3 replies to this topic

#1 weeaboowoman

weeaboowoman

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:59 AM

tumblr_n846o2mfSn1t39tvlo1_500.jpg

I'm just gonna copy-paste from Wikipedia because that describes this band better than I ever can:

Urbangarde (アーバンギャルド) is a Japanese band active since 2002. The formation is based in Tokyo and is currently composed of Hamasaki Yoko alias Yokotan (vocals), Matsunaga Temma alias Tenma (vocals), Zeze Shin alias Shinsama (guitar), the drummer Kagiyama Kyoichi alias Kyouchan left the band and they are now looking for a new drummer. Yachimura Kei alias Yashi (keyboard) was also part of the band in its earlier stages.

Urbangarde's music is characterized by its blend of electronicpoprock and various other musical styles. The mix of male and female vocals from Matsunaga Temma and Hamasaki Yoko often speak of social issues in Japan such as the high suicide rate, teen prostitution, teen pregnancy, death and disease. Urbangarde's lyrics and music videos have a reputation of sometimes being shocking and thought-provoking. The name of the band is a mix of the word "urban" and part of the French expression "avant-garde" which means experimental or innovative

Urbangarde's musical styles varie from bubblegum pop to 80s style synthpoppunkprogressive rockchiptunenew wavegothindustrial and heavy metal. The members of the band sometimes define what they do as « Tokyo Virginity Pop » or « Trauma Techno Pop ». The use of visual arts to support their music and ideas is a large part of their act, with performance art, otome (virginal) and Lolita fashion. They have also been known to sometimes read poetry in live shows. Tenma is responsible for the artistic aspects of the band and notably writes the lyrics, takes care of the general design of the band's image, promotional videos and music videos. Their numerous music videos often incorporate disturbing imagery such as blood, weapons, representations of suicide and a giant Kewpie doll that is often present in live performances as well. According to Matsunaga Temma, the doll represents a baby created by modern society.[2] Red and white polka dots and sailor suites are often used as an icon of Urbangarde. In an interview for JRock247 in January 2013, Tenma said ; «There’s a “shoujo (girl)” religion unique to Japan which has the sailor uniform and straight black hair as its icons, and you can’t separate those from sexuality and gender. In Japan’s case, it’s not only the demand from the male side, but also the female side has the desire to be young and to remain as a girl. The Loli-con/Lolita complex is shared by both genders. This is based on the sense of beauty in this country centered around being a girl, and youth isn’t a weakness but sometimes a strength. All of the main characters of the Japanese anime and manga are boys and girls. We took these traditional expressions, and we cannibalized them for our PVs.» [2] It is cited on their official website that the band represents the « minority of underground cultures, virgins and otakus ».[3] For these reasons, their success grew heavily on the internet.

Obviously with a group that's been around for a few years, there's a decent amount of content. Their discography:

Singles:

• Revisionist (修正主義者) (May 6, 2007)
  • Girls War (傷だらけのマリア) (July 9, 2010)
  • Skirt Kakumei (スカート革命) (July 20, 2011)
  • Tokimeki ni Shisu (ときめきに死す) (September 28, 2011)
  • Umare te mi tai (生まれてみたい) (March 7, 2012)
  • Yameru Idol (病めるアイドル) (June 20, 2012)
  • Sayonara Sub Culture (さよならサブカルチャー) (September 19, 2012)

Albums:

• Loss Of Virginity Production
  • Shōjo wa nidoshinu (2008)
  • Shōjo Toshi Keikaku (2009)
  • Shōjo no shōmei (2010)
  • Mental Hells (2011)
  • Geiger Counter Culture (2012)
  • Koi to Kakumei to URBANGARDE (BEST OF COMPILATION)  (2013)
  • Utsukushii Kuni (2014)
  • Showa 90 (2015)

Here's a couple of their more recent PVs:

Kago Ai - Mitsui Aika - Aikawa Maho - Yamagishi Riko

#2 Telepathy/Overdrive

Telepathy/Overdrive

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

I love Urbangarde!!!!!!!!!! Their new album is fantastic, and imho a great start for anyone looking to get into their massive discography (it's my first album of theirs too lol)

#3 eRDe7

eRDe7

2nd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

I love the new album, too. My second favourite song:

#4 bloop7676

bloop7676

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

These guys are fantastic.  They use a lot of interesting progressive/technical stylings while still keeping their songs memorable and enjoyable to listen to.  I especially like the opening track on Mental Hells.  :ongaku:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users