29 replies to this topic

#1 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

steven_560x230.png

Any Steven Universe fans here? It's one of my favorite shows right now. I would like to discuss the recent episodes with you if you have watched them.

If you haven't watched Steven Universe you can watch the episodes here for free: http://www.watchcart...steven-universe Episodes are 10 minutes long.

Sypnosis from Wikipedia:

The series is set in the fictional Beach City on the Delmarva Peninsula on the American East Coast, where the Crystal Gems live in an ancient beachside temple, protecting the world from evil. Ageless alien warriors, they project feminine humanoid forms from magical gemstones that are the core of their being. The Crystal Gems are Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, and Steven, a young half-human, half-Gem boy who inherited his gemstone from his mother, the Crystal Gems' past leader Rose Quartz. As Steven tries to figure out his powers, he spends his days with his human father Greg, his friend Connie, the other people in Beach City, or the Gems, either to help them save the world or just to hang out. He explores the abilities passed down to him by his mother, which include fusion—the ability of Gems to merge their bodies and abilities to form new and more powerful personalities.

The first season slowly reveals that the Crystal Gems are remnants of a once great interstellar civilization. Most of the locations they visit are ruins that were once of great importance to Gem culture, but have become derelict for millennia. The Gems are cut off from their homeworld, and it becomes apparent that the monsters and artifacts they encounter are Gems who can no longer maintain rational humanoid forms. In parallel, flashbacks relayed by Greg develop the history of Rose Quartz and her relationships. By the end of the first season, Steven learns that the Homeworld Gems intended to sterilize the Earth to incubate new Gems within it. Now, 5,000 years after Rose led the other Crystal Gems in a violent and apparently successful rebellion against these genocidal plans, the Homeworld's machinations once again extend towards the Earth with the arrival of two hostile envoys, Peridot and Jasper. In the second season, Peridot is forced to ally with the Crystal Gems to prevent Earth's destruction by a Gem abomination growing in the planet's core. In the third season, Peridot and Lapis Lazuli, an errant Homeworld Gem, join the Crystal Gems, and Jasper is at length defeated.

#2 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

slow release schedule apologist

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:55 AM

I was contemplating making a Steven Universe thread because I'm obsessed with it. I'm still so shook over Smoky Quartz

MizukiRina

Twitter

#3 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

I was honestly surprised when they fused! I thought Amethyst is just doing to gain some extra powers somehow or reform again into something bigger. Smokey quartz looked weird with that 3rd hand, but I guess it was pretty cool. So far my least favorite fusion I think.

Also I really hope Steven manages to cure a corrupted gem (I really would like the one Jasper fused with, it seems like it will be recruiting).

I loved how Lapis and Peridot live together like an old couple. And I love how they turned Lapis into that dark character. "Yeah, because when I think fun, I think Lapis." that Amethyst line cracked me up.

The episode with Bismuth felt really weird for me, for I moment I thought they are adding another main character, but then POOF she is actually bad. I hope we get to see the other crystal gems as well.

What do you think about Rose Quartz shattering the Pink Pearl? Do you think it's true?

#4 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

^ I hope it's not but Garnet says it is(with reference to s3e25)...

Here's my crack theory:

Spoiler

It's great to see other Steven Universe fans, I have no one to talk about it IRL and I didn't think about making a thread for it lol ^^;

If we're talking about SU we've got to talk about the songs too, my favourite from season 3 is from episode 8. The whole episode is great too, many songs packed into the episode.

Mafia Musume/Morning Mafioso

mafia_musume_banner_by_supermariabros-d5

Deviantart . Pixiv . Tumblr

H!P Comics

#5 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

This is definitely my favorite song. Everything about it just feels nice lol. However I'm kind of annoyed we only got 1 song outside of the musical episode in season 3.

MizukiRina

Twitter

#6 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

I'm not sure which one is my favorite song. SU's specific sound is very calming.

I like this one, even tho it's not the best song it's an important part of the series when Perry started becoming nice:

I also LOVE Yellow Diamond's theme: https://youtu.be/0jD7tHmC1MU

#7 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Yea their songs are catchy yet hold quite deep meaning(s), I need to re-listen to all the SU songs before I can pick a favourite. I have never listen to any of themes before, I need to do that some time.

Have you guys watched the latest episode yet, the one with Smoky Quartz and Sardonyx? 

Spoiler

H!P Comics

#8 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

It was a mediocre episode. I would prefer some lore development instead, like Pink Diamond and Rose back story.

#9 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:15 PM

Well it is only the second episode of the new season, maybe the next one? Lore development-wise, I want to know more about the Crystal Gems. Pass members and such, like the ones Bismuth mentioned, Crazy Lace, Biggs and Snowflake. An episode about that would be cool.
Also we're talking about Steven Universe here, there will always be character development XD

H!P Comics

#10 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:27 PM

Looking at the upcoming episodes sneak peaks I think they will be just random episodes. We will probably start getting more lore development at the end of this season.

#11 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Episode 3 was about the Crystal Gems(kinda) like I wanted but it ended up giving more questions than answers ^^;
I hope they have a mix of lore and character development episodes and not just chuck in revelations during the last few episodes of the season.

H!P Comics

#12 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

To be frank I didn't think it was a very interesting episode, but I questioned why Rose was in a desert with bunch of lions. Maybe it has to do with Lion's origins. 

#13 rinafest'19

rinafest'19

• Senpai
  • 1848 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

snatchedt

I'm not sure how I feel about this song. But I like how when you think about these voice actors the idea of them as artists collaborating is so random but here it is actually happening on Steven Universe

MizukiRina

Twitter

#14 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

I didn't really like the song during my first listen but it's begun to grow on me after listening to it on repeat ^^;
It wouldn't be too weird to see them as artists as almost all of the gem's voice actresses are singers themselves and even if they're not, most of the cast have really beautiful voices.

My thoughts on episode 4:
Spoiler

A follow up joke of sorts to my favourite song of last season.

H!P Comics

#15 Sky☆Dancer

Sky☆Dancer

Flitering Through the Clouds

• Senpai
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:12 AM

I didn't really like the song during my first listen but it's begun to grow on me after listening to it on repeat ^^;

It wouldn't be too weird to see them as artists as almost all of the gem's voice actresses are singers themselves and even if they're not, most of the cast have really beautiful voices. 

My thoughts on episode 4:

Spoiler

A follow up joke of sorts to my favourite song of last season.

I love that song! I honestly can't get enough of it. I think I really liked the episode/song because it really did speak to me on a more personal level. Growing up I was never really good at talking about my feelings. It didn't help that I seen as a more happy child and still am. So when people see me sad or mad, it's weird to them. This leads to comments and even though they were trying to make me feel better I always felt like feeling anything but happy was a bad thing. So I just stuffed everything down until it would blow up and things that happened years ago would be drudged up because I didn't deal with them then. That's why I love like "Inside Out" with Sadness and this episode because kids need to know that it's o.k. to feel mad, sad and any other "bad feeling". Because you need to feel to move on. 

Spoiler

I am happy to have this thread. I forced a friend to watch some episodes all the way to Jailbreak but it still didn't catch her interest. No one else is willing to try. Which sucks because it really hits some points that anyone can relate to. 

Spoiler

#16 RenaiDestiny。

RenaiDestiny。

♥ Gorilla-kun ♥

• Senpai
  • 3347 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Here Comes a Thought is hands down the best song the series has ever come out with. It really helps with my anxiety.

2DCV7Kc.jpg

#17 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

^ Yea this song is pretty calming definitely one of the best songs to come from SU yet!

^^ You and me are in the same boat, I've tried to convince my sisters to watch it with me but nope, that just ain't happening ^^;

I am happy to have this thread. I forced a friend to watch some episodes all the way to Jailbreak but it still didn't catch her interest. No one else is willing to try. Which sucks because it really hits some points that anyone can relate to. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

H!P Comics

#18 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

I finally watched Last One out of Beach City episode. I saw all the hype over Tumblr about how lesbian Pearl is in the episode, but it's not as much as I thought it would be. I guess the hype was huge and I expected it to be a lot more obvious. It still has hints that Pearl has a crush on the pink haired girl I guess, but it's carefully distinguished under the fact she looks like Rose Quartz and Pearl wants to be her friend. Pink haired girl giving her number to Pearl is probably the biggest sign for some kind of love interaction, but still I wouldn't consider it something as big as people made it out to be. Or as Ruby and Sapphire's relationship.

I think Rebecca Sugar definitely wanted to implement it's about lesbian love, but she probably held herself back a bit and tried to create a friendship path as well because of how much the show is getting censored in countries like Russia. A lot of episodes have been getting unaired or crazily cut. They even added mustache to Ruby in a lot of countries that have stricter TV laws. I think Rebecca doesn't want kids worldwide to enjoy the show less so she would keep it low key. There is a chance they won't air the episode at all in the censoring countries, or change the pink haired girl into a man. It's weird when countries like Russia censor that, but had this super popular lesbian duet TATU.

It could be just me that doesn't see it the same as the rest of the people who have watched it, maybe my expectations were higher or I have a mindset that doesn't see everything as love related. I hope I chose the right words and nobody assumes my post is homophobic.

#19 cornyflakes

cornyflakes

Meme Thrash

• Senpai
  • 1829 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

I think Rebecca Sugar definitely wanted to implement it's about lesbian love, but she probably held herself back a bit and tried to create a friendship path as well because of how much the show is getting censored in countries like Russia. A lot of episodes have been getting unaired or crazily cut. They even added mustache to Ruby in a lot of countries that have stricter TV laws. I think Rebecca doesn't want kids worldwide to enjoy the show less so she would keep it low key. There is a chance they won't air the episode at all in the censoring countries, or change the pink haired girl into a man. It's weird when countries like Russia censor that, but had this super popular lesbian duet TATU.

I think the thing about the moustache is fake.
Real:

Fake:

Here is what they did censor though.
Countries can censor what they want to censor but I don't want Rebecca holding back just because. Also I don't think Rebecca needs or wants to tone it down ^^;

About the episode, I know the hype is around the "relationship" or interaction between Pearl and the Mystery Girl but I was more impressed with the car scene lol The music playing and the animation was just on point y'know? ^^; I don't know if what Pearl wanted from the Mystery Girl was love or friendship but I hope it continues, either they end up together or as friends.

H!P Comics

#20 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Ah Im glad the moustache thing is fake. Apparently not only gay scenes but hetero scenes like Saddie and Lars kissing are cut as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users