Photo

H!O Tracker closure let's talk about alternatives.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1006 replies to this topic

#701 diorgui

diorgui

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

-DAAAAANG!

I didnt know the tracker was about to shut down. I had been seeding a lot and mostly akb stuff.

It was weird to see a lot of akb stuff being uploaded on JPS, I have a good stand there but I think they rules are a bit restricted for what you guys usually do here.

What about the idea of donating/keep the tracker?

(i've only read about 9 pages of the discussion, this tread its too long)

#702 Juriken'14(狩)

Juriken'14(狩)

カァー

• Senpai
  • 1813 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

*warning* wall of text

New Tracker Project (rewrote stuff I said pages ago + updates)

ok, I'm thinking of putting my ass on the line and try build a new tracker since new tracker won't just suddenly appear out of nowhere :ph34r: but lack money and experience (don't worry ^_^ I think I know what I'm doing ROW9asG.gif :ph34r: )
The new tracker will be totally independent and separate from H!O, so it'll need everything it needs to stand with its own feet, like member management, custom mods, support forum, etc... I'll be using IPS suite is because running the tracker on something like Joomla is a disaster in the making :ph34r: lol The stress of not knowing when or how the whole system will suddenly crashing down on me is the main reason why I hesitate stepping up and make a new tracker at the first place lol maintaining a tracker is already enough trouble.

I'll be building it on a dedicated server because many cheap VPS can't really support the load and die, or plague with errors. Yes, there are some really good VPS, but it's almost the same price as a low end setup of a dedicated server lol why not add a couple bucks to make it better. The main reason why it's expensive is because it has to be host in torrent friendly countries, like Russia and Ukraine. Hosting in the Netherlands is a cheaper option (which I'm choosing), but take down happens... however imo as long as no American or European stuff on the tracker, it's mostly safe.

I'll also gonna set up a small seedbox in the server to help seed some requested files

basic cost (estimate) :
- dedicated server (dual-core, 4GB DDR3, 4x500GB, RAID10, Plesk Web Pro, 100TB metered) : $75 per month, $855 per year (= $71.25/month), $1620 per 2 years (= $67.5/month), or $2160 per 3yrs (= $60/month)
- IPS Community Suite : one-time fee $175 (more $$ if I need to buy some paid apps or plugins)
- domain name : $20 per year ("idol-online" or something like that)
- plus other stuff I didn't even know they exist :ph34r:
- fees like currency exchange fees (USD->EUR or other currency)

crowdfunding (posted the links on my twitter) :
- referral / affiliate programs : Amazon Japan, Yesasia, Play-Asia, Ebay : https://twitter.com/...165420956946436. (Also adding Amazon US https://twitter.com/...166075289346048 to the list because Amazon US can directly deposit money to my bank). As for CDJapan, still waiting....what took them that long to review....
- donations (nonrefundable :ph34r: ) : any amount thru Generosity (powered by Indiegogo, 3% fee) https://twitter.com/...698010898046978(remember to edit the "Suggested gift towards Generosity's operating expenses" to $0), or send it directly to me via paypal (in USD, EUR, or JPY)

the minimum needed is $1082 (covers the first year of expense) because I don't want to worry about the money while I'm randomly slamming my keyboard (or "coding" if you wanna call it that :ph34r: )

although I do think I kinda know what I'm doing, I never build a tracker before, so I'll need help if the tracker acting weird...

any type of suggestions, opinions, ideas, etc are welcome too

note: some part of this post may not make any sense at all due to my lack of sleep ........

Harajuku DREAM MATE (ハラ塾DREAM MATE) Showroom Schedule (in JST) : Kuroe Koharu (黒江心温) https://www.showroom...jukumate_koharu - TBA. Sakamoto Airi (坂本愛莉) https://www.showroom...rajukumate_airi - Tues/Thurs - 21:00 to 22:00. Fukano Hina (深野ひな) https://www.showroom...rajukumate_hina - Monday 20:00 to 21:00. Takagi Hana (高木波夏) https://www.showroom...rajukumate_hana - TBA. HDM Official Room https://www.showroom...ammate_official - TBA. The schedule is merely a guide, and will change if the girls are busy or wanna do more broadcast. BTW I literally live in Kuroe Koharu's showroom (with over 2500+ visitsover 2,900,000+ points, and currently rank #2 in the Cumulative Ranking lol), so if you somehow need to contact me and I'm not responding, you know where to find me. Yes, you can also find me in other girls' rooms, but I'm not sure if I'll always be there like in Koharu's room lol

As of Dec 30 2019, the girls are no longer broadcast daily even though they broadcasted daily for 3 years. 

Watching people trying to argue and defend their ignorance since 1999TM. Btw dude chill, why so serious? lol

#703 Unclemeat

Unclemeat

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Just a quick question - I downloaded a 53gb file from jps and have been seeding it for about 8 hours now.

On the site it shows the information below. Is it correct?
I just want to be sure i'm doing it right and starting off on the right foot.

• Up: 7.15 GB
  • Down: 0.00 B
  • Ratio: ∞
  • Bonus: 0
Assuming the 53gb file is freeleech, yeah. You upload data to clients who want to download it, and usually you want to keep your upload amount higher than your download (jps wants at worst 0.6 I think). So, at least seed back what you download, and you should be fine.

Many thanks also.

#704 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

No offense to you Juriken'14, but if you're going to solicit money from people for a project, you probably shouldn't be opening with "don't worry, I think I know what I'm doing".

#705 Mattthecat

Mattthecat

Licensed Nailpolish Caddy for Matsuura Aya

• Headquarters
  • 3090 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

@Juriken14

Relax and have a beer

Maybe a new tracker will just suddenly appear out of nowhere

Call me the future Mr. Matsuura (after her inevitable divorce from Keita)
Ayaya3.jpg
The Matsuurian Forum The Matsuurian Archives The Matsuurian Twitter The rest of my stuff

#706 randomrrr

randomrrr

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 822 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

^

Sounds like something is in the works! :itadakimasu:

This and your previous post about creative people or something XD

#707 dasris

dasris

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

@Juriken14

Having a seedbox in the same place as the tracker just creates more legal risk.

#708 xibo

xibo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

@Juriken14

Relax and have a beer
Maybe a new tracker will just suddenly appear out of nowhere

Tracker out of nowhere! Afiririru~

@Juriken14
Having a seedbox in the same place as the tracker just creates more legal risk.

He said he'd use a dedicated server for the tracker, so he'll likely not be using the same system/place/provider for the seedbox.

#709 Korogui San

Korogui San

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

Mattthecat is great at h!o tracker.

I think that how many fans are 48 and 46 groups now, is better change name to another thing ^^; 

#710 8Detonation8

8Detonation8

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

*warning* wall of text

New Tracker Project (rewrote stuff I said pages ago + updates)

ok, I'm thinking of putting my ass on the line and try build a new tracker since new tracker won't just suddenly appear out of nowhere :ph34r: but lack money and experience (don't worry ^_^ I think I know what I'm doing ROW9asG.gif :ph34r: )
The new tracker will be totally independent and separate from H!O, so it'll need everything it needs to stand with its own feet, like member management, custom mods, support forum, etc... I'll be using IPS suite is because running the tracker on something like Joomla is a disaster in the making :ph34r: lol The stress of not knowing when or how the whole system will suddenly crashing down on me is the main reason why I hesitate stepping up and make a new tracker at the first place lol maintaining a tracker is already enough trouble.

I'll be building it on a dedicated server because many cheap VPS can't really support the load and die, or plague with errors. Yes, there are some really good VPS, but it's almost the same price as a low end setup of a dedicated server lol why not add a couple bucks to make it better. The main reason why it's expensive is because it has to be host in torrent friendly countries, like Russia and Ukraine. Hosting in the Netherlands is a cheaper option (which I'm choosing), but take down happens... however imo as long as no American or European stuff on the tracker, it's mostly safe.

I'll also gonna set up a small seedbox in the server to help seed some requested files

basic cost (estimate) :
- dedicated server (dual-core, 4GB DDR3, 4x500GB, RAID10, Plesk Web Pro, 100TB metered) : $75 per month, $855 per year (= $71.25/month), $1620 per 2 years (= $67.5/month), or $2160 per 3yrs (= $60/month)
- IPS Community Suite : one-time fee $175 (more $$ if I need to buy some paid apps or plugins)
- domain name : $20 per year ("idol-online" or something like that)
- plus other stuff I didn't even know they exist :ph34r:
- fees like currency exchange fees (USD->EUR or other currency)

crowdfunding (posted the links on my twitter) :
- referral / affiliate programs : Amazon Japan, Yesasia, Play-Asia, Ebay : https://twitter.com/...165420956946436. (Also adding Amazon US https://twitter.com/...166075289346048 to the list because Amazon US can directly deposit money to my bank). As for CDJapan, still waiting....what took them that long to review....
- donations (nonrefundable :ph34r: ) : any amount thru Generosity (powered by Indiegogo, 3% fee) https://twitter.com/...698010898046978(remember to edit the "Suggested gift towards Generosity's operating expenses" to $0), or send it directly to me via paypal (in USD, EUR, or JPY)

the minimum needed is $1082 (covers the first year of expense) because I don't want to worry about the money while I'm randomly slamming my keyboard (or "coding" if you wanna call it that :ph34r: )

although I do think I kinda know what I'm doing, I never build a tracker before, so I'll need help if the tracker acting weird...

any type of suggestions, opinions, ideas, etc are welcome too

note: some part of this post may not make any sense at all due to my lack of sleep ........

Why do it the hard way? Someone already suggested Usenet and File sharing sites. Those are way cheaper choices. Anyone can pay 10-14 dollars per month. Just find those with unlimited storage space and permanent storage. Firedrop and Sabercathost seem like good ones. Admins can create some file upload/download section here at the forums. Now we just have to tempt all the uploaders to use one of those. 

https://firedrop.com/signup.html

http://sabercathost.com/upgrade.html

#711 Sielunrauha

Sielunrauha

8th gen member

• Validating
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

We would also like to know, who uploads new episodes to shows like AKBINGO, AKB48 Show, HKT48 no Odekake, HKT Variety 48, AKB48 No Anta Dare, Nemousu TV, NOGIBINGO, Nogizaka Under Construction, Keyakizaka46 – Keyakitte, Kakenai, Momoclo-Chan, EbichuTasuTasu, NMB to Manabukun...etc.

For Momoclo-Chan, EbichuTasuTasu, Syachihoko things etc. you should check out Mattthecat's uploads at nyaa:
http://www.nyaa.se/?user=332167

For others it's pretty random at the moment, some things are at JPS and nyaa, not the weekly shows though (on nyaa I mean), you can also find some 48G things from jpon.us:
http://jpon.us/

Although do note that they are only downloadable ones that are often in many parts so getting them might take a LONG time. Even a VERY LONG time.

I was myself trying to finally start uploading things to nyaa, starting from NOGIBINGO!6 ep08 (with commercials), when I noticed that I don't seem to be able to do so and because I can't figure out what's wrong I can't. Which means that before we get a new tracker I may not be able to share anything. Sorry about that people.

One thing could be a possibility, that I try to send all my new files via magnet links to some familiar member (we already discussed about this briefly with Mattthecat) so that they could upload it somewhere. Of course that would also UP that person's workload so that would be only a temporary solution.

#712 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

From an uploader's perspective, I already pay 10-15 a month for a seedbox (which I can use on any number of private trackers) so I pretty much have zero incentive to spend another 10-15 a month on usenet, or a file sharing website where links can be DMCA'd at a moment's notice and has horrible speeds for anyone without a premium account.

Just giving another point of view.

#713 8Detonation8

8Detonation8

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

From an uploader's perspective, I already pay 10-15 a month for a seedbox (which I can use on any number of private trackers) so I pretty much have zero incentive to spend another 10-15 a month on usenet, or a file sharing website where links can be DMCA'd at a moment's notice and has horrible speeds for anyone without a premium account.

Just giving another point of view.

Yeah, I understand your point of view, but the idea is to find something which works for everyone. Not just for those chosen few who has access to private trackers. 

#714 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

Nyaa is not a private tracker.

People can upload files on that tracker as well. Whether using JPS as primary source or file hosts and similar. So that would be helpful to those who cannot access JPS anymore but can access nyaa. At any rate, these are temporary solutions...

#715 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

If an alternative is being worked on, chances are the people involved are too busy working on it to be posting in this thread. They also probably don't want to announce anything until they have everything set up, so as not to give false hope in case something unforeseen happens and it falls through.

Those are just my theories though. Don't read too much into them.

#716 xibo

xibo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

What's your seedbox? If it's a VPS running a torrent client until it runs out of monthtly traffic, you could run a ftp, http, rsync, ... server instead of (or in addition to) the torrent client.

File hosters seem straightforward on the first sight, but a poor solution on the long one. We have few "uploaders", and each uploads alot of contents. In bittorrent, those contents get "adopted" by the network as peers obtain it, transfering responsibilty to provide the content from the original uploader to the network members. If something odd happens and the uploader is banned from H!O (the tracker provider), the content contributed by this uploader will remain available to the network as long as other network members feel like sharing it. If the same oddity occurs on a DDL file hoster and an uploader gets it's account revoked by the DDL service provider, the "network" loses all contents contributed by that uploader at once, independend of how often it replicated.

Further, DDLs promote a leech and run mindset, so less people will look at the "please reupload XY"-like threads. In contrast, BitTorrent clients are programmed to have a seeder that runs out of bandwidth prioritize peers that are themselves contributing back to the network over peers who aren't, and therefore promote contributing to the network by allowing peers that do so to download faster, as almost all "seeder members" are exhausting their bandwidth or have restricted their torrent clients artificially causing them to run out of usable bandwidth even faster.

If the tracker dies (H!O's is still up btw), the network is no worse off than if the DDL service provider closes service. In the past, trackers died less often than DDL providers though, and you didn't lose money if they did either.

If you want to provide DDL access to H!O compatible material, feel free to do so. In fact we already have a H!P DDL thread. 48G fans would probably not be mad at you if you created a corresponding thread in their subforums, either.

#717 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

The thing about DDL is that there are so many providers out there, and all of them offer a premium account of some variety. You'd have to have a consensus on which one to use or people would probably get pretty ticked off if they need to buy multiple premium accounts to download from different uploaders. These services also allow the uploader to make money, and because of this I've seen things get pretty cutthroat in the past, with uploaders filing DMCA claims on other uploaders' uploads and things of that nature.

If people want to do it then by all means go for it. It's definitely not the solution that I'd want for the long term though.

#718 xibo

xibo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:09 PM

That's true. I had forgotten the point system they have and the consequences thereof.

The funny thing about the nontrival choice of which provider to use is that many of them are actually the same company operating with multiple frontends - and that's just another reason not to like them as having a premium membership to one of their frontends will not provide a premium membership to the others, forcing you to buy multiple premium memberships from the same company.

#719 amorphous_mass

amorphous_mass

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

Some of you guys are either psychic or visit a certain other site where I've mentioned a couple of days ago that I have something in the works. :)

First of all I apologize if anything written below is not understandable or poorly formatted since it's late and I'm tired but I wanted to share this with you guys today before going to sleep.

Since H!O's tracker went down I have taken it upon myself to create a replacement since I'm a huge wota and a software developer, so that we can all continue to enjoy our beloved idols just like we did until now and so that many more people can get to know and grow to love idols that can't easily see them live.

I'm using XBTIT (http://www.btiteam.org/) as the basis for the site. XBTIT is written in PHP, which I have experience with, so it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it to our needs if necessary and add additional functionality to it. It has existed for a long time and the devs have lots of experience running and developing tracker sites so it should perform well and be secure. It uses XBTT as the tracker just like H!O did. Since XBTIT is still actively developed, if I'll ever need support with anything regarding it or run into a bug in the code, I'll be able to contact the devs about it and they'll be able to fix it in the next release of the software. The only downside is that since it had recently received a big revamp (which is a big upside though), there is currently no documentation available except for basic install instructions. It's not an unsurmountable problem but it will make developing additional functionality much slower at the beginning until I get to know the codebase well.

Enough about that and let's move on to the site.
It currently has all the basic functionality you'd expect from a torrent site, which is:
-authorization via username and password
-user ranks (guest, member, moderator, owner) and setting what rank is allowed to see/do what on the site
-keeping track of the users' upload/download
-PM system
-torrent tracker
-viewing/adding/downloading torrent files
-forum
-it appears to also contains other things by default that might be useful but I haven't tested yet like a shoutbox and polls

The site currently uses the default theme but I'll make a custom one in the future which will have a layout similar to H!O since we're all used to that and a custom color scheme.

Another thing that is not included by default but will necessarily need to be before the site goes live is seeding encouragement like a minimum ratio and I was also thinking of implementing a points system like Jpopsuki has sometime in the future since I believe that immensely helps older torrents stay seeded.

Here's some screenshots of the site I took earlier today:
Forums front page: http://i.imgur.com/3pRcmgL.png(The default forum look is unattractive in my opinion and will definitely be restyled)
Forum thread: http://i.imgur.com/uBBI5mt.png(shameless oshimen advertising included ;) )
Forum thread - mobile: http://i.imgur.com/NgsT6xn.png(I can already see that the mobile view is going to need some work. There is too little room for the post and fonts are too big.)
Forum reply box - mobile: http://i.imgur.com/3UgY8hp.png

Right now the site only exists on my local machine and is in development. I cannot give an exact estimate when it will be complete enough that I'll put it online but I'm quite optimistic that it should be before the end of june.

"Idol tracker" is a working title by the way. I already have an idea for the site name but will refrain from posting until I buy the domain name since it's possible that it might get stolen.

I am open to any and all suggestions about any aspect of the site. If you have any questions, post them below and I will answer them tomorrow when I come home from work.

Good night.

#720 meds

meds

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Is it compartible with torrent db and other stuff from Haku?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users