• Please log in to reply
5444 replies to this topic

#5041 bobvahn

bobvahn

5th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

Miki english speaking could be an assets, if only she can make a better entertaining conversation. she need to work her confidence on that. really her video in english is kinda plain not so interesting.  Hope she is not quitting like haruna,she give up too early.

As for Akane. I`m gonna be honest,  but her very first introduction video kinda killed the mood, right from the start. She like just frowning there.  Turn out first impression is very important, i mean she is gonna be idol, should make something interesting.  

well thats just my opinion.

#5042 RenaiDestiny。

RenaiDestiny。

♥ Gorilla-kun ♥

• Senpai
  • 3347 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:14 PM

I mean, you have a point regarding Miki, but Akane and certainly Haachin were not great at singing or dancing either. Even if they chose who to feature based solely on talent and not looks, they wouldn’t have been promoted.

Haachin wasn't that great at performing at all, but other than her visuals, she did bring a lot to the personality table that wasn't really allowed to be showcased outside of Morning Musume since by the time she left, they were barely doing any kind of variety. With the vocal set of Morning Musume rn, I would consider Akanechin a mid tier singer tbh. My ranking is like: Sakura > Mizuki > Miki > Masaki (it could go either way with Miki and Masaki, when Masaki's vocals are on a great day, they're amazing, but as of the last 3 years she's had more bad days imo than good days.) > Rio > Kaede > Akane > Mei > Ayumi > Maria > Yokoyan > Homare > Eripon > Chii-chan (only because her vocals are becoming so worn down and damaged as of late). Akane is far from being one of the best dancers in the group, but in my opinion, if you pay close attention to her during performances, she does have really great stage presence and she does know how to work a camera, which her first photobook also proved. But even if Haachin and Akane were added solely to be visuals, UFP fumbled that bag for them as well.

2DCV7Kc.jpg

#5043 Kurolivier

Kurolivier

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:12 PM

You mean like apart from the member that had something to sell and was confident enough to do so, they ruined the other?
I'm not very fond of the issue Japanese have with just being normal weight and not skinny, but put the blame on the fans, not the agency.

#5044 PeachCandy

PeachCandy

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

You mean like apart from the member that had something to sell and was confident enough to do so, they ruined the other?
I'm not very fond of the issue Japanese have with just being normal weight and not skinny, but put the blame on the fans, not the agency.

I am not quite sure what you mean?
But just a question, who do you think decides and has the authority to push members to the back row because they are "not skinny", the agency or the fans?

#5045 Verilian

Verilian

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1199 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

I think it's both. The agency can push members who are selling less/appealing to fans less (and sadly being skinny is part of what appeals to most of the fanbase), but that may or may not pay off for them, and the agency does exist to make money.

I'm not sure the agency has shoved Miki to the back, at least not like Akane. They're constantly featuring her in English stuff, and every other single she gets some lines. She's gotten some attention for her piano skills. She was one of the leads in Seishun Night. She did that basketball thing. I guess for fans of Miki that it doesn't feel like it's enough, because she is a great singer by idol standards and she does perform well.

Hopefully with the photobook Miki gains more confidence, and the agency also gains more confidence in her.

Mizuki, Rio // Ayano, Yuki // Rei, Ichika // Riko, Mao, Marine, Runo // Rika, Momohime

♥ Karin, Sakura, Mifu

#5046 RenaiDestiny。

RenaiDestiny。

♥ Gorilla-kun ♥

• Senpai
  • 3347 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:21 AM

Speaking of which, it seems like pre-orders for To Be Myself are open on CDJAPAN. https://www.cdjapan....t/NEOBK-2560406

2DCV7Kc.jpg

#5047 Kurolivier

Kurolivier

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:26 PM

Verilian summed up pretty much. And I'm actually not even sure the agency is pressuring the girls much regarding diet. The idols are public persona and I think they are well more likely to respond or feel like they should diet because of the internet and direct fan comments and interactions.
As for Miki herself I don't see how she is shoved to the back, apart from Fukumaasaku, and Maria for obvious reasons she do has her share of opportunities, especially with English.
Contrary to Akane and haachin who were weak enough to need extra lessons for dancing and singing. Case isn't the same at all.

#5048 PeachCandy

PeachCandy

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:55 AM

I'm aware that Miki doesn't have the same treatment that Akane has. I never specifically said Miki, I was speaking in general of members who are "not skinny". Kurolivier, in your first comment I replied to, I questioned the second half of that comment as it seemed out of place. You said to "blame the fans, not the agency" in regards to weight/body image, which I disagreed with. UFP has as much blame in why the girl feel they have to diet. While they might not be out right telling the girls to diet, young girls are aware of the subtle ways that UFP treats "not skinny" girls. For example, poorly fitting costumes and the whole Zukki situation.

The reason why body image/weight was brought up was because of Miki's blog post of how unconfident she was regarding her photobook and how that blog didn't come out of nowhere. If I were 12th generation especially the audition winners coming in at a time I needed the most guidance and witnessed what they did, I would have issues with my body and confidence.

#5049 PeachCandy

PeachCandy

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

Chel's Surprise English Lesson Episode 5 with Shimakura Rika

https://www.facebook...65585557245353/

#5050 Kurolivier

Kurolivier

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:05 PM

There's not exactly any need to be plump to have poorly fitting costumes in H!P XD
Regarding Zukki what about her and the agency, I'd love to have some explanation as I may have some missing part?
About Chel feeling not confident, she had gained weight coming back from her English training, but then again back to the egg and chicken.
I also want to point that Fukuchan isn't skinny by far, that she gets dissed online for it, and that the agency never put her in the back, because she has other points to sell.

#5051 thegabriel

thegabriel

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:18 PM

<3

Nonaka%20Miki-957870.jpg

https://www.instagra.../p/CH98jdWpSul/

J=J-段原瑠々

MM.'24-櫻井梨央  ON-中山夏月姫 

A-川村文乃  BYD-島倉りか  

TF-河西結心  KSSU-橋田歩果

#5052 Verilian

Verilian

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1199 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:18 AM

That's a gorgeous picture of Chel! She's really glowing lately.

Mizuki, Rio // Ayano, Yuki // Rei, Ichika // Riko, Mao, Marine, Runo // Rika, Momohime

♥ Karin, Sakura, Mifu

#5053 Touki

Touki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2326 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:06 AM

There's not exactly any need to be plump to have poorly fitting costumes in H!P XD
Regarding Zukki what about her and the agency, I'd love to have some explanation as I may have some missing part?
About Chel feeling not confident, she had gained weight coming back from her English training, but then again back to the egg and chicken.
I also want to point that Fukuchan isn't skinny by far, that she gets dissed online for it, and that the agency never put her in the back, because she has other points to sell.

I know it's unfair, but Fuku-chan's visual overshadows how she doesn't look as skinny as other idols

And regarding Chel, she has some points that are not typical of Japanese girls. It includes not being skinny. Sadly, most Japanese fans are still obsessed with being skinny, but I think when girls look too skinny, they also lose their charms. But then, it's Japanese fans who they have to prioritize, so I understand why companies treat not-skinny girls that way.

Let me bring out the topics regarding one former member: Haa-chin tried to look so skinny that even the manager encouraged her to eat more, and she wasn't promoted as much as other members. Key point: being skinny doesn't guarantee the idol gets promoted, but not being skinny means almost closing the door for further promotions.

#5054 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

^
Bear in mind that while Fukuchan is built on a bigger frame than most girls (she thinks her family may have originally been from Okinawa, they seem to be a bit bigger), the girl has zero body fat on her. With that face and that wagamama body how can they NOT promote her as a visual ace?

#5055 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

I mean I also don't think that Mizuki is that much bigger than other girls, but she has a wide face and, well, fat in the right places. There's still antis who call her fat, even if she isn't.

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#5056 Touki

Touki

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 2326 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:08 PM

I never consider Fuku-chan fat, and I never consider Chel fat either. It's just that from Japanese's perspective, any idols who are near 100 lbs or 45 kg are considered fat. Both Fuku-chan and Chel have thicker bodies than most idols, but fat, never to me. Both of them won't look good if they are so skinny, but I don't know how Japanese fans think. Therefore, whenever we see them trying to lose tons of weight, even with current situation, we'll find the real answer.

P/S: Off topic a bit, there are members who don't need to be skinny to draw in fans: Rikoriko. She's not tall, but her body is quite thick. One more thing, people seem to love her PBs. Therefore, I don't think there's a definite formula regarding body shapes of idols

#5057 ItsudemoAibon

ItsudemoAibon

Kago Information Network

• Senpai
  • 9506 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:54 AM

Well, RikoRiko has a kickin' body, that's why people like her, short or not. Fukuchan, too, of course. We've seen how much she exercises, there's no way she could even get fat. I suspect that were Fukuchan not an idol she would have to watch her weight. Interestingly, Beyooooonds' Honopi has discussed needing conditioning and exercise, being as she is a latecomer to the idol world I think she finds the adjustment difficult.

Back to the topic I've never felt that Chel's weight was a concern. I know she put on weight when she came to the US but returning to a Japanese diet and the MM rehearsal regimen would cause her to lose all that.

#5058 Kurolivier

Kurolivier

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:00 PM

Honopi do tend to be at the edge of "fat" for an idol yeah, well at least she isn't as fit as the others.

@Touki : yes, Haachin was never even fat from a Japanese pov, but as she was lacking in both singing and dancing she thought she had to make herself appealing by another mean. It was a wrong decision, but at least she is good now.

#5059 Juandalyn

Juandalyn

止まらない!

• Senpai
  • 5295 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:15 PM

Oharu had a time after her extreme thinness when she was indeed mocked for her gained weight. She was much healthier around that time than before, but still, for idol standards she was concidered chubby.

Honoka has mentioned at some point before becoming an idol she went on an extreme diet but since then found it much healthier to not be top idol weight but happy. However, I've never seen anyone talk about her weight - compared to Miki or Mizuki, where it's a constant topic (among hateful people, of course).

VKnn8U2.png

I, for one, welcome our new 15ki overlords.

Hello! Project Photobook Overview

Hello! Project Ages Overview

#5060 Blackmallow

Blackmallow

1st gen member

• Kouhai
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Isn't shyness and a seeming lack of confidence part of Chel's appeal? Do we really want all members to be like Yokoyama Reina? Just let her be herself and appreciate her for her charm points. Coming out of her shell will be that more satisfying. And if she doesn't, so be it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users