• Please log in to reply
4787 replies to this topic

#4781 Fallacia

Fallacia

Dating Scandal Apologist

• Senpai
  • 1484 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Either is possible, but if they spent a fair enough amount of time in Illinois as well, I'd guess that it was probably an administrative position in auto manufacture. When someone from Japan comes in for ag in the South, I'd generally expect them to land in Arkansas rather than Alabama. There had been pictures found of Miki from her time in school/dance classes, so the town was probably mentioned in a thread somewhere, but it's not coming to mind for me.

"As people go, I assure you I'm not very judgmental. That requires effort and I am a moderately lazy person." -Richard Rossetti, Chapter 16, Waking

#4782 Zoe

Zoe

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 366 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

There are more industries than just auto and companies people in the US normally would never know of.  The expats I've known have ranged from grad students, chip fabrication, and even waste/recycling.

#4783 Greyface

Greyface

Prior of The Brotherhood of The Booger Beam

• Senpai
  • 5367 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:06 PM

It could be anything, but since there is a major Toyota factory in Alabama, and a minor factory in Shizuoka, that would be my bet.
On the other hand, unless I'm misremembering something she has described her time in Alabama as deeply in the countryside... farm animals and the like, which doesn't scream "Huntsville" to me.
What I've learned about Japanese so far, is that you must first pay attention to these 2 things: Rule #1 and Context. After that, just pray they remember their high-school English class.

#4784 Zoe

Zoe

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 366 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Toyota expats would have been more likely in San Antonio during that time frame, and there's still the time in Illinois to account for.

#4785 ulises

ulises

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 695 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 PM

She studied in the Applause Fine Arts School in Sheffield (Alabama). 

jphip34269.jpg

#4786 Zoe

Zoe

3rd gen member

• Kouhai
  • 366 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Most likely NAL-Koito Manufacturing then.  Head office is in Illinois and they have a plant in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

#4787 King Zero

King Zero

8th gen member

• Shinmem
  • 12 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Nonaka's mom is cute.  I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thanks to all for your insights.  I've tried and failed to find this sort of information for years already, so it's a relief to finally know what I didn't.  

(Although now that I know there's a possible Muscle Shoals connection, I can't help imaginging Nonaka in a Skynrd t-shirt...)  

#4788 MM10Fan

MM10Fan

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 649 posts

Posted Today, 10:44 AM

Look at posts on page 6 of this thread for where she lived in Illinois and Alabama, as well as the company we think her father worked for.

Lxm1Pavx.jpg

signature and avatar by me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users