Photo

H!O Tracker closure let's talk about alternatives.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1006 replies to this topic

#21 Stansfield123

Stansfield123

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

dp

#22 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hi all, 

I've just been talking to nyaa staff, and they seem quite open to idol uploads. Some have been uploaded before, but not much (this may of course be due to the fact that H!O was the primary choice for such material). 

They do not have an "Idol" category, however they have a "Live action" category. I asked about creating an "Idol" category, but response was that this seemed unnecessary as their Live Action category is not very busy. The first page under this category shows 100 torrents, and these represent 5 days of upload activity. On average on H!O all torrents daily are around 40-60 or so, which is obviously a little more active. 

So with that said, there are two alternatives that are good I think:

1) Jpopsuki, although invite only (open for registration now) and maybe strict. I don't know. It's still a useful site, and alternative. http://jpopsuki.eu/register.php
2) Nyaa which is public tracker like H!O was, and large and has been around for many years.

If we are to use nyaa for Japanese idol files (be it H!P, 48/46, Stardust, BABYMETAL, etc.) then I think it could be helpful to familiarize ourself with nyaa and their rules etc. 

Main site link: nyaa.se

Upload link (for idols, use "Live action" category): http://www.nyaa.se/?page=upload

#23 Stansfield123

Stansfield123

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

dp

#24 goodchao~

goodchao~

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

I would say H!O tracker is a semi public tracker. We still need to register to use the tracker and maintain their ratio.

The problem with other public trackers are
> No ratio restrictions. People can easily hit and run and not seeding at all. The torrents might die quicker.
> Rely heavily on search function to filter the torrent listing.

JPS have a good system. Seeding rewards. Torrent requests. Bounty for fulfilling requests. Request for reseed button. Better file categories.

Eoki3uSl.jpg

Isn't that nice? 

But yeah, we don't know how long the registration will open.

For the concern where people who don't know how BitTorrent works might get punished, perhaps it's about time for them to learn about it?

If they want to be in a sharing community, learn about it. Atleast try to get a 1:1 ratio.

And for those who didn't get the chance to join JPS, maybe that's where public tracker such as nyaa come into play?

So TLDR : Maybe JPS can be the main hub for... "early access", so to speak. And then someone can just reupload it to public tracker like Nyaa or somewhere else?

But in the end, it's up to the regular uploader to make the decision as they're the one who know where to get the files from Japan, and which method they're comfortable with.

#25 eo396b29v

eo396b29v

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

They do not have an "Idol" category, however they have a "Live action" category. I asked about creating an "Idol" category, but response was that this seemed unnecessary as their Live Action category is not very busy. The first page under this category shows 100 torrents, and these represent 5 days of upload activity. On average on H!O all torrents daily are around 40-60 or so, which is obviously a little more active. 

I agree that Nyaa is the best option. The "Live Action" category is a problem though because it's filled with just random Japanese TV shows (e.g. Kamen Rider), and the category isn't organized in any way. Even if it's not really active it's going to be hard for people who are just there for Idol content to find what they're looking for.

#26 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

I guess the biggest issue in my mind right now would be that it's going to be really difficult to collate all of the uploads and filter out the "noise" on these other trackers. The best thing about H!O was that it only dealt in idol files and as such it was easy to keep track of and find what you were looking for. I have to question how easy that would be on these other sites.

That's not to mention all of the insane rules that places like JPS have, I have an account there but I never upload anything in case I get banned for breaking some random rule that I wasn't aware of.

#27 xibo

xibo

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

I don't know how helpful this may be for some, but there's always Youtube, Dailymotion, Veoh, etc. and a browser-based video downloader. Only problem is getting stuff before it's taken down.

This reminds me how two or three weeks ago I wanted to rewatch an episode of LinQ's DiscoveLinQ which used to be hosted on Gyao (Yahoo Video) and it's friends, just to find out gyao decided to delete it. Thought I should have known better and just downloaded it while it was available instead of relying on the "ondemand content" crap. Regretted and thought if it had been The Girl's Live, while quite expensive the DVD version could be bought while DiscoveLinQ is now gone forever for what I could find out...

Youtube "streams" were always meant to be downloaded and shared outside of YouTube. At least 1/3 of our tracker was youtube rips. This is even more important now that Youtube decided to add their "Red" thing.

The problem with Jpopsuki is that when they close down registrations, many people will be left out. And I'm having trouble registering already since the site won't accept any of my e-mail addresses.

Nyaa or baka seem to me the most plausible right off the bat. I mean, I'm not one of the uploaders but I'm still seeding torrents from 4 years ago, so I'm going to follow you guys wherever you decide to go.

Like Mattthecat suggests, direct downloads could be a good momentary solution.

JPS isn't accepting my emails either.

#28 MejraThea

MejraThea

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1635 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Nevermind. 

#29 Kuroki Pyon

Kuroki Pyon

Kawaii Gumi Russia R. G. Member

• Senpai
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hello. I am from Russia. Uploaded 2-3 files on Rutracker, they are still not confirmed, very hard rules about torrent information.

I think nyaa,se is good decision, like it and dl sailormoon crystall there. But how we can see there only HIP files without anime files?

jpopsuki is very unfriendly tracker, banned many times, very hard search and ratio problems

Used hello online tracker for 10 years from 2006, very bad that it closed

Posted Image

#30 eo396b29v

eo396b29v

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

For the concern where people who don't know how BitTorrent works might get punished, perhaps it's about time for them to learn about it?

If they want to be in a sharing community, learn about it. Atleast try to get a 1:1 ratio.

And for those who didn't get the chance to join JPS, maybe that's where public tracker such as nyaa come into play?

So TLDR : Maybe JPS can be the main hub for... "early access", so to speak. And then someone can just reupload it to public tracker like Nyaa or somewhere else?

But in the end, it's up to the regular uploader to make the decision as they're the one who know where to get the files from Japan, and which method they're comfortable with.

Yeah people should learn how private trackers should work. Great. They should also exercise and eat healthier. There's lots of thing people should do. That doesn't mean they will. Plus a lot of people are on slow upload connections or in places where it's not possible, and would never be able to do that without a seedbox. I use a seedbox personally, but if I were in younger and didn't have a credit card or was in another country with slow upload speeds I would be screwed. 

This is a small community. We really don't want to be fragmenting it further with "early access" and the like.

#31 meichan111

meichan111

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yeah seems like nyaa.se is the best option but hard to find just the right things as I often find them here than there as they mostly just have the popular groups and just got into JPS so I'm too scared of uploading what I have uploaded here because it's so strict ono if just there was a way to keep the tracker going

post-122492-0-27381900-1467173567.gif
Made by Mei.ka~

@memi_0107_

#32 Mattthecat

Mattthecat

Licensed Nailpolish Caddy for Matsuura Aya

• Headquarters
  • 3090 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

@eo396b29v

You are posting a lot of myths all over the place actually.

Let's keep this calm please :)

There are a lot of good one-click hosters that don't spread malware. That could be guided with a white list

Given the seeding morale on our tracker files on hosters often have a longer life than on our tracker....

You don't need several providers on usenet. Just a single good one like giganews.

And anyone who learns how to use torrents can learn how to navigate in usenet as well.

And I have invited a dozen people to jpopsuki. But I agree that in the end jps is no option as they will close open registration at one point again

Plus a lot of our/my uploads come from streaming sites, not the other way around

nyaa is a good option but we would have to talk to them first.

I'm not sure if they look well upon a flood of our type of torrents

kickasstorrents looks good so far

You need to register but that's just a formality.

Gonna check out what it's like for an uploader...

Call me the future Mr. Matsuura (after her inevitable divorce from Keita)
Ayaya3.jpg
The Matsuurian Forum The Matsuurian Archives The Matsuurian Twitter The rest of my stuff

#33 mikachuuu

mikachuuu

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

@eo396b29v

You are posting a lot of myths all over the place actually.

Let's keep this calm please :)

There are a lot of good one-click hosters that don't spread malware. That could be guided with a white list

Given the seeding morale on our tracker files on hosters often have a longer life than on our tracker....

You don't need several providers on usenet. Just a single good one like giganews.

And anyone who learns how to use torrents can learn how to navigate in usenet as well.

And I have invited a dozen people to jpopsuki. But I agree that in the end jps is no option as they will close open registration at one point again

Plus a lot of our/my uploads come from streaming sites, not the other way around

nyaa is a good option but we would have to talk to them first.

I'm not sure if they look well upon a flood of our type of torrents

kickasstorrents looks good so far

You need to register but that's just a formality.

Gonna check out what it's like for an uploader...

isn't kickass banned from a lot of countries/isps ( you know what i mean)? I need to use a VPN to reach it not a problem but yeah. 

#34 Mage

Mage

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, Kickass is blacklisted in a lot of countries because they're a very well known public tracker. Probably not the best option of those that are available.

#35 LuisH

LuisH

6th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

- Ask the admins to make H!O/Idol category on Nyaa

- Make the tracker tab on H!O redirect to the Nyaa H!O/Idol category

--> Now we have an open well working tracker that anyone can find

I don't see a reason why the people on Nyaa wouldn't want more traffic on their site.

Edit: and with the single category we keep the timelineish feeling and everybody can follow/download their groups shows, pvs etc.

#36 Stansfield123

Stansfield123

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Someone mentioned rutracker. I registered there but am yet a bit confused given the fact that I don't speak Russian :)

Any Russians here that can provide more information?

I don't speak Russian, and I've only been using rutracker to download stuff (with the help of a translator add-on), but I PMd an English speaking uploader I know, to see what he thinks. I'll let you know if he thinks rutracker would work for our purposes or not.

Unfortunately, the more I look at how that site is organized, and how huge it is, the less optimistic I am about it. It's very unlikely they would accommodate us and create an idol related category, for instance. Their search function works (a lot better than this tracker's used to:) ), but still, it would be very inconvenient to not be able to browse all the torrents. I'm also not sure about their English language policies...every title seems to be in Russian, including the English language uploads. If that's by rule, then rutracker isn't an option, obviously.

#37 Kuroki Pyon

Kuroki Pyon

Kawaii Gumi Russia R. G. Member

• Senpai
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

Ask the admins to make H!O/Idol category on Nyaa

very good idea!! 

Posted Image

#38 syaoran_kun

syaoran_kun

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

The main problem with nyaa in my opinion is that the retention is terrible. Unless it's your weekly anime with english subs, torrents will die at a really fast rate.

#39 Ready2

Ready2

7th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

I'm not sure a completely public tracker is a good idea. There are uploaders who need to remain anonymous mainly from Japan and we can't allow to lose them. JPS should be the primary replacement until we can figure out how to move on IMO.

Not to mention torrents die way too fast on public trackers.

#40 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

- Ask the admins to make H!O/Idol category on Nyaa

I don't see a reason why the people on Nyaa wouldn't want more traffic on their site.

For your information - and this goes to everybody else reading: 

I have been talking to Nyaa staff. 

They are positive to uploaders coming from H!O to their site. 

However, they will not create an Idol category.

For those who are reading this and thinking of uploading on H!O: 

- nyaa can hide your username when you upload a file. This is an option you can use. 

- nyaa can also let you upload without an account. 

- If you're an uploader here, you could contact me via PM, and when you've registered on nyaa, contact me again with your username information, and I will contact the staff on nyaa, and they can make you into a trusted user there. This of course being an option for those here who have regularly uploaded files. If you use the hide username feature, your torrents will still appear as a trusted torrent. This is basically a mark of quality that they use.

- Furthermore, they do not store/save IP's

So, as far as being a public tracker, aside from the fact that idol files are a minor thing there, they have many good options for users. Can upload without an account, can upload with a trusted account and hide your username, the site does not store IP's. And so on. 

I'm not sure a completely public tracker is a good idea. There are uploaders who need to remain anonymous mainly from Japan and we can't allow to lose them. JPS should be the primary replacement until we can figure out how to move on IMO.

Not to mention torrents die way too fast on public trackers.

See my above post. 

They have options that seem to mirror what H!O have offered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users