designs I have to buy. 

They are often found performing in Shimokitazawa not sure if that's their home base in general but that place suits their sound and style, it's a stylish young neighbourhood with a lot of retro fashion stores and thrift stores,bars,venues and clubs. Kanamiru and Hachigatsu-chan are two of the friendliest and approachable idols out there, for those who speak English but little Japanese Ms.August is a good choice for cheki since she can speak a basic conversational level of English and is extremely sweet. 

Here they are performing my favourite song on their third album called "Midday Dance", this is one of their full band lives 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#4 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

Quite a versatile group they do a variety of live styles, their electronic DJ sound,full band rock lives,acoustic sit down lives and each one has it's own charm. 

They seem to be doing more and more shows with a live band these days, making me wonder if they might be trying to get away from the 'idol' tag? I've actually yet to see them with the band - that will be rectified next month - but watching a couple of those shows online their audience still seems to be mainly from the idol scene. 

They produce some awesome merch for their shows too I have too many of their t shirts because they come out with awesome new designs I have to buy. 

Haha, I only have 5! :lol: Though in my defence 2 of those did come with their albums, 2 I picked up cheap from Y!A, and the other is the logo shirt. Hopefully they won't have come up with an irresistable design by the next time I see them!

Kanamiru and Hachigatsu-chan are two of the friendliest and approachable idols out there, for those who speak English but little Japanese Ms.August is a good choice for cheki since she can speak a basic conversational level of English and is extremely sweet. 

Since I don't do the cheki/ after-show nonsense, I'll have to catch Hachigatsu-chan (thanks for the tip-off about her English) in a different context; if I was still organising shows in Japan I would definitely have booked them, and so gotten a chance to meet them.

I must admit the first couple of times I saw them they were terrible, but I got a big surprise this time last year when they suddenly (well, it was probably 6 months later) seemed to have gotten a lot better, and they're currently one of my favourite groups; I'm even pondering catching their 'one-man' at WWW on the 28th before heading over to Loft for Halloween Ball later in the evening, but I'm not sure it's really my kind of event what with the 'open' time 2½ hours before the 'start' time (what's with that?!) and with them probably playing for at least a couple of hours...frankly I'm happier with about 40 minutes, even for those groups I love most.

#5 buttazone

buttazone

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

I'm glad to see there's love for OYSM on this site, so now I can tell you about my ulterior motive for creating this thread ^_^

I'm crowdfunding a translator to create English subtitles for the MOSHPIT documentary mentioned above. We just passed the 50% mark on the fundraising goal tonight! You might remember we used the same method to make subtitles for two BiS documentaries in the past. You can contribute to the campaign here if you're interested!

#6 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

Quite a versatile group they do a variety of live styles, their electronic DJ sound,full band rock lives,acoustic sit down lives and each one has it's own charm. 

They seem to be doing more and more shows with a live band these days, making me wonder if they might be trying to get away from the 'idol' tag? I've actually yet to see them with the band - that will be rectified next month - but watching a couple of those shows online their audience still seems to be mainly from the idol scene. 

They produce some awesome merch for their shows too I have too many of their t shirts because they come out with awesome new designs I have to buy. 

Haha, I only have 5! :lol: Though in my defence 2 of those did come with their albums, 2 I picked up cheap from Y!A, and the other is the logo shirt. Hopefully they won't have come up with an irresistable design by the next time I see them!

Kanamiru and Hachigatsu-chan are two of the friendliest and approachable idols out there, for those who speak English but little Japanese Ms.August is a good choice for cheki since she can speak a basic conversational level of English and is extremely sweet. 

Since I don't do the cheki/ after-show nonsense, I'll have to catch Hachigatsu-chan (thanks for the tip-off about her English) in a different context; if I was still organising shows in Japan I would definitely have booked them, and so gotten a chance to meet them.

I must admit the first couple of times I saw them they were terrible, but I got a big surprise this time last year when they suddenly (well, it was probably 6 months later) seemed to have gotten a lot better, and they're currently one of my favourite groups; I'm even pondering catching their 'one-man' at WWW on the 28th before heading over to Loft for Halloween Ball later in the evening, but I'm not sure it's really my kind of event what with the 'open' time 2½ hours before the 'start' time (what's with that?!) and with them probably playing for at least a couple of hours...frankly I'm happier with about 40 minutes, even for those groups I love most.

I think most idol groups are kinda rough around the edges performance wise at first, some people find that bad and I can understand but I just found that amateur nature endearing. They had issues with their singing ability etc and it was always a bit all over the place but they were working hard to put on a good show for everyone. They've worked at it and performed in many different settings so improvement was bound to happen. Not sure what they have on for that WWW show but if it's for Halloween then they might have some sort of event on before the show or they are running one of their fan swap meets again who knows. I kinda like those it's a chance to get to know some of their regular fans and check out cool things they make to sell like custom t shirts,anime drawings and other bits. 

I think the band shows have been going on for a while but it's become sort of more trendy for idols to play with a backing band in the last year or two so everyone is doing it more. They still mix up their styles though, they have a regular acoustic slot in Shimokitazawa which are a really nice intimate sit down and enjoy kind of event. The room is really small so it's nice just to be near them and watch them sing. Not sure if they are doing one thing more than any other. There is pretty much a divide among fans which style they like best so for their next release I think they said they are doing a CD of band music and a CD of the more electronic dancey stuff so fans can have either one they like or both lol. I doubt they'll ever try to move too far away from being idols, most of the fans are still wota even if they are more of the arty side and tend to play shows with bands as much as they play with idols. I think one thing they did do though is they prefer doing their own thing so they do more of their own one man shows or shows they organised themselves rather than constantly play the Tokyo circuit of multi idol group shows like they maybe used to do more while gathering a following. They've become popular enough to at least have some freedom in what they do. 

What's wrong with cheki? lol. I kinda like that just to have a record of shows I've been to and you can get a chance to say a few things which is fun. I don't know anyone idol wise or Japanese live house scene who knows them personally so I don't have the chance to talk to them outside of that lol. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#7 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

TEAM TAKECHAN

#8 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:57 AM

they have a regular acoustic slot in Shimokitazawa which are a really nice intimate sit down and enjoy kind of event. The room is really small so it's nice just to be near them and watch them sing.

Yeah, they did a lunchtime one when I was last over, but as I was seeing them the same evening doing a regular performance at Loft I gave it a pass. And I had to cancel my planned summer trip when I could have seen them at Laguna.

I doubt they'll ever try to move too far away from being idols

I dunno...as they get older and maybe want the group to be taken more 'seriously'? I guess it depends on how much life OYSM have. As you say, their shows are pretty much split 50/50 between idol events and gigs so they have the best of both worlds, but I could envisage them leaving the idol scene behind.

What's wrong with cheki? lol. I kinda like that just to have a record of shows I've been to and you can get a chance to say a few things which is fun. I don't know anyone idol wise or Japanese live house scene who knows them personally so I don't have the chance to talk to them outside of that lol. 

Nothing wrong with cheki, I guess, if everyone enjoys it, and actually it's a means of survival for a lot of idols and as such at least it's preferable to 'handshakes'(ugh!). But it's not for me...I hate posing for photos, for one thing.

I believe Hachigatsu-chan runs (or works at?) the Art Space Beuna Bar, so I guess one might be able to meet her there? She strikes me as someone one could probably have a 'proper' conversation with, by which I mean talk seriously about stuff rather than as fan-to-idol, but while I personally know quite a lot of bands, like you, I don't know anyone who knows them.

#9 Moklar

Moklar

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

^ stop being a damn hipster for once.

I really like some OH songs they are really good but then again I loathe their electronic songs they are terrible - I like diversity but I feel like they are never going to get more popular if they don't stick a more defined style or at least do a 70-30 split.

#10 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, they did a lunchtime one when I was last over, but as I was seeing them the same evening doing a regular performance at Loft I gave it a pass. And I had to cancel my planned summer trip when I could have seen them at Laguna.

I dunno...as they get older and maybe want the group to be taken more 'seriously'? I guess it depends on how much life OYSM have. As you say, their shows are pretty much split 50/50 between idol events and gigs so they have the best of both worlds, but I could envisage them leaving the idol scene behind.

They'd probably alienate the vast majority of their audience either way if they tried to not be idols and do everything super seriously. I'm not really sure how they'd make that transition compared to what they are doing now except to never play with other idols even the more arty type ones they often play with like Avandoned and Maison Book Girl and then never do cheki etc. They already play with bands like we were talking about and do gigs where they are pretty much the only idol thing on the list, after they get done it seems like a massive chunk of people just go for a smoke or to get a drink while they wait for the bands to finish and the buppan to open for OYSM so it shows their interests are more in them than in music per say. As for lifespan who knows, I've seen groups I thought were doing fine collapse suddenly and groups I felt would fail go on for several more years lol. They've kept growing so I guess at least that's a good sign but it only takes one of them to decide on a new venture or to have a family to throw a spanner in the works. They do at least seem to have the freedom to explore within the group though and both members have experimented with other music and different things outside of OYSM so maybe it's enough for them. 

Nothing wrong with cheki, I guess, if everyone enjoys it, and actually it's a means of survival for a lot of idols and as such at least it's preferable to 'handshakes'(ugh!). But it's not for me...I hate posing for photos, for one thing.

I hate posing for photos too lol, it's just a nice memory to have even if most of my cheki I look horrible in I think I've slowly started just getting cheki of only them in it with a pose I choose that they can sign because I always look uncomfortable in them. I just figure if I already have the t shirts,CD's and everything else they are selling then I might as well just buy cheki so I can give them something and show my appreciation. 

I believe Hachigatsu-chan runs (or works at?) the Art Space Beuna Bar, so I guess one might be able to meet her there? She strikes me as someone one could probably have a 'proper' conversation with, by which I mean talk seriously about stuff rather than as fan-to-idol, but while I personally know quite a lot of bands, like you, I don't know anyone who knows them.

No idea what her day job actually is. I know she's pretty active in the whole art scene in general but never ran into her anywhere like that. I've been to places idols work at before with others but I always feel a bit weird unless I was introduced to them before lol. Lots of fans do it and I'm sure owners don't mind the business it brings in but I feel like a bit of a creeper tracking them down and going to their workplace to talk to them. I've met idols outside of shows or work but only in cases where we had a mutual friend who introduced me and then they invited me to hangout. I'm sure 8gatsu already gets plenty of fanboys trying to befriend her lol. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#11 buttazone

buttazone

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

8gatsu-chan did work at Bar Buena at least at some point. Even as of this video from 2015, it says they're doing 20 shows a month. These days I bet Oyasumi Hologram is full time work!

Worth watching the video for more than just proof of her employment. It's a bummer "Buena TV" only ever did this one video :P

Oh and also, the subtitling project for the MOSHPIT film has reached 100% of its fundraiser goal. The translator is already done 20% of the first disc :D

#12 wattstax

wattstax

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hachi should still be working at Buena. Though she only appears on specific days, announced on her twitter even. Her english is quite good. She probably got motivation from her contacts in the art scene.

I also must say, that after their first album their music began to bore me. Too much electronica. When I first saw them, it was at Loft Bar for an acoustic set and it impressed me right away. I found their voices being in good harmony. Never had issues with it. The band sets are also great. Here Kanami excels and the music is more rockish and wild. Nowadays I only meet them if they happen to perform with other idols, which they rarely do. Would have considered the One Man though, but it will be two weeks too early for me.

Btw, for me chekis are part of any idol live. And I need to be in them, however terrible my pose may be. It is a nice personal memory.
Also asiamiles, how can you prefer short sets over a whole live of your favourite groups? I don't get it, as I favour One Mans above all.

Favourite Idol: Yanagisawa Ayano
Favourite Groups: BELLRING Girls Heart affiliates, PASSPO, Party Rockets GT

#13 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

I wonder what her motivation was, I asked her once about if she studied English and she said she had a bit. Asked her what made her want to learn and she just seemed to be like "I dunno just seemed fun" or something lol. 

Kanamiru's English is much like my Japanese, she seems to know quite a few individual words but can't figure out how to make sentences or understand the grammar so she just says individual words that sort of fit together lol. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#14 wattstax

wattstax

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

Hm, Hachigatsu actually mentioned that learning English is fun. Took that as a joke of her. Seems not like it. You should ask her next time, how intense she is studying Chinese though. She tweets in that language once in a while.
With Kanamiru I stayed in Japanese although it is similar to her English skills. But I am always surprised how sweet she is opposed to her stage craziness.

#15 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

Btw, for me chekis are part of any idol live. And I need to be in them, however terrible my pose may be. It is a nice personal memory.
Also asiamiles, how can you prefer short sets over a whole live of your favourite groups? I don't get it, as I favour One Mans above all.

For me the thing that's important about a live show is the performance. I rarely want to interact with the performers. This generally goes for bands as well - not just idols - who, of course, you can just go and talk to at just about any live show...it may be a bit less so than say in the UK, but generally I find musicians only good company for other musicians, so I while I know many I don't tend to hang out with them.

I've always liked short sets that make an impact and leave you wanting more. I mean, a roughly 40 minute long LP is about the maximum I want to listen to one band - personally I prefer mini-albums - so I can translate that to a live performance. In the UK or US where the majority of shows are one act plus a support or two, a set will tend to last 40 minutes absolute minimum, but in Japan where multi-group shows are the norm the average set is more like 25 minutes, which I think is great! I generally don't like to see too many acts at one show...four or five max; I don't even consider those idol shows where you have lots of groups performing for 10 mins each - that's too short to even get into them - but a 'one-man' live is not very appealing to me either! ^^;

I see they have an acoustic live at the beginning of November, so I will have the opportunity to see them in that context and with a band...both new to me. Hopefully I can catch a regular performance as well during my stay.

#16 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:35 AM

Hm, Hachigatsu actually mentioned that learning English is fun. Took that as a joke of her. Seems not like it. You should ask her next time, how intense she is studying Chinese though. She tweets in that language once in a while.
With Kanamiru I stayed in Japanese although it is similar to her English skills. But I am always surprised how sweet she is opposed to her stage craziness.

I guess they leave the craziness onstage, Kanamiru likes to dash around,jump off stuff and pose for photos but yeah offstage she seems more quiet and reserved  just smiling constantly. At one of the acoustic shows it was really funny because they set up the whole cheki area next to the buppan table because Laguna is tiny so she's stood right behind me when I'm buying CD's and cheki tickets. When I saw her for cheki she's like "You bought my CD right?" (her solo CD) and when I told her I did and was going to play it when I get home she was just so happy about it. The two of them have that about them really I always went away from meeting them feeling like it means something to them and that they are just very sweet girls. 

Will have to ask 8gatsu about Chinese. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#17 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

I guess they leave the craziness onstage

Seems fairly common. The crazier someone is on stage, the more they tend to be quite reserved and genial folk off stage. I used to get some pretty wild acts playing some of my shows and they were always the most supportive, reliable and enthusiastic.

I honestly don't know what set-up they have but I'm guessing the OYSM girls pretty much do what they want to do because they enjoy it and are not being pressured all the time by some money hungry management.

#18 wattstax

wattstax

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

I always assumed that Ogawa wanted some opportunity to expose his music to a wider audience and therefore uses the idol concept, without treating it like idol at all, more like a band thing. This becomes most obvious to me through the choreographies on stage - as there is none. So refreshing. Just people on stage who enjoy the moment.

Thanks for answer, asiamiles. I understand your viewpoint better now. Makes me then quite of the opposite. Long sets are my fave. At least one hour. Also getting in contact with the band was always my wish, as in my case I enjoy the music even more when I know the performers and they know me. It is why idol became such a revelation to me. I am much more emotionally involved.
I agree on this super long festivals with big amount of groups. It often lasts too long or the groups you prefer are performing with a long gap in between. OyaHolo mostly does small ones with like 5 groups. These are the most perfect. I wish they would perform with less strange bands though.

What about those solo cds actually? Wasn't it just OyaHolo songs performed by just one member?

#19 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

The solo CD's are kind of an oddity, it seems like they just had them play around in the studio making sounds with very little actual singing. It's quite entertaining though. 8gatsu's is like an ambient experimental sound thing more than anything else I forget if she sings on it. Kanamiru explores all sorts of stuff from ambient,noise,electronica to indie rock. The final track is the real treat though it's this long instrumental played on piano with some xylophone,triangle,cymbals thrown in there and it's beautiful. The tracklist is here https://imgur.com/a/P9HD6

If you have the chance I recommend picking them up just to hear them exploring some different music. I guess with the producer they have not being an idol producer they have the benefit of not being put in boxes of being a certain character to appeal to wota but could just explore on their own who they are. Has some weaknesses though because he tends to not think like a manager or producer so probably doesn't protect his talent as well as he should. Independence is fine but you should handle business when it needs to be handled. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#20 buttazone

buttazone

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

The solo CD's are kind of an oddity, it seems like they just had them play around in the studio making sounds with very little actual singing. It's quite entertaining though. 8gatsu's is like an ambient experimental sound thing more than anything else I forget if she sings on it. Kanamiru explores all sorts of stuff from ambient,noise,electronica to indie rock. The final track is the real treat though it's this long instrumental played on piano with some xylophone,triangle,cymbals thrown in there and it's beautiful. The tracklist is here https://imgur.com/a/P9HD6

Oh woah, that's different from the "Kanamil Works 1 & 2" album that's available on iTunes (Hachigatsu-chan has one on there as well)

I hope I get a chance to hear those other solo CDs, even if they might be the kind of thing I play once or twice and then forget about :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users