25 replies to this topic

#1 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

tumblr_nlu4f04lA91tm8nkqo1_500.gif

On H!O we have a thread called the Food Thread, but it is mostly a list of member's favorite foods! On this thread we can share recipes and pictures of things we recently baked, cooked... neutralized? Or even talk about recipes we would like to try. We can share tips, ask questions (like how in the world do I get my bread to rise even though I use yeast) and just discuss food preparation!

To start how do I get my bread to look like this?:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo1_500.jpg

It always starts like this:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo3_400.jpg

then bakes into this:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo4_r1_400.jpg

Not literally, but it is DENSE.

#2 Snipey

Snipey

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 9188 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

Well I have this weird habit of whenever I eat rice and chicken curry, I mix in some ketchup which my family thinks is weird but man oh man does it taste good.

Also tuna wrapped in an omelette has become my favourite breakfast.
Yum.

#3 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

Do you like cook your omlette with the tuna? And like which kind? I tried canned tuna once and I was never the same again lol!

#4 Snipey

Snipey

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 9188 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:09 PM

No I make the omelette separate and then just wrap some canned tuna (either one that's in brine or sunflower oil) and just eat it similar to 'omurice'. It sounds nasty but it's really good. ^

I love canned tuna haha, actually made a sandwich with some for lunch today.

#5 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:34 PM

Ah, that sounds really good actually! I recently figured out how to keep my omlette in one piece LOL, I used to break it every time!

I like canned tuna, but I prefer jack mackerel, it has a lot more meat to it, and canned salmon. I might try that! Though I will probably still have some rice haha.

#6 TheAnna18

TheAnna18

Yes

• Senpai
  • 1818 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:22 AM

Cooking club! Alright!

Well let's see....lately I've been into making katsu curry and okonomiyaki! Okonomiyaki is great because it's delicious and super cheap since it's mostly cabbage :) I would also assume all of that cabbage would be healthy too.

Tonight I'm trying my hand at making lemon garlic chicken, so hopefully that turns out well!

@Snipey I don't like ketchup so I don't really eat it, but it seems like it would go alright with curry since (I imagine) it would be similar to katsu sauce which I already know goes great lol

siggie_zps6431208e.jpg

#7 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

Ahhh~ Take pics! It sounds so yummy ;A;

#8 Minagi-chan

Minagi-chan

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

To start how do I get my bread to look like this?:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo1_500.jpg

It always starts like this:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo3_400.jpg

then bakes into this:

tumblr_nluaiovvIl1tm8nkqo4_r1_400.jpg

Not literally, but it is DENSE.

Hmmm. Your yeast must have expired... Or maybe you didn't proof the dough long enough. Do you activate the yeast before you start making a dough? It helps a lot and it's a good indicative of the state of the yeast.

Or, you just used too much flour while you were kneading.

I don't make bread very often but I've had a lot of successes. I like baking sweet breads the most, but once in a while I try making savoury ones.

Here's my melonpan~

FaB1oSNS.jpg

Cake donuts~

79l72OWX.jpg

Naan & chicken curry~
0lWs7IWs.jpg

💚🌻从*´◇`);🌻💚

#9 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

I activate it, but you might be right on the flour thing, I usually find that my dough gets really tight really quickly. When I put it in to proof, it looks the exact same before and after. i worked at a restaurant once, but only proofed and baked, so I never actually learned how to make the dough.

I'm generally bad at baking, so bread is especially hard.

Your pictures are so cute *u* they look so perfect, like the pearls are really nice. Did you make the naan too?

On Christmas day I made that cheescake red velvet cake, but I haven't been taking pictures recently ;A;

10844034_365233143649421_1909320141_n.jp

The cocoa was pretty weak, so it came out so blush LOL, I recently started buying a better brand.

#10 Minagi-chan

Minagi-chan

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

Yeah, I made the naan myself and warped one of my baking pans in the process ^^; ... I think it was because of the high temperature naan require to be baked.

And OMFG I love red velvet cake~ that's like the best Christmas cake ever, good job. It just screams Christmas to me instead of Valentine's Day.

💚🌻从*´◇`);🌻💚

#11 TheAnna18

TheAnna18

Yes

• Senpai
  • 1818 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

About the bread:
A little science here, yeast needs water, sugar, and heat. If any of those things are missing, the yeast won't...do it's yeast stuff and make the dough rise lol. What I like to do is when the dough is resting, I fill up a sink with warm/hot water and set the bowl in there, then cover it with a towel. I try to keep the water warm at all times, so I refill the sink every 30 minutes to an hour or so. I don't have much experience making bread other than melonpan, but at the very least my melonpan always turns out perfect and I like to think it helps a little lol.

I don't really take pictures of the food I make, but I have one that my boyfriend took of my katsu curry the other day :)

NF23riT.jpg

I started making it because I have an addiction to gogo curry, but I can't afford to take the train to NYC every time I have a craving, so I started making my own! It tastes (almost) the same and hits the spot whenever I want some hehe. For the curry sauce, I just use hot golden curry mix (not mild!) and cook it normally as according to the package, except I only put in the onion. The size of the cubes depends on what size box you buy, but I use a little under two cups of water and however much mix is necessary for that amount. That's enough for me and my boyfriend to eat it :)

And....oh my GOD those donuts are tempting me so bad...I'm totally broke and I can't afford to eat anything other than what I really need (hence my eating tons of okonomiyaki lol) so I haven't had chocolate in weeks...AGHHH I NEED CHOCOLATE DONUTS...dunkin' donuts is open 24 hours....hmmm...

siggie_zps6431208e.jpg

#12 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna try to make some bread tomorrow, I'll post a pic if it doesn't take a form and become my new pet LOL

That breading ;A; so perfect. I tried to make curry recently, but like the rue was a little too thick, so it was pretty hard to eat, the flavor was good though. I didn't even know things like that exist, I thought you could only make it from scratch. I'm gonna hunt that down.

Right? They are perfect! Like how does one make donuts so perfect?

About pans, let me tell you about my pans that have recently fallen, my aunt came in a while ago, and thought she was freaking Michel Simon or something and started cooking. Like she was being laze and PUT MY BRAND NEW BAKING PANS ON THE STOVE TOP TO HEAD UP FISH. If that wasn't bad enough she demolished my spice rack. Never, ever invited over again.

#13 TheAnna18

TheAnna18

Yes

• Senpai
  • 1818 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

I've never even tried to make curry from scratch haha. The first time I tried curry it was from my old Japanese teacher, she had made some that day and brought it for me. Of course it was amazing, so I asked what her recipe was and she laughed and said something like "whatever the box says" lol. She said that she tried for years to make curry from scratch but it never turned out well, and the first time she ever made curry that tasted right was when she used a pre-made mix haha. Sometimes they sell golden curry at regular super markets, but it can be pretty expensive. If you have an asian food store near you, you can probably get a big box for a couple bucks there.

Oh, and about the breading, I like to mix two brands of panko together when I bread it. I use kikkoman, which is very fine, and colonna, which has way bigger crumbs.

I tried making donuts once on my own a few years back, they turned out alright. I didn't have an oil thermometer and it was the first time I ever tried to deep fry something so it was hard to get the temperature quite right. They weren't bad, just not that good haha.

Baking pans on a stove top...well that's definitely the first time I've heard of that LOL

siggie_zps6431208e.jpg

#14 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

For breading, I can never get it to stick, no matter the temperature it always seems to slide off, especially with pork. The only thing I've been successful with is beef and chicken tenders worked ONCE LOL. I use 4C, though I might start mixing them, that makes a lot of sense, since I see gaps a lot. 4C has a really nice texture and taste.

i made donuts once, I swear they were the ugliest donuts I have ever seen in my life. Like at that point I didn't understand the importance of oil temperature, so I just had it on high, and the outsides burned to a crisp, with a gelatinous center. I might give it another try soon.

#15 Minagi-chan

Minagi-chan

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

I made kawaii cat & dog donuts for my friend's birthday~ these are baked.

11070278_10200202470540236_12839934180082nOyfykt.jpghwy0Ul1f.jpg

I'm not too good at decorating pastries ^^; but I did my best and I think they came out okay.

💚🌻从*´◇`);🌻💚

#16 G☆LE

G☆LE

Graduated member

• Banned
  • 1422 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

Oh my gosh, those are so cute!!!!! 

#17 MaaDuu

MaaDuu

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

All the food you guys have made looks great! That dog donut is adorable. 

Minagi-chan, would you provide  a recipe for your melonpan, or did you get it from CookingwithDog? 

#18 Minagi-chan

Minagi-chan

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

It's indeed CWD's recipe! You don't have to look any further~

💚🌻从*´◇`);🌻💚

#19 Rioquette

Rioquette

5th gen member

• Banned
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

When you make a tart, is it ok to make a cheesecake filling instead of custard? I don't want to waste the crust if the custard comes out a bad texture.

#20 MejraThea

MejraThea

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1635 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

When you make a tart, is it ok to make a cheesecake filling instead of custard? I don't want to waste the crust if the custard comes out a bad texture.

I think so! There's lots of recipes for cheesecake tarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users