• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ps99

ps99

4th gen member

• Kouhai
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Unlike the rest of the world, there remains a popular market for CDs in Japan. The reasons for this are in this interesting article from the UK.

If its true then the price of a CD appears v excessive

http://www.independe...ne-9213133.html

#2 CAiTlin_Beat

CAiTlin_Beat

Graduated member

• Senpai
  • 1078 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

That was an interesting read, thank you for sharing :)

It's always bothered me how much a CD costs in Japan compared to the UK. JPN singles average around £7 for regular and £12 for limited editions and albums average around £20 for regular and £27 for limited editions. UK singles average around £2 and albums average around £10 for regular and £15 for limited editions.

#3 Ady001

Ady001

Work In Great Progress

• Senpai
  • 2149 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi, just surfing around the threads and this somewhat caught my eye.

To say that Japan is largely responsible for the major drop in world-wide music revenue is simply BS. The culprit is that every people across the globe just don’t like the idea of paying for music a lot anymore; Japan just happened to have robust music sales that still fan the flames in the industry. Across the globe, the music industry is at a downtrend and people these days are used to the idea that you’d rather download music for free than buy them because of the sheer convenience for it and you develop the mentality that you’re doing them the “favor” of at least listening to their music just to show you support for them when in fact it isn’t. Also, there’s also the mentality that these artists are living the lives off the rich and famous when in fact it’s the reverse.

I also don’t subscribe the idea that the Japanese are also following the rule that’s why people don’t download music off online. Rental CDs, which are strangely a Japanese concept is nearly identical to a copyright gray area. I think the reason why CDs are still somewhat preferred is because most people like the idea that music has a physical manifestation; that its creation is something you can still see and hold, like trophies in a cabinet. You also show your love to that artist by buying their CD even if it means that some if not most of it is just going through the pockets of those behind the scenes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users