Photo

H!O Tracker closure let's talk about alternatives.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1006 replies to this topic

#1 mikachuuu

mikachuuu

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

As we probably all know now haku had to shut down the Tracker. So now we need to think of what we can do to still get everyone what they desire. And maybe migrate to another tracker/service etc etc. Hope we can be civil about this :).

Obvious first guess would be "http://jpopsuki.eu/"registration is open right now. Maybe haku talked to them? No idea but might aswell register.

Another "good" way is "usenet" but it's behind a pay wall and not as easy to use. 

All i can think off right now o,o/

#2 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

Jpopsuki is one option, as you mention.

There is also http://nyaa.se - it is a public tracker, which hosts a lot of anime, manga, doujinshi, some related games, live action, and similar files. I do believe they've had idol files before. 

https://kat.cr/ is similar to ThePirateBay as it's more or less an everything goes public tracker. Perhaps this too could be an option. 

There's of course many different file sharing technologies out there, but some are only server-to-server and that's not helpful. Needs to be peer-based. Usenet as you say is behind a pay wall, and is also not that easy to use.

#3 mijumaru

mijumaru

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

good topic   :good:   try to find a solution together

#4 mikachuuu

mikachuuu

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Should probably try and stay on a Japanese/idol/Anime type of tracker (jpopsuki/Nyaa/baka?) to make it easier to find for people. Of course the main question is, are the main unloaders going to migrate or say fook it and just leave? Hope not :/ would miss those shows a lot!

#5 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

Should probably try and stay on a Japanese/idol/Anime type of tracker (jpopsuki/Nyaa/baka?) to make it easier to find for people. Of course the main question is, are the main unloaders going to migrate or say fook it and just leave? Hope not :/ would miss those shows a lot!

Yes I agree it would help if the tracker is relevant to the files that we have here. 

For what it's worth I've sent 18 PM's so far to various uploaders. Since there's different time zones around the world right now, it will probably take some hours before people wake up to read the PM's or get home from work etc. 

#6 Dalvron'20

Dalvron'20

Looking back, moving forward

• Senpai
  • 2773 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

The problem with Jpopsuki is that when they close down registrations, many people will be left out. And I'm having trouble registering already since the site won't accept any of my e-mail addresses.

Nyaa or baka seem to me the most plausible right off the bat. I mean, I'm not one of the uploaders but I'm still seeding torrents from 4 years ago, so I'm going to follow you guys wherever you decide to go.

Like Mattthecat suggests, direct downloads could be a good momentary solution.

#7 Mattthecat

Mattthecat

Licensed Nailpolish Caddy for Matsuura Aya

• Headquarters
  • 3090 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

I originally come from usenet. It's one of the most anon methods for downloaders and a lot easier to use than back then

But I admit that the downside is the necessity for a subscription to a payserver like Giganews

The other alternative are one-click-hosters, at least for the time being

Speed sucks in free mode for many but there are rather decent ones as well

It would be a good thing for smaller files though like radio shows, image packs, CD releases, PVs and stuff

We would have to make a thread (either here or on some outsourced blog) to publish the upload announcements

There are actually several JPop sites/blogs using this method already

Someone mentioned rutracker. I registered there but am yet a bit confused given the fact that I don't speak Russian :)

Any Russians here that can provide more information?

Call me the future Mr. Matsuura (after her inevitable divorce from Keita)
Ayaya3.jpg
The Matsuurian Forum The Matsuurian Archives The Matsuurian Twitter The rest of my stuff

#8 eo396b29v

eo396b29v

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

None of the current options are good but I think Nyaa is the best out of any of them. At least it's a public tracker, so it will be accessible to most people. Unfortunately, they don't have a separate section for idols so the content here would all get buried there and be hard to find. That being said, all the other options are much worse.

Someone mentioned rutracker. I registered there but am yet a bit confused given the fact that I don't speak Russian  :)

I'm not Russian, but rutracker is probably the best public torrent site in the world, in my opinion. I've found content there that I've never been able to get anywhere else, including on elite invite only scene trackers. Even stuff from more than a decade ago is often still accessible because they seed stuff very well. But as you said it's in Russian and there is no working English translation besides Google Translate (which is pretty terrible) and it's very hard to navigate. So yeah, it's a great site, but we really can't send people there.

One-click/direct download hosting sites are terrible. Any file uploaded there will be gone within a week, and the vast majority are trying to push viruses and malware on their users. I would never send a non-computer expert to a direct download site. If I did they'd be crippled by virus infections by the end of the day. 

Newsgroups are a bad idea for this. They have a very high barrier of entry in the form of both payments (which lost of people here won't be able to pay from their countries) and knowledge of the newsgroup system. Plus you typically need subscriptions on two separate newsgroup systems to deal with lost or removed files that aren't available on your particular network.

Sending people from Hello Online to JPopSuki is a really really really bad idea. (Repost from comments section) JPopSuki is a fine site and I've been a member there for more than 5 years, but it's a good site for people who are familiar with scene trackers... and no one else. Most of the people here probably aren't familiar with the labyrinthian sets of rules that scene trackers use, and they're probably going to end up getting banned if they even use the site at all. On top of that JPopSuki is usually a closed tracker which means the potential userbase is going to be a ridiculously small piece of the already small subculture of English speaking Japanese idol fans.

The Hello-Online tracker succeeded because it was an open and easy to use system and you could send people with relatively little knowledge of Bittorrent here. If someone new to Bittorrent wants to use JPopSuki they're going to have to get an invite (which they won't be able to), follow the punishing ratio rules (which they won't understand), and probably get a seedbox (which they won't even know what that is).

#9 mikachuuu

mikachuuu

5th gen member

• Senpai
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

I originally come from usenet. It's one of the most anon methods for downloaders and a lot easier to use than back then

But I admit that the downside is the necessity for a subscription to a payserver like Giganews

The other alternative are one-click-hosters, at least for the time being

Speed sucks in free mode for many but there are rather decent ones as well

It would be a good thing for smaller files though like radio shows, image packs, CD releases, PVs and stuff

We would have to make a thread (either here or on some outsourced blog) to publish the upload announcements

There are actually several JPop sites/blogs using this method already

Someone mentioned rutracker. I registered there but am yet a bit confused given the fact that I don't speak Russian :)

There is a english version of the tracker now top right corner click the blue icon and then the UK flag.

#10 Mizura

Mizura

Alt Idol & H!P

• Senpai
  • 1071 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

None of the current options are good but I think Nyaa is the best out of any of them. At least it's a public tracker, so it will be accessible to most people. Unfortunately, they don't have a separate section for idols so the content here would all get buried there and be hard to find. That being said, all the other options are much worse.

One-click/direct download hosting sites are terrible. Any file uploaded there will be gone within a week, and the vast majority are trying to push viruses and malware on their users. I would never send a non-computer expert to a direct download site. If I did they'd be crippled by virus infections by the end of the day. 

Newsgroups are a bad idea for this. They have a very high barrier of entry in the form of both payments (which lost of people here won't be able to pay from their countries) and knowledge of the newsgroup system. Plus you typically need subscriptions on two separate newsgroup systems to deal with lost or removed files that aren't available on your particular network.

Sending people from Hello Online to JPopSuki is a really really really bad idea. (Repost from comments section) JPopSuki is a fine site and I've been a member there for more than 5 years, but it's a good site for people who are familiar with scene trackers... and no one else. Most of the people here probably aren't familiar with the labyrinthian sets of rules that scene trackers use, and they're probably going to end up getting banned if they even use the site at all. On top of that JPopSuki is usually a closed tracker which means the potential userbase is going to be a ridiculously small piece of the already small subculture of English speaking Japanese idol fans.

The Hello-Online tracker succeeded because it was an open and easy to use system and you could send people with relatively little knowledge of Bittorrent here. If someone new to Bittorrent wants to use JPopSuki they're going to have to get an invite (which they won't be able to), follow the punishing ratio rules (which they won't understand), and probably get a seedbox (which they won't even know what that is).

If a lot of us do end up migrating over to JPS, could someone make a guide explaining how it works exactly and how it differs from the torrents here to prevent people from being banned? It wouldn't stop all problems, but it would be helpful to those of us who have no idea how torrenting, uploading, seeding and leeching even works.

Edited by Mizura, 25 May 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#11 kosikov2006

kosikov2006

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 3 posts

Rutracker - NO.

I'm russian!

On rutracker there are the most hardest rules of formating an upload!

See my uploads:

on rutarcker - 0 uploads for 8 years (beause many many rules)

on jpopsuki - 384 uploads for 5,5 years.

#12 Mizura

Mizura

Alt Idol & H!P

• Senpai
  • 1071 posts

Deleted. computer posted the post multiple times... :(

#13 kalemeister

kalemeister

9th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

It seems like this can be used. I've never tried it but will when I get a chance.

https://webtorrent.io/

Web browser version is implemented here:

https://instant.io/

All that would be needed after is a website to list all the magnet links that people contribute.

#14 Svipdagr

Svipdagr

9th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

The people running nyaa might create an idol category if we ask nicely, what do you guys think?

#15 Krusha

Krusha

Graduated member

• Dai-Senpai
  • 6993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:38 PM

The people running nyaa might create an idol category if we ask nicely, what do you guys think?

Definitely an idea.

#16 tkb013

tkb013

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

I don't know how helpful this may be for some, but there's always Youtube, Dailymotion, Veoh, etc. and a browser-based video downloader. Only problem is getting stuff before it's taken down.

#17 RenaiHunter

RenaiHunter

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 3876 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

As a lot of people don't like JPS's strict rules I also suggest nyaa! It's really easy and doesn't even require registration

#18 iwabo

iwabo

♥ 広瀬じゅり ♥

• Senpai
  • 3531 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

How are the rules strict? They have some of the most user friendly rules of all private trackers out there.

If a lot of us do end up migrating over to JPS, could someone make a guide explaining how it works exactly and how it differs from the torrents here to prevent people from being banned? It wouldn't stop all problems, but it would be helpful to those of us who have no idea how torrenting, uploading, seeding and leeching even works.

Why should someone write an extra guide? They have rules, just need to read those. ^_^

PSTLUtK.jpg

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

#19 kosikov2006

kosikov2006

Auditioning...

• Shinmem
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

Nya is best decision!

#20 eo396b29v

eo396b29v

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

I don't know how helpful this may be for some, but there's always Youtube, Dailymotion, Veoh, etc. and a browser-based video downloader. Only problem is getting stuff before it's taken down.

Right, but where do you think people get those clips they upload to Youtube, Dailymotion, Veoh, etc? They download them from this tracker. It's also a bad way of sharing files because everytime you upload something to Youtube the site re-encodes it and you lose quality. And Youtube in particular takes down anything related to AKB within a week usually. It's not a long term solution.

There is a english version of the tracker now top right corner click the blue icon and then the UK flag.

True, but notice that most of the buttons, fields, etc still appear in Russian. Also as far as I know the search system doesn't work properly when you use the English version of the site, or at least I've never been able to get it working.

How are the rules strict? They have some of the most user friendly rules of all private trackers out there.

Why should someone write an extra guide? They have rules, just need to read those.  ^_^

Yeah, the rules are fine if you are already familiar with private invite only trackers... which is to say that they're also incomprehensible to anyone who isn't already familiar with them. That's the problem. Again if we were sending people from one private tracker to another I wouldn't object, but we're not.

Besides the invite system is going to be our biggest problem going forward. It's an invite based site, and once they close it no one else from Hello Online is going to be able to get in. And if anyone discovers Japanese Idols for the first time a month from now, they'll never be able to get in because they won't know anyone to get an invite from. As JPopSuki's own rules say "Invites are a precious commodity."

On top of that JPS's rules also mean that no one is ever going to give invites to a new person. For example from their rules page, "You're completely responsible for the people you invite. If your invitees are caught cheating or selling invites, not only will they be banned, so will you. Be careful who you invite." 

It's a very small tracker that's usually very hard to get into, and their staff wants it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users