Photo

How do H!P graduates transition into society?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

Most likely the responses here will be speculative, but if anyone has any true insight I'd love to know how our idols can actually leave the industry and work in a public setting without being confronted (perhaps harassed) by fans.  I was just reminded today that Momoko Tsugunaga is officially leaving the industry this year to be a school teacher.  I'm guessing it would be for children (if it was college then I'll sign up for a course lol) but even then you could have some parents of the kids be former Berryz fans.  Can you just imagine that??!  Having a serious parent / teacher conference with MOMOKO about your child??? LOL... 

I'm sure the same question could be asked of any celebrity that has left the scene but typically those didn't have thousands of crazy wottas dying for an opportunity to see/touch them, etc.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#2 zeroyon

zeroyon

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1376 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

I'm sure the situation with each member is different, so it's hard to sum up in one way... I know that many former members still stayed on the payroll of UFP even though they technically graduated from their group, and would do occasional TV variety shows and random events. Some members separate from UFP entirely. It's a case-by-case basis.

For Momoko... did she announce which school she will be teaching at? (I'm guessing not)?

It will most likely be at a private school where they interview and do background checks on the parents before they accept their kids into their school.

I won't be surprised if Momoko ends up teaching at Horikoshi or Hinode. Most H!P members are currently at or are alumni of Hinode Middle School and High School, and UpFront has a close relationship with that school... so I bet she likely already has a job lined up at Hinode. That school has special classes for Idols, and a very strict vetting process for students. For example, when Airi went to Hinode, her classmates consisted of members from Idoling, Momoclo, AKB48, Paspo, and some other groups.

As for how to "not be harassed by fans"... I guess that also depends on what line of work they end up getting.

For example, Konno Asami is a TV news host (focused mainly on sports) for TV Tokyo, so she doesn't interact with the public that much during her work.

On the other hand, by chance, I ran into Kosuga Fuyuka (former S/mileage / ANGERME member) who was working as front-desk check-in staff at a public onsen in the Tokyo area in late 2014. That is obviously a very public-facing job. She even had her name, "小数賀芙由香" on her nametag pinned on her staff outfit.

I asked her if she had been bothered by wotas during her work, and she said "nope, everything is normal for me!".. so yeah, it is case-by-case for each member.

Custom programmable LED pegboard. If anyone wants to make a similar thing, PM me and I will help you out =)

#3 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Very interesting!  Yes, you're probably right about Momoko teaching at such a school... what a perfect job for her!

As for Kosuga Fuyuka, she was in and out of s/mileage so quick I don't think she'd nearly have the status or draw that most idols would, to be honest... I actually had to Google her because I forgot all about her lol.

I'll bet Berryz Kobo's Maiho Ishimura gets much more attention / recognition than Fuyuka.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#4 meichan111

meichan111

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

If I remember right it's kindergarten she'll teach then she leaves. Hope they just give them their freedom after graduation and since Japan respect each other I'm sure of it but we all know there is a few that just won't let it go.

post-122492-0-27381900-1467173567.gif
Made by Mei.ka~

@memi_0107_

#5 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

She's allowerd to teach in kindergarten and elementary school levels.

Thanks for the information on Hinode, zeroyon. I didn't know that. 

Fukuda Asuka was interviewed by a tv team when she was a waitress in her parent's bar. I guess it's possible that some people won't let go of Momoko's idol past, but I think it's not like she'll be bothered by it. Just like how you can see H!P idols in the streets and trains of Tokyo. 

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#6 Paramorning

Paramorning

Nen!

• Senpai
  • 1603 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

Most H!P members are currently at or are alumni of Hinode Middle School and High School, and UpFront has a close relationship with that school... so I bet she likely already has a job lined up at Hinode. That school has special classes for Idols, and a very strict vetting process for students. For example, when Airi went to Hinode, her classmates consisted of members from Idoling, Momoclo, AKB48, Paspo, and some other groups.

Wow so when a girl joins HP she would likely move to that school? Does that mean that some of the girls who are the same age are/were likely classmates as well as colleagues? 

23uwwsp.gif
工藤広瀬岸本鈴木

#7 Kinjiru

Kinjiru

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1890 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:37 AM

Well, it very much depends on what the idol is going to do when they transition into society. In Momochi's case: H!P Fans aren't that common to begin with, so the possibility of a child's parent being a fan is very low. Secondly, if the fan has a child it implies that they have kind of settled down in life and the possibility of them being crazy drops by quite a bit. Lastly, H!P Fans are human, not rabid dogs that will lunge themselves at their favorite idol every opportunity they can get. The vast majority of them respect them as people and won't even think about harassing them in real life. You barely even see photographs of idols in private popping up, and even that is a very tame form of harassment. Even if they wanted to approach them or do take a photo or whatever, Japanese people have a mindset of not sticking out in society and respecting someone's personal space in public, so nothing would happen. The chances of Momochi/any other graduated member to run into that one crazy fan even though it's difficult enough to find even a H!P fan is very small. And even so...what are they going to do? Jump over the table and hug her during a Parent-Teacher session?  That would take a seriously insane fan...H!P fans aren't like that. Hell, even your standard idol fan isn't like that. Do not let the stereotype painted by the media fool you.

#8 wahodes

wahodes

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

I think about this when I look at Chinami's instagram posts. Obviously a lot of her friends there aren't Japanese and probably don't care about Idols but they must know she was an idol and has a decent following on her account. Can you imagine a Japanese foreign exchange student coming to your city and it turning out they're a former idol? lol 

Sayashi Riho ★  13ki  Oda Sakura  Akiyama Mao  Danbara Ruru  Kiyono Momohime 

#9 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

what are they going to do? Jump over the table and hug her during a Parent-Teacher session?  That would take a seriously insane fan...H!P fans aren't like that.

Actually I just meant more like asking questions about Berryz, their past, maybe even asking to take a photo with her or autograph kind of harassment.  But that's interesting what you said about Japanese culture and people keeping to themselves.  Have you ever been to New York city?  Apart from vocal homeless beggars, people are very much to themselves there as well... probably has to do with population density.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#10 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

what are they going to do? Jump over the table and hug her during a Parent-Teacher session?  That would take a seriously insane fan...H!P fans aren't like that.

Actually I just meant more like asking questions about Berryz, their past, maybe even asking to take a photo with her or autograph kind of harassment.  But that's interesting what you said about Japanese culture and people keeping to themselves.  Have you ever been to New York city?  Apart from vocal homeless beggars, people are very much to themselves there as well... probably has to do with population density.

It's a culture thing in Japan more than just a city think being in Tokyo, talking to people you don't know randomly is seen as a bit weird and not so often done as it is in America or other places in the West where people involve themselves in the lives of others more. Often people won't even make eye contact or talk to anybody so you don't see the crazy pushy fans that you get in the West who will harass celebrities with questions or ask for autographs it's not the done thing. 

As for parents at her school bothering her it's doubtful, most H!P fans are certain types of people and if they do get married and have kids often they just get rid of all the idols stuff because that was filling a void that is now filled by having a wife and kids so they move on from the fandom which is seen as very nerdy and weird so it probably won't impress the in laws. There are probably some who carry on being fans when married but probably very few. Most idol fans are single and don't have much chance of having kids anytime soon so the chances of parents at her school being fans is slim. 

She'll probably also be teaching at an upmarket private school with very proper families sending their kids there so they wouldn't risk such social embarrassment, people in Japan care more about what people think of them so coming to the parent/teacher conference and harassing their kids teacher is something they probably don't want to do. 

I think about this when I look at Chinami's instagram posts. Obviously a lot of her friends there aren't Japanese and probably don't care about Idols but they must know she was an idol and has a decent following on her account. Can you imagine a Japanese foreign exchange student coming to your city and it turning out they're a former idol? lol 

Well Utada Hikaru went to an American college for a while and nobody there knew who the hell she was lol. When she was in London she also rode the Underground like a normal person and walked around on her own because she can get away with it where as in Japan she can't go anywhere without the press following her. There are people who went to school with Utada Hikaru out there. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#11 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

As I prepare for my first trip to Japan I'm noticing a paradox in what I hear about the culture.  One one hand I hear they are very introverted and to themselves (as you just mentioned how you don't strike up a conversation with a stranger) yet on the other hand I hear they are extremely polite, accommodating, and will go out of their way to help a stranger in need.   :unsure:  Is it purely situational??  Just as you can't say "All Americans are ____" etc....

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#12 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hm, I don't think one thing rules out the other, so maybe it is a situational thing. I don't know where you're from, but if you look foreign to Japanese people you'll definitely catch their attention more easily than an idol :lol:

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#13 Kinjiru

Kinjiru

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1890 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Exactly, one does not rule out the other. They will not go out of their way to help you and will keep to themselves since there is this "private space wall" in between people in public, but once you break that yourself and ask someone they might very well try to help you as they feel it is part of their duty. I have had people guided me all the way to my location rather than just give instructions, even when I ensured them it was not necessary. Really depends on the people and the place though, plenty don't give a damn and might even give false instructions to get rid of you and then in Osaka the chances of an old jolly guy walking up to you to help out when they see a struggling foreigner is much higher than in Tokyo.

Dunno about y'all but even though I liked Chinami best in Berryz I wouldn't freak out or fan out if I studied with her. Would probably just become a friend and enjoy hanging out with her. I mean, if you really like them why would you destroy any chances of getting along with them by acting like a fan and putting extra pressure on the idol, right?

#14 Moondoggie

Moondoggie

If you ain't blue, you ain't true

• Senpai
  • 4707 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

Lol if they found out you like idols they'd probably figure out you only want to be friends because of who they are and that you want to get into their inner circle to meet more idols. 

I think almost all Japanese are introverts and only become extroverts when drunk enough lol, it's not like they won't help you if you look lost as a foreigner particularly if you're an attractive foreign girl but in society I've noticed a lack of people pushing themselves into the space of others and a lack of wanting to do anything that draws attention or is different from other people. Maybe Osaka is a little different in attitude in Tokyo it feels like everyone is an introverted robot. Had plenty of occasions where I was trying to find something on google maps and somebody came up to me particularly in areas where there are a lot of businesses because some of the more international businessmen speak really good English a lot better than my Japanese anyway. 

What I was getting at is that freaking out over your child's teacher at a parent/teacher thing would make you look bad and humiliate your child in Japan that tends to not be something people look to do. I think even the chances of people freaking out when they see a celebrity in public is much less especially if they are alone and not surrounded by cameras at most they might follow them from a safe distance without bothering them. 

TEAM TAKECHAN

#15 Kinjiru

Kinjiru

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1890 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Lol if they found out you like idols they'd probably figure out you only want to be friends because of who they are and that you want to get into their inner circle to meet more idols.

Er...that is not the case though. Friends hang out with friends because of who they are. If my friends had different personalities and were someone else, I might not have considered them my friends. In the end, both friends and fans are the same in that they want to hang out with someone they like. Hanging out with an idol simply because of their status and their inner circle is pretty lame, I wouldn't try to become friends with a member I don't care for simply because they're famous. In the end we're all just people and we try to get along with people we like and enjoy hanging out with. As long as you don't geek out all over them and just show that you're equal human beings I don't even think they'll care that much whether you knew them or not. Just gotta be casual. If I were an ex-idol and I got a good natural conversation started and the other person says "Hey, I actually used to listen to your songs." mid-conversation I wouldn't care at all unless they were giving off creep vibes (which would sadly be the case for a lot of wota). It's all about the attitude.

Japan is strange in that they have a society in which it is the norm to keep to yourself and poke your nose in others' business. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down is how the saying goes, and this is also the reason why there are so many sub-cultures within Japan that purposely rebel against that concept through fashion (young people mostly). It is not that they are all introverts, just that their desires are suppressed by society and extroverts more or less can not out themselves or behave similarly to their counterparts in the west. There are also plenty of extroverts here that shut themselves in their rooms and live depressed lives but actually crave social stimulation. As fun as Japan is, the society is pretty screwed up in a subtle way most foreign visitors would never see, but the suicide rate is high for a reason.

#16 Arielsoul

Arielsoul

Never Forget

• Senpai
  • 6510 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

I once encountered by chance Sakichy (S/mileage's Ogawa Saki) working in a fish restaurant. She was giving pamphlets at the door and then helping inside as well. She knew I recognized her as I immediately said so (was so surprised I couldn't help myself XD). So she actually invited me in to have lunch at that place - after all that was her job to get people in -, but I was in a hurry as I had a C-ute concert that same day (this was about 2 years ago), but i asked until what time the restaurant was open so I returned later and had dinner there. She was not nervous or uncomfortable at all that I knew who she was. I actually asked her for a photo at first when i met her during the day but she said she was working, however after I had dinner she came to ask if I still wanted the photo so I got a 2shot with her right then (another customer took it, and i think he also knew who she was but it's was all normal stuff there). It was a pretty interesting experience. I don't think she's working there anymore just in case XD

#17 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

^ cool story, Arielsoul! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, now that I've been in Japan for a while I can tell it's a very suppressed society. I often wonder how people actually meet (as far as dating, asking someone out, flirting etc.). I assume it's through other friends in social gatherings but the whole strike up a conversation with a stranger at a mall or whatever doesn't seem like a thing.
I've also noticed differences of social etiquette based on region. In Tokyo and Sendai the people seemed very introverted and serious apart from shop workers doing their smile and greet routine but in Osaka people seem to be a bit more loose and care free.
I can't restrain my Western manner very much hence I mentioned to the flight attendant who had the last name of Ishikawa that it reminded me of Rika from Morning Musume. She smiled and laughed and asked if I like MM to be conversational. At least I bit my tongue at a train station travel pass office where a woman had the last name of Goto. Lol.

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#18 Kinjiru

Kinjiru

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1890 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Ishikawa is a very, very common name (27th most common, Goto is 32nd) so they'd probably respond the same way an American would respond to a Japanese person saying "Hey Your name is Bob? Reminds me of Bob Marley!". They are pretty much used to foreigners being weird though, so most people would just be polite about it. Not many people in H!P have uncommon names, but Sayashi is rare and I have not seen anyone with the name Iikubo or Michishige.

#19 hanawopun

hanawopun

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2116 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

Rather than starting a new thread I'll just post this here...

From my visit to Japan I now understand why some forum members here have tried to explain to me that Hello!Project idols are not quite as big as I thought.  Apart from the whole AKB craze which is like everywhere (even at 7-Eleven there are tons of advertisements)

IMG_2123fx.jpgIMG_2251.jpg

When searching for H!P content apart from the official H!P shop and Trio they were almost non-existent.  In CD shops they were a small section, isolated in an idol section apart from everything else as well.  It seemed so strange, just like how I assumed there would be anime on every other TV channel (I barely ever found any) that Hello!Pro seemed like a small speck on the wall of Jpop music scene and even among other idol-type groups.  So I guess in relation to this thread, their public celebrity factor may not be as big as I thought.  

angermes_finest_hour.jpg

#20 Kaeseki

Kaeseki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1476 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

^

Well, we're talking popular entertainment here.  From what I've observed of it anywhere it seems individuals tend to be a "flash in the pan" with their days of glory usually being counted in years or even less.  Few seem to transcend this to go on to lasting greatness.  I'd think the rotational nature of East Asian pop music just heightens this trend.

#MAGA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users