• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 TotallyUncool

TotallyUncool

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

I think a lot of that is because fandom in the idol world is so heavily based on emotional attachment and stage persona (with performance taking a far back seat).  I'm still getting a feel for the group's music, but the first time I saw that clip of Ano, I could feel every codependent, must-take-care-of-this-girl button in my head being pushed.  XD

But I think the focus does need to be more balanced, both for the sake of the goup, and for Ano's sake (if she does have a lot of issues, the last thing she needs is lots of pressure to be increasingly weird and extreme in public).

Neither Heaven nor sky above,
neither Hell nor earth below.

#22 Moklar

Moklar

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

Haha.. I agree, I think for most people it's hard to not being taken with her quirkiness, like you said you feel like want to take care of her because she's like a child.

Not sure if it was mentioned but she also cuts herself.

------

A little offtopic but the group I think closest resemble YMM is Shōjo kakka no intānashonaru

Ofc they just disbanded :blink:

#23 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

I always get killed for saying this, but Ano's live performances don't do much for me. She is always a step behind the rest, with half-hearted choreography and a sense of being in her own world. I think she would be happier just screaming and playing noise guitar. 

Of course, it would not normally be acceptable/accepted in the pro 'idol world' and that is her attention grabber, but I kind-of agree that once you've seen it a few times the curb appeal starts to wear off. She's had a lot of doors opened for her but I think at some point she'll need to step up and deliver something more; she can only get by on her quirks for so long.

The problem with "just screaming and playing noise guitar" is that doesn't generally pay the rent.

#24 arwald

arwald

Special Agent of Idol BAU

• Senpai
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

I always get killed for saying this, but Ano's live performances don't do much for me. She is always a step behind the rest, with half-hearted choreography and a sense of being in her own world. I think she would be happier just screaming and playing noise guitar. 

Of course, it would not normally be acceptable/accepted in the pro 'idol world' and that is her attention grabber, but I kind-of agree that once you've seen it a few times the curb appeal starts to wear off. She's had a lot of doors opened for her but I think at some point she'll need to step up and deliver something more; she can only get by on her quirks for so long.

The problem with "just screaming and playing noise guitar" is that doesn't generally pay the rent.

836c262c03ac.jpg

I wouldn't say that Ano-chan is the main attention spot for the group, there are a lot of fans who support other members. Ano-chan is doing quite well considering her past experience. There are many artists that perform in somewhat similar way (激情系) and Ano-chan gets support from people who like that way (e.g. look at the collaboration with Oomori Seiko above). So, enjoy the group and don't worry about her, she can pay her rent :D

Idols are adults' toys © Pikarin

#25 Blu-Cherri

Blu-Cherri

Selfish shooting star, Make my wish come true

• Senpai
  • 5673 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

I think I've settled on Younapi being my favourite member of the group now :D I love how she styles herself and how comfortable she is on stage and tv. She always speaks so clearly and her voice is cute too.

Anochan's duet with Oomori Seiko was great, their 2 voices mesh very well together.

In general, I love the mix of personalities this group has :)

E67uDCX.jpg?1

#26 asiamiles

asiamiles

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

I wouldn't say that Ano-chan is the main attention spot for the group, there are a lot of fans who support other members. Ano-chan is doing quite well considering her past experience. There are many artists that perform in somewhat similar way

When I saw Hauptharmonie, one member was acting in what I perceived to be a very 'ano-ish' manner, though someone suggested she may just have been drunk! It's possible, I guess, but at a midday performance?!  :o

Sure the other members have fans, but Ano is becoming more and more the centre of attention - how often do you see the other members singled out by the media? - and the slimming down to a four piece surely will only increase this.

She can pay her rent now, but I seriously doubt she's building up much of a nest egg, and you wonder what her future will be when YMM! call it a day. Of all the members she's the most likely to have a career in music/the media afterwards, but does she have enough about her to do what, say, Tentenko did? I guess that comes down to whoever's managing her...at the moment they seem to be doing a pretty good job.

Thanks for the heads up about the Liquid Room show as there's a good chance I'll be in town on that date. That said, they played just 2 mins walk from hotel on my last night in Tokyo back in May and I went to a different gig!

#27 cyborgpanda

cyborgpanda

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Hauptharmonie's members (not sure if current or former) are/were relatively well known for being fond of a drink. which is fine by me.

#28 dofphoto

dofphoto

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

I have sent for a translation update-- details to come....

#29 atmospherium

atmospherium

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

Very nice and long write up at Tokyo Girls Update of the farewell concert for Mone and Chibo on July 10:

http://tokyogirlsupd...0160799618.html

I put the full text here:

Spoiler

Mone%20July%2010%201_zpsx0htovgh.jpg

#30 arwald

arwald

• Senpai
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

#31 TotallyUncool

TotallyUncool

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:43 AM

Yay!

#32 arwald

arwald

• Senpai
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

It was Ano-chan's birthday yesterday

d2de56f64bec.jpg

31f723557640.jpg

#33 TotallyUncool

TotallyUncool

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Happy Birthday, Ano!

#34 arwald

arwald

• Senpai
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

Tonight at 9pm there will be Ylmlm's Showroom event "Yurumerumo! no shabererumo?"

https://www.showroom-live.com/ylmlm

#35 atmospherium

atmospherium

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:11 AM

While I think Kechon is the prettiest of the YMM girls, she always seems a bit reserved and quiet. Here she surprised me by turning up the kawaii to a high level with Chiffon. Check out especially 6:15 when she suddenly sings, and about 17:20 when she turns to the camera and says in English: "Help me." That's as far as I've gotten so far; I'm sure there are more moments of joy to follow.

#36 atmospherium

atmospherium

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Today I learned that Electric Sukiyaki Girls is a tribute to ESG, a group I've never even heard of before.

YMMESG_zpstuznzi6t.jpg     ESG_zpslf5k3p8f.jpg

I already knew that New Escape Underground! was a tribute to NEU!, a group I hadn't heard of before, either.

YMMNEU_zpsqqusgz0i.jpg     NEU_zpszetmbgix.jpg

#37 ulises

ulises

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1382 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

^ And "Suimin City Destroyer" is a tribute to Suicide

R-6648357-1423828925-8272.jpeg_zpssj6gqtR-429836-1312811390.jpeg_zpsiwaw1kab.jpg

#38 jimmcbim

jimmcbim

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

also Hako Melt More cover is a reference to Weezer's Blue Album
the Literature & Destroy EP cover is also in the style of Belle & Sebastian covers but not referencing one directly iirc
the costumes from the cover of UFO are copied from Devo but I've never managed to track down if it is directly referencing a specific LP cover

#39 ulises

ulises

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1382 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, all the Yurumerumo's image is very Devo's style. 

#40 dofphoto

dofphoto

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

I have sent for a translation update-- details to come....

I have emailed Misa-Chan a few times and no response from her for a month---- I think its time to find another translator for the movie.. anyone have any ideas?

Love the thumbnail its a tribute to the album cover from Beastie Boys "Check Your Head"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users